Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/01/2016 05:18 PM CDT
Are there any living creatures considered to be non-corporeal? I'm trying to clear up some confusing statements on the Wiki.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/01/2016 06:16 PM CDT
All of the elementals in the Confluence except the earth guys. Probably more obscure ones floating (lol) around, too, but those are le only ones I know off the top of my head.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/01/2016 06:46 PM CDT

>All of the elementals in the Confluence except the earth guys

are those non-corp or something else?
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/01/2016 08:30 PM CDT
Non-crittable creatures are not non-corporeal so to speak. The elementals dissolve into gems, so I don't consider them non-corporeal. I think by definition, only undead can be non-corporeal, but...I suppose there are critters that are similar.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/02/2016 08:49 AM CDT
Volners using the appropriate symbol.

However, the messaging is written for undead critters, so it would be bad design to use it for other types.

e.g. "Weak blow to neck wouldn't have scared the [target] even if it were still alive."
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/02/2016 02:06 PM CDT
I believe fire sprites are non-corporeal, living, arrows sail through them and they cannot be eye crit.

Non-corporeal and undead are completely separate.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/02/2016 02:24 PM CDT

>Non-corporeal and undead are completely separate.

well there is conflicting information for that conclusion, and I will not take anyone's word for it for the Wiki unless it's a dev GM.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/02/2016 08:53 PM CDT

For what it's worth, Fire Guardians (in Solhaven) are also non-corporeal and not undead.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 01:23 AM CDT
>Are there any living creatures considered to be non-corporeal? I'm trying to clear up some confusing statements on the Wiki.

What's the specific trait that you're interested in? Merely flavor and naming convention, or are you asking about some specific system mechanic?
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 07:57 AM CDT

>What's the specific trait that you're interested in? Merely flavor and naming convention, or are you asking about some specific system mechanic?

mainly being able to classify them clearly. The non-corporeal page referred to living non-corp, but when it came to the list, it had zero living on it, and even the "what links here" page has zero creatures at all linked to it.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a GM going in and fact checking the article.

https://gswiki.play.net/Non-corporeal

"Many of these creatures will evaporate quickly after death, much faster than the usual natural creature decay."

Do they all (instead of many) evaporate quickly?

"Usually, they cannot be killed by a critical injury, they do not take wounds from damage"

Are they all immune to critical kill shots (instead of usually)?
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 09:13 AM CDT
I added details on decay and looting, plus a mention of the crit table.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 10:15 AM CDT
>"Usually, they cannot be killed by a critical injury, they do not take wounds from damage"

To the best of my knowledge, the noncorp crit table explicitly prevents critical wounds and fatal critical effects. I assumed the "usually" here means "under normal circumstances", i.e. without being made corporeal by Kai's Smite or Phase. The sentence could use clarification either way.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 10:22 AM CDT
Those are both in the article.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 10:55 AM CDT
>Those are both in the article

Yes I quoted the article and asked for more definitive statements
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 11:56 AM CDT
>Yes I quoted the article and asked for more definitive statements

"The sorcerer spell Phase (704) possesses a feature that forces non-corporeal creatures into physical form, which subjects them to the normal limitations and weaknesses that corporeal creatures have."

"Kai's Smite is obtained at the twenty first step of the Order of Voln. This attack is activated via the SMITE (verb) and NOT by invoking the symbol. When the attack connects with a non-corporeal creature, instead of doing damage, it will temporarily corporealize it."

That looks pretty definitive to me.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 12:03 PM CDT
>Do they all (instead of many) evaporate quickly?

Wraiths (which are skinnable) don't evaporate.

I would interpret "non-corporeal" as creatures that use the non-corp critical table.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/03/2016 01:15 PM CDT

>That looks pretty definitive to me.

except you're not dev staff.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/04/2016 12:44 AM CDT
>mainly being able to classify them clearly.

A general classification may be difficult. The term "non-corporeal" is usually used in a descriptive sense rather than in a narrow technical sense, especially in our documentation. We have a narrow technical sense in the actual code, but there's no guarantee that any individual mention of "non-corporeal-ness" adheres to that technical definition.

That said, the technical version of "non-corporeal" is that the creature has no body parts that are corporeal and has several body parts which are specifically marked as non-corporeal. A creature that has no body parts at all (as per certain elementals) is not considered non-corporeal. The major difference between being non-corporeal and having no body parts (for standard combat purposes) is that the former can be affected by abilities and spells like SMITE and 704, while the latter cannot. There is also special messaging for non-corporeal undead but not for non-corporeal living or no-body-part creatures. Neither non-corporeal nor no-body-part creatures can be wounded (or crit-killed, which is based on wounding). And for completeness, certain corporeal creatures cannot be crit-killed, but may be wounded.

>Do they all (instead of many) evaporate quickly?

Evaporating quickly isn't part-and-parcel of non-corporealness. I'd guess that at least 90% do evaporate quickly, but I can think of a few that don't. It is a per-creature setting.

>Are they all immune to critical kill shots (instead of usually)?

This is part-and-parcel of non-corporealness, yes. Note that this refers to standard melee, ranged, bolt, unarmed, and maneuver combat -- spells and unique damage systems may have their own rules.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/04/2016 09:00 AM CDT

awesome, thank you, that's very helpful. I have a feeling the list is extremely limited, can you provide the list of current non-corp living creatures?
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/04/2016 09:18 AM CDT
I love reading explanations like this, thank you.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/04/2016 10:07 AM CDT

Also, what are firephantoms? They are classified as having an elemental body type (on play.net chart), but were also put on the non-corporeal undead list.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/06/2016 07:52 AM CDT
What the page now says about looting is technically inaccurate, but I've dealt with it by adding an extra section about creature timers to the roundtime page rather than the non-corp page.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/06/2016 02:35 PM CDT
>Also, what are firephantoms?

Annoying is what they are!

They don't crit and they dissolve quickly. They should be the same as tree spirits overall, except their immunity to fire.

They do count as "elementals" as far as, say, collection for an elemental soulstone. So they are elemental non-corporeal I suppose.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/06/2016 10:58 PM CDT
>I have a feeling the list is extremely limited, can you provide the list of current non-corp living creatures?

None that I know of. The system supports it, but I don't think we've ever made any. (I suppose you could make an argument for Voln members under the effects of Symbol of Transcendence being living non-corporeal creatures, of course).

>Also, what are firephantoms? They are classified as having an elemental body type (on play.net chart), but were also put on the non-corporeal undead list.

They're non-corporeal. If you attack them and get flavor messaging, they're non-corporeal. If you just get damage, they're bodiless (or living non-corporeal, if we ever make such a thing).
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/09/2016 08:43 PM CDT

What CMANs work against non-corporeals? I have found that feint works, but are there any others? Want the info instead of having to test them all please.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/10/2016 07:52 AM CDT
>What CMANs work against non-corporeals? I have found that feint works, but are there any others? Want the info instead of having to test them all please.

I can't think of any other non-contact disabler besides feint, though things like mobility and the passive bonuses all work. If you require contact, it has to be physical. (e.g. disarm will work if it has a physical weapon)

Magic may or may not work (manoever spells often work, but I don't know whether the magic CMans do or not)
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/10/2016 01:14 PM CDT

Thank you.

Voln smite ought to open up the amount of CMAN disablers and spells that can work on non-corp. For instance, I can voln-smite an undead and then "leg" it; I ought to be able to voln smite an undead and then possibly be able to trip/kneebash/sweep it too (depending on the creature).
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/13/2016 05:17 PM CDT

https://gswiki.play.net/Non-corporeal

https://gswiki.play.net/Creature_action_timer

I've revised the roundtime portion to include the creature action timer, and created a new page for the CAT. One thing that Rathboner wrote in his CAT description that I need more clarification on and would like to put examples on the page, is his statement that "Roundtime from different actions does not stack on creatures, but roundtime does stack on action time."

So Pain + Pain would stack, but Pain + Disarm would not? Which RT would prevail?

I also request GM verification of both pages.

Thank you
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/14/2016 06:19 AM CDT
>So Pain + Pain would stack, but Pain + Disarm would not? Which RT would prevail?

You can't stack with other roundtime. You can stack roundtime on top of the critters action time. These stack if the first Pain is cast by the critter, and not if they are all directed at the critter. I changed the wording slightly to make this clearer on the wiki.

I'm not entirely clear as to the extent roundtime can be refreshed, but I think that is what happens.

e.g.
Critter with 8s action time cast Pain at sorcerer. Sorcerer spends 2s sneering at the pathetic attempt to ward and then casts Pain back for 4s worth of RT.

The critters action timer ticked down to 6s during the sneering and it now has 4s of roundtime before it can start ticking again making for 10s till it will act again.

Another second later warrior stops cowering behind sorcerer and disarms for 6s of roundtime. I think this refreshes the critter roundtime from 3s to 6s, pushing the time till the critter acts again up to 6+6=12s, but it definitely does not stack it to 6+3+6=15s.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/14/2016 06:32 AM CDT
>So Pain + Pain would stack, but Pain + Disarm would not? Which RT would prevail?

Normally RT inducing actions can't be repeated, a critter without a weapon can't be disarmed, a prone critter can't be swept etc. Those that can are special cases and may have special rules to prevent abuse. Feint does have a special rule, I don't know whether Pain does or whether its still abusable in the way feint used to be.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/14/2016 07:03 AM CDT

>These stack if the first Pain is cast by the critter, and not if they are all directed at the critter.

I disagree with this. Pain does (seem) to stack. In my 2 or so years of animating defenders, I did it by stacking pain on them. One pain was hardly enough to get the gem, spread it, cast 730, because I did it manually. I needed at least two casts on.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/14/2016 12:05 PM CDT
>I disagree with this. Pain does (seem) to stack. In my 2 or so years of animating defenders, I did it by stacking pain on them. One pain was hardly enough to get the gem, spread it, cast 730, because I did it manually. I needed at least two casts on.

Sounds like some sort of bug in Pain to me or something in your tactics that was allowing a timer to tick while you were bleeding them down with some other spell if you only used Pain as a finisher.

If you waited till they acted and then threw Pain to finish them, it shouldn't have mattered whether it was one or multiple successive casts, you should have ended up with in the region of 10-15s to do your business before they faded (of which the first 3s would be your cast RT). Which should be enough, but without having a couple of macros to hit to do the business for you might not be much to spare.

e.g. 705*n doing enough damage to drop it to within one Pain's worth, wait to be charged (or swung at or the defender run to the next room etc.), Pain, animation business should work exactly as well as 705 until 2 Pain's worth of hits left, wait to be charged, Pain, Pain, animate. If you aren't waiting for the critter to act, then your different tactics might be tending to leave it with different amounts of time on its action timer before you stalled it with Pain and hence consequences for how easy it was to do your business before it faded.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/14/2016 12:08 PM CDT

As I said before, I am mainly looking for GM answers. I apologize if you were former staff, and your contributions have been extremely helpful, but when it comes to a final determination I do need something official.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/16/2016 10:17 AM CDT

Rather than vandalizing a page, you could simply share an old official post, or wait like the rest of us.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/16/2016 07:05 PM CDT
I would appreciate an official comment as well since it was a long time ago and is unclear at this point.

However, while I cant speak for Pain I was always under the impression Cmans functioned similar to what Rathboner is saying either replacing a shorter RT or not applying one at all. For example, Warcry bellow (20 RT) followed by Wtrick feint (8 RT) does not add 28 seconds to the creature timer. Feint will still force stance but will not generate RT leaving only 14 RT + creature action RT remaining after recovering from the feint. If I feinted first then followed with bellow the longer RT would override the shorter RT leaving 17 RT + creature action RT after recovering from bellow.
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/16/2016 09:48 PM CDT

>However, while I cant speak for Pain I was always under the impression Cmans functioned similar to what Rathboner is saying either replacing a shorter RT or not applying one at all. For example, Warcry bellow (20 RT) followed by Wtrick feint (8 RT) does not add 28 seconds to the creature timer.

Yes, but who said we were only talking about CMANs?
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/16/2016 09:59 PM CDT
My guess would be the people only talking about CMANs
Re: Non-corporeal non-undead? 09/16/2016 10:07 PM CDT

>My guess would be the people only talking about CMANs

if he's only talking about CMANs then he should have indicated that in the article, but he didn't, and further posted here that the spells were not working properly. He wrote a sweeping statement that RT cannot be stacked on creatures and got upset when I questioned it and asked about specific examples. This is why I am asking for staff confirmation, or some post from way back. Summarized since the posts were removed by Mr. Mod when we were finally getting somewhere :)