Vising Broken? 02/24/2017 11:03 AM CST
So we're approaching statistical improbability in my failed vising attempts. Did someone break forging again? I'm well over 50 attempts without a best vise, including 12 under a Gift of Eonak. This is in Platinum if it matters. Could someone make sure the hampster hasn't died?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Vising Broken? 02/24/2017 01:57 PM CST

>So we're approaching statistical improbability in my failed vising attempts. Did someone break forging again? I'm well over 50 attempts without a best vise, including 12 under a Gift of Eonak. This is in Platinum if it matters. Could someone make sure the hampster hasn't died?

How about the other 'crafting' task - 'grinding'? Any luck there?

Clunk is going through his third or fourth slab since returning from the battles in the elflands, with no best pieces.

Perhaps something got tweaked in crafting, and is affecting vising and grinding.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Vising Broken? 02/24/2017 02:28 PM CST

>So we're approaching statistical improbability in my failed vising attempts. Did someone break forging again? I'm well over 50 attempts without a best vise, including 12 under a Gift of Eonak. This is in Platinum if it matters. Could someone make sure the hampster hasn't died?

So

Right afet posting that, Clunk got a best piece.
When he gets a chance to try vising all his best pieces, I'll post again and report (maybe before the month is up?).

Clunk

Re: Vising Broken? 02/24/2017 06:25 PM CST
I haven't had any problems getting best pieces. Just vising is an issue.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Vising Broken? 02/27/2017 09:08 AM CST
>Clunk is going through his third or fourth slab since returning from the battles in the elflands, with no best pieces.

I've gone through 5 vultite slabs, 9 imflass, 4 vaalorn, 5 kelyn and 2 ora slabs. Each slab gives me 2-3 pieces to scribe. That means I've gone through 50-75 (probably right around 65) pieces that I've worked on hammering out.

I've had 1 of them shatter and I've had 2 of them get a minor failure 2-3x in a row and I could no longer scribe them because they were too small. Out of the remaining 60ish pieces I hammered out, I have 4 best pieces....4.

Out of my last run of best pieces (several months or more back) I had 9 best blades and 9 best hilts - under the Gift of Eonak, I ended up with 0 best vises.

This time around I've put in so much time in the forge hammering out pieces to be meet with a very mediocre return of best pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if something wasn't quite right. But that's just based on the past 6-9 months I've spent time in the forge. Up until around 2-3 months back I had a decent return of best pieces that I hammered out and crafting hilts, I'd usually see 1-2 per session (I haven't tried hilts in the past few months). Recently, my luck has been piss poor in the forge and I think I've only got a couple of imflass slabs left from my last splurge at the slab generator. I don't think my luck will change and I'm pretty certain I'll get zero best pieces out of them.

-Drumpel
Re: Vising Broken? 02/28/2017 08:24 PM CST
>>I don't think my luck will change and I'm pretty certain I'll get zero best pieces out of them.

The data you posted is consistent with my experience forging and crafting. I have had occassions where nearly a year working a project yields a single perfect weapon, and others where less than six months yields three perfect blades.

The approach I use is to work to have a matching set of best blades and best handles/hilts, up to twenty of each before attempting a vising session. Vising sessions attempting perfects are separated by four months to a year, are run with Gift of Eonak up, and typically allow about a dozen attempts.

Over the years since forging came out, I have eleven perfect blades, first was forged 2006 (and is in my shop in Zul for a ridiculous price). I don't script Clunk, so that makes it all the much slower.

It's slow, but it looks to me like you ran into one of the dry spells of an already slow process.
But, the right thing to do is what you did, get it onto the boards so Simu can do a double-check.

Clunk

Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 03/09/2017 02:29 PM CST
I've gone through 5 vultite slabs, 9 imflass, 4 vaalorn, 5 kelyn and 2 ora slabs. Each slab gives me 2-3 pieces to scribe. That means I've gone through 50-75 (probably right around 65) pieces that I've worked on hammering out.
I've had 1 of them shatter and I've had 2 of them get a minor failure 2-3x in a row and I could no longer scribe them because they were too small. Out of the remaining 60ish pieces I hammered out, I have 4 best pieces....4.

I put in a couple of hours in the forge a few days a week. I'm by no means simply hammering away constantly. But my luck seems to be on the downside here recently.

As you can see from above, not much luck. I pulled out some of the remaining imflass slabs I have (6 of them) and was able to get 16 slabs cut from them to work on. out of those 16, I only had 1 minor failure and had to rescribe and I had 1 best piece. Add them all up and when compared to my last run (3-6 months back) I think I used all my luck hammering out parts all those months back.

Recently I've now gone through:
5 vultite slabs
15 imflass slabs
4 vaalorn slabs
5 kelyn
2 ora

All slabs I can get 2-3 (most give 3) cuts from. Out of the now roughly 80 cut slabs pieces I've gone through the past 6ish weeks:
1 shattered
2 had multiple minor failures that eventually resulted in the cuts being too small to re-scribe
5 best pieces

I guess by the numbers for the system, things are probably working just fine. I just dislike the low best piece results I've gotten. I've got 4 or 5 more imflass slabs left, a couple white ora, a couple razern and maybe one or two rhimar/zochar/drakar slabs.

I'll pull the last few imflass slabs I've got sitting in a locker and see if I can't get lucky with a couple of best pieces.

-Drumpel
Re: Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 03/30/2017 09:34 AM CDT
Stop counting just keep working and saving your best pieces for the vise. Converting to Eonak is always an option and Frorin can help you if you would like to try that.
Re: Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 03/30/2017 10:35 AM CDT
>Stop counting just keep working and saving your best pieces for the vise. Converting to Eonak is always an option and Frorin can help you if you would like to try that.

Sorry, can't do that. Everyone has some sort of OCD - I count and keep track of things in my head.

The biggest one is steps and it's hard for me not to count them.
I have 17 steps to go up in my house from the main floor to the 2nd floor.
My mom's basement has 16 steps....their stairs leading to the 2nd floor has 17 steps.
Daughter's school, stairs closest to her room on the 2nd floor has 21 steps....
Work - door I use to enter the building has 4 steps....I count them everyday I walk up/down them.

When I go grocery shopping, I make a mental note of the cost of items and by the time I check out I know how much I'm going to be spending (+/- $5). I do numbers. I'm no savant by any means with math, but numbers stick in my head.

A place I worked at 8 years ago (I did work there for almost 9 years of my life), I still know part numbers to products and number codes for colors on certain materials we ordered from our vendors. If I were to go back there and work a couple of days, it would be like I never left.

I try to, but it takes great effort for me to not mentally keep track of steps when I use them - I have the need to count them. The wife thinks it's funny that when we go places we tend to frequent and there are steps we have to use, I can tell you how many steps there are (I kind of feel like the robot Sonny from I, Robot when he tells the detective - Will Smith - there are 2,880 steps).

As for forging: I still have yet to bring myself to use the last few imflass slabs in my possession. I've decided to take a little break from forging at the moment.

-Drumpel
Re: Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 03/30/2017 03:13 PM CDT
>I still know part numbers to products and number codes...

That was my employee ID from when I worked at Blockbuster in Highschool, about 20 years ago.

I feel 'ya.
Re: Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 04/01/2017 05:42 PM CDT
007 373 5963

Nope, not my social - that's the code to fight Mike Tyson in Punch Out...
Re: Lady Luck has not been on my side lately 04/01/2017 06:26 PM CDT
Hmmm..

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start.

Anyone remember it?