Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 06:21 AM CDT
>>Ok, I promise hereafter never again to bring I/O Psych studies to the table in a failed refutation of a juxtaposed aphorism as a response to a poorly chosen aphorism. Oh, wait. . .

I explicitly used I/O Psych to justify why an organization should be transparent. The research is there, the problem is that I didn't cite any, which is my fault. More on that below. I might as well have said international organization of flannel wearing unicorns declares transparency as a near universal good (they totally do, btw).

>>As a brief recap - so far I've seen the request, book-ended by a loaded question fallacy and an appeal to authority fallacy (post 669)...

Incorrect.

Does the community of players know exactly how Ambushing works? Primarily:
(1) Calculating the Stance Reduction.
(2) Calculating the Critical Weighting.
My preliminary findings seem to indicate that ambushing skill determines the critical weighting. Additionally, a creature that is greater level than the ambushing character yields progressively less Critical Weighting.
Can a Name In Red illuminate how Ambushing works? The wiki and website are incredibly vague about this vital combat skill.

There is no appeal to authority; no one is claiming to be an expert and no alleged expert is advancing a conclusion.
There is no loaded question. First, I only asked two questions, which was controversial? Second, I'm not making assumptions to support any conclusion. I'm stating my observations, not even quantified. One must advance a conclusion to suffer this fallacy.

>>...an attempt at humor which I greatly appreciated (post 676)...

Not a very good one, admittedly. :(

>>...a composition / division fallacy (post 678)...

I don't want the formula form, I want the actual formula so I, as a player, can make an informed decision. Over 2 decades of playing GS and I'm absolutely baffled by the refusal to give players access to data to make informed decisions. It's just mindbogglingly bad policy.
I was clear in the OP that I wanted exact information if it existed. If we as a community don't have it, that's fine, I'll do the research when I can find the time.

I'm not sure I understand this one. If you're pointing to the "need moar data to make informed decision," then there is no fallacy as I pointed about in the previous post as a byproduct of language. If you're referring to the fact that GMs have been not at all forthcoming with information over the years (until recently) when I said they have refused, then that's a fair point. Just today Estild released the formula for 1005!

>>...a relatively strong post that sadly rests on a false cause fallacy (post 681)...

I'm not sure I follow this one. I neither advance an argument for the causal relationship of anything in the post, nor assume there is a causal relationship for the contents of the post.

>>You have what you need to make an informed decision: "train in these skills/have high bonus in these stats." If you fail to do either of those, you can expect to do poorly.
Saying "train X skill, have Y stats" is not information without knowing the degree it affects the outcome. Thinking that's an informed decision is, at best, deliberate ignorance.
Do I train from 10 to 20 ranks?
Do I train from 20 to 30 ranks?
Do I train from 30 to 40 ranks?
Do I train from X to Y ranks?
Do I stop at 40 ranks? Is it skill based?
Are the stats included at a 1:1 ratio as ranks? Or is it skills?
Is the bonus linear? logarithmic? step-wise?
How does skill or ranks affect Crit Weighting?
How does the level disparity of attacker to defender affect Crit Weighting?
How does skill or ranks affect Stance Reduction?
How does the level disparity of attacker to defender affect Stance Reduction?
How do I evaluate all the above in accordance with skill costs?
What is the likelihood my character can hide effectively?
How do I weight the frequency chance of hiding with ambush skills costs?
Will this be an effective hunting method?
Will I have fun with this hunting method?
And on, and On, and on.
Does training in Ambush increase Stance Reduction? Yes.
Does training in Ambush increase Critical Weighting? Yes.
What if the degree to both is so small that it is effectively zero? True statements yielding nothing. Actually, worse than nothing because the Player would be wasting Training Points.
Is this example a Straw Man? Yes.
What if the degree to both is slight to moderate, but the level disparity reduces the yield to nothing?
What if the degree to both means the likelihood of Stance Reduction is very low? This would require an entirely different set of combat tatics as the Character would then need to ensure the target was in offensive before Hiding and Ambushing.
Again, these are questions the Player should be able to evaluate.
This is why it drives me insane when people say, "statistical significance" as if it's meaningful. People immediately think there's something there, that it's noteworthy. But you can manufacture statistical significance easily, the more important question generally is, what was the effect size? Or more plainly to what degree was the relationship?
Characters have a finite number of Training Points per level. We absolutely should be able to evaluate the effects of those training points.
>>What you do not currently have is every tiny exact detail required to determine the absolute best min/max training regimen to all levels of the game, to squeeze every last scintilla of benefit from training points, rounding, et cetera.
True.
Although, you make it sound like evaluating data is a bad thing. Care to elaborate as to why you think the Player should not be making informed decisions, be it to min/max or simply to choose an effective hunting method? I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Honestly.
>>Generally speaking--since "the mechanics of the game" is pretty much how the company's livelihood is made--...
No. Not even close. What in the hell?
The livelihood resides in the framework that executes all the patchwork pieces of code. The expression of such into natural language for players is in no way damaging their IP. If you honestly thought that, then no RPG, Tabletop, Boardgame, etc. would publish the mechanics for fear of losing their livelihood. Can you imagine trying to play DnD, Deadlands, GURPS, Palladium, etc. and not knowing how to improve your combat skills other than, "more is better" but the degree to which you'll never know! This expression of mechanics is exactly what allows players to evaluate the game mechanics, and the game overall.
>>...I think that we are damn lucky to get anything out of them beyond what I said above: "This is what affects it." I am quite pleased when they break it down further (X contributes more than Y affects it more than Z), and pretty much any time they give an exact formula then it's Miller Time.
This is deeply troubling. To even think we would be lucky to have baseline documentation of mechanics is problematic.
>>But if they choose to keep some things secret, that's their prerogative.
It sure is!
Just think how super fun it would be to play a current generation MOBA if all the stat ratios were removed from all the champion abilities. Then go further and remove the degree to which each item improves each stat, only leaving that the item is an AP, AD, etc. item. How lucky we are to know that an AD item affects the my abilities by an unknown amount! What a time to be alive!
Keeping combat mechanics secret is their decision, but revealing that information hurts no one and certainly not Simutronics.

>>..., a fallacy fallacy argument buttressed by an ad hominem fallacy (post 682), and then?...

Absolutely incorrect. I don't attack THROGG in the post. I do the exact opposite by agreeing with THROGG that it is her prerogative to not evaluate formulas.

>>Yet, after 20 years of this "frustration", you still keep coming back and playing. They must be doing SOMETHING right.
I was asked by a friend to rejoin to evaluate Paladins and Shield maneuvers. I've already made decent progress on this evaluation including: debunking the paladin tank myth, 1615 raw damage outcomes, 1615 critical rank outcomes, augmentations to the profession in general and to spells specifically. Coming back to GS is about evaluating what is and what is not working insofar as Paladins are concerned. Shield Maneuvers are so bad, it is comical, but I haven't gotten around to writing up a detailed analysis.
>>I've been playing 20 years also, and have characters in every profession. I know what skills to train in to make them effective at their jobs; sometimes you have to make choices.
That is a choice NOT an _informed decision_. Stop conflating the two.
>>The character I play most presently has chosen to be less effective at lockmsithing, in order to be better at combat.
Congratulations.
>>All I need to know in order to do that well are the relevant skills/stats.
No! That's all you choose to evaluate.
>>Somehow my gals stumble through life without knowing any precise mathematical formulas.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than attempting to Straw Man. No person in this thread said it was necessary to know the exact formulas to progress in GS.
>>In fact, when someone does post a math formula, it gives me eyestrain, and I promptly ignore it.
Whatever floats your boat. As you said, you wouldn't evaluate the formula, that's fine. But you certainly understand your phenomenological experience should in no way restrict Players from being presented with information.

>>Then, I would say I see the first attempt at 'defense' of the request, linking I/O Psychology as the 'objective justification' and then chose to express an opinion...

The entire I/O Pysch discipline is designed to evaluate organizations through quasi-scientific means. You may not agree, but that doesn't change the fact that I/O Psych research supports transparency (30 Helens Agree).

>>It wasn't welcomed.

That happens.

>>In my view, your supporting defense of your personal position entails defining materials, literature, research and inferred personal experience (none satisfactorily cited) in these matters.

Fair point. I honestly don't have the time to cite effective organizational communication with its clients. You've got me dead to rights there. I'd say "take my word for it" but I know I would rather fall down a flight of stairs than accept the word of a stranger. Now that would be an appeal to authority!

>>Yet, I/O Psychology has no bearing here, as the person making the request (you), the person opposing the request (in this case, me - although not really), and the people weighing in on the conversation for, against or undecided are neither in the organization known as Simutronics, nor are we clear on what Simuntronics as an organization communicates to its employees. I/O Psychology, with its theoretical and experiential branches works along two dimensions in six thematic areas to improve employee engagement and output.

While it is true that most of the outputs of I/O Psych are organization <-> employee, coursework does include information flow from organizations (simutronics) to clients (we the players), so it does have bearing on this particular topic. Look, I'll be honest, it gets really hairy rapidly because I/O Psych looks and feels incredibly interdisciplinary. It's the only field I know that evaluates organizations scientifically (well, quasi-scientifically) and has yielded tremendous gains in the marketplace. I'm willing to bet nearly every other similar field advocates for transparency. And, as you pointed out, I didn't cite a single piece of research. Let's agree to this: I'll remove I/O Psych from the table as support for anything.

>>A couple of politely attempted rejoinders to point this out were ignored. You have to admit that Robert was pretty crafty when he asked 'what's in it for them'? A reasoned response might have gone some way towards demonstrating this linkage satisfactorily. However, that didn't occur (circular argument fallacy).

I never even mention I/O psych as support for Robert's what's in it for them question. See the response I actually provided below. Which of those is circular?

Among the many benefits I specifically spoke on: reducing confusion, making the game more accessible to new players, opening up build paths, and transitioning from all-to-often wrong conventional wisdom to fact (Droit's post reinforces this notion).

>>Oh? I'm fairly sure somewhere I recall something about disputation attacking the idea, not the presenter.

Right, people are attacking my position. My statement that SIMU should release all the particulars. Not me, personally, because I advanced the position. I don't feel as though anyone has attacked me, at least.

>>I'm not sure after carefully reviewing the positions supplied that I would allocate the same 'success'. I know I certainly would not feel entitled myself to claim success of my position, based on that measure.

You alleged 6 (I think?) logical fallacies so far, 5 of which are not accurate that I quoted and detailed.

>>Another measure, and one I'm far more fond of is; the entire purpose of communication (of which disputation is a selectively characterized form) is to create alignment, understanding and agreement.

You must not work in academia! But honestly, the strongest ideas win out my sector. Well, that's not even close to true in reality; the strongest argued idea wins out, really.

>>And then, of course, there's the foregoing summary which demonstrates. . . success? I suppose, if one were committed to a very aggressive form of special pleading fallacy.

I took the position. People attacked the position. I supported the position with I/O Psych (let's agree that was totally unhelpful) but also offered other reasons why transparency is a good thing (Among the many benefits I specifically spoke on: reducing confusion, making the game more accessible to new players, opening up build paths, and transitioning from all-to-often wrong conventional wisdom to fact (Droit's post reinforces this notion)). Then attacks responded to my support of why transparency is not a good thing. I demonstrated why those attacks fall flat ((1) spoiled mystery [not true], (2) experience > knowledge [undeveloped], (3) fear of labels [appeal to emotion], (4) opacity > transparency [not true], (5) financial damage to Simutronics [not true], or (6) limited information == informed decision [not true by definition].). You attempted to identify logical fallacies in this post. I feel reasonably confident that I defended 5 of 6 of those attacks in this post. I don't see how special pleading applies here. You'll have to elaborate on that for me.

And again, let me reiterate, to what do you disagree with anything immediately below?

(1) spoiled mystery [not true], (2) experience > knowledge [undeveloped], (3) fear of labels [appeal to emotion], (4) opacity > transparency [not true], (5) financial damage to Simutronics [not true], or (6) limited information == informed decision [not true by definition].

>>And if nothing else is taken away from this particular post - it should be evident that one person's interpretation of a fallacy's existence and declaration of its impact to the disputation is quite possibly the worst of all fallacies to commit.

You have not properly identified the logical fallacies you alleged in this post as I've detailed.

I also strongly disagree that merely alleging fallacies is bad when they are detailed; it forces the argument to become stronger or disgarded.

I'm not sure where that leaves us other than this: what benefits does Simutronics gain by keeping the player base in the dark that you don't feel I've successfully attacked?
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 09:55 AM CDT
The essence of logical disputation is to fight like you're right, but listen like you're wrong.

>>You have not properly identified the logical fallacies you alleged in this post as I've detailed.

Ahh, another successful defense, perhaps? Definitely another statistical increase, tu, tu, tu. Sadly, you're saying so doesn't wish it all away.

Let's level the playing field a bit more. . .

>>I honestly don't have the time to cite effective organizational communication with its clients.

Then make zero reference or demand of others, in the same vein - either do, or do not, there is no try.

>>While it is true that most of the outputs of I/O Psych are organization <-> employee, coursework does include information flow from organizations (simutronics) to clients (we the players), so it does have bearing on this particular topic.

We're not doing coursework here, remember? This is actual field work - so we won't reference that any more. The body of work illogically referred to attempts to use customer satisfaction increase in select circumstances as further justification for increasing employee satisfaction for those who need more than numbers. You're looking for a field that studies the normative behaviors of individuals as customers in a non-direct limited interaction grouping environment to be the equivalent replacement. Since I know you don't like (nor do you use properly) the appeal to authority fallacy - I'll leave it to you to discover and explore that avenue. And happily - you're even directly engaged in the fieldwork!

>>Which of those is circular?

Wrong post / point - which I can't understand since they're numbered. But, I'll still help - 'already been provided, reread the' post.

>>You alleged 6 (I think?) logical fallacies so far, 5 of which are not accurate that I quoted and detailed.

Sorry, I listed 6 which you disagree with, so far and thus claim they're inaccurate. Unfortunately for you, and I, there are no panel of judges to validate / clarify - and every argument you make saying you've successfully defended or refuted ends up being wasted. Welcome to the desert of the real world.

>>You must not work in academia! But honestly, the strongest ideas win out my sector.

Bingo, first try! Well, not true, I do teach.

>>Well, that's not even close to true in reality; the strongest argued idea wins out, really.

Which, sadly, is a very real effect of the path you're walking. And part of the reason why I put so much effort into pointing out how silly a 'strongly argued' position can be perceived.

>>You have not properly identified the logical fallacies you alleged in this post as I've detailed.

Oh, but I have - a couple of them are even funny. I like humor, especially subtle humor. But in the end analysis recall that you have a point and I have a point - of course you feel yours correct (just as I do mine). You also seem to feel some sense of significantly advanced skill or knowledge not held by others. I'm not sure if that's accurate. But, let's pretend for a moment that the key message is buried in 'polite rejoinder'.

Does that invalidate the polite rejoinder, only because it's illogical to do that in the face of such a 'strongly argued position?'

And next time, try the other facets of success - you know, creating understanding, alignment and agreement. It's ever so much more fun.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 10:25 AM CDT
This whole thread has been a great read. :)

For what it's worth, I've decided that Thief (with high DEXterity/AGIlity stats) is going to continue training in Ambush and CM while swinging his dagger....
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 02:20 PM CDT
>>Ahh, another successful defense, perhaps? Definitely another statistical increase, tu, tu, tu. Sadly, you're saying so doesn't wish it all away.

Doug, I provided evidence for each refutation of your logical fallacies. I detailed why I thought they were not accurate. If you can't be bothered to engage my quotes directly and would rather sarcastically shrug them off then you've informally disengaged from the argument. You did NOT provide evidence other than simply attaching them to a post, while I have tried to engage you further and even asked you to elaborate on them.

>>Then make zero reference or demand of others, in the same vein - either do, or do not, there is no try.

I think you missed a pretty sweet opportunity to mirror my Dank Vapor joke. But, more to the point, I already conceded that it was my bad never to cite anything from I/O Psych properly.

>>We're not doing coursework here, remember? This is actual field work - so we won't reference that any more. The body of work illogically referred to attempts to use customer satisfaction increase in select circumstances as further justification for increasing employee satisfaction for those who need more than numbers.

I don't follow your train of thought here. I never mentioned satisfaction? Can you explain what you mean here?

>>You're looking for a field that studies the normative behaviors of individuals as customers in a non-direct limited interaction grouping environment to be the equivalent replacement.

Yeah, that I can get on board with. What do you suggest?

>>Since I know you don't like (nor do you use properly) the appeal to authority fallacy - I'll leave it to you to discover and explore that avenue. And happily - you're even directly engaged in the fieldwork!

I withdrew I/O Psych as support for anything. I totally concede the point to you. It was wrong of me to introduce it without citation. But I think I take your meaning as me, myself, having advanced I/O Psych to be an expert without citation and implicitly saying "trust me" as evidence as the appeal to authority or even the mere existence of the field supports my argument (it doesn't as you pointed out). Do I have your characterization accurate?

>>Since I know you don't like (nor do you use properly) the appeal to authority fallacy

How and why am I not using it properly? I gave a textbook example about "take my word for it" as it was perceived (and probably rightly so) that I was an expert of the subject of I/O Psych (I'm not) so my claim that transparency is good is objectively true. The example case was properly constructed, but you're right to call me out on its use.

>>Wrong post / point - which I can't understand since they're numbered. But, I'll still help - 'already been provided, reread the' post.

You did NOT number this post (see immediately below). Can you point me to the proper post? This seems rather flippant here.

>>A couple of politely attempted rejoinders to point this out were ignored. You have to admit that Robert was pretty crafty when he asked 'what's in it for them'? A reasoned response might have gone some way towards demonstrating this linkage satisfactorily. However, that didn't occur (circular argument fallacy). -- Doug
>>I never even mention I/O psych as support for Robert's what's in it for them question. See the response I actually provided below. Which of those is circular? -- ME
>>Among the many benefits I specifically spoke on: reducing confusion, making the game more accessible to new players, opening up build paths, and transitioning from all-to-often wrong conventional wisdom to fact (Droit's post reinforces this notion). -- ME

>>Sorry, I listed 6 which you disagree with, so far and thus claim they're inaccurate. Unfortunately for you, and I, there are no panel of judges to validate / clarify - and every argument you make saying you've successfully defended or refuted ends up being wasted. Welcome to the desert of the real world. -- Doug

You aren't replying DIRECTLY to my responses as to how you are misusing the logical fallacies. You responded to just one of my refutations! Furthermore, the only one you responded to directly was the circular reference wherein you claimed I responded to the wrong post or point because you had numbered them WHICH YOU HAD NOT DONE for this particular response. I don't think you're being very genuine here. You know, at least I'm trying to respond directly to your quotes and say why and how you are not properly using the logical fallacies. I don't feel like you're even giving me that benefit. It feels like you're being flippant.

>>Which, sadly, is a very real effect of the path you're walking. And part of the reason why I put so much effort into pointing out how silly a 'strongly argued' position can be perceived.

I don't see this as being sad at all. Loud and Strong are not mutually exclusive.

>>Oh, but I have - a couple of them are even funny. I like humor, especially subtle humor.

You responded to ONE of my refutations about you misuse of logical fallacies and you were WRONG. Please be so kind as to bold where you referenced my refutations other than the circular reference to which your response was just off base entirely as you had not numbered that post.

The essence of logical disputation is to fight like you're right, but listen like you're wrong.
Ahh, another successful defense, perhaps? Definitely another statistical increase, tu, tu, tu. Sadly, you're saying so doesn't wish it all away.
Let's level the playing field a bit more. . .
>>I honestly don't have the time to cite effective organizational communication with its clients.
Then make zero reference or demand of others, in the same vein - either do, or do not, there is no try.
>>While it is true that most of the outputs of I/O Psych are organization <-> employee, coursework does include information flow from organizations (simutronics) to clients (we the players), so it does have bearing on this particular topic.
We're not doing coursework here, remember? This is actual field work - so we won't reference that any more. The body of work illogically referred to attempts to use customer satisfaction increase in select circumstances as further justification for increasing employee satisfaction for those who need more than numbers. You're looking for a field that studies the normative behaviors of individuals as customers in a non-direct limited interaction grouping environment to be the equivalent replacement. Since I know you don't like (nor do you use properly) the appeal to authority fallacy - I'll leave it to you to discover and explore that avenue. And happily - you're even directly engaged in the fieldwork!
>>Which of those is circular?
Wrong post / point - which I can't understand since they're numbered. But, I'll still help - 'already been provided, reread the' post.
>>You alleged 6 (I think?) logical fallacies so far, 5 of which are not accurate that I quoted and detailed.
Sorry, I listed 6 which you disagree with, so far and thus claim they're inaccurate. Unfortunately for you, and I, there are no panel of judges to validate / clarify - and every argument you make saying you've successfully defended or refuted ends up being wasted. Welcome to the desert of the real world.
>>You must not work in academia! But honestly, the strongest ideas win out my sector.
Bingo, first try! Well, not true, I do teach.
>>Well, that's not even close to true in reality; the strongest argued idea wins out, really.
Which, sadly, is a very real effect of the path you're walking. And part of the reason why I put so much effort into pointing out how silly a 'strongly argued' position can be perceived.
Oh, but I have - a couple of them are even funny. I like humor, especially subtle humor. But in the end analysis recall that you have a point and I have a point - of course you feel yours correct (just as I do mine). You also seem to feel some sense of significantly advanced skill or knowledge not held by others. I'm not sure if that's accurate. But, let's pretend for a moment that the key message is buried in 'polite rejoinder'.
Does that invalidate the polite rejoinder, only because it's illogical to do that in the face of such a 'strongly argued position?'
And next time, try the other facets of success - you know, creating understanding, alignment and agreement. It's ever so much more fun.
Doug

>>...But in the end analysis recall that you have a point and I have a point - of course you feel yours correct (just as I do mine)...

Let me be clear on what I mean by all the particulars because that was never defined properly. I mean the mechanics of combat and how the player interacts with the environment. BUT! This does not include information about the environment itself: its creatures, its secrets, its environmental effects. I want to know the particulars of how I, the Player, can interact with the world around me of which ambushing is a very small, but critical (get it?!?), aspect.

Agreed on that?

What exactly is your reason for not releasing information to the player base? I mean that honestly. Is it still that the mystery will be spoiled and the fear of normative behaviors negatively affecting those wanting to discovery how their character interacts with the world? Is that accurate?

I want to make sure I've captured that properly.

>>You also seem to feel some sense of significantly advanced skill or knowledge not held by others. I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Yes and no. My background is in Applied Social Psychology (whatever that means, amirite?!?) and Analytic Philosophy. The running joke was that I could think deep thoughts about being unemployed when I graduated years ago. Although, nearly all my work today is SQL Server + C# or Oracle + Groovy on Grails. Go figure. But! More the point! I could have been trained in any field (Underwater Basket Weaving -- how did this ever get popularized as a THE fictitious major?) but still could have properly cited I/O Psych (which I did not). I choose I/O Psych because I felt that was the closest approximation I knew of, and had similar coursework with, a scientific practice that evaluates organizations.

>>But, let's pretend for a moment that the key message is buried in 'polite rejoinder'.

I disbelieve. The gazebo is a insane total-party-killing monster. (knights of the dinner table?)

You said you liked humor and I'm trying to soft my admittedly caustic and abrasive argumentative style.

At any rate, I'm with you.

>>Does that invalidate the polite rejoinder, only because it's illogical to do that in the face of such a 'strongly argued position?'

Erhm, I lost you. To what polite rejoinder are you specifically referring?

Let me be clear, I totally agree with you that the "best" argument should win out, not the loudest. They are not mutually exclusive, though.

>>And next time, try the other facets of success - you know, creating understanding, alignment and agreement. It's ever so much more fun.

I'm trying to do that here in this post. You pushed back, which I appreciate. I conceded I/O Psych to you and withdrew it from the argument. But you then used most of your post directly discussing the point I conceded to you. But you've continuing to dodge my very direct questions. You only responded to a single one of my refutations of your use of logical fallacies and it was flippant and incorrect. That said, you've proven that me using I/O Psych doesn't hold water so I've discarded it. That's exactly what good debate does and therein "creates understanding, alignment and agreement." Don't you agree? I think we can agree you don't like the style of debate, but it does have its benefits.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/03/2015 12:08 PM CDT
Here are some quick responses (sorry, on vacation - so I'm limiting my investment here, which might not be the best of decisions, but it will help my family life. ;)

>>I conceded I/O Psych to you and withdrew it from the argument.

Please accept my sincerest apology. I missed this. I'm sure I had some altruistic reasoning like 'not keeping track of wins / losses' or some other equally inane position. I am sorry.

>>Yeah, that I can get on board with. What do you suggest?

With the premise that I am not a specialist in this field, and have only moderately deep and broad tangential exposure, I would suggest Marketing Psychology - Consumer Behavior with the focus on the influence of social media. I believe this particular focus has moved out of nascent understanding and into preliminary findings. I'm tracking this informally and with a particular interest - what happens to communications as we 'automate' and 'notionalize' customer feedback through vehicles like Net Present Value, and the like.

In case it wasn't clear, I opine there's a reason that dialog takes a while - but we seem hell-bent as a society (here, Americans or Internet-ized nations) in reducing dialog to the fewest possible mouse-clicks and key presses. I'm not sure that's a good thing! But that is a whole different topic.

>>You did NOT provide evidence other than simply attaching them to a post, while I have tried to engage you further and even asked you to elaborate on them.

I embrace this feedback. For my part (as I hope has been evidenced), it's not about 'right and wrong' for me, it's about the journey to understanding and alignment. If you're open to the suggestion - I will offer concession to the point and withdraw the statements / observations. I wonder if you could feel it a positive position to refer less to labels of like type in your communications. I personally feel such actions actually create wedges against understanding, hence the request.

>>I think you missed a pretty sweet opportunity to mirror my Dank Vapor joke.

Drat! I probably should have said the whole 'there is no try' line in my Yoda voice. . .

(yes, I know, I didn't bite on the Yodid Wha concept.)

>>I don't follow your train of thought here. I never mentioned satisfaction? Can you explain what you mean here?

I can, briefly: Employee engagement is important. Though, some people (mostly creatives who are less impressed with deep analytics and more impressed with things like customer acquisition and retention through 'strong experiences') need a bit more. So there is an increasing body of learnings in I/O Psych associated with engaged employees and customer satisfaction (I did use that term first) in the interaction. My earliest recollection has to do with 'smile as you say. . . ' for telephonic interactions, and moved to 'smile from the wrist down' (no innuendo! Really!) as we moved to digital interactions. It's damned hard to fake that smile, though - leading to the link of the happy / engaged employee improving customer satisfaction and retention, and thereby appeasing the unrequited desires in the creative types. The 'how', though, hasn't been bridged well enough in my view.

>>Let me be clear on what I mean by all the particulars [. . .] Agreed on that?

I do understand, and I am required to agree as that is your expression of your desire. Not only that, I appreciate the clarification and boundaries that you've established. However, let me point out that the variance most of us players experience has more to do with the 'environmentals' than it does with the relatively straightforward linear or seeded progression of skills training. So I would suggest noting that the 'rule' as you've expressed it is of increasingly limited utility as a character progresses through training in the lands.

>>What exactly is your reason for not releasing information to the player base? I mean that honestly. Is it still that the mystery will be spoiled and the fear of normative behaviors negatively affecting those wanting to discovery how their character interacts with the world? Is that accurate?

First, let me clarify - I'm not opposed in general to providing information / insights to players. We have a very rich (if somewhat volatile) history in these games of doing exactly that - everyone contributes to the degree (s)he is comfortable.

Second, let me amplify - in case it wasn't previously clear, I wholly endorse and support your personal drive to get more information about Ambush skills and how that information can affect your 'designs' for your character.

Third, let me limit - I do not endorse nor embrace any concept that could lead to a 'cookbook of formulae' (these are my words, introduced I believe for the first time) to allow all players of any characters to 'know' all before the experience. This is my personal hangup - and I get that. But it remains incredibly important to me that the experience of the lands is its foremost attraction. This isn't just an 'RP' perspective - although it strongly supports 'RP' engagement. With that tone to your summary of my position, I believe you have properly qualified my perspective.

And finally (yeah, yeah) - I know that this is my personal hangup, and while it may be shared by some for various reasons, it most decidedly is not shared by all. In fact - as a brief aside - I have been known from time to time to openly declare that I need the assistance of a keen analytical, data-driven player to understand something that isn't a mystery to me any longer, yet that isn't performing to my expectation. If you have not yet met Mark, you definitely should spend some time with him - the guy's amazing, in my view.

So that's why I'm conflicted. I know what I enjoy, I know I wouldn't enjoy things here as much if there wasn't a diversified viewpoint, I know sometimes that I need exactly that diversified viewpoint to increase my enjoyment, and I know that my enjoyment is not the same as every other player's - a fact for which I'm grateful. I know, for instance, that a game full of Dougs would drive me nuts!

And all of that is why I said I hope that there might be a way found to support both ends of this particular spectrum we have spent some time defining, from the magic of the mystery to the enjoyment of the puzzle piece fitting the puzzle.

I apologize - as I said, a quick response. I'm sure I've 'ignored' something you could reasonably expect to see a response for. But I hope this is sufficient, for now. The waves and the sun beckon.

If I might close with a heartfelt suggestion - Try posting your ambush formula question in the Rogues topic, if you haven't already considered or pursued. As Robert points out, there's a whole culture around this topic there. They're supposed to be the 'undisputed masters' of the Ambush skill, and people (players and GMs) with a deep abiding interest and knowledge of the topic are likely to be very present there.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/03/2015 01:28 PM CDT
so...any NIR want to chime in with some subtle yet interesting factors in successful ambush training? ;)
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page