Ambush question 01/02/2016 11:18 AM CST
I recently switched weapon styles and began to see the "cannot find an opening" message when ambushing small creatures like wolverines in pinefar and cerebralites in the rift. Based on the quote below it could be the 5% fumble chance at work. Will the "cant find an opening" result be eliminated with more ambush training so I atleast hit the creature?

>>For some body locations, it's possible to hit them with a max of 95% chance. The aiming formula works like this: First, there's a roll to check for a fumble with a 5% chance (where you either can't find an opening, or you just hit a random area), then it takes skills and stats into account and caps success at 95% if over it, then it applies a location penalty based on body location and whether the target was sitting, standing or prone.

>>GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Ambush question 01/02/2016 01:34 PM CST
What percent of the time do you get that message, and what is your ambush training?
Re: Ambush question 01/03/2016 11:50 AM CST
Yes.

You need roughly 400 from combined CMan and ambush skill for open aim (or 200 ambush skill from hiding) to eliminate failures to find openings against critters that count as too small. More with a big weapon aiming at eyes, less with a knife to the back.

At cap with 202 CMan and 25 ambush you should find it doesn't happen much for open aiming, and then train a bit more ambush each time you fail until you eliminate it.
Re: Ambush question 01/07/2016 09:51 PM CST
I wouldn't say it happens often, but my capped rogue with maxed cmans and ambush still can't find an opening sometimes.
Re: Ambush question 01/08/2016 05:35 AM CST
>I wouldn't say it happens often, but my capped rogue with maxed cmans and ambush still can't find an opening sometimes.

There are other penalties besides the size vs. size that can get significant. I don't think I've missed an opening much beyond level 70 without being prone, but I have missed them at cap when swinging while prone.