Warpath til cap? 09/08/2014 10:31 AM CDT

I play a sword and board empath. I really really enjoy it and I have some RP reasons for doing it. Most empaths I have spoken with say it's just a matter of time before I go caster and get a runestaff.

I was wondering if there are any empaths who stayed warpaths post cap? I know I have given up some CS and mana levels to stay sword and board.. but is there hope I can keep the route I am on?
Re: Warpath til cap? 09/08/2014 01:45 PM CDT
I have an empath that was a warpath until a bit past 80. I found it nearly impossible to hunt well at this point. It could be done, but I found it tedious and switched to pure. I had every intention of remaining a warpath but I found it just wasn't viable, for me. I know there are some still out there but it's my opinion that a vast majority of warpaths convert before they hit their 80's. You can remain a warpath your entire time in GS, but the diminishing returns on martial training really stack up the further you go, which means you need to pick and choose what you hunt very very carefully and be willing to make some MAJOR sacrifices in other non-martial areas.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Warpath til cap? 09/08/2014 04:07 PM CDT
My empath did 1-100 with a light crossbow. I still use the crossbow in Nelemar post cap, but I wouldn't recommend sword & board as you get closer to cap. A sword just lacks the killing power to take things out quickly unless you're ambushing heads.

Empaths have a ton of setup spells you can use to make things easier if you stick with it though. When my CS was too low or I didn't have spell aim yet, spirit strike(117) was my go to.

---Mirrami
Re: Warpath til cap? 09/08/2014 06:06 PM CDT
Sword & Shield will not stay viable for long because its killing power relies on aimed attacks and/or focused mstrike, neither of which empaths have the TPs to pull off. But there are capped THW/Polearm users out there and they can hunt just fine, so if you see your character swinging for life then plan to make a switch to heavier weapons at some point. Bone Shatter remains viable as an attack/disable option at 2x spell research as it's not too sensitive to lores or CS warding margins (and you can make up for lower margins with open handed channels).

Archery is a middle ground that doesn't cost as many TPs so you can still over-train spells or pick up bolting, though unlike twohanders it doesn't really widen the scope of things you can effectively hunt.

You've mentioned RP reasons--if you want to stay with a more martial character feel and still go caster, then Shield & Brawling is a good option as well.
Re: Warpath til cap? 09/09/2014 03:40 AM CDT
You can definitely get MOC; I gained a focused MStrike around level 92 or 93. Mind you, this did come at some cost; I have a fair way to go to max out my spell circles and CS. What the heck, a gal has to have some post-cap goals. Note the total lack of lores. This build isn't about maximizing healing efficiency or combat spell CS; it's about style. Being in Voln lets me fatten upon the Undead; currently hunting the deadfall.

>>inf
Name: Guennhafyr Zauberwalde Race: Giantman Profession: Empath (shown as: Mender)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 102 (41)
Constitution (CON): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Agility (AGI): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 98 (19) ... 98 (19)
Logic (LOG): 82 (11) ... 85 (12)
Intuition (INT): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 105 (32)
Mana: 315 Silver: 20
>skill
Guennhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 204 104
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 352 252
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 51
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 300 200

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 60

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 58

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 114
Training Points: 1 Phy 29 Mnt
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

>cman info
Guennhafyr, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Disarm Weapon disarm 4
Feint feint 5
Cunning Defense cdefense 1

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3<<

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."