Prev_page Previous 1
Ambushing From Hiding 06/22/2015 11:42 PM CDT
Does the community of players know exactly how Ambushing works? Primarily:

(1) Calculating the Stance Reduction.
(2) Calculating the Critical Weighting.

My preliminary findings seem to indicate that ambushing skill determines the critical weighting. Additionally, a creature that is greater level than the ambushing character yields progressively less Critical Weighting.

Can a Name In Red illuminate how Ambushing works? The wiki and website are incredibly vague about this vital combat skill.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 06:15 AM CDT
Its an ambush vs. perception skill check which includes a heavy level vs. level modifier. I believe the level penalties kick in at like level with 1x training and 5 levels above with 2x training but that might be a misplaced assumption that it works like TWC.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 06:52 AM CDT
If you are looking for a precise mathematical formula, I doubt you will find any such thing. Ambush in GS III was overpowered, so it had been downtweaked considerably when GS IV came out. There are several factors in how successful an ambush is, including what part of the body you are aiming for. For example, eyes are harder to hit reliably but take a lesser crit rank to score a fatal hit. Rathboner's comment refers to the perception of the target, not the ambusher, BTW. Attacker perception has no effect on ambushing from hiding with a hand weapon or UAC (it is important for archers, however).

Ambush effectiveness definitely falls off with increasing difference of the levels of the ambusher vs target ratio. This is true for both DS pushdown and crit rank of the wound inflicted, and for both weapon ambush and UAC. The type of target (what sort of armor it is wearing) is also important, as well. At level 70, with 2x ambush, I can score heavy hits against like level targets. I have been recently hunting minotaurs with some friends. Minotaur warriors are moderately hard for me to leg on the first attack; they usually require me to vanish and then attack again with a better tier position in order to knock them down (I am using UAC). The first attack usually sees them with a UDF that is significantly better than my UAF, with decent improvement on the second ambush. Minotaur mages, on the other hand, tend to be a bit squishier. Presumably the difference is the better armor of the warriors.

I have no idea what the perception rating is on either of those creatures. However, with 2.5x in S&H, neither of them ever spots me re-hiding post ambush. This is in marked contrast to things like animals and undead, which have keen senses.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 08:04 AM CDT
UAC is a whole different game. Pushdown probably works much the same on UDF and it does on DS, but crit calculation is a different method (and not well understood by players even in the absence of weighting, let alone from ambush).

>The first attack usually sees them with a UDF that is significantly better than my UAF, with decent improvement on the second ambush

Warriors start in defensive but will normally stance themselves on their first action. I've only hunted them from the open (I went through those levels in Kenstroms temporary areas with my UAC rogue) and my normal tactic was to give them an action to get them to stance themselves. If a critter has stanced itself in between your two attacks, you'll see a higher UDF the first time as a result of imperfect pushdown, but pushdown will be irrelevant to the second because its already in offensive. There's also going to be a bias because of not needing a second attack when the first one is good enough so the times you make two attacks will be preferentially with poorer rolls on the initial attack. I see both these effects when hunting crawlers (103 base level) at cap.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 11:16 AM CDT
"I find your lack of formulas disturbing." -- Dank Vapor
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 11:33 AM CDT
If you want it in formula form, it looks something like this

ambush - perception + bonus +d100 = endroll

pushdown = endroll-100 capped at 0 and defender's stance
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 12:43 PM CDT
I don't want the formula form, I want the actual formula so I, as a player, can make an informed decision. Over 2 decades of playing GS and I'm absolutely baffled by the refusal to give players access to data to make informed decisions. It's just mindbogglingly bad policy.

I was clear in the OP that I wanted exact information if it existed. If we as a community don't have it, that's fine, I'll do the research when I can find the time.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 02:10 PM CDT
You have what you need to make an informed decision: "train in these skills/have high bonus in these stats." If you fail to do either of those, you can expect to do poorly.

What you do not currently have is every tiny exact detail required to determine the absolute best min/max training regimen to all levels of the game, to squeeze every last scintilla of benefit from training points, rounding, et cetera.

Generally speaking--since "the mechanics of the game" is pretty much how the company's livelihood is made--I think that we are damn lucky to get anything out of them beyond what I said above: "This is what affects it." I am quite pleased when they break it down further (X contributes more than Y affects it more than Z), and pretty much any time they give an exact formula then it's Miller Time.

But if they choose to keep some things secret, that's their prerogative.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 06:05 PM CDT
>> Over 2 decades of playing GS and I'm absolutely baffled by the refusal to give players access to data to make informed decisions. It's just mindbogglingly bad policy.<<

Yet, after 20 years of this "frustration", you still keep coming back and playing. They must be doing SOMETHING right.

I've been playing 20 years also, and have characters in every profession. I know what skills to train in to make them effective at their jobs; sometimes you have to make choices. The character I play most presently has chosen to be less effective at lockmsithing, in order to be better at combat. All I need to know in order to do that well are the relevant skills/stats. Somehow my gals stumble through life without knowing any precise mathematical formulas. In fact, when someone does post a math formula, it gives me eyestrain, and I promptly ignore it.

::This space for rent::
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 06:09 PM CDT
>>You have what you need to make an informed decision: "train in these skills/have high bonus in these stats." If you fail to do either of those, you can expect to do poorly.

Saying "train X skill, have Y stats" is not information without knowing the degree it affects the outcome. Thinking that's an informed decision is, at best, deliberate ignorance.

Do I train from 10 to 20 ranks?
Do I train from 20 to 30 ranks?
Do I train from 30 to 40 ranks?
Do I train from X to Y ranks?
Do I stop at 40 ranks? Is it skill based?
Are the stats included at a 1:1 ratio as ranks? Or is it skills?
Is the bonus linear? logarithmic? step-wise?
How does skill or ranks affect Crit Weighting?
How does the level disparity of attacker to defender affect Crit Weighting?
How does skill or ranks affect Stance Reduction?
How does the level disparity of attacker to defender affect Stance Reduction?
How do I evaluate all the above in accordance with skill costs?
What is the likelihood my character can hide effectively?
How do I weight the frequency chance of hiding with ambush skills costs?
Will this be an effective hunting method?
Will I have fun with this hunting method?
And on, and On, and on.

Does training in Ambush increase Stance Reduction? Yes.
Does training in Ambush increase Critical Weighting? Yes.

What if the degree to both is so small that it is effectively zero? True statements yielding nothing. Actually, worse than nothing because the Player would be wasting Training Points.

Is this example a Straw Man? Yes.

What if the degree to both is slight to moderate, but the level disparity reduces the yield to nothing?
What if the degree to both means the likelihood of Stance Reduction is very low? This would require an entirely different set of combat tatics as the Character would then need to ensure the target was in offensive before Hiding and Ambushing.

Again, these are questions the Player should be able to evaluate.

This is why it drives me insane when people say, "statistical significance" as if it's meaningful. People immediately think there's something there, that it's noteworthy. But you can manufacture statistical significance easily, the more important question generally is, what was the effect size? Or more plainly to what degree was the relationship?

Characters have a finite number of Training Points per level. We absolutely should be able to evaluate the effects of those training points.

>>What you do not currently have is every tiny exact detail required to determine the absolute best min/max training regimen to all levels of the game, to squeeze every last scintilla of benefit from training points, rounding, et cetera.

True.

Although, you make it sound like evaluating data is a bad thing. Care to elaborate as to why you think the Player should not be making informed decisions, be it to min/max or simply to choose an effective hunting method? I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Honestly.

>>Generally speaking--since "the mechanics of the game" is pretty much how the company's livelihood is made--...

No. Not even close. What in the hell?

The livelihood resides in the framework that executes all the patchwork pieces of code. The expression of such into natural language for players is in no way damaging their IP. If you honestly thought that, then no RPG, Tabletop, Boardgame, etc. would publish the mechanics for fear of losing their livelihood. Can you imagine trying to play DnD, Deadlands, GURPS, Palladium, etc. and not knowing how to improve your combat skills other than, "more is better" but the degree to which you'll never know! This expression of mechanics is exactly what allows players to evaluate the game mechanics, and the game overall.

>>...I think that we are damn lucky to get anything out of them beyond what I said above: "This is what affects it." I am quite pleased when they break it down further (X contributes more than Y affects it more than Z), and pretty much any time they give an exact formula then it's Miller Time.

This is deeply troubling. To even think we would be lucky to have baseline documentation of mechanics is problematic.

>>But if they choose to keep some things secret, that's their prerogative.

It sure is!

Just think how super fun it would be to play a current generation MOBA if all the stat ratios were removed from all the champion abilities. Then go further and remove the degree to which each item improves each stat, only leaving that the item is an AP, AD, etc. item. How lucky we are to know that an AD item affects the my abilities by an unknown amount! What a time to be alive!

Keeping combat mechanics secret is their decision, but revealing that information hurts no one and certainly not Simutronics.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 06:24 PM CDT
>>Yet, after 20 years of this "frustration", you still keep coming back and playing. They must be doing SOMETHING right.

I was asked by a friend to rejoin to evaluate Paladins and Shield maneuvers. I've already made decent progress on this evaluation including: debunking the paladin tank myth, 1615 raw damage outcomes, 1615 critical rank outcomes, augmentations to the profession in general and to spells specifically. Coming back to GS is about evaluating what is and what is not working insofar as Paladins are concerned. Shield Maneuvers are so bad, it is comical, but I haven't gotten around to writing up a detailed analysis.

>>I've been playing 20 years also, and have characters in every profession. I know what skills to train in to make them effective at their jobs; sometimes you have to make choices.

That is a choice NOT an _informed decision_. Stop conflating the two.

>>The character I play most presently has chosen to be less effective at lockmsithing, in order to be better at combat.

Congratulations.

>>All I need to know in order to do that well are the relevant skills/stats.

No! That's all you choose to evaluate.

>>Somehow my gals stumble through life without knowing any precise mathematical formulas.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make other than attempting to Straw Man. No person in this thread said it was necessary to know the exact formulas to progress in GS.

>>In fact, when someone does post a math formula, it gives me eyestrain, and I promptly ignore it.

Whatever floats your boat. As you said, you wouldn't evaluate the formula, that's fine. But you certainly understand your phenomenological experience should in no way restrict Players from being presented with information.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 07:00 PM CDT
>> attempting to Straw Man.<

Time to Die, Straw Man! ::sets Scarecrow on fire::

>>your phenomenological experience should in no way restrict Players from being presented with information.<

Never said it did, and I am aware that a number of players get off on deriving formulas. Different strokes and all that. That doesn't mean Simu has an obligation to provide such data, however. There are a number of MMORPGs around; can't think of any that provide precise formulas. (Never played WoW, however; does that provide such information? Can't recall ever hearing whether it did or not).

What about regular computer games? Very few of those provide exact formulas either.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/23/2015 07:49 PM CDT

I don't understand why there's backlash against the OP, we've been asking for lore and other formulas for months now with great GM responses and discussion.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/24/2015 02:37 AM CDT
>>Never said it did, and I am aware that a number of players get off on deriving formulas. Different strokes and all that.

Right, right. I'm fully aware people play the game for different reasons and derive enjoyment differently from different aspects of the game. As you can probably infer from my posts, I'm a mechanics nut through, and through. I simply generally stopped RPing around '98 when most of my good friends stopped playing and stopped entirely around 2003 when nearly all left. Quite frankly, the only reason I hung around or came back was because of the community provided by PsiNet then Lich.

>>That doesn't mean Simu has an obligation to provide such data, however.

I never said they had an obligation to provide the data. I'm saying it's objectively bad policy not to provide the data.

I take my cues from I/O Psych research. There's quite a bit of it demonstrating the negative effects caused by the parent organization restricting information whether it be from its clients (i.e., player base) or own employees. It's a breeding ground for frustration, hostility, negative attitudes, etc. It's certainly not entirely applicable to this situation, but generally the restriction of information almost always leads to a bad outcome.

Empowering the player base to make data driven decisions is a near universal positive and simply does not hurt the brand. Obvious exceptions exist: the Coca-Cola Formula!

>>There are a number of MMORPGs around; can't think of any that provide precise formulas. (Never played WoW, however; does that provide such information? Can't recall ever hearing whether it did or not)

>>What about regular computer games? Very few of those provide exact formulas either.

It's less and less the case these days. It comes down to the labor cost of organizing, documenting, deploying, maintenance, support, etc. I really do feel for the employees of Simu. Most work for a fraction of what they would earn elsewhere for their time and do so with near constant pestering from players, myself included.

I'm not sure what you mean by "regular computer games" but most games these days do the calculation in-game and provide data "on hover" over an ability. For me, I'd say the most complex calculating from a game I've played is Diablo III with the crazy number of multipliers to your damage you can achieve. Again, most of that is all pre-computed for the player so the player can quickly answer the general question of is this better or worse? Obvious exceptions exist. The enjoyment derived from those types of games is typically one of discovery and the discovery does not have an opportunity cost but instead provides a means of progression.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/26/2015 10:40 PM CDT
>>Empowering the player base to make data driven decisions is a near universal positive and simply does not hurt the brand. Obvious exceptions exist: the Coca-Cola Formula!

I'll admit to being conflicted in this discussion. I think there is data out there to make informed decisions from. But I also respect that not all the data is out there, and so the informed decisions seem less than ideal.

I also believe that there are some 'researcher' oriented players who would like to know exact thresholds, specific benefits to each rank of training, situations where something may or may not apply, and so on.

And I know (cuz I r one) that there are some 'mystery' oriented players who would not like to know exact thresholds, specific benefits to each rank of training, situations where something may or may not apply, and so on.

If it were me formulating such a response to such a request - I'd find a way to provide 'cheater codes' of some type that would preserve these two different types of players' enjoyment. After all, that's what it's all about.

However, I will also point out (as only The Devil's Advocate can) that there are quite a few data points demonstrating the negative effects caused by a parent organization who too transparently and openly shares information whether it be from its clients (i.e., player base) or own employees. This creates a breeding ground for disdain, aloofness, hostility, negative attitudes, etc. While not entirely applicable in this situation, and happily somewhat offset by the teased solution, one might - should one be so disposed - aphoristically declare that generally total transparency and open sharing of all information almost always leads to a bad outcome.

And. . . it might even be illegal.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/27/2015 05:00 AM CDT
I am similarly torn. At heart I am absolutely a numbers guy when it comes to making my characters. I actually saved and have reread "a statistical sorcerer's guide" long after all of the systems were changed and the numbers were useless, only because I enjoy the number crunching. On the other hand, being given the "hidden" rolls sort of robs a little bit of the magic. No real conclusion on if it is better or worse, just thoughts.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/27/2015 01:07 PM CDT

My biggest worry is that you will see even more cookie cutter characters as more and more min/max. You dont need a perfectly built character to be effective.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/28/2015 09:22 AM CDT
>I am similarly torn. At heart I am absolutely a numbers guy when it comes to making my characters.

I don't have the numbers to allow me to buy a character up at level 75 and train it to ambush efficiently. I do have the mechanics information to play a character from level 0-74 and have it efficiently trained at level 75. I prefer that SIMU leaves it the way it is and that those who have actually played from level 0-74 have an advantage from their accumulated experience that isn't available to someone that buys a level 75 character with no prior experience of the style.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/28/2015 10:20 AM CDT
>RATHBONER

>I don't have the numbers to allow me to buy a character up at level 75 and train it to ambush efficiently. I do have the mechanics information to play a character from level 0-74 and have it efficiently trained at level 75. I prefer that SIMU leaves it the way it is and that those who have actually played from level 0-74 have an advantage from their accumulated experience that isn't available to someone that buys a level 75 character with no prior experience of the style.

Huh?

Ok, I think you are saying that releasing more information would give an easier time to those people who buy characters. You could say the same about character guides or the sharing of your super valuable level 0-74 knowledge. I still don't know if I want all the curtain torn away, but fretting over character sales seems the least of the problems to me.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/28/2015 10:48 AM CDT
I read it slightly differently.

The present mechanisms favor experience over knowledge. The example used was the purchasing a character that one didn't have experience with. But I took that only to be an example. Others may apply, as well.

Changing it would put knowledge on a more even footing - making it easier for those without direct experience to be on par with those who worked to get there.

At least, that's how I took it.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/28/2015 02:58 PM CDT
I actually think for some people it may encourage diversity if we were allowed to know what thresholds exist.

Right now the current opinion is generally... if its worth training in it is worth training in it (1x, 2x, etc) for life when it comes to combat skills. There is no diversity in that. It simply becomes core training that we set and forget about forever.

If we knew the exacts of the mechanics that existed players would be able to make a personal choice as to where they felt like diminishing returns made further training a bad investment.

Does this apply to all systems? Of course not. Weapon training for squares, spell aim for wizards, etc. But can you tell me the 'right' amount of share for a level 83 bard? How about the 'right' amount of MIU for a 75 paladin? Should a level 60 sorcerer start working on there extra 20 ranks in sorc circle or focus on the defensive boosts offered by the minors?

These are combat related skills that are well understood, but they lack a definitive answer despite being well defined.

My own post cap goals have become more sub-standard based on feedback about how spellsongs work and having the opprotunity to understand what the alternatives to max AS/CS offered.

Tal.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/29/2015 12:57 AM CDT
>>If it were me formulating such a response to such a request - I'd find a way to provide 'cheater codes' of some type that would preserve these two different types of players' enjoyment. After all, that's what it's all about. --Doug

No one is forcing you to read, understand, apply, or evaluate the data. You are at no risk or having the mystery spoiled. Can we as a community agree on this truth? There is no argument here. That's how information works? If you don't want it, don't consume it. You lose nothing, but those desiring it gain understanding. It also makes the game more accessible to new players.

>>However, I will also point out (as only The Devil's Advocate can) that there are quite a few data points demonstrating the negative effects caused by a parent organization who too transparently and openly shares information whether it be from its clients (i.e., player base) or own employees. This creates a breeding ground for disdain, aloofness, hostility, negative attitudes, etc. While not entirely applicable in this situation, and happily somewhat offset by the teased solution, one might - should one be so disposed - aphoristically declare that generally total transparency and open sharing of all information almost always leads to a bad outcome. --Doug

That's a fun twist of words!

The implicit assumption is that near universal positive would preclude illegal activity. So, I'll assume you were making a joke. However, if you weren't then, the literature overwhelmingly disagrees with you so much so that suggesting otherwise would be simply ignorant of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; the Devil should seek new counsel it would seem. For goodness sake, advanced degrees in I/O Psych almost always (I simply don't know all the degree offerings hence the qualification) require coursework which includes Accountability and Transparency (usually lumped together) as required coursework.

>>My biggest worry is that you will see even more cookie cutter characters as more and more min/max. --DMWCINCY

Thank you!

If everyone chooses a singular path for a profession, then the profession, itself, lacks diversity. This type of evaluation and consequentially exposing a flaw of the game design is exactly what cannot be done if the players are not given the requisite information.

>>You dont need a perfectly built character to be effective. --DMWCINCY

True. Although, I'm not at all sure what argument you're addressing; it absolutely isn't the one being discussed. Red Herring.

>>I don't have the numbers to allow me to buy a character up at level 75 and train it to ambush efficiently. I do have the mechanics information to play a character from level 0-74 and have it efficiently trained at level 75. I prefer that SIMU leaves it the way it is and that those who have actually played from level 0-74 have an advantage from their accumulated experience that isn't available to someone that buys a level 75 character with no prior experience of the style. --Ratherboner

This is such an incredibly bad argument. Well, it is not even an argument. You haven't actually stated why experience should be more highly prized than knowledge. This is an ego-driven statement that smacks of petty selfishness. It also has the byproduct of unnecessarily punishing new players. I'd also like to take the time to ask you directly as it relates to Ambushing, what exactly has your experience provided you that hasn't already been stated publicly before and captured by the wiki. Furthermore, how have you quantified said knowledge? If you're unable to share, then I guess we can see how this line of reasoning plays itself out, and if you're unwilling to share, then quite frankly, good day sir.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/29/2015 08:50 PM CDT
>>You haven't actually stated why experience should be more highly prized than knowledge.<<

This whole argument is rather silly, IMO. Personally, I have no use for formulas; I'm math impaired and looking at formulas makes my nose bleed. Doesn't stop me from having fun. On the other hand, I can see more numerically inclined players liking to have such data. I have no problem with that desire. I am willing to leave it up to Simu to decide exactly how much of their game mechanics they wish to divulge. However, I cannot let the above statement pass without comment. Experience certainly does come into play, especially when using a technique such as ambushing.

When is the best time to strike? What weapon should I use? How many critters in a room are too many? What critters can I reliably hide against given my current S&H skill, and which are too perceptive? All questions that need experience for a reliable answer.

As an illustration, take Troll Kings compared to Harbingers. Similar levels, found in the same area. I train in brawling, and can use either a weapon such as a sai or troll claw, or I can use UAC combat. Troll kings are rather squishy, and I can leg them using just about anything, re-hide, and whack them in the head. A 2 attack kill. Not a problem. It only took being bound once for me to realize that Harbingers need a different technique. Heavy armor (forget sais), don't stun, and can get off a bind spell before I get out of RT and am able to rehide. They aren't very perceptive, however. Solution? Use UAC only, and vanish immediately upon attacking, to avoid being bound. Problem solved.

This technique has certain inherent limitations; vanish is stamina intensive. However, the Harb's lack of perception means I can lurk in the shadows until I get stamina back, with the odds being extremely against being sniffed out. Stone mastiffs, by contrast, are ridiculously perceptive but lack any spell attacks, and hence require yet a different set of tactics. Experience provides answers.

::This space for rent::
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/29/2015 10:25 PM CDT
>>However, if you weren't then, the literature overwhelmingly disagrees with you so much so that suggesting otherwise would be simply ignorant of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; the Devil should seek new counsel it would seem.

An interesting rejoinder. Sadly, and this has held true for all my time here and beyond - academic research pales in the face of practical experiential reality. It is interesting to me, as I'm usually the one advocating for a broader circle and greater transparency driving greater accountability. To extremes, to hear my peers describe my general position.

And yet, even I know that transparency is only a facet - one small part - of any organization's health and vitality. Even, regrettably, a far distant 3rd place (or worse). So, come out of the classroom and join me a moment. . .

You state that it would be a good thing to 'prove' through research (players over periods of time selecting a course of action leading to a demonstration of lack of diversity in a profession). The very proposition does not account for the fundamental facet of role-playing. The player selects a profession that is governed by a list of rules for the profession - in our case here, things easily achieved, things difficult to achieve and things that could only be accomplished by the very luck of the gods (love open ended rolls, don't you?) And most importantly, please note this carefully, it is a closed list of rules, finite in expression, and not intended to be subject to swift tailoring and change to increase inclusion or benefit of those fundamental 'difficult' and 'nearly impossible' paths. These define, by their very nature, the profession.

Now, keep in mind, this is purely The Devil's Advocate position - however, fundamentally I return to the key portion of my position. . .

Find a creative and useful way to fulfill both desires.

Sadly, just 'ignoring' won't work. I suppose the next question to be 'why?' The answer is as simple as the practical application of one of the stated 'desires' behind the request. The information will become 'normative', meaning that if a player chooses not to 'know', it will take on the flavor of 'you chose to remain ignorant, so don't expect any benefits'.

As to which position should win? As the consumer, of course I want my perspective to prevail. As a good community member, I can hope (and see every day) some information is released, selectively, to solve for the deeper concerns while maintaining the mystery. After all, if all we want to do is figure the best of all options to a particular path, I would submit comparative analytics coursework would be more personally fulfilling and ultimately more rewarding - at least in the marketplace.

It's just not something I wish here. I enjoy the game, not the analysis. I respect your right to enjoy the analysis first. Don't ask me to abrogate my perspective, though.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/30/2015 05:33 PM CDT
>>This whole argument is rather silly, IMO. Personally, I have no use for formulas; I'm math impaired and looking at formulas makes my nose bleed. Doesn't stop me from having fun. On the other hand, I can see more numerically inclined players liking to have such data. I have no problem with that desire. I am willing to leave it up to Simu to decide exactly how much of their game mechanics they wish to divulge. However, I cannot let the above statement pass without comment. Experience certainly does come into play, especially when using a technique such as ambushing.

Reread the post. You actually missed the entire point of the argument. The argument was: insofar as releasing information to the player base is concerned, that we should not because the Player should gain knowledge through experience. This argument was not supported or successfully defended.

You seem to think the argument was: knowledge cannot be attained through experience. The rest of your post follows from that misunderstanding.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/30/2015 05:34 PM CDT
>>And yet, even I know that transparency is only a facet - one small part - of any organization's health and vitality. Even, regrettably, a far distant 3rd place (or worse).

The hierarchical priority of organizational traits isn't being argued. Red Herring.

>>So, come out of the classroom and join me a moment. . .

All of I/O Pysch comes directly from evaluating reality. You don't have theoretical organizations. It really took off in the 80s when American car manufacturers were wondering how and why the Japanese were kicking ass in the marketplace. That's why most I/O psych programs require extensive internships and employ case studies as the primary mode of understanding. To Study I/O Psych is to be outside the classroom, thinking otherwise is simply wrong.

>>You state that it would be a good thing to 'prove' through research (players over periods of time selecting a course of action leading to a demonstration of lack of diversity in a profession). The very proposition does not account for the fundamental facet of role-playing. The player selects a profession that is governed by a list of rules for the profession - in our case here, things easily achieved, things difficult to achieve and things that could only be accomplished by the very luck of the gods (love open ended rolls, don't you?) And most importantly, please note this carefully, it is a closed list of rules, finite in expression, and not intended to be subject to swift tailoring and change to increase inclusion or benefit of those fundamental 'difficult' and 'nearly impossible' paths. These define, by their very nature, the profession.

You've manufactured a False Dilemma; intra-profession diversity is not odds with role-playing as defined by your description of easy to impossible to achieve things. Intra-profession diversity can be achieved while still honoring archetypes, or build paths if you will, without allowing each profession to bleed over into another such that the archetype loses its distinct flavor. Let's take an example of a class that has at least some build diversity: Bards. You can build a magical bard or physical bard. Within the physical bard domain, the most common build paths include Polearms, Archery, or OHE. Going further, a Bard might attempt to train 1x in Ambushing, using Tonis, move a room away, hide, sneak into room, and Ambush the creature. Would they have the same effectiveness as Rogues? No. Would it be a possible build path? Yes. But let the player base at least evaluate the build path. This is absolutely inline with your definition of role-play as governed by the profession. Additionally, the only truly profession-defining abilities are professional spell circles (which can be circumvented!), exclusive CMans, and a smattering of other abilities (e.g., Sacrifice).

Nearly all of the 'rules' that you advocate for are governed by skill costs which are static. I never once advocated for adjusting skill costs. I asked for the Ambushing formula to evaluate whether I should continue training in Ambushing. I currently have 20 ranks of Ambushing, I want to know if I should train up to 1x (78 ranks) or stop at 40. The argument of easy to impossible to achieve things has no bearing on giving the player base information about formulas because, again, skill costs are static. If all players of a profession all choose a singular build, then it could be said that the profession lacks diversity. However, this could be the cause of mere popularity as opposed to a fundamentally well researched answer. Paladins and Monks suffer greatly by a lack of build diversity; there is room to expand the build diversity while keeping the archetype.

>>Sadly, just 'ignoring' won't work. I suppose the next question to be 'why?' The answer is as simple as the practical application of one of the stated 'desires' behind the request. The information will become 'normative', meaning that if a player chooses not to 'know', it will take on the flavor of 'you chose to remain ignorant, so don't expect any benefits'.

This is another False Dilemma. Surely you see that! Also, why would the mere opinion of others influence the decision? That, there, is some weak conviction, Pardner. If the Player is worried about the label, then that's another issue altogether. But more to the point, regardless of ignorance or the opinion of another Player, the Character will still see the benefits of training. Indeed, we're actually in this state right now. A person might not want to read the review of a movie because they want to experience it without it being spoiled. Some would say that's foolish, but, hey, that's just like, your opinion, man.

>>As to which position should win? As the consumer, of course I want my perspective to prevail. As a good community member, I can hope (and see every day) some information is released, selectively, to solve for the deeper concerns while maintaining the mystery. After all, if all we want to do is figure the best of all options to a particular path, I would submit comparative analytics coursework would be more personally fulfilling and ultimately more rewarding - at least in the marketplace.

As we've already demonstrated above, we can and should have the information. You can still choose to ignore it; your answer to why you cannot is an external ego-driven non sequitur; you'll still see the benefit regardless. It just simply is not applicable. Who cares if you want to remain ignorant? That's your right.

>>It's just not something I wish here. I enjoy the game, not the analysis. I respect your right to enjoy the analysis first. Don't ask me to abrogate my perspective, though.

No one is disregarding your perspective. What has been demonstrated is that you haven't actually argued successfully to defend your perspective. I can have the information and you can have the mystery.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/30/2015 08:20 PM CDT
Another interesting response. I appreciate seeing your perspective - even though we're going a bit far afield in what is simply a question of 'how far one should train' based on returns.

I'm not sure we're communicating on the same level if you're only defending by labels of 'red herring', 'false dilemma' and 'derring-do'. I fully appreciate the correction of taking non-class-room perspectives (like case studies!) to the field.

Let's narrow our scope a bit, though: I want to set aside all obfuscating discussion points for the nonce. The static cost of a skill is not the only material effect in how the skill scales from 'impossible' to 'easily'. There are other impacting concepts, and I think this is understood - please let me know if they are not.

So let's evaluate your point blank question a moment --

>>I asked for the Ambushing formula to evaluate whether I should continue training in Ambushing. I currently have 20 ranks of Ambushing, I want to know if I should train up to 1x (78 ranks) or stop at 40.

Recognizing you may have overly simplified to get my understanding and create alignment, I'm fairly sure you know the answer to this question. However, I'll state my understanding here.

It depends on how easily you'd like your desired ambush result to be achieved against level, creature type, creature ability, target area, and your expectation.

I think that boils it down to the reasoning (read here, justification) for your request. And understand please that I support your asking. It is crucial in the 'expectation' phase of that answer, as expectations are where it's at. Just because I personally accept the premise that 'if one is ambushing and wants reliable "easily" attained results, one should at least 1.5x the skill' doesn't mean that I expect you to.

What I do not support or condone is a blanket 'all formulae should be known by the player base to evaluate every nuance'. That position is what drove my response in this thread. That's the tone I took away in the way the request was positioned, and while I admit I may have misplaced that tone initially, I'm fairly sure I'm justified in perceiving that tone from these explanations. Still, it isn't possible to see the smile you've put on my face as we bounce this around. . . nor for me to see your non-verbal queues, so I'm not in a position to be 100% sure.

I'll be happy to amplify my thoughts on the surrounding bits of this discussion privately, if you feel it warranted. In the meantime, I hope you get the information you seek from whatever source can best provide it to your satisfaction.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 06/30/2015 10:24 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure we're communicating on the same level if you're only defending by labels of 'red herring', 'false dilemma' and 'derring-do'. I fully appreciate the correction of taking non-class-room perspectives (like case studies!) to the field.

I provided explanation before or after the identification of your logical fallacies. If you want me to explain them to you in greater detail, that's perfectly acceptable.

>>I want to set aside all obfuscating discussion points for the nonce.

Then please stop introducing them.

>>What I do not support or condone is a blanket 'all formulae should be known by the player base to evaluate every nuance'. That position is what drove my response in this thread. That's the tone I took away in the way the request was positioned, and while I admit I may have misplaced that tone initially, I'm fairly sure I'm justified in perceiving that tone from these explanations. Still, it isn't possible to see the smile you've put on my face as we bounce this around. . . nor for me to see your non-verbal queues, so I'm not in a position to be 100% sure.

You're 100% right to interpret my argumentation that way because the player base should know all the particulars.

You may not "support or condone" such a statement, and that's fine. However, the support you've put forth for your position was unsuccessful. You can continue to hold your position, but know that you haven't successfully argued for the position. Going back many posts now, my position is that not releasing information to the player base of all the particulars is objectively bad policy. For each attempted attack of my position, I successfully defended. And, quite frankly, I'm surprised no one has pointed out what I think is the obvious weakness to the next step of my argument. That is to say, conceding to my position, would presenting all the particulars require too much human capital to properly implement? That's really the crux of the argument. Not the failed attacks: (1) spoiled mystery [not true], (2) experience > knowledge [undeveloped], (3) fear of labels [appeal to emotion], (4) opacity > transparency [not true], (5) financial damage to Simutronics [not true], or (6) limited information == informed decision [not true by definition]. The last point probably requires a little unpacking, but it is a product of language. That is to say, an informed decision requires all not some of the data otherwise you would have a qualified informed decision (e.g., "reasonably" informed decision, "poorly" informed decision).

Let me reiterate: Simutronics should release the all the particulars, which is my position. The more important question is could Simutronics release all the information by diverting limited human capital to deploy and maintain all the particulars?

At this point in the argument though, I hope it is clear to all the dear readers that Simutronics should release the information for all the particulars.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 08:56 AM CDT
"Let me reiterate: Simutronics should release the all the particulars, which is my position. The more important question is could Simutronics release all the information by diverting limited human capital to deploy and maintain all the particulars?" -- Gargadon

Why? What's in it for them?

Some things are obvious, and their formulae leap out at us. Attack Strength springs to mind.

We know that arms are easier to hit than hands, that heads are easier to hit than eyes or necks, that the nervous system is impossible to target directly. We know that these stats and these skills make success more likely, and we know that the size of the weapon affects it negatively.

You chose to stop training in Ambush at 20 ranks.
At 20th level, you probably saw identical results with someone 1xing.
More than 50 levels later, you may or may not still see identical results. (Maybe you're using a dagger, and he's using a broadsword. And maybe you're aiming at the chest, while he's aiming for the eye.)

Given that for the last half of the existence of the game we can now untrain skill ranks, those training points are never lost. Want to see if more ranks makes a difference? Get 10 more. Notice no change? Drop 'em again.

Harking back to my own tabletop days of DMing, I have to be honest, my response would be, "That's good enough. Suck it up."
(And that's before anything worse, like, "Oh, did we mention the (hidden) d1000 roll in the calculation (which is hidden anyhow)?")
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 12:26 PM CDT
>>Why? What's in it for them?

I've already addressed this question in detail. Please read prior posts.

>>We know that arms are easier to hit than hands,

[Citation Needed]

That's the prevailing notion, but do we know unequivocally?

>>that heads are easier to hit than eyes or necks,

[Citation Needed]

That's the prevailing notion, but do we know unequivocally?

Are necks harder to hit than heads?

>>that the nervous system is impossible to target directly.

True.

>>We know that these stats and these skills make success more likely,

Do we know this unequivocally? Is there a cap? Location difficulty cannot be trained away thus implying the potential for overtraining. Does the stance reduction or critical weighting suffer similarly?

>>and we know that the size of the weapon affects it negatively.

[Citation Needed]

Do we know unequivocally?

How is size determined? By weight? By Base RT? On an individual weapon basis? In fact, the last piece of information says it is on an individual weapon basis and doesn't mention size explicitly, although implied: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ambush_saved_post

>>At 20th level, you probably saw identical results with someone 1xing.

How do we know Ambushing isn't implemented like Necromancy Lore rank for 711. Again, do we know this unequivocally?

You don't know these statements to be true, you believe these statements to be true. It's an important distinction.

>>Given that for the last half of the existence of the game we can now untrain skill ranks, those training points are never lost. Want to see if more ranks makes a difference? Get 10 more. Notice no change? Drop 'em again.

The training points aren't lost, but time is, and of course the skills you would have if not train in Ambushing. There's still an opportunity cost. Not only that, the Player has to then do hours and hours of rigorous research to actually prove benefit in this particular case. We all know how absolutely downright terrible people are at feeling there is a benefit when none exists. Even in your quotes above, you feel it is true but you don't know it is true. Additionally, what if there are confounding variables, what if status effects cause creatures to be more susceptible to Ambushing? What if there is a professional bonus like hiding? Now we're multiplying the number of hours needed to complete the research to rule out the possibility of professional bonuses.

>>Harking back to my own tabletop days of DMing, I have to be honest, my response would be, "That's good enough. Suck it up."

Then the rules lawyer of the group would take you to task over it since that type of information has always be available to the Player. You would lose that battle, friend. Combat mechanics have always been transparent to the player because they're always listed in the Player's Handbook or whatever the analog is for the system. The Player may not know the traits of creatures or the AC or whatever the Defense analog is for non-DnD games, but you bloody well know how your attacks work.

Also, please note that saying "Suck it up" is not support for an argument. BTW, I rolled a natural 20 on all my attacks and skill checks you'll just have to trust me on that, "Suck it up."

I'm also still waiting on an explanation why you think evaluating data is bad.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 12:27 PM CDT
I think that the strongest argument for revealing formulas is how drastically other recent formula reveals have changed the common wisdom. Remember when Mestys revealed the Standard Maneuver Roll factors? We went from 15 years of "stop training PF at 24 ranks," to "every character should 1x+ PF for life" overnight. No one had a clue that PF was involved. The more we deobfuscate the formulas, the more we'll discover and the better informed decisions we can make about our training.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 01:19 PM CDT
<please cite> -- Gargadon

Yes. Unequivocally.

GameMaster.2 (that's GM Cyper) told you specifically, back when the capability was first added.

See also: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ambush_saved_post

"I've already addressed this question in detail. Please read prior posts." -- ibid

Oh, I read 'em at the time. And I'm seeing all that you think you will get out of it.

I'm just curious how it helps the company, or the staff.

Hell, I'm even willing to agree that being able to plug every single node into a spreadsheet formula would be some degree of useful.

I just question the need of it.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 01:36 PM CDT
"The Player may not know the traits of creatures or the AC or whatever the Defense analog is for non-DnD games, but you bloody well know how your attacks work." -- Gargadon

Actually... no. I categorically deny that the knowledge of how your attacks work has always been the province of the players.

None of the to-hit information was in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook. (Nor even the first of the three manila-covered books in the white box.) You had to read the Dungeon Master's Guide (or the third book in the box, or get the multi-fold screen) to get to see that. (You know: once it finally got published.)

Now, the PH was perfectly willing to tell you the type of damage die to roll, and about all these spells that would give you +1 or whatever to-hit, but the actual ATTACK CHART was somewhere else entirely. (Or in the case of attack spells, it would say that the target "must save versus poison" [or whatever], but there WAS NO CHART of saving throw info. All of that was in the DMG.)

(And to be persnickety, RoleMaster's Character Law was mum on the subject, too. That was all about rolling up the character. Actual to-hit and damage/crits were in Arms Law, Claw Law, or Spell Law.)

It's been a while since I looked at Traveler, Bushido, Metamorphosis Alpha, or Gamma World, but my vague and fuzzy memory tells me that there were distinct splits of the information in all of those, too. (Your clearance in Paranoia is too low for me to even disclose to you whether or not there is 'game info' in the first place.) I mention these games because all of them came boxed, and had separate books.

About the only system that I can think of that did used to put it all together where the player could potentially read it, was Chivalry & Sorcery; and then only because they were printing just a single comprehensive rulebook.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 02:53 PM CDT
>>Yes. Unequivocally.

Dude. Robert. Are you deliberately trolling me?

Unequivocally means: clear and unambiguous. I want that to sink in and really resonate with you.

One change, one addition:
Change: The way the Damage Severity Weighting is calculated has been changed. Previous system ranged from 0 to DW (Damage Weighting) dependent on the weapon's DF. Now it ranges from half DW to DW dependant on the weapon's DF. This will raise the adder for attacks from hiding or while invisible (assuming ambush training) and for damage weighted weapons.
==Addition: AMBUSH verb that permit aimed attacks.==
Adds 3 seconds to Round Time Calculations, prior to Truncation. Note, since RT's are truncated at 5 seconds on the low end for attack and ambush, aiming at a target may not always add 3 seconds to the Round Time the AMBUSH user sees.
Aim at any body part that can be injured, eyes, legs, hands, et cetera. Different areas have different difficulty modifiers when aimed at.
Each weapon type has an aiming modifier associated with it. The highest bonus is for daggers, the greatest penalty is for the lance.
Some size restrictions play a role, no halflings aiming shots at a golem's neck unless the golem is not standing.
Works exactly like ATTACK if no area on the target is specified for an aimed attack. This includes final Round Time evaluation.
Skill for melee aiming is one quarter ambush plus one quarter combat maneuvers.
Skill for aimed attack from hiding or invisiblity is half ambush skill.
Failed skill checks may result in no attack or an attack to a random area on the target. The 3 seconds is still added in the latter case and a 5 second Round Time is accessed for failed checks that result in no attack.
Currently Parry does not play a role in th[e] ability to target an area.
Damage weighted weapons are harder to aim with than non-damage weighted varities of the same weapon type.
Cyper

I already linked directly to that post because IT IS NOT CLEAR the degree to which the factors affect the outcomes whether they be aiming, stance reduction, or critical weighting. You're employing the logical fallacy of equivocation. Literally everything you said was unequivocally is, and let me reiterate, ABSOLUTELY NOT UNEQUIVOCALLY KNOWN. I want you to quote the precise line that says:

"We know that arms are easier to hit than hands, "
"that heads are easier to hit than eyes or necks,"
"and we know that the size of the weapon affects it negatively."

YOU. CAN. NOT.

It's not weapon size explicitly, it's weapon type explicitly. That means it would have to imply weapon size. If an implication is necessary, then statement is by definition NOT UNEQUIVOCALLY KNOWN.

>>Oh, I read 'em at the time. And I'm seeing all that you think you will get out of it.

Stop being deliberately obtuse. Among the many benefits I specifically spoke on: reducing confusion, making the game more accessible to new players, opening up build paths, and transitioning from all-to-often wrong conventional wisdom to fact (Droit's post reinforces this notion).

>>Actually... no. I categorically deny that the knowledge of how your attacks work has always been the province of the players.

P. 131-133 of PH Sorry for formatting :(
Surprise is determined by a die
roll and is normally checked at the
beginning of an encounter. Surprise is
very unpredictable, so there are very few
modifiers to the roll.
THAC0 is an acronym for "To
Hit Armor Class 0." This is the number a
character, NPC, or monster needs to
attack an Armor Class 0 target
successfully. THAC0 depends on a
character's group and level (see Table
53). The THAC0 number can be used to
calculate the number needed to hit any
Armor Class. THAC0 is refigured each
time a character increases in level. Using
THAC0 speeds the play of combat
greatly.
The Attack Roll
At the heart of the combat system
is the attack roll. This is the die roll that
determines whether an attack succeeds
or fails. The number a player needs in
order to make a successful attack roll is
also called the "to-hit" number.
Attack rolls are used for attacks
with swords, bows, rocks, and other
weapons, as well as blows from fists,
tackling, and other hand-to-hand attacks.
Attack rolls are also used to resolve a
variety of potentially injury-causing
actions that require accuracy (for
example, throwing a rock at a small
target or tossing a sword to a party
member in the middle of a fight).
Figuring the To-Hit
Number
The first step in making an attack
roll is to find the number needed to hit
the target. Subtract the Armor Class of
the target from the attacker's THAC0.
(Remember that if the Armor Class is a
negative number, you add it to the
attacker's THAC0.) The character has to
roll the resulting number, or higher, on
1d20 to hit the target.
Rath has reached 7th level as a
fighter. His THAC0 is 14 (found on
Table 53), meaning he needs to roll a 14
or better to hit a character or creature of
Armor Class 0. In combat, Rath,
attacking an orc wearing chainmail
armor (AC 6), needs to roll an 8 (14-
6=8) to hit the orc. An 8 or higher on
1d20 will hit the orc. If Rath hits, he
rolls the appropriate dice (see Table 44)
to determine how much damage he
inflicts.
The example above is quite
simple--in a typical AD&D game combat
situation, THAC0 is modified by weapon
bonuses, Strength bonuses, and the like
(the next section "Modifiers to the
Attack Roll," lists the specifics of these
modifiers). Figure Strength and weapon
modifiers, subtract the total from the
base THAC0, and record this modified
THAC0 with each weapon on the
character sheet. Subtract the target's
Armor Class from this modified THAC0
when determining the to-hit number.
Rath is still a 7th-level fighter.
He has a Strength of 18/80 (which gives
him a +2 bonus to his attack roll). He
fights with a long sword +1. His THAC0
is 14, modified to 12 by his Strength and
to 11 by his weapon. If attacking the orc
from the earlier example, Rath would
have to roll a 5 or higher on 1d20 in
order to hit (11-6=5). Again, table 44
would tell him how much damage he
inflicts with his weapon (this
information should also be written on
his character sheet).
The DM may also throw in
situational modifiers, (for example, a
bonus if the target is struck from behind,
or a penalty if the target is crouching
behind a boulder). If the final, modified
die roll on 1d20 is equal to or greater
than the number needed to hit the target,
the attack succeeds. If the roll is lower
than that needed, the attack fails.
Modifiers to the Attack
Roll
In combat, many factors can
modify the number a character needs for
a successful hit. These variables are
reflected in modifiers to the to-hit
number or to the attack roll.
Strength Modifiers: A
character's Strength can modify the die
roll, altering both the chance to hit and
the damage caused. This modifier is
always applied to melees and attacks
with hurled missile weapons (a spear or
an axe).
A positive Strength modifier can
be applied to bows if the character has a
special bow made for him, designed to
take advantage of his high Strength.
Characters with Strength penalties
always suffer them when using a bow
weapon. They simply are not able to
draw back the bowstring far enough.
Characters never have Strength
modifiers when using crossbows--the
power of the shot is imparted by a
machine, not the player character.
Magical items: The magical
properties of a weapon can also modify
combat. Items that impart a bonus to the
attack roll or Armor Class are identified
by a plus sign. For example, a sword +1
improves a character's chance to hit by
one. A suit of chain mail +1 improves
the Armor Class of the character by one
(which means you subtract one from the
character's AC, changing an AC of 5 to
an AC of 4, for example). Cursed items
have a negative modifier (a penalty),
resulting in a subtraction from the attack
roll or an addition to Armor Class.
There is no limit to the number of
modifiers that can be applied to a single
die roll. Nor is there a limit to the
positive or negative number (the total of
all modifiers) that can be applied to a die
roll.
Table 51 lists some standard
combat modifiers. Positive numbers are
bonuses for the attacker; negative
numbers are penalties.
Chapter 9: Combat
Table 51:
Combat Modifiers
Attack
Roll
Situation Modifier
Attacker on higher ground +1
Defender invisible -4
Defender off-balance +2
Defender sleeping or held Automatic*
Defender stunned or prone +4
Defender surprised +1
Missile fire, long range -5
Missile fire, medium range -2
Rear attack +2
*If the defender is attacked during the
course of a normal melee, the attack
automatically hits and causes normal
damage. If no other fighting is going on
(i.e., all others have been slain or driven
off), the defender can be slain
automatically.
Weapon Type vs. Armor
Modifiers
(Optional Rule)
Not all weapons perform the
same. If they did, there would be no
need for the wide variety of weapons
that exists. Only one form of each
weapon type, the most useful one, would
be used throughout the world. This is
obviously not the case.
Aside from the differences in
size, weight, length, and shape, certain
types of weapons are more useful against
some types of armor than others. Indeed,
the different armors and weapons of the
world are the result of an ancient arms
race. Every new weapon led to the
development of a new type of armor
designed to counter it. This led to new
weapons, which led to new armor, and so
on.
In the AD&D game, weapons fall
into several categories, based on how
they are used. The basic categories are
slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning.
Slashing weapons include
swords, axes, and knives. Damage is
caused by the combination of weight,
muscle, and a good sharp edge.
Piercing weapons (some swords,
spears, pikes, arrows, javelins, etc.) rely
on the penetrating power of a single
sharp point and much less on the weight
of the weapon.
Bludgeoning weapons (maces,
hammers, and flails) depend almost
entirely on the impact caused by weight
and muscle.
A few weapons, particularly
some of the more exotic polearms, fall
into more than one of these categories. A
halberd can be used as a pole-axe (a
slashing weapon) or as a short pike (a
piercing weapon). The versatility of
these weapons provides the user with a
combat advantage, in that the mode most
favorable to the attacker can be used,
depending upon the situation.
Natural weapons can also be
classified according to their attack type.
Claws are slashing weapons; a bite
pierces; a tail attack bludgeons. The DM
must decide which is most appropriate to
the creature and method of attack.
Armor types, in turn, have
different qualities. Field plate is more
effective, overall, than other armors by
virtue of the amount and thickness of the
metal, but it still has specific weaknesses
against certain classes of weapons.
Table 52 lists the weapon vs.
armor modifiers applied to the attacker's
THAC0, if this optional system is used.
To use this table, the actual armor type
of the target must be known in addition
to the target's Armor Class. The bonuses
of magical armor do not change the type
of armor, only the final Armor Class.
This system is used only when
attacking creatures in armor. The
modifiers are not used when attacking
creatures with a natural Armor Class.
Table 52:
Weapon Type vs. Armor
Modifiers
Armor Type Slash Pierce Bludgeon
Banded mail +2 0 +1
Brigandine +1 +1 0
Chain mail* +2 0 -2
Field Plate +3 +1 0
Full Plate +4 +3 0
Leather armor** 0 -2 0
Plate mail +3 0 0
Ring mail +1 +1 0
Scale mail 0 +1 0
Splint mail 0 +1 +2
Studded leather +2 +1 0
* Includes bronze plate mail
** Includes padded armor and hides
Impossible To-Hit
Numbers
Sometimes the attacker's to-hit
number seems impossible to roll. An
attack may be so difficult it requires a
roll greater than 20 (on a 20-sided die!),
or so ridiculously easy it can be made on
a roll less than 1. In both cases, an attack
roll is still required!
The reason is simple: With
positive die roll modifiers (for magic,
Strength, situation, or whatever), a
number greater than 20 can be rolled.
Likewise, die roll penalties can push the
attack roll below 0.
No matter what number a
character needs to hit, a roll of 20 is
always considered a hit and a roll of 1 is
always a miss, unless the DM rules
otherwise. Under most circumstances, a
natural 20 hits and a natural 1 misses,
regardless of any modifiers
applied to the die roll.
Thus, even if a character's chance
to hit a monster is 23 and the character
has a -3 penalty applied to the die roll,
he might be able to score a hit--but only
if the die roll is a 20 before any
modifiers are applied. Likewise, a
character able to hit a monster on a 3 or
Chapter 9: Combat
Table 53:
CALCULATED THAC0S
Level
Group 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Priest 20 20 20 18 18 18 16 16 16 14 14 14 12 12 12 10 10 10 8 8
Rogue 20 20 19 19 18 18 17 17 16 16 15 15 14 14 13 13 12 12 11 11
Warrior 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Wizard 20 20 20 19 19 19 18 18 18 17 17 17 16 16 16 15 15 15 14 14

Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 02:59 PM CDT
Ha!

I just read this:

P. 104 PH (1978)
Attack and Saving Throw Matrices:
Your DM has matrices for each class of character by level groups, showing
the scores required to hit the various sorts of armor and armor
classifications. Normal men such as men-at-arms are always considered at
level 0. Monsters are classed by their hit dice. All creatures use the same
saving throw matrices; the modifier is relative class, i.e. fighter, thief, etc.
Items save on a special matrix.

My quote came from the '89 Version. So from '89 and on, Players have known the mechanics of combat. Wonder why the change? At any rate, looks like they made the change to empower players with data, maybe we should too?
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 03:59 PM CDT
Honestly, I'm not. I'm just not as heated up about getting the answer.

And I could have sworn that I had a GM post about body parts, but besides Cyper's mention in his announcement post, I absolutely cannot find one.
(So, my bad, there.)
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/01/2015 04:57 PM CDT
Some stuff posted by Oscuro when predator's eye came out that surprised me at the time:

>>For some body locations, it's possible to hit them with a max of 95% chance. The aiming formula works like this: First, there's a roll to check for a fumble with a 5% chance (where you either can't find an opening, or you just hit a random area), then it takes skills and stats into account and caps success at 95% if over it, then it applies a location penalty based on body location and whether the target was sitting, standing or prone. The Predator's Eye bonus occurs at the same computational moment as the body location penalty. The Predator's Eye bonus will always be useful (not applying to an already capped value) for head, neck and eye shots. In some circumstances, aiming at other locations would already receive a 95% chance of hitting (100% minus that initial fumble roll).
>>GameMaster Oscuro

Knowing the specific values mentioned here would be awesome as well as the various weapon penalties.
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 02:49 AM CDT
>>We went from 15 years of "stop training PF at 24 ranks," to "every character should 1x+ PF for life" overnight. No one had a clue that PF was involved.

I may be a bit mistaken here, Droit - but I seem to remember a few other influencing factors involved than just a passage of time and a misbegotten perspective. If I'm not mistaken, that belief was rooted in fact for some time - until certain additions and modifications occurred.

And I'd also submit that although we know PF is critical now, we still don't know the entirety of the formula involved - do we?

Correcting an incorrect assumption of the general player base - especially when the assumption was previously justified if that part of my memory is still intact - isn't quite the same thing as just flat specifying every nuance of every calculation made, at least in my view.

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 02:57 AM CDT
>>Then please stop introducing them.

Ok, I promise hereafter never again to bring I/O Psych studies to the table in a failed refutation of a juxtaposed aphorism as a response to a poorly chosen aphorism. Oh, wait. . .

>>You're 100% right to interpret my argumentation that way because the player base should know all the particulars.

Ok, why?

As a brief recap - so far I've seen the request, book-ended by a loaded question fallacy and an appeal to authority fallacy (post 669), an attempt at humor which I greatly appreciated (post 676), a composition / division fallacy (post 678), a relatively strong post that sadly rests on a false cause fallacy (post 681), a fallacy fallacy argument buttressed by an ad hominem fallacy (post 682), and then?

Then, I would say I see the first attempt at 'defense' of the request, linking I/O Psychology as the 'objective justification' and then chose to express an opinion. It wasn't welcomed. In my view, your supporting defense of your personal position entails defining materials, literature, research and inferred personal experience (none satisfactorily cited) in these matters. Yet, I/O Psychology has no bearing here, as the person making the request (you), the person opposing the request (in this case, me - although not really), and the people weighing in on the conversation for, against or undecided are neither in the organization known as Simutronics, nor are we clear on what Simuntronics as an organization communicates to its employees. I/O Psychology, with its theoretical and experiential branches works along two dimensions in six thematic areas to improve employee engagement and output.

A couple of politely attempted rejoinders to point this out were ignored. You have to admit that Robert was pretty crafty when he asked 'what's in it for them'? A reasoned response might have gone some way towards demonstrating this linkage satisfactorily. However, that didn't occur (circular argument fallacy).

>>For each attempted attack of my position, I successfully defended.

Oh? I'm fairly sure somewhere I recall something about disputation attacking the idea, not the presenter. I'm not sure after carefully reviewing the positions supplied that I would allocate the same 'success'. I know I certainly would not feel entitled myself to claim success of my position, based on that measure.

Another measure, and one I'm far more fond of is; the entire purpose of communication (of which disputation is a selectively characterized form) is to create alignment, understanding and agreement.

Nope, not feeling that one either. Of course, as previously referenced, that can be a challenge here in this type of environment.

And then, of course, there's the foregoing summary which demonstrates. . . success? I suppose, if one were committed to a very aggressive form of special pleading fallacy.

Still, I refuse to commit the error of undermining the personal nature of the request - even if it isn't as well supported in disputation as might be imagined. I just suggest a moratorium on tu quoque fallacies, which are statistically increasing - but as to the significance I will not opine.

And if nothing else is taken away from this particular post - it should be evident that one person's interpretation of a fallacy's existence and declaration of its impact to the disputation is quite possibly the worst of all fallacies to commit.

"Oftentimes we find it difficult to accept in others that which we cling to in ourselves." - Some Internet Guy

Doug
Re: Ambushing From Hiding 07/02/2015 03:20 AM CDT
I would only chime in, with quick skimming, to say that I like both getting exact formulations (or lots of nice hints) as well as some parts of the game we don't get told everything about.

Even as a proponent and user of almost as much free software as I can ("open source" software is mostly "free software" but misses some of the point), I don't mind the aspect of gaming which can be proprietary. In fact, I'm almost certain even Richard Stallman allows vaguely for this possible exception in one of his books, but I should dig out the quote at some point (re-reading all the books isn't a bad idea, anyway). But there's something fun about some mystery in the game, or some room for players to try to determine things on their own.

Do I have a strong opinion on how this applies to the case of ambushing? No, not really, because I haven't had a character that does ambushing for about 18 years, and that character only got to level 15.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Prev_page Previous 1