What's happening here? 12/20/2015 04:41 PM CST
I was out on the Hidden Plateau doing subdue reps on lesser minotaurs, when this happened. I had subdued the critter a few times, was low on stamina and decided to finish it off and rest for a bit. While I was in hiding RT, a gal came by and cast a stun spell at it. I killed it with a punch to the head, from ambush, and got stunned somehow. I don't see her prepping or casting a second spell; it almost looks as though the stun spell effects leaped from the minotaur to me. Very peculiar.

>>Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
High Lady Ferliev just arrived.
HR>stance offen
> punch head
Ferliev traces a sign that contorts in the air while she forcefully incants a dark invocation...
H>
Ferliev gestures at a krag yeti.
Warding failed!
A krag yeti's eyes flash with a searing jolt of light!
It is badly stunned!
H>
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a krag yeti!
Your attack is hindered by holding a blackjack!
Your attack is hindered by holding a scratched thanot trunk!
You have excellent positioning against a krag yeti.
UAF: 447 vs UDF: 294 = 1.520 * MM: 108 + d100: 36 = 200
... and hit for 70 points of damage!
Explosive punch to the face leaves little else than a pulpy mass of blood, bone, and brain matter!
The krag yeti shudders once before it finally goes still.

A burst of searing light flashes around you, surging wildly before disappearing!
CS: +403 - TD: +289 + CvA: -9 + d100: +74 - -5 == +184
Warding failed!
For a brief, terrible moment, your mind is opened to an unspeakable valence of being! You are stunned!<<

It almost looks like the stun spell surrounded the critter with some sort of magical field, which jumped over to me when I hit it. On the other hand, I have never been hit that spell before [73 is it?] so I'm not sure what it looks like from the receiving end. She could have prepped and cast a spell, with the action hidden by the text of my own ambush, but that seems unlikely given the speed of the entire action.

Re: What's happening here? 12/20/2015 04:51 PM CST

706 lore benefit

There is a chance for the spell to carry over to a new target if the initial target dies while the effect is still active based on a seed 2 summation of a caster's Sorcerous Lore, Demonology ranks. If the new target fails a regular warding check, half of the remaining duration from the original cast will be applied.
Re: What's happening here? 12/20/2015 04:53 PM CST

It's the new demonology lore effect of spell 706, as updated for Hot Summer Nights. I did not know it affected other people. When I've seen it in action, it affects a random critter in the room when the stunned critter dies. I guess it can affect non-grouped people too.
Re: What's happening here? 01/01/2016 05:32 PM CST
Correct - 706 will search for a suitable critter target first, but if it fails to find one, it will then look for a non-grouped PC to target. If a critter casts it, it's the other way around.

Ixix