Prev_page Previous 1 3
New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 01:51 PM CST
The new Quickstrike combat ability is now available to all characters. It allows physical combat actions to be performed at a reduced RoundTime for a stamina cost proportional to the amount of reduction and to the equipment involved. Such reduction may be specified as either a modifier to the base RoundTime of an action or as a desired absolute RoundTime, and can be invoked as part of a combat command or as a separate command that applies to the next combat action. Examples include:

QUICKSTRIKE -2 AMBUSH KOBOLD RIGHT LEG (ambush the kobold with a -2 RoundTime modifier)

QUICKSTRIKE 3 (perform the next combat action in no more than 3 seconds of RoundTime)

Additional examples, and a full listing of all applicable combat actions, is available via QUICKSTRIKE HELP.

The stamina cost is calculated as: (10 + (primary_equipment_speed + (secondary_equipment_speed / 2))) per second of RT reduction. Two-handed weapons have a 1.5x speed multiplier and ranged weapons have a 2.5x speed multiplier in this calculation. If insufficient stamina is available for the specified reduction, a lesser reduction at lesser cost may take place based on what stamina is available. RoundTime cannot go below one second.

The Quickstrike ability may also be invoked via the QSTRIKE verb.

Due to this update, the existing Quickstrike Combat Maneuver should be considered obsolete. Fast migration has been enabled to unlearn the maneuver, and it will be fully replaced at a later time.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 01:54 PM CST
As a followup to the official announcement, I'll provide some example numbers.

- Shortswords are speed 3 and have the following quickstrike stamina costs: 13 (-1RT), 26 (-2RT), 39 (-3RT), 52 (-4RT)
- Broadswords are speed 5 and have the following quickstrike stamina costs: 15 (-1RT), 30 (-2RT), 45 (-3RT), 60 (-4RT)
- Claidhmores are speed 8 (*1.5 = 12) and have the following quickstrike stamina costs: 22 (-1RT), 44 (-2RT), 66 (-3RT), 88 (-4RT)
- Longbows are speed 4 (*2.5 = 10) and have the following quickstrike stamina costs: 20 (-1RT), 40 (-2RT), 60 (-3RT), 80 (-4RT)
- Sweep (guildskill or cman) is speed 0 and has the following quickstrike stamina costs: 10 (-1 RT), 20 (-2 RT), 30 (-3RT), 40 (-4RT)
- Charge (cman) using a lance is speed 9 (*1.5 = 13) and has the following quickstrike stamina costs: 23 (-1RT), 46 (-2RT), 69 (-3RT), 92 (-4RT)

Note that the RT reduction is not capped at -4; I simply have not calculated past that point in the examples above. If you have encumbrance such that you swing a short sword in 15 seconds, you can get a -14RT reduction by spending 182 stamina.

If a combat maneuver doesn't use any equipment (e.g., sweep, dirtkick, barehanded feint, etc.) then it has speed 0. Shields have a speed of (2 * shield_size). Note that although quickstrike on its own will not take you to negative stamina, quickstrike plus a combat maneuver (or a stamina-costing multistrike, etc.) may take you into negative stamina. This is intentionally allowed.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 02:21 PM CST
Is there going to be a QUICKSTRIKE button coded into the combat window of Stormfront to go along with this to make it easier for those of us who hunt using mouse clicks versus macros or typed commands?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 02:40 PM CST
>Is there going to be a QUICKSTRIKE button coded into the combat window of Stormfront to go along with this to make it easier for those of us who hunt using mouse clicks versus macros or typed commands?

There already is, but you'll either have to logout/login or reconfigure your combat panel to see it. It doesn't update automatically when already "built" at login.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 02:53 PM CST
>>There already is, but you'll either have to logout/login or reconfigure your combat panel to see it. It doesn't update automatically when already "built" at login.

Yep, I saw it after I logged my mage in. Not the most ideal for her, but it'll do.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 03:13 PM CST
any chance there can be a mnemonic of "qstrike" for us typers. Testing the least amount of letter and disconnect from "qui" once! Small thing but helpful.

Also, since (unlike cman qstrike) it is not a direct combat command but a setup like AIM or TARGET, can it please be allowed to setup your next move with the new verb while in rt?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 03:16 PM CST
Also, the cman qstrike still works and if possible (without yet knowing what cman replacement you thinking about), would prefer it stay active/functional for lower stamina cost, unaimed, higher minimum rt cap, and the 30 cman pts limited to 3 professions (at rank 5).

More options is good!
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 03:52 PM CST
Does this work with Throw? If not, could that be considered going forward? If the idea was to help minimize the impact of haste being lost, I do hope thrown attacks were taken into account as well.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 03:56 PM CST
How does this apply to uac? Does it apply to hide?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 04:00 PM CST
>How does this apply to uac? Does it apply to hide?

>Does this work with Throw?

Here's the in-game help:

QUICKSTRIKE {modifier} {action...} - Perform the specified action with the specified roundtime modifier
QUICKSTRIKE {modifier} - Use the specified roundtime modifier on your next combat action
QUICKSTRIKE {time} {action...} - Perform the specified action with the specified absolute roundtime
QUICKSTRIKE {time} - Use the specified absolute roundtime on your next combat action
QUICKSTRIKE STOP - Do not use a queued modifier/time on your next combat action
QUICKSTRIKE HELP - This help text
{modifier} should be a negative number indicating the roundtime reduction desired
{time} should be a positive number indicating the absolute roundtime desired
Valid combat actions are:
AMBUSH HURL STUNMAN (ATTACK)
ATTACK JAB SUBDUE
CHEAPSHOT KILL SWEEP
CMAN (various) KICK TACKLE
COCK MSTRIKE TRIP
DISARM (weapons) PUNCH WTRICKS (FEINT, SATTACK)
FIRE SHIELD (various)
GRAPPLE SMITE
Examples:
QUICKSTRIKE -3 ATTACK THIRD KOBOLD - Attack the third kobold at -3 seconds to your normal roundtime
QUICKSTRIKE 2 CMAN CHARGE STORM GIANT - Charge the storm giant at a total roundtime of 2 seconds
QUICKSTRIKE -1 - Perform your next combat action at -1 second to your normal roundtime

I don't see anything obviously missing from there. Even STUNMAN ATTACK and crossbow users get to speed up COCKing.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 04:03 PM CST
Thanks PFLATS.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 04:16 PM CST
>any chance there can be a mnemonic of "qstrike" for us typers.

>The Quickstrike ability may also be invoked via the QSTRIKE verb. (release post)
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 04:17 PM CST
May still need to be updated.

>qstrike -1
Please rephrase that command.

>quickstrike -1
You prepare yourself to strike quickly on your next combat action.
[You will attempt to remove up to 1 second of RoundTime from your next combat action.]

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 04:24 PM CST
>How does this apply to uac? Does it apply to hide?

It affects all the verbs in the help text, which was also posted by PFLATS. Quickstrike is for explicit combat actions only, which doesn't cover hiding.

>May still need to be updated.
(With reference to QSTRIKE).

So it did. And now it has.

I'm also aware that the "qui" abbreviation currently makes you "QUIt" instead. That interpretation is hard-coded into the engine. I've already made inquiries into getting it changed, assuming it won't break anything else.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 05:00 PM CST
How does quickstrike affect MStrike attacks?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 05:47 PM CST
By speeding it up, if you choose, at the expensive of stamina.

So, you can do a 1 second mstrike for example. The stamina cost will depend on what you have in hands if anything, if a uac mstrike or old fist mstrike and if the spell 506 is on you or not (and who cast it).
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:22 PM CST
It looks like something funky is going on with quickstrike, 506, and crossbows. When I cast 506 Celerity and use the normal commands FIRE and COCK I am seeing a reduced round time like I used to with haste. Which is fine really!

I can do QUICK 1 FIRE and see the expected results but QUICK 1 COCK CROSSBOW returns messaging to the effect of "I do not see that here." or something to that effect. QUICK -1 COCK CROSSBOW also give the same message. QUICK 1 then COCK CROSSBOW works sometimes. I haven't been able to figure out when and why.

Now, the char is completely unencumbered, and at one point I had the custom haste spellprep added to him, if that makes any difference.

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:40 PM CST
>I can do QUICK 1 FIRE and see the expected results but QUICK 1 COCK CROSSBOW returns messaging to the effect of "I do not see that here." or something to that effect. QUICK -1 COCK CROSSBOW also give the same message. QUICK 1 then COCK CROSSBOW works sometimes. I haven't been able to figure out when and why.

Fixed. Thanks.
Quickstrike anomaly? 01/15/2016 07:51 PM CST
Just for laughs, I decided to try out the quickstrike thing with my warpath. This could make her even more fearsome! The results, however, were rather puzzling.

>>The sea nymph focuses its voice on you, but you are unaffected.
>quick -3
[You will attempt to remove up to 3 seconds of RoundTime from your next combat action.]
>stamina
Maximum Stamina Points: 179
Remaining Stamina Points: 179

Stamina gained per pulse: 48

Stamina abilities:
STAMINA BURST - Dig deep for a burst of energy.
STAMINA SECOND WIND - Mastery over your body keeps you fighting when others would falter!
mstrike nym
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
You explode into a fury of strikes and ripostes, moving with a singular purpose and will!
You swing a superior mithril flail at a sea nymph!
AS: +202 vs DS: +0 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +96 = +340
... and hit for 164 points of damage!
Well placed shot pierces knee, that hurt!
The sea nymph falls to the ground and dies.

Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you winded and out of position.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
Roundtime changed to 5 seconds.
R>
A sea nymph swings a dagger at you!
You skillfully deflect the attack with your flail!
R>stamina
Remaining Stamina Points: 119

>
A sea nymph swings a dagger at you!
AS: +50 vs DS: +605 with AvD: +13 + d100 roll: +18 = -524
A clean miss.
The sea nymph looks a little dubious about her situation.
A sea nymph heads east.
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
You feel recovered from your whirlwind flurry of strikes.<<

3 second RT reduction for 8O stamina cost. A bit pricey, although I could do it 3 times. I wondered what 4 seconds off would be like, so I tried it.

>quick -4
[You will attempt to remove up to 4 seconds of RoundTime from your next combat action.]
>sw
[Coastal Cliffs, Wet Ravine]
Cold, damp, rock forms the walls of this narrow ravine. Prickly vines dangle from crevices in the rock, catching at your clothing and scraping your skin as you move. You also see a sea nymph.
Obvious paths: northeast, south
>stamina
Remaining Stamina Points: 167

Stamina abilities:
STAMINA SECOND WIND - Mastery over your body keeps you fighting when others would falter!
>mstrike nym
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
You explode into a fury of strikes and ripostes, moving with a singular purpose and will!
You swing a superior mithril flail at a sea nymph!
AS: +202 vs DS: +10 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +77 = +311
... and hit for 151 points of damage!
Hard blow breaks the femur!
The sea nymph falls to the ground and dies.

Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you winded and out of position.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
Roundtime changed to 4 seconds.
R>stamina
Remaining Stamina Points: 87

Stamina abilities:
STAMINA SECOND WIND - Mastery over your body keeps you fighting when others would falter!<<

Hang on there! It looks like the stamina cost for 3 and 4 second RT reductions are ... the same?? In which case, why ever go for 3 seconds off instead of 4? Is this a bug?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:53 PM CST
Reread your log.

1st was 60 stamina, 2nd (at -4) was 80.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:54 PM CST
qstrike -1 is working but qstrike 1 is still not active. I can set the reduction but not a minimum that way.

Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:57 PM CST
Neither works for me, yet. No qstrike variation I've seen.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 07:59 PM CST
Yeah, now I cannot get either to work. Must be in the process of updating something.

Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:01 PM CST
Arg! Math impairment strikes again!

OK, so it looks like the stamina cost is RT reduction x 20?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:11 PM CST
>qstrike -1 is working but qstrike 1 is still not active. I can set the reduction but not a minimum that way.

>Neither works for me, yet. No qstrike variation I've seen.

What form of quickstrike are each of you referring to?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:12 PM CST
The new one, did you think we meant the cman?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:13 PM CST
At least for me, I am trying to use the qstrike command to set up the RT reduction for my next action. qstrike in general does not seem to be doing any of the quickstrike stuff for me though.

>qstrike 1
s>qstrike -1
s>quickstrike 1
[You will attempt to perform your next combat action in no more than 1 second]
s>quickstrike -1
[You will attempt to remove up to 1 second of RoundTime from your next combat action.]

>qstrike stop
s>quickstrike stop
You are not presently prepared to strike quickly on your next combat action.

Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:14 PM CST
Thanks Menos, that is much more illustrative than my post! :p
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:24 PM CST
>At least for me, I am trying to use the qstrike command to set up the RT reduction for my next action.

...I still had the verb set to be GM only. Oops? It should be working now, for real.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:25 PM CST

>...I still had the verb set to be GM only. Oops? It should be working now, for real.

I love the first day of releases :)
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:39 PM CST
>I can do QUICK 1 FIRE and see the expected results but QUICK 1 COCK CROSSBOW returns messaging to the effect of "I do not see that here." or something to that effect. QUICK -1 COCK CROSSBOW also give the same message. QUICK 1 then COCK CROSSBOW works sometimes. I haven't been able to figure out when and why.
Fixed. Thanks.
GS4-FINROS

Thank you, sir!

Chad, player of a few
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:41 PM CST
Is there any command that will let me keep using quickstrike continuously? It looks like I have to type or hit a macro key for each and every attack in order to prepare quickstrike use. Also, the command only styas active for a short time, and needs to be renewed constantly. Since you can't "pop" your muscles using this, there would seem to be no reason ever to stop. When you ran out of stamina the attempt would just fail.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:43 PM CST
<...I still had the verb set to be GM only. Oops? It should be working now, for real.>

Much better, thanks!

Any possibility of using the non direct attack command (so like "qst 1 or -2" or whatever versus "qst 1 ambush other kobold") while in hard rt as it is more of an AIM or TARGET type preparation command before the actual cman, fire, mstrike, hurl, etc?
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 08:45 PM CST
< Since you can't "pop" your muscles using this, there would seem to be no reason ever to stop. When you ran out of stamina the attempt would just fail.>

You can pop your muscles, for certain attack types (mstrike and cmans).
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 09:38 PM CST
>>You can pop your muscles, for certain attack types (mstrike and cmans).<< Hmm; well, I don't mstrike with my rogue and I wasn't thinking of any CMans, since mine are pretty much all passive. How about using guild skills like kneebash? Are those similar enough to CMan skills that you can pop your muscles with them?

Actually, I was thinking pretty much of something like quickstrike on and quickstrike off commands. That way, any attack you made would use that skill, rather than typing out or macroing every single command of an attack sequence like quick kneebash and quick hide and quick punch left leg and ... etc. etc.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 09:41 PM CST
Also, is there a list of which actions can pop muscles and which won't?

It looks like warpaths are going to be the Quickstrike masters. Able to train 3x in PF for a lot of stamina, and if you do pop your muscles, fire off an adrenal surge.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 09:57 PM CST
<something like quickstrike on and quickstrike off commands.>

I agree, something like this or similar would be nice and streamline it, some crazy syntax combos are possible.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 10:05 PM CST
>Also, is there a list of which actions can pop muscles and which won't?

>You can pop your muscles, for certain attack types (mstrike and cmans).

Specifically, if you quickstrike using anything with a stamina cost, you get billed for the skill's stamina after the quickstrike cost. MSTRIKE while in cooldown, CMANs, SHIELDmans, WTRICK feint and spin attack, STUNMAN attack, DISARM, TRIP, TACKLE, SUBDUE, SWEEP, CHEAPSHOT, and I think that should be all of them.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 10:08 PM CST

Can someone explain how to calculate for a warmage the 0 stamina cost points.

He uses a lance and has 68 agi/dex.
Re: New Combat Ability: Quickstrike 01/15/2016 10:21 PM CST
>> if you quickstrike using anything with a stamina cost<<

Ah! I see. So in reality it's not the quickstrike itself that causes the muscle strain, it's the maneuver's stamina cost added in on top of that. OK, that makes sense. Thanks.
Prev_page Previous 1 3