Time to update the forums? 03/17/2013 05:23 PM CDT
So, I was jumping from one forum to this one today and it just sort of struck me... why, precisly, do we continue to use the interface we currently do? More modern, easier BB code is available for free by now. It might make browsing the forums an easier overall experience.
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/17/2013 10:40 PM CDT
From my understanding it is because the software that Simutronics uses for the forums meshes extremely well with their whole billing system setup. Along with all the other games and their needed forums, too.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/18/2013 03:43 AM CDT
My from understanding it is because Simutronics does not have web programmers handy. It's one of the reasons why the main page (gemstone) has not been updated to reflect the changes in premium point costs even though it has been almost 2 years now since the change.
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/18/2013 06:02 AM CDT
>From my understanding it is because the software that Simutronics uses for the forums meshes extremely well with their whole billing system setup. Along with all the other games and their needed forums, too.

I'm honestly a bit confused here. How does the BB and billing being connected have any benefits? Identification of the posting party? Making sure only paying accounts can post?

Needless to say, there's a reasonably easy way around this. Each billing account name receives an unlock code for registering on the forums, said code allows posting. If/when the count is cancelled, the code becomes invalid and the account can no longer post, altough they could still view the forums.

>My from understanding it is because Simutronics does not have web programmers handy. It's one of the reasons why the main page (gemstone) has not been updated to reflect the changes in premium point costs even though it has been almost 2 years now since the change.

That may or may not be true, I dunno. But the funny thing is that it souldn't require much programming. Most of the code to do this is available for free.
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/18/2013 10:05 AM CDT
Let's just go with it isn't as simple a fix or a change as it may seem. And there's no way to really explain it without giving away backend information.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/18/2013 01:54 PM CDT
>Let's just go with it isn't as simple a fix or a change as it may seem. And there's no way to really explain it without giving away backend information.

Ok, fair enough.

My suggestion is more complicated than it may appear due to information that players cannot be made privy to. That's allright. :)

That being said, a few questions arise:

Firstly, ss there anything that we, as a community of players, can do about this to make it a) easier to upgrade or b) a higher priority to upgrade?

Secondly, there's information you can't give us, which okay, but it does leave me with a sort of problem of questions. Let me explain what I mean.

Basically, I made a suggestion, and the response is "it's complicated." Which is fine, since it probably is! :)
But if I did want to try and encourage development on this, I am now left with an uncertainty as to what avenue to propose.
In other words, what questions should I be asking?
Since questions about "why its complicated?" and "what benefit does the current setup have?" require giving out sensitive information, what questions about this system could be asked without need to give out such information?
Re: Time to update the forums? 03/18/2013 02:58 PM CDT
For suggestions of this type that would benefit areas handled by the onsite staff I think the best thing would be to e-mail feedback@simutronics.com about them. That means it would get directly to the onsite staff.

I wish I could personally be of more help on the matter. There are areas of the forums I would like to see made better too. But I also understand, at least a little more so, why things are the way they are.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er