Acceptable Use of the Forums - Spamming 10/23/2005 03:34 PM CDT
The GSIV Forums are a vast tool for both discussion and research. In order for them to be easily followed for both posters and staff members, our Forum policies require that posters find the most appropriate category and topic for their discussions and post there (http://www.play.net/forums/help/policy.asp, #8). Over the past few days, we have experienced a higher than normal volume of "spamming" on the GSIV Forums. This message is to inform the poster populace as a whole that "spamming" is considered an unacceptable use of the Forums, and to encourage posters to find the most appropriate category and topic for their discussions before posting. It's understandable to desire to spread your message to the largest possible audience in the least amount of time, but for the continued smooth flow of conversation, limiting your initial posting to the most appropriate category and topic is strongly advised. Failure to adhere to the "no spamming" directives in our policies can result in sanctions upon your posting privileges.

Any discussion regarding our "spamming" policies can be continued here.

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
GemStone IV Forums
~
"Da FehMeister, Da FehGuru, Da Sultan of Feh." (courtesy of Krystic, Plat)
Re: Acceptable Use of the Forums - Spamming 10/24/2005 02:49 AM CDT
>>So, just out of curiosity, having dealt with this kind of thing myself, how much time did it actually cost you and do you have nifty macros to help you like we used to have on AOL? ;)

Well, I was going to merchant in EG (both Prime and Plat) this morning... I spent that time dealing with the incident.

Macros? Nope... it's all by hand.

>>Problem is it doesn't clearly define for those who spam what is spamming and what is not spamming. You need to really put a numerical number on this so that it is clear, Emeradan. This will save a lot of heartache since there are quite a few who like to post in four to six topics because they feel its justified. Personally I feel it is spamming if it's more then three duplicate posts, but that's me. Hence my request for you to clearly define that number in number 8 of policy.

From the TAC document (http://www.play.net/gs4/simu_policy.asp, #10, bullet 12, focus on section a), "Post to many bulletin boards at once and/or send multiple unsolicited emails to a single address, sometimes referred to as "spamming," is prohibited. Simutronics may take action on User's account if any of the following offenses is reported: (a) Posting a similar or identical message to more than 5 bulletin boards; (b) Sending unsolicited mail to more than 25 people or (c) Sending more than two (2) unsolicited emails to a single email address. Repeated spamming will result in account termination." Overall, posting a similar or identical message to more than 5 areas of the GSIV Forums can be considered spamming.

>>I would also like to see someone get a handle on the lynch mobs that follow spamming as well. Spamming is bad enough as it is, but having multiple posts from people complaining about someones spam is even worse not to mention off topic. In Emeradans's post, I would like to have seen sentence or two about how people should let the board monitors do their job. There are too many people that "think" they are board monitors and are quick to attack someones post. All this does is instigate more problems.

Agreed... I work on the premise that we're all adults here, and as adults we should be able to recognize juvenile behavior before we succumb to actually engaging in it ourselves. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work <G>. Those people that habitually engage in pseudo-moderating may find themselves in the wrong corner of the sandbox as time passes.

>>I do agree with that, what Emeradan might consider doing is making up a topic under the Discussions with Gemstone cat called "Report problem posts". DR's bb has something like that in their bbs. Players post the link to the post in question and the bb monitors are quicker at catching a possible issue due to this. Anyhow, just an idea to minimize that problem.

Any poster who desires to point out a problem post only has to drop an email to any MOD-GS moderator or to myself. I'd rather keep the public pointing out of posts to a minimum for fear that such a folder would end up becoming a "let's see who we can rat out for what" competition after a time.

How's THAT for catching up after work? ;)

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
GemStone IV Forums
~
"Da FehMeister, Da FehGuru, Da Sultan of Feh." (courtesy of Krystic, Plat)