The road to a perfect 07/23/2017 03:36 PM CDT
I finally (yay!) mastered both Crafting, OHE, and THW. So I can now get working on making my perfect bastard sword for my paladin. It's been hundreds of game hours and at least a year since I mastered crafting and made my perfect hammer. I could thus use a hand remembering: to make a perfect hilt, is it only the grinder that needs to say:

> "You finish your work and stand up, turning the <hilt> in your hands. You smile as you realize that this piece is the very best that you can create."

Or is there a perfect message for polishing as well?

Thanks!
Re: The road to a perfect 07/23/2017 03:39 PM CDT
There is no 'perfect polishing' messaging. If you make a perfect piece, polishing is just the next step and won't effect your piece quality.

Hope that was clear. :-)

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: The road to a perfect 07/23/2017 03:44 PM CDT
Crystal. I don't have, or know how to access the wiki, but every time I ask a question like this, I think "This would be great info for the wiki." and then forget about it, because... effort. :D

Thanks!
Re: The road to a perfect 07/23/2017 03:47 PM CDT
https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
Re: The road to a perfect 07/23/2017 04:03 PM CDT
I guess I didn't realize it was linked to sign-on with our play.net account (should have, shares the domain), and would need special permission from some maintainer to edit. Good deal.

-Andrew, feeling productive
Re: The road to a perfect 07/24/2017 12:36 PM CDT
From the wiki:

> If the forging-hammer DOES belong to the weaponsmith, the % chance of an ES = the hammer's quality modifier.

Is this accurate? Am I reading correctly that a Vultite hammer will have a 20% chance for an ES whereas a mithril one will have a 5%? Or is quality modifier something different? I.E. I have a perfect forging-hammer which is a quality modifier of "X".
Re: The road to a perfect 07/24/2017 01:06 PM CDT
>Is this accurate? Am I reading correctly that a Vultite hammer will have a 20% chance for an ES whereas a mithril one will have a 5%? Or is quality modifier something different? I.E. I have a perfect forging-hammer which is a quality modifier of "X".

No. The quality modifier would be if your hammer is normal/fine, elegant, superior or perfect. As to what those exact % are for those modifiers, that I don't know. If I had to guess:
Normal/fine: 0%
Elegant: 1%
Superior: 3%
Perfect: 5%
(these are just guesses, I could be way off)

If I remember correctly, the metal the hammer is made out of only matters if you want to work on other magic metal. You need a magic metal hammer to hammer out mithril/imflas/ora/vultite/etc metals. You can certainly craft perfect steel weapons using a perfect steel hammer, but you can't make magic metal weapons with the steel hammer.

People resort to crafting a perfect mithril hammer because mithril is a lot cheaper over vultite since there is no other benefit to having a higher enchanted metal as a forging hammer.

-Drumpel
Re: The road to a perfect 07/24/2017 02:09 PM CDT
> People resort to crafting a perfect mithril hammer because mithril is a lot cheaper over vultite since there is no other benefit to having a higher enchanted metal as a forging hammer.

I must have known something about that however long ago I mastered crafting, because I've been lugging around a perfect mithril hammer all this time :D

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't reducing my chances to a quarter of what they should be by using mithril instead of vultite.

-Andrew
Re: The road to a perfect 07/26/2017 03:33 PM CDT
Wooohooo! Best. Message. Ever.

> You finish your work and step back, turning the vultite warsword in your hands. You smile as you realize that this piece is probably the best that you can create.

Fourth try at the vise. I think the material cost in total to make it was around 1.5m, since I made it from vultite.

So happy to bond this thing and be done in the forge for a while, I found three people who wanted the superiors I had made on the first three vise's and gave them away for free.

Tangentially: what's the going rate for perfect weapons? Do people pay much more for vultite compared to enchanted steel?

-Andrew
Re: The road to a perfect 07/26/2017 03:39 PM CDT
from what I've seen its the same price generally for a 4x perfect. You might get a little more from someone who wants a different metal, but its functionally the same. If you have access to a wizard to enchant, it generally runs more profitable to forge in cheaper quicker materials and enchant them to 4x than it does using a more expensive material and selling off the extras.
You could argue that you might make a bit more selling off 4x superiors compared to 0x or enchanting superiors, but I think it all washes out when you factor in time etc.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: The road to a perfect 07/26/2017 05:17 PM CDT

>>Tangentially: what's the going rate for perfect weapons? Do people pay much more for vultite compared to enchanted steel?

Clunk charges a flat 1 million silver for perfect item he forges, up to 4x enchant.

Occasionally he will auction.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)