"Random", yeah, right... 12/07/2016 10:36 PM CST
It's things like this that get me to believing in some of the nay-sayers. I mean, not just a sucky roll, not even just three consecutive sucky rolls, but... seriously?!?

>You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Song of Sonic Disruption to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
>
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a stone giant.
CS: +291 - TD: +178 + CvA: +25 + d100: +3 == +141
Warding failed!
A stone giant reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 34 damage!
... 35 points of damage!
The stone giant's skull cracks with an audible "Pop"!

Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
A stone giant falls flat on the ground!
>
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Song of Sonic Disruption to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
>You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a stone giant.
Warding failed!
... 35 points of damage!
Large lesions sprout on the stone giant's shield arm.

Necrotic energy from your thick rowan runestaff overflows into you!

You feel empowered!
>
You change your tune slightly, adding the element for Song of Sonic Disruption to your song...
Your spellsong is ready.
>You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a stone giant.
Warding failed!
... 30 points of damage!
You snap the tendons in the stone giant's foot. Looks painful.

Your thick rowan runestaff pulses with a white-blue light!
You feel 3 mana surge into you!

<sigh>

On the other hand, there are times when you get a FREE cast, too...

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a stone giant.
CS: +291 - TD: +184 + CvA: +25 + d100: +48 == +180
Warding failed!
Sound waves disrupt for 58 damage!
... 55 points of damage!
The stone giant's kneecap explodes sending bone fragments flying.
The stone giant rumbles in agony as she teeters for a moment, then tumbles to the ground with a thundering crash!
The stone giant is stunned!

Necrotic energy from your thick rowan runestaff overflows into you!

You feel empowered!
Your thick rowan runestaff pulses with a white-blue light!
You feel 3 mana surge into you!

(That renewal cost 10, the mana-flare was +3, and the Ensorcelled mana flare has been running in the 10-12 mana returned range.)
Re: "Random", yeah, right... 12/08/2016 02:40 PM CST
>It's things like this that get me to believing in some of the nay-sayers. I mean, not just a sucky roll, not even just three consecutive sucky rolls, but... seriously?!?

You just randomly hit 1:10000 odds.

Which reminds me of when I was like level 5 back in 1997. I had just gotten my first mithril broadsword and thought I was the most badass character on the planet. Eager to try out my new blade, which surely will kll everything in one swing, I wandered down into the catacombs to test it out on some cave gnomes.

Lo and behold, some noob comes in and keeps poaching my kills. Then he poached me. Then I decayed and went demonic because I didn't know about deeds. So I rerolled my ranger and was trained very poorly because I thought disarming traps was for obstacles instead of loot boxes. After about level 25 I quit and made this character.

What a nice story from 1997.

~ Methais
Re: "Random", yeah, right... 12/08/2016 03:13 PM CST
For me, I was all about the "customize your look" (back then). And didn't have anywhere NEAR the patience to save up for all the way to mithril. So it was Tyron's "a white iron broadsword" and Aznell's "a white iron shield", for me.

And yeah, hobgoblins did me in.

Lady Ladydawn Diamond was the one who found me, and raised me in TS SE, in front of the General Store, as I recall. (Not, you know, that it made an impression, or anything.)

Just about THE coolest thing, though, was that she actually had "the Ladydawn disk" that was following her around. (?!?!) How AWESOME was that?!

Ahhh, good times....
Re: "Random", yeah, right... 12/08/2016 03:56 PM CST
Trolling level: expert.

http://www.elitereaders.com/expert-level-trolling/