Target Random 03/29/2016 06:10 PM CDT
What part of "Target Random" is random?

I've been using the following script for casting Balefire:

put target random
put stance offensive
put incant 713

The first time I run the script in a room with multiple critters, it always targets the first critter in the room. If critters come and go, then the second time I run the script in the same room, it always targets the same critter as the first time I cast, even if that critter is no longer the first critter.

Is there some other setting I need to change to get a random target?

Despite the fact that I've been playing this game a long time, I am fairly new to the target and incant stuff. I mostly use prep and cast, which seems to work well with CS spells. For bolt spells, though, I like the incant system better.
Re: Target Random 03/31/2016 05:06 AM CDT
Its not random, just not deliberately chosen by you. If you want genuine randomisation, you'll need your own script to do it for you.
Re: Target Random 03/31/2016 06:08 AM CDT
My reply is almost off-topic but, is there a reason you want a random target as opposed to an explicit one?

I agree targeting :something: in the room is good. Especially if you want to kill X and Y walks in the room and you blindly incant you will usually hit Y (like you said, it usually goes for the first thing in the room).

So, kind of a philosophical question, but why do you want a random target?

I'm definitely with you that because "target random" exists well, it ought to do what it says it does, I just never saw the point of it.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Target Random 03/31/2016 08:34 AM CDT

<< So, kind of a philosophical question, but why do you want a random target? >>

Good question. I want a random target for the following reasons: (1) Balefire causes so much screen scroll from the demon flare and splashes that I can't keep up with whether or not I killed the primary target; (2) critters are constantly entering and leaving the room, and it is easier just to hit a random critter; (3) when there are multiple dangerous critters, hitting an injured critter is usually less productive than hitting a fresh critter, but there's so much scroll that I'll settle for hitting a random critter and hoping that it is a fresh critter; and (4) you're just as likely to excel by luck as by effort.
Re: Target Random 04/05/2016 12:33 PM CDT

If you use the combat window to set a target, the current target is always at the top of the list, so you can guarantee a switch by clicking something lower down.
Re: Target Random 04/10/2016 11:46 PM CDT
bug
Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 03:35 AM CDT
So long as we're on this topic...

I want to focus MSTRIKE creature A. Another creature of same type walking to the room as I hit enter. One creature is stunned and kneeling, the other is in defensive.

Is there any way to avoid this? If I say MSTRIKE OTHER ARBALESTER when there's only one in the room, it won't work. If I say MSTRIKE by itself, it will open MSTRIKE. I checked the MSTRIKE HELP and it has nothing.

Another minor annoyance of course if if I MSTRIKE (open) as a target walks out, or kill the target of a focused version on the first hit and the RT is still as if I've made more swings. Before MSTRIKE was limited in power by the recovery I can see how spamming this might be too good.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 05:12 AM CDT
>Is there any way to avoid this?

click on the critter and select target (if its already targetted, the option won't be available so this is also another way of making sure you are switching targets between strikes)
Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 10:40 AM CDT
>Is there any way to avoid this?

>click on the critter and select target (if its already targetted, the option won't be available so this is also another way of making sure you are switching targets between strikes)

Well okay besides that my FE is purely text based (no clicking), let me understand this. If I am targeting a creature (say by clicking, though I assume by "target creature" is also okay when only one is in the room), what is then the appropriate verb to execute a targeted mstrike on said creature?

Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 01:31 PM CDT
IYou can target while in RT, so target right away. (Target orc, target other/second orc, target third orc, etc.) Then just MSTRIKE TARGET.
Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 06:56 PM CDT
>Then just MSTRIKE TARGET.

Ah ha! If this works verbatim ('target' and not the creature noun) it was definitely what I wanted to know!

I'll test it and see tomorrow. gswiki does not make this clear, nor does the in-game help.

If 'TARGET' should be a creature noun and not verbatim TARGET I'm still lost.

Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 08:48 PM CDT
The command is indeed MSTRIKE TARGET. It's one of my macros.
Re: Target Random 04/11/2016 08:55 PM CDT
Updated gswiki to mention that.
Re: Target Random 04/12/2016 03:31 AM CDT
Thanks!

I only gave my paladin this skill around February, so it's been confusing me for a couple months. Though when it works, it works!!

I appreciate the help.