Captive Birds 11/11/2014 01:19 PM CST
So.. oh fletching masters who are far more generous than us lowly peons deserve...

In ten plus years of selling us fletching supplies, have none of the town merchants realized that they could suck a lot of silvers out of us by keeping some birds in the back (owls, chickens, etc.) that they could sell us the feathers from? I know we can get them from a few NPC birds in towns (very... very... very... slowly... ) Or from specific areas, but unless you're in certain level ranges, and willing to go to one area of the game, it's not really practical.

I can't see much game breaking to this by itself, since you can (very slowly) pick them up off the ground, or get them from level 6 monsters, and mechanically all feathers (other than storm gryphs but asking for plain feathers) are the same.

Any chance you can help us out?
Re: Captive Birds 11/11/2014 05:29 PM CST
Could you give specific examples of what you are looking for?

Any fletching supplies that provide mechanical benefits are not on the table for a town merchant.

If you just want feathers from various birds for cosmetic purposes, that might be something I'm willing to ask about as a backroom item for Icemule Trace (to a certain extent). Other town gurus would have to speak for themselves.

Either way, I wouldn't expect it to be something that happens overnight due to other projects I have in the works.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Captive Birds 11/11/2014 06:17 PM CST
Nah, I'd be asking for feathers that could then be fletched, same as if the creature was hunted in the wild. Now, I'm not asking for the feathers themselves to have any property other than the ability to be turned into fletchings, but if you use a special razor, THEN they would become special (similar to normal fletching on cockatrice or Eagle feathers).

So I'm not sure if the item itself would count as a mechanical benefit or not. It's sort of as much benefit as faewood I suppose, in that you can make flaring arrows using drakar arrowheads? You need something else to get the true benefit.

I hope that clarifies.
Re: Captive Birds 11/11/2014 10:05 PM CST
>Could you give specific examples of what you are looking for?

>Any fletching supplies that provide mechanical benefits are not on the table for a town merchant.

>If you just want feathers from various birds for cosmetic purposes, that might be something I'm willing to ask about as a backroom item for Icemule Trace (to a certain extent). Other town gurus would have to speak for themselves.

>Either way, I wouldn't expect it to be something that happens overnight due to other projects I have in the works.

This. The significance of "off the shelf" feathers is that they can be used in conjunction with the fletching razors that add flares when crafting fletchings. And then, we don't look silly as a high level person hunting cockatrices or daggerbeaks - and ALSO, if we already have a ton of those fletchings, no getting confused from "normal" and "fletched by the spiffy razor" fletchings.

The last time I looked and found feathers off the shelf was at the Solhaven zoo giftshop and I think they were 1000 silvers each, which means that's 750 silvers per arrow, assuming no failures in arrow creation. By comparison, a faewood shaft costs ~120 silvers per arrow (probably less for most folks).

Ideally, what I'm looking for are some nifty feathers from local avians that would cost a little more than generic fletchings, figuring 4 fletchings per feather.

Specific examples?

a grey penguin feather (already available if you stalk the bird in Icemule)
a black raven feather (there's a raven in a neighborhood that drops these very slowly)
a green macaw feather (wouldn't expect that to be in Icemule, just saying)
a russet hawk feather
a snowy white owl feather
a red rooster feather
a mottled grey pigeon feather

-

Really, I can't say that I'm all too familiar with birds that would be found in snowy, arctic climates, but I love the idea of being able to get feathers to make my own fletchings.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius