Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/05/2017 12:24 PM CDT
Would like to suggest that the Armor Use over-training concept be extended to reducing Spell Hindrance as well. Same method, formula would work.

Using the Elf as an example, in the kraken armor (leather breastplate), trains Armor Use to 27 ranks to minimize Spell Hindrance to 6% in Wiz / MjE spells, and a -7 action penalty.
If he trains to 77 ranks (invests 700 physical training points) he gets -2 to the action penalty, reducing it to -5.
Under the suggestion, he would get that benefit, and reduce Spell Hindrance to 4% in Wiz / MjE spells.
If he trains to 127 ranks (invests 1400 physical training points and gets his hands on appropriate enhancives), he gets -2 * 2 to the action penalty, reducing the penalty to -4 (maximum reduction is 1/2 the value of the base minimum action penalty.)
Under the suggestion, he would get that benefit, and reduce Spell Hindrance to 3% in Wiz / MjE spells (maximum reduction would be 1/2 the value of the base minimum spell hindrance penalty.)

Another example: the Giant chainmail wearing Empath trains Armor Use to 50 ranks to minimize Spell Hindrance to 8% in Empath / MjS spells, and a -13 action penalty.
If he trains to 100 ranks (invests 750 physical training points) he gets -3 to the action penalty, reducing it to -10.
Under the suggestion he would get that benefit, and reduce Spell Hindrance to 5% in Empath / MjS spells.
If he trains to 150 ranks (invests 1500 physical training points and gets his hands on appropriate enhancives), he gets -3*2 to the action penalty, reducing the penalty to -7 (which also is half rounded, so max benefit).
Under the suggestion, he would get that benefit, and reduce spell Hindrance to 4% (maximum reduction would be 1/2 of the value of the base minimum spell hindrance penalty.

Could work up a summary view of anticipated impacts across the armor sub groups, if the idea has any merit.

Doug
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/05/2017 06:46 PM CDT
For a while, I thought this was the intent. As-is, there isn't a super-strong incentive to train armor use beyond the initial spell/action penalty. Once I got to 150 ranks as a paladin at level 50, I stopped cold-turkey. I may do it as a post-cap goal to get to a fifth rank of armor fluidity, but it's low priority. Having superfluous armor use ranks also contribute to reducing spell penalty, it would go from a sometime post cap to a early post-cap or maybe even pre-cap effort as well.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/05/2017 07:56 PM CDT
Would love to see this as well.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/05/2017 08:07 PM CDT
I was just thinking/talking about some way to further reduce spell hindrance, either as a service or something. This would be a most agreeable solution.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/05/2017 08:42 PM CDT
Two of my characters would appreciate this a lot right now and my other two would appreciate this eventually.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/06/2017 07:42 AM CDT
It should do something for the pure in robes/light leather too or you are just reinforcing a mutant path at the expense of the design.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/06/2017 10:01 AM CDT
I'm open to suggestions. I'll be honest, as I sit here wondering what that something might be, I keep coming back to not having any action penalty, hindrance or needing to spend training points. So maybe I can't get out of my own way on this one. Thoughts?

Doug
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/06/2017 10:57 AM CDT
Increasing evade DS for the lighter armors with overtraining would make sense to me flavor-wise.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/07/2017 06:33 AM CDT
>I'm open to suggestions. I'll be honest, as I sit here wondering what that something might be, I keep coming back to not having any action penalty, hindrance or needing to spend training points. So maybe I can't get out of my own way on this one. Thoughts?

But you are taking these advantages away. Action penalty has already gone, training points for armor aren't a limit post cap, hindrance is already the major reason to stay in light armor and you want to take even more of it away than overtraining already has.

Rogues got benefits for light armors to counter the push to every rogue in plate that would have been generated by the armor overtraining benefits without them, pures/semis would need light armor benefits or they'd be pushed another armor class above design than they already are.

>Increasing evade DS for the lighter armors with overtraining would make sense to me flavor-wise.

This already happens and is one of the reasons for rogues to be in light armor. It should be something that helps pures more than squares. Maybe padding should be more effective on lighter armor with enough training. e.g. every 10 points of overtraining pushes the randomisation minimum up by 1 (I don't think a formula that simple would work, too much benefit to squares, but it something that worked out at about that for pures).
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/07/2017 08:59 AM CDT
Perhaps opening up armor specialization to all classes and allowing more options, similar to cmans. Or allowing more armor specs to be utilized at once if you are heavily over-trained. 1 extra armor spec per every 100 ranks? For example a paladin with 200 ranks of armor use could have armored fluidity and armored casting active at the same time.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/07/2017 09:36 AM CDT
>>But you are taking these advantages away.

I'm not sure I'm following, Rath. Let me clarify my side - and if you were already there, let me know. If any character is wearing armor up to and including full leather, there is no hindrance, and action penalty (maneuver) is trainable to zero, without over training. I believe you said robes and light leather. Perhaps I should be taking that to mean 'soft leather' (the AG).

Then, for anything above that AsG, the distance to zero can only be halved, and that's at some pretty hefty training. The distance to zero in soft leathers is only 1 to 2 percent, though.

I think it's the semi arms professions that have the potential to gain the most out of the gate, but the pot should be a bit sweeter for squares, too.

Doug
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/07/2017 11:34 AM CDT
Alternatively, Armor Use could work like Shield Use and raise your defensive strength the more you train it. Or you could add Armor Specializations, available to all professions, that give a small bonus each time you train one to one of: DS, TD, padding, resistance to X, dodge/maneuver hindrance, spell hindrance, etc. Probably just for one AG, though.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/07/2017 01:53 PM CDT
From Rathboner:
>>This already happens and is one of the reasons for rogues to be in light armor. It should be something that helps pures more than squares. Maybe padding should be more effective on lighter armor with enough training. e.g. every 10 points of overtraining pushes the randomisation minimum up by 1 (I don't think a formula that simple would work, too much benefit to squares, but it something that worked out at about that for pures).

I had thought about padding too, but a caster in robes or soft leather is probably hunting in guarded and trying to not get hit, so additional evade DS would help with that goal while padding only works if an attack gets through.

From Doug:
>I think it's the semi arms professions that have the potential to gain the most out of the gate

That was my thought too, since unlike pures they can all 2x or 3x Armor Use and unlike squares they cast often enough for the hindrance reduction to matter.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 08:03 AM CDT
>I think it's the semi arms professions that have the potential to gain the most out of the gate, but the pot should be a bit sweeter for squares, too.

Its those that use armor that is fully trained in the middle of their training range that stand to gain the most from penalty reduction formulas, which is quite likely to be armored pures and magical rogues for hindrance though perhaps rangers should be there and increasing the hindrance benefit for being in brig rather than chain would be a good idea for ranger design.

>I'm not sure I'm following, Rath. Let me clarify my side - and if you were already there, let me know. If any character is wearing armor up to and including full leather, there is no hindrance, and action penalty (maneuver) is trainable to zero, without over training. I believe you said robes and light leather. Perhaps I should be taking that to mean 'soft leather' (the AG).

If you are thinking empath or cleric, yes. If wizard, maybe not.

If you are shifting the balance of costs and benefits, you should do it in a way that favors the archetype rather than the mutant. Extra hindrance reduction from extra armor training favors the mutant and does nothing for the archetype (it could be beneficial to rangers, but you were selling it for pures). Rule changes that have mutant favoring side effects are fine, but the main intent of a rule change should not be to reinforce mutant designs while doing nothing for the archetype.

>I had thought about padding too, but a caster in robes or soft leather is probably hunting in guarded and trying to not get hit, so additional evade DS would help with that goal while padding only works if an attack gets through.

Something designed to help a pure in guarded shouldn't have its main effect on a square in offensive. Those most dependent on evade DS in light armor are monks and rogues, and rogues can overtrain armor the most (actually mutant warriors and paladins, but rogues can overtrain the most without being mutant). I'm not that keen on padding either, for the same reasons, but I don't think it favors those its not intended for quite so badly, and thats why I suggested moving the minimum in the randomisation too, since I think that particular way of tweaking the formula is a bit better for pures.

Lack of things to train post cap is a problem, and pures training armor use could be one way to address that, but benefits ought mainly to flow to pures who train virtually no armor use at the moment and keep their current armor, rather than encouraging them to use heavier armor as well training more armor use. The wizard in AsG 5, not the wizard in AsG 9, the empath in AsG 8, not the empath in AsG 13 are the ones that should gain the most.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 09:50 AM CDT
>>The wizard in AsG 5, not the wizard in AsG 9, the empath in AsG 8, not the empath in AsG 13 are the ones that should gain the most

I guess that's the part I don't understand, and so I tentatively disagree. Wizards and empaths in particular don't need any more help, at all. If there are any profession problems post cap, they're very specific and isolated in such a way that a general training discussion won't help them. I suspect that would hold true for each profession. So this is not offered in the usual guise of 'help my profession' post-cap.

This is right up the middle - helps heavy armor spell casters more, and light armor spell casters less; can provide utility pre-cap, and will definitely be tackled post cap, can easily leverage an existing system.

I would like to see it sweeter for rogues and warriors. But the impact chain I would say should be semi > pure > square > monk. Square and monk take up the end only because no spells (in combat, usually) or no armor (usually).

I do like the point about 'need more post-cap training opportunities' though. Like that, a lot.

Doug
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 03:35 PM CDT
>Rule changes that have mutant favoring side effects are fine, but the main intent of a rule change should not be to reinforce mutant designs while doing nothing for the archetype.

Archetypes change, though. Even if a game had just one designer over its entire lifetime, his or her notion of what a rogue is, or what a warrior is, will change. For example, in some games rogues are restricted to light armor, and wizards can't wear any. In some, only rogues can ambush, and in others only certain professions can dual wield. There are also differences between archetypes and current "optimal" training in certain professions. There are also professions here that are more or less unique, or unique to Simu games, or implemented in unusual ways. There are also professions that may have more than one archetype. I wouldn't want to limit what a procession CAN do just because it doesn't help the archetype. I wouldn't want it to change the archetype, either, unless that's the design direction.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 03:56 PM CDT
>There are also professions here that are more or less unique, or unique to Simu games, or implemented in unusual ways.

Profession design is a discussion unto itself, and one I'd be really interested in having, but just want to say real quick that I think every profession in GS other than warriors and sorcerers is an unusual implementation compared to other games.
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 04:14 PM CDT
It would probably be a lot on the back end but what about the option to assign armor points to key areas:
Spell failure reduction - You assign enough points you can reduce it to either 0% or a very low amount, for pures this would mean a lot of points into higher ASG armor.
Carry capacity - aids in how armor weight effects encumbrance, alters the formula for races.
Padding - adds phantom padding to armor classes, a lot invested for minimal gains. Maybe something like pures getting phantom HCP at cap investment points or one step above HCP?
Maneuvers - further improves maneuverability in armor classes. investing points into this alters the formulas further to your advantage.

So you'd have the existing system of armor ranks reducing armor penalties etc, then using the points you earn to further improve it, allowing for more build options and providing benefits to the archetypes while allowing more mutant builds.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/08/2017 04:40 PM CDT
>>So you'd have the existing system of armor ranks reducing armor penalties etc, then using the points you earn to further improve it, allowing for more build options and providing benefits to the archetypes while allowing more mutant builds.

This is an interesting thought. I'd enjoy hearing more.

>>Archetypes change, though. Even if a game had just one designer over its entire lifetime, his or her notion of what a rogue is, or what a warrior is, will change. For example, in some games rogues are restricted to light armor, and wizards can't wear any. In some, only rogues can ambush, and in others only certain professions can dual wield. There are also differences between archetypes and current "optimal" training in certain professions. There are also professions here that are more or less unique, or unique to Simu games, or implemented in unusual ways. There are also professions that may have more than one archetype. I wouldn't want to limit what a procession CAN do just because it doesn't help the archetype. I wouldn't want it to change the archetype, either, unless that's the design direction.

Wow. I'd enjoy reading more of your posts (post moar!) - this one sets a great tone.

>>Profession design is a discussion unto itself, and one I'd be really interested in having

Ayep! Would be a blast.

Doug
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/09/2017 02:06 AM CDT
The point about aiding mutants is quite valid. I have a THW using empath with 101 ranks of CM, THW skill and also 30 ranks of MOC in order to have a focused MStrike. Giving her perks for further training in armor would make her obnoxious.

I do have a practical question for the armor mavens, though. I have a rogue 97 trains who is in 7x HCP hauberk. I'm overtraining her in armor ... currently 116 ranks ... and armor evasion. I plan to go to 130 ranks to get the minimum spell MnE hindrance, since she knows e-wave. However, she also has a set of FGB, which has the same padding but a lower AsG. What specific benefits would accrue from dropping back to the Brigandine? Aside from the obvious lower spell hindrance, that is. Better dodging? She has 190 ranks of dodge skill now; how much more would lowering her armor to Brig help this?
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/10/2017 07:24 AM CDT
>She has 190 ranks of dodge skill now; how much more would lowering her armor to Brig help this?

Dodge DS is reduced by a percentage factor of AP/2.
Hauberk and 130 ranks is one level of overtraining which is an Action Penalty of 15. (You need 120 ranks for this, at 116 it is a penalty of 18)
Brig and 130 ranks is two levels of overtraining which is a penalty of 8. (You need 127 ranks for this, at 116 it is a penalty of 10)

At your current training thats a difference of 8, halved for a decrease in the penalty of 4%.
At 130 ranks it would be a difference of 7%, halved for a decrease in the penalty of 3.5%.

Depending on attack type, stance, shield held, stats and spells, your dodge DS is likely to be between about 100 and 250 at the moment so you are looking at a DS improvement of 4-10.

AvD tends to get worse by similar amounts, so the AP reduction is just cancelling this out on average. (if you were 3x dodge and no shield you would see a definite but not huge advantage but it looks like a wash at 2x dodge and a shield after allowing for AvD)
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/10/2017 09:40 PM CDT
I'm not worried about a DS difference of 4-10. If I am interpreting you correctly, the defensive difference between brig and hauberk would be small, in which case, if I am facing CS casters, I'd be better off with hauberk because of the more favorable CvA.

I am also wondering about the effect of armor on my ability to evade an attack totally. Naturally, heavier armor makes it harder to duck an attack, but by how much? (Note that I have 3 ranks of armor evasion at the present time.) What is the effect of using hauberk vs brigandine on my ability to totally evade an attack?
Re: Suggestion - Extending Armor Use Over-training 06/11/2017 07:12 AM CDT
>What is the effect of using hauberk vs brigandine on my ability to totally evade an attack?

I don't think anyone knows this. My guess is that it would be based on action penalty in the same sort of way as DS and consequently be pretty small.

>(Note that I have 3 ranks of armor evasion at the present time.)
Your evasion ranks would increase the DS benefits of being in brig slightly. Maybe 6-15 rather than 4-10.

Pretty negligible unless you get nicked instead of missed by feras.