Weird Bolt DS Issue 07/28/2016 08:32 AM CDT
TLDR can be found here: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?103245-What-s-up-with-my-bolt-DS

I noticed the other day that my bolt DS was abnormally low (mid 300s, when normally I sit at around 500 self cast in offensive) when I got blown up by an earth elemental in the Confluence.

Was checking my bolt DS later on, and long story short, my bolt DS is really low when I cast at myself, but normal when someone else casts at me:

>stance
You are currently at an offensive stance.

Friend hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
AS: +272 vs DS: +509 with AvD: +59 + d100 roll: +49 = -129
A clean miss.

>prep 908
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Fire...
Your spell is ready.
>cast

You gesture.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at yourself!
AS: +479 vs DS: +323 with AvD: +59 + d100 roll: +50 = +265
A layer of shifting stone shatters!
... and hit for 139 points of damage!
Fire completely surrounds Methais. Blood boils and heart stops.

~ Methais
Re: Weird Bolt DS Issue 07/28/2016 09:05 AM CDT
>>my bolt DS is really low when I cast at myself,

Once upon a time, in a land long forgotten and far away. . .

Prior to de-ICE-ing, there was a flat -50 penalty to DB for such shenanigans. With the advent of GSIV (I think?) we went pretty heavily into things like Evade, Parry. Now, I believe, such shenanigans remove your EBP portion of your DS, which usually is a bit more than 50.

But in either system (the GSIII OB / DB / THT system or the GSIV AS / DS / >100 system) the message is still clear:

Real wizards do not cast at themselves!

Doug
Re: Weird Bolt DS Issue 07/28/2016 10:00 AM CDT
There also used to be a -50 TD for self-casting (to include "casting at others in your group", for things like AirWall).
Re: Weird Bolt DS Issue 07/28/2016 09:14 PM CDT
As I recall, if a mage cast at themself in GS2, you got a message that said, "Smooth move, Merlin!"

:)