a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 05/20/2018 07:39 PM CDT
Taking this orb, which is in a player shop, as an example, is this an old style fusion orb or a new style fusion orb (i.e. t3 or t2?).

Basically the only way I have been able to distinguish between t3 orbs and t2 orbs is to put them in a locker for 1 month and then see if they degraded. I am a bard, intended?

a dragon-marked hoarfrost white orb

It provides a boost of 6 to Spell Aiming Bonus.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 13 times.
This enhancive item has restrictions whose type are unclear to you.
The orb seems to be out of charges.
The bonuses provided by this item should last a very long time.
It will persist after its last charge is depleted.

You determine that you could not wear the orb.
It has been mainly crafted out of gemstone.
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 05/21/2018 01:55 AM CDT
You can ANALYZE them to find out the tier.

Coase
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 05/21/2018 03:21 PM CDT
Coase, do we need a special merchant to safely remove T3 orbs or is it something that can be requested during GALD services?
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 05/21/2018 04:30 PM CDT
But if it is in a player shop without a label ... there is no way to know which kind it is before buying it?

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 05/21/2018 09:43 PM CDT

">analyze orb
You shouldn't mess with the merchandise."

????
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 06/09/2018 01:42 PM CDT
As far as I can tell, there's no way to know before buying it. I don't buy orbs from playershops anymore for that reason. I can't imagine why someone would.

To quote Dergoatean on the PC this morning, "With no more usable orbs in production (the new style is abhorrent), everyone's keeping with they've got."

Since the nerf, the only orbs worth buying or selling are T3. And most people are hanging on to them. I still haven't decided what to do with all the unusable enhancive items I'd saved up for the fusion shaman before the changes were announced... and am a lot less excited about the participating in Duskruin, because I'm going to end up with a ton more. It's frustrating to have to pawn 90% of the items from the sewer, then having to sing to dozens, only to pawn 90% of those items because they've got mismatched enhancives, or are on +3 item.

It was once my dream to build up a cool enhancive set for Duskruin. I put 100m+ into fusion before the nerf. Now, very few people are buying and selling orbs. Complete waste of my time and money.

I really really dislike this new system, and hope that it will be improved. It has directly influenced my enjoyment of the game, and I am spending less on it as a result.
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 06/20/2018 06:28 PM CDT
Hopefully, the 'analyze' information (which displays what Tier the orbs are) is included in what transfers to the sign automatically if done inside the shop within <whatever the time frame is>.

With that being said... GMs!

Howsabout cutting some slack on things like "orbs NOT degrading until AFTER they have been insert into an item for the VERY FIRST TIME," eh?

It seems a shame to me that two orbs that I created nearly a half-year ago--at the ONLY event to feature the shaman that we can expect for, if I follow things correctly, the entire year--and now that I am ready to make use of them, they are both markedly degraded.
(Fortunately, one of them is to a stat, so the fractional value hasn't caught up to me yet.)
But one of them already -2 points out of the +14 that it was, and the ONLY thing that has happened with it was a) the shaman did his extraction and b) I stuffed it into my Giant Cloak O' Holding Enhancive Stuff in the locker.

Seems a shame that we are penalized... for planning ahead?

Mind you!

I am totally alright with you guys making the design decision, instead, to just, you know. Leave the Fusion Shaman available full-time....

<wander, whistle>
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 07/23/2018 11:40 AM CDT
>>What would be really nice, would be if we could take <an item> to an NPC, and turn it into <another item>.

You're on to something here... (and I bet you thought most people DIDN'T read all the way through!)

There are similar systems in other games. The one I am thinking of is a "reforging" system in Diablo III, where given additional materials, a given NPC can "re-roll stats" on a limited basis, changing certain values into other certain values given some internal cross reference list.

I've always really liked the itemization system in Diablo and wanted to do something similar with GS, but in the end we always ended up with issues with the combat system. While I don't have any current fusion gear, I am glad the team is working on this, because I think in the end that sort of "extreme personalization" is what makes GemStone great.
Re: a follow-up to the fusion orb disaster of 2017 07/23/2018 12:54 PM CDT
I'm delighted when people do run with things. :)

I cannot count the number of items that I see in PlayerShops that I would love to have... as a bracelet. (Or a necklace. Or as some greaves.)
But instead they're something like a lance, or a crossbow.

But I really would like to see the thing I had mentioned in a different post: take my greaves (which are currently +5 MIU / 42nd level, for example), and feed them a necklace that I found (which is +4 MIU), lose one net bonus [because of doing the service], and wind up with a +8 MIU greaves / 102 level required [caps at 100].

There are frequently lots of little "+2"s floating around, but you just run out of places to WEAR them all. This would at least let you build up something fairly beefy (eventually).