MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/14/2017 07:54 PM CDT
I've noticed some odd behavior with using MSTRIKE on my bard where it's very clearly changing my current target afterwards. I don't recall seeing this on my monk (who's using it with UAC) though it's possible he's likewise affected. This is particularly problematic when fighting things that take awhile to kill -- particularly when the monsters are named the same (not the case in my examples here) so it's impossible to tell which one I'm actually targetting.

In short:

1. I do untargetted ATTACK. This will choose a creature and attack it; subsequent attacks always target the same creature (unless it's no longer a valid target -- e.g. due to moving or dying)

2. A second creature comes in, so I MSTRIKE so it's out of cooldown.

3. My subsequent untargetted attacks hit the new creature rather than the original despite it still being alive.

It doesn't seem like it always happens; I haven't quite tracked down a pattern.

Some examples:

Wehntoph, Northern Face]
The peak of the mountain can be seen from this ledge, still high above you. The wind comes to greet you, its touch fierce and unwelcome. An occasional lightning flash fills the sky, though only this mountain peak seems clouded. You also see an ogre warrior that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: southeast, southwest, down
R>
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
R>attack
...wait 1 seconds.
R>
An ogre warrior swings a broad-bladed steel hatchet at you!
You dodge just in the nick of time!
>
A puma scampers in!
>attack
You swing a sonic halberd at an ogre warrior!
AS: +218 vs DS: +128 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +81 = +199
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Large gash to the left arm, several muscles torn.
The ogre warrior is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
[[ Okay, so my target should now be this specific ogre warrior ]]
R>l
[Wehntoph, Northern Face]
The peak of the mountain can be seen from this ledge, still high above you. The wind comes to greet you, its touch fierce and unwelcome. An occasional lightning flash fills the sky, though only this mountain peak seems clouded. You also see a puma, the Eledryn disk and an ogre warrior that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: southeast, southwest, down
R>
A puma scampers in, mewling in pain!
R>mstrike
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
With instinctive motions, you weave to and fro striking with deliberate and unrelenting fury!
You swing a sonic halberd at a puma!
AS: +218 vs DS: +124 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +100 = +223
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Deep slash to the puma's left forearm!
The puma is stunned!
AS: +218 vs DS: +125 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +64 = +186
... and hit for 49 points of damage!
Fine shot pierces jugular vein! The brain wonders where all its oxygen went, briefly.
The puma crumples to the ground and dies.
Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you off-balance and out of position.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
[[ Shouldn't my current target be one of the two that I attacked? ]]
R>
An ogre warrior swings a broad-bladed steel hatchet at you!
You dodge just in the nick of time!
R>attack
...wait 1 seconds.
R>attack
AS: +218 vs DS: +99 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +65 = +213
... and hit for 70 points of damage!
The puma is backed up by a strong slash to his abdomen!
The puma crumples to the ground and dies.

[[ Wait, why is my target now the puma, not the warrior? The warrior is still in the room and alive ]]

>incant 1002
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Vibration Chant to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at an ogre warrior.
CS: +94 - TD: +60 + CvA: +25 + d100: +54 == +113
Warding failed!
You focus your voice on the ogre warrior's steel hatchet, shaking its grip on it until the hatchet falls to the ground.
Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>Stance Offensive
You are now in an offensive stance.
>mstrike
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
With instinctive motions, you weave to and fro striking with deliberate and unrelenting fury!
You swing a sonic halberd at an ogre warrior!
The ogre warrior evades the attack by a hair!
AS: +218 vs DS: +123 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +53 = +177
... and hit for 46 points of damage!
Slash along the puma's lower back.
The puma is stunned!

Your sonic halberd unleashes a blast of sonic energy at a puma!
... 7 points of damage!
Blow grazes left leg.
Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you off-balance and out of position.
Roundtime: 9 sec.
R>
An ogre warrior stomps at you with its foot!
You evade the attack by a hair!
R>attack
...wait 1 seconds.
R>attack
AS: +218 vs DS: +97 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +86 = +236
... and hit for 79 points of damage!
Feint left spins the puma around!
Jagged slash to lower back.

[[ But INCANT was just targetting the warrior, which is still alive and in the room... ]]
Re: MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/15/2017 02:41 PM CDT
It is not a bug, as in it is working logically, once you understand what MSTRIKE does to your current target. One thing to pay attention to when you MSTRIKE (doesn't matter if it is UCS or Melee) the last target you swung at will be your new target.

You may not have noticed, but just prior to your MSTRIKE a new puma entered the room, thus making the line up in the room: a puma, a puma and an ogre warrior. Your MSTRIKE struck the first 2 creatures which happened to be the 2 pumas. Your last strike killed your current target, so your new target automatically selected will be the first puma and not the ogre warrior.

Your subsequent attack killed that first puma, and finally the last target in the room available was the ogre warrior. That is why your INCANTs worked afterwards because you killed everything else.

You didn't do a look in the room to see what was there, but I bet you had 2 pumas (and not one as you assumed) plus the ogre warrior.

~Contemplar~
Re: MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/15/2017 02:47 PM CDT

>A ninja puma scampers in, mewling in pain!

fixed
Re: MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/15/2017 05:19 PM CDT

>It is not a bug, as in it is working logically, once you understand what MSTRIKE does to your current target. One thing to pay attention to when you MSTRIKE (doesn't matter if it is UCS or Melee) the last target you swung at will be your new target.

The last critter you swung at in an Mstrike is normally the last critter you want to swing at. 5 capped bandits and a siren lizard, autotarget would never pick the lizard 60 levels under you as the next target, but Mstrike does that all the time. Its not critical because Mstrike gives a lot of RT in which to notice its set your target to something silly and change it, but Mstrike does set silly targets an awful lot of the time.
Re: MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/16/2017 08:16 AM CDT
Is setting your target something (one of the verbs) that can be done during RT, or must you be out of it in order to make changes?
Re: MSTRIKE targetting bug? 06/16/2017 11:18 AM CDT

Yes, sir, you can target, and also aim, while in RT.