A couple questions 05/14/2017 03:59 AM CDT
Now that I've mastered crafting (finally! took 24 in game hours of nothing but grinding for the last three ranks) and have moved on to forging blades, I have a couple questions I don't see answered on the wiki:

-What do the different glyph materials you're forced to choose between do? I just got wax to start with since I figured that was fine for learning the skill, but it'll be good to know later

-how long does the oil last? The whole hour of the workshop rental or a set number of attempts?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: A couple questions 05/14/2017 06:52 AM CDT
Different material glyphs have a different number of uses. Wax is the lowest, gold is the highest (except glaes which are permanent and basically non-existent because GMs don't like forging =( )

Oil is good for one total blade. That said you shouldn't need oil for training. You should be using bronze and water if I remember correctly.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: A couple questions 05/14/2017 11:46 AM CDT
I didn't know water was even an option, thanks for mentioning that. It'll save me quite a bit of silver.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: A couple questions 05/14/2017 05:28 PM CDT

You'll want to test and confirm, but my recall says - Different material glyphs also have different weights (important when loading your travelling mule).

Wax is the heaviest, and gold is the lightest. Glaes appears to be reserved for permanent installation on crafting room workbenches, and is used as glyphs for forging-hammer pieces.

Water can be used for forging bronze and iron. Bronze can be bought. Iron slabs can be created in the kobold mine near the Landing, and can sometimes be found stocked in Zul Logoth. The notorioulsy thrifyt dwarves of Logoth encourage their young to practice by minimizing the associated overhead costs.

not Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: A couple questions 05/15/2017 12:03 AM CDT
<Iron slabs can be created in the kobold mine near the Landing, and can sometimes be found stocked in Zul Logoth. The notorioulsy thrifyt dwarves of Logoth encourage their young to practice by minimizing the associated overhead costs.>

It might cost less silver to make iron, but it also increases the amount of time needed to accomplish the goal. Even if this character was based in the Landing, in the time needed to make all that iron she could earn far more silver via hunting then the same number of slabs of bronze would cost.

Starchitin

Re: A couple questions 05/15/2017 10:09 PM CDT
> ...but it also increases the amount of time needed to accomplish the goal

Dear God, this. The horror-ridden length of time required already to master forging is bad enough as it is. Anything I can do to spend less time on this, is to the better. I would spend my entire life savings (~4 million at this point) if it meant I didn't have to do this anymore, and just KNOW OHE and THW forging.
Re: A couple questions 05/16/2017 06:44 PM CDT
<Anything I can do to spend less time on this, is to the better. I would spend my entire life savings (~4 million at this point) if it meant I didn't have to do this anymore, and just KNOW OHE and THW forging.>

Yer, even scripting crafting it took me about three weeks to go from ~100 ranks to Master. About 24 in game hours of that was for the last 3 ranks... and would have been longer if I hadn't gotten lucky and gotten the 500th rank about an hour after the 499th.

So far I'm a little over 100 ranks into OHE.... we'll see if I still have the will to learn OHB after I'm done with it.

Starchitin

Re: A couple questions 05/16/2017 09:41 PM CDT
> Yer, even scripting crafting it took me about three weeks to go from ~100 ranks to Master.

I'm jealous, I just don't get that much home-computer time anymore where I can just leave the script running on the other monitor to keep eyes on. Even scripting for the last six weeks, with breaks for hunting, I've gone from ~150 to 489 (right now). I should see if work will let me work remotely for a couple months...

:D
Re: A couple questions 05/17/2017 06:12 PM CDT

>>It might cost less silver to make iron, but it also increases the amount of time needed to accomplish the goal. Even if this character was based in the Landing, in the time needed to make all that iron she could earn far more silver via hunting then the same number of slabs of bronze would cost.

all true.

But remember, Clunk is a stubborn old dwarf who does things the hard way.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: A couple questions 05/17/2017 09:23 PM CDT
> But remember, Clunk is a stubborn old dwarf who does things the hard way.

I feel real bad for the player of Clunk. :D
Re: A couple questions 05/17/2017 10:46 PM CDT
<I feel real bad for the player of Clunk.>

Me too

Starchitin

Re: A couple questions 05/18/2017 07:21 AM CDT
I feel for the player of Clunk. My forge wizard, now that he's mastered all of forging and alchemy, has taken up Spirit Beast battles as his only means of exp gain aside from enchanting. He just hit 57 yesterday. He has still never killed anything. Also he trains a sand elemental because it's tedious and he can.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: A couple questions 05/18/2017 06:47 PM CDT

> But remember, Clunk is a stubborn old dwarf who does things the hard way.

><I feel real bad for the player of Clunk.>

>Me too

awww, gee, thanks, but, remember,

the player behind "Clunk the stubborn old dwarf" is a stubborn old man.

Well, not really, but it sounded good, yes?
(I have other characters, not so stubborn)
Re: A couple questions 05/31/2017 01:25 PM CDT
>except glaes which are permanent and basically non-existent because GMs don't like forging

I actually picked up glaes sai glyphs in a playershop for 200k I don't think they knew what they had to be honest.
Re: A couple questions 05/31/2017 05:22 PM CDT
<I actually picked up glaes sai glyphs in a playershop for 200k I don't think they knew what they had to be honest.>

I wouldn't be TOO sure they're actually unlimited. There's a shop that currently has a a glaes sai hilt-glyph for 100k but no blade glyph. With the number of forged sais in the same shop's inventory, it's clear the owner at one time had some sort of sai blade-glyph.

I thought about popping over and snatch it up just in case, but unless I get my hands on some version of the other glyph it's basically useless to me... and even if I do, I don't see much of a market for sais any more.

Starchitin

Re: A couple questions 06/01/2017 09:09 AM CDT
I asked for years for the glaes sai glyphs to be re-released in Platinum. I've had multiple Platinum gurus tell me they'd get them out to no avail. I've given up on ever forging sais in Plat.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild