So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 08:33 AM CDT
Alright, my second try here strongly resembled my first: dead and bleeding at the bottom of the hill. So, some questions:

1) The old maps show 'Stone Trolls (23)' down in the lower reaches. Sure, I know they're now 55th level; that's actually what I'm after. But really the only thing I saw down there were the lions and bears (17-20-something?). Is there a pretty much dedicated "troll area" in the foothills where I could find them reliably, without having to trek up the side and get blown around by the wind?
(The trolls are exceptionally vulnerable to Bards' magic. Giants too, but they're far enough above me that they can actually HIT me, so I'd rather avoid them if possible.)

2) Yeah, wind. The combat was going along swimmingly: he attacked me, I attacked him, I get blown off the side of the hill. Is there anything that mitigates this? Climbing? Survival? Loaded down to the gills?

2a) And I assume that during the long fall, when my immediate thought is <any one of several rescue actions like "rem ring wear ring" or "incant travelsong" or "think Hey, can someone Transfer to me and back out with me, so I don't die?">, you can't actually do them no matter HOW resigned you are to your fate? (Because with resignation comes a relaxation of terror-induced immobility.)

2b) Is the fall from [The Ledge] a threat in just that one room that's linked on the map? Or is it a threat in each of the four (??) rooms that are described as [The Ledge] by their roomname? I cannot vouch for certain that I was NOT in that linked room, but it seemed to me that I was not. But I'd been moving back and forth several times, so again: can't vouch.

Thanks, all!
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 08:49 AM CDT
Do not hunt on the ledges. There is a safe area at the top, 5 rooms if I recall, which has no wind risk but you have to climb to get there. Stone trolls and giants are easily found in the lower areas, which do not require climbing and have no risk of falling. I suggest you hunt there. The room at the top of the stairs to the stronghold is a safe spot to rest; just don't enter the stronghold itself or you will be eaten by dogs (if you are lucky). The first room after you leave the lion/bear area is also safe for resting.

Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 09:07 AM CDT
But key point: they do gen down in the lower foothills.

Thanks!
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 12:49 PM CDT
The wind is a lot nastier than it used to be (somewhere between about 3 years ago and about 6 years ago it changed from huntable with care to stay there for a couple of fights and you'll fall off), masses of climbing, gobs of survival, well above level for area and it will still blow you off very fast. I rather suspect someone thought survival should play into it but put the wrong sign in when they changed the formula so the better trained you are the more likely you'll fall.

When you land you take impact and crush damage, so you can mitigate the effect of the fall with those resistances and being in light or no armor does seem to help at that point (robes I rarely if ever died, full plate I normally die).

You can't find trolls separate from giants, although if you want giants you can go inside and play dodge the mystic (a lot easier than dodge the wind on the ledge in my experience).

>But key point: they do gen down in the lower foothills.

They gen in the bit between the ledge and lions/bears. You won't find them ruining your day if you are a lion hunter. If they decide to hide on the ledge though, you'll be stuck waiting for them to come down.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 01:22 PM CDT
No, the lions & bears are in the sub-20 levels, I thought I saw. I want the trolls. :)
(Giants are still a bit too likely to actually hit me.)

"masses of climbing, gobs of survival, well above level for area and it will still blow you off very fast." -- Rathboner

Okay, that's what I was thinking.

Bear in mind that with the GS4 conversion, a capped Rogue was saying, "I've got 20 ranks each of climbing & swimming, plenty for the whole game..."

This sort of area design seems to want to demand the kind of training I keep saying should be in more places. BUT, I haven't seen anything to indicate that there's a payoff for actually having that training (like, good treasure). And hey, I could just ring out there.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 01:39 PM CDT
>>a capped Rogue was saying, "I've got 20 ranks each of climbing & swimming, plenty for the whole game..."<<

True for some areas, not for others. I picked up 70 ranks of swimming for Nelemar, and 50 or more of climbing is useful in the Rift.

>>if you want giants you can go inside and play dodge the mystic <<

Not a good idea, considering he doesn't even want to hunt giants. And it's "dodge the mystic, duck the shaman and don't pet the doggies".
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/27/2015 01:40 PM CDT
Ideally, I'd face nothing but trolls. Failing that, I'll take my chances with trolls + giants down in the foothills, and not have to deal with falling off the side.

Lions & bears look like mere annoyances.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/28/2015 02:31 AM CDT
I'd definitely go for the trolls and giants in the lower areas. There seem to be more trolls there, and it's easier to dodge the giants with all the little twists and turns. As for falling off the ledge...my little survivalist halfling ranger seems to do pretty well. She's stood there watching while characters 30 levels her senior get whisked off the mountain. Purely a subjective view, of course. But it seems to me that survival does play a role, perhaps along with certain stats. Halflings are pretty dodgy, too, so that could be a factor.

~ GtG
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/28/2015 06:10 AM CDT
>But it seems to me that survival does play a role, perhaps along with certain stats.

120 survival ranks (and 70 climbing) and straight off the edge. If it plays a role its got the wrong sign in the formula. Thats way over the training anyone like level is going to have.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/28/2015 07:52 AM CDT
<<<120 survival ranks (and 70 climbing) and straight off the edge. If it plays a role its got the wrong sign in the formula. Thats way over the training anyone like level is going to have.>>>

Well that blows my theory. Literally.

~ GtG
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/29/2015 09:21 AM CDT

Ha go bunt there in a group and you would think the wind is generous. Almost any interaction beyond talking when on the ledge will knock someone off. I have had a few very fond memories of interesting ways of killing people by accident
Re: So. Thanatoph. 08/29/2015 11:11 AM CDT
Heeh! Gods forbid you should yell there. Your friends will never hunt with you again.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 10:25 AM CDT
And the wind appears to be in any room titled [The Ledge]; I was in the first 'up' room from the lower section, before you head East, and got whisked off to die (again).

Also: Boil Earth, cast from critters, is just stupidly effective. Bad enough in Tree Spirits, low level critter can only have so much Lore training, but the 58th level stone giants are ridiculous with it.

Is there anywhere that I can get just the nice soft 55th level stone trolls? Or do I have to deal with the dumb giants, too, no matter what?
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 02:20 PM CDT

I'm afraid you were born to suffer. So no.

Many, many people have got their first bounty for stone trolls at level 50. They go out and try it and meet up with a level 58 stone giant and the next thing you know - crispy kritter.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 02:34 PM CDT
Welcome back, Dara!

No, I'm totally unconcerned about bounties.

My 47th level bard literally cannot miss against the trolls, so they're pretty much just experience waiting to happen for him. The giants--against whom he can miss, but it's not too common--interfere with the harvest, is all. :)

He'll be a monster, once he's actually hunting them at the level he's supposed to.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 06:04 PM CDT
This is what I'm talking about. Yeah, the giants "interfere" with the experience harvest alright.

I sure wish I had a spell that caused these results at 34 points of failure...
(Or rather, that the effect caused at 34 points of failure--assuming that I have a spell that good--actually gets to STAY EFFECTIVE. Too damn many things shake off stuns, and none of them are my PCs.)

GMs, note that there is a typo in the crit effect of the first spellcast. (Emphasis mine.)

This is three consecutive actions by the same giant:

A stone giant plunges his fist into the ground in front of you!
CS: +254 - TD: +210 + CvA: +3 + d100: +97 - -5 == +149
Warding failed!
... 30 points of damage!
Strike to arm spins you like a top. You is stunned.
You are knocked to the ground!
You are stunned for 5 rounds!
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>
You are still stunned.
>...wait 5 seconds.
>
A stone giant rumbles an incantation.
>...wait 1 seconds.
>
Translucent streams of mana cascade across your sight as you let loose with a rallying cry!
You break free from your senseless daze!
A sense of invigoration courses through your legs as you rise smoothly to your feet!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
A stone giant plunges his fist into the ground in front of you!
CS: +254 - TD: +210 + CvA: +3 + d100: +82 - -5 == +134
Warding failed!
... 25 points of damage!
Leg strike sends waves of pain through your body.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
>
Your concentration on unravelling the threads of mana is broken.
>Translucent streams of mana cascade across your sight as you let loose with a rallying cry!
You break free from your senseless daze!
A sense of invigoration courses through your legs as you rise smoothly to your feet!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>

A stone giant slaps the ground spraying rocks and dirt everywhere!

You are struck by a large rock!

... 15 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your chest!
You are stunned for 1 round!

So, 49 points of failure inducing 8s RT, prone, 1-step arm wound, 5 rounds stun.

34 points of failure inducing 4s RT, prone, 2-step leg wound, 5 rounds stun.

Unknown failure from invisible maneuver effect, stunned for 1 round.

And, of course, 100 mana to get out of it (including the 2 Rally's shown, and 20 more for TravelSong back to town).
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 06:07 PM CDT
Have you tried putting song of noise up when you see stone giants prepping? That spell was really useful for me there.

Fyonn's player
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 06:13 PM CDT
Thanks for the tip, Fyonn!

If I 'stop noise', does the effect go away? (So that I can cast through it.) If not, it won't prove too terribly useful.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 06:18 PM CDT
It stops, but it'll take about 5 seconds to (and you'll have to pay the full cost to restart it), and you'll need to be careful about stopping before you renew.

One bit of bad news...the song is at least somewhat level based. I'm not sure how much (and don't think the success percentage in general has ever been figured out). Might be it won't help too much if you're uphunting a bunch.

Fyonn's player
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 06:31 PM CDT
>I sure wish I had a spell that caused these results at 34 points of failure...

You'd rather have 110 than 1030?
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 10:43 PM CDT
At 34 points of failure, Disrupt is doing about 20hp damage, bonus damage only if you've trained in Lore/are using an instrument, and probably minimal crits. I am probably NOT generating forced RT and prone and FIVE ROUNDS of stun.

However, in the interests of full disclosure for empirical data, I have to confess that I have never stood around lettings Bards cast Disrupt at me to see what the endrolls look loke.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/10/2015 11:15 PM CDT
Creatures have lore knowledge (and unbalance has a lore tie-in). Also the unbalance table is built around knock downs and stuns. It can even knock you down by hitting your hands which I have always found odd.

As a trade off it is probably the worst table for actually killing things that exists. Grapple is almost as bad but at least it does decent HP damage. Unbalance doesn't even get that.

Tal.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/22/2015 09:36 PM CDT
No, I'm serious, this spell is ridiculous:

A stone troll slaps the ground in front of you!
CS: +214 - TD: +214 + CvA: +13 + d100: +99 - -5 == +117
Warding failed!
... 20 points of damage!
The world spins! And so do you.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

17 points of failure, and stunned for FIVE ROUNDS? I want some of what they're smoking....
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 05:08 AM CDT
>17 points of failure, and stunned for FIVE ROUNDS? I want some of what they're smoking....

What you need is either better TD or better tactics. Summoning lore isn't going to help you but its getting close to the equivalent of claidh weighting for them. Do you let a critter with a feras weapon scratch you and moan about it only being a 101 endroll, or a claidh and moan about it only being 17 points of failure? Lore benefits get chunky with enough levels and the consequence is that you can't afford to let a critter ward you at all, just like you can't afford to let a critter with feras touch you or a critter with a claidh scratch you.

If the spell could ward you, don't let the critter cast it at you. If you are going to let the critter cast, get another 20 points of TD from somewhere.

You fought the lore, and the lore won. It gets worse as you level, don't give critters a chance to land a spell on you.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 07:15 AM CDT
Isn't that an impact critical? They're nasty on the stuns, and with 20 points of damage
it's a rank 4 or so critical, many of which on that table have some nasty nasty stuns.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 09:58 AM CDT
>>You fought the lore, and the lore won.<<

That ... that's just atrocious. You deserve to be pun-ished.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 03:53 PM CDT
Krakii, I would also add that now that you are getting into levels (60+) where creature maneuvers and attacks are actually something really dangerous, you might find that your previously held opinions on training plans, and stats and skills are.....wrong. Or at least need changing.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 04:16 PM CDT
Nah, I'm still a dozen levels from 60.

It's just that the trolls & giants are so vulnerable to Bards, it's worth it to be there.

I just can't get over the 17 endroll. That was a troll, so 55th level, so assumed to have 27-or-28 ranks of SL:Summoning.

Well, I already (7 levels before that) have 24 ranks of ML:Manipulation, and my Disrupt is nowhere near that spicy.
Disrupt +4 Lore ranks
[to equal giant]
Single-target 117 final 15.6hp 18.0hp
Open-cast 117 final 24.6hp 27.0hp

So even with equal Lore, I'll be doing less damage: 18hp vs. 20.

But it's the whole "knocked prone" AND hard-RT AND five round stun that gripes at me. I'm virtually positive the Disrupt flares aren't doing that, because when I get a series of crappy rolls against the giants (nothing like blowing 10 mana to roll a 4 and see 15hp of damage... six times) I see crappy crits, too.

10th level, Minor [grade1 spell list] vs. 30th level, Semi [grade2 spell list].

Yeah. I still want what they're smokin'.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 05:57 PM CDT
1030 with a few ranks of lore is nothing special. The magic comes with a mastered instrument (or enough lore to be credited with the equivalent). I wouldn't call it underpowered compared to any spell in the entire game.

Fyonn's player
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 06:24 PM CDT
And yet the 10th level spell from the minor list (with all of four more [+4] notional Lore ranks) generates those results?

Yes, absolutely, at the top end, it's devastating. I'm looking forward to it.

And I agree, I have a long ways to go, particularly for single-target. But I'm almost halfway there for open/nearly equal to a mastered 1Hand instrument.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 06:37 PM CDT
I do have one really nice thing to say about hunting here:

Boil Earth leaves me with so many freakin' wounds, my Empath on the other account has been consistently 'Becoming Numb' or more for weeks.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 08:44 PM CDT
>But it's the whole "knocked prone" AND hard-RT AND five round stun that gripes at me. I'm virtually positive the Disrupt flares aren't doing that,

Different crit tables. The unbalance crit table has a lot more status effect in it, the disrupt one a lot more death. Up the crit ranks a couple and unbalance is just doing knockdowns where disrupt is doing crit kills. I doubt you'd like it if 90% of the crit kill possibilities vanished from disrupt.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/23/2015 09:46 PM CDT
>>Nah, I'm still a dozen levels from 60.<<

Oh, so you're 48 trains. Overhunting carries it's own set of perils. Avoiding maneuvers and damage from spells like boil earth is easier if you are equal to or greater that the attacker level-wise. Warding spells are a little different, but note that if you were in fact level 55, the likelihood of you being warded would be significantly less.
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/24/2015 08:24 AM CDT
Yup, I was looking at that when the other poster said, "Get more TD." Troll rolled a 99 to net 117, so that's 18 points; by the time I'm 6 levels higher (54th hunting 55th, seems reasonable) I can ignore the trolls with impunity.

<shrug>

Like I said, this way I come back doing my simulation of "experience on the hoof" for the Empath.

And, honestly, a lot of my hunts involve no damage to me at all, if they choose to do things like swing weapons at me. And everything they're doing is slowed by Depression (I'm at +2s RT inflicted from Lore), so I'm largely safe(-ish) much of the time. :)
Re: So. Thanatoph. 09/25/2015 09:12 AM CDT
"<<<120 survival ranks (and 70 climbing) and straight off the edge. If it plays a role its got the wrong sign in the formula. Thats way over the training anyone like level is going to have.>>>

Well that blows my theory. Literally." -- Arietta, quoting & replying to RathboneR

You said you were a Halfling, right? Maybe this is another spot, like up in myklians on the moon (where shorter races can stand while taller folks have to crawl): short folks present less "sail area" for the wind to take hold of, so they're less vulnerable to the wind.

<shrug>

We should round up a passle of vict... <ahem> volunteers to go stand around up there and test the theory. :)