Artisian Skill Idea 11/03/2014 12:43 PM CST

Would it be game breaking if once you mastered an artisan skill that the RT to make items would be reduced? To me it makes perfect sense that a master fletcher could make on average two arrows in the time it takes a non-master to make one.

I don't have experience with other skills, however I imagine this same model could apply? Just a thought about a way to have less tedium and more fun.
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/04/2014 03:34 AM CST
Well, the arrows that are made are masterful (or whatever) which gives +5 AS. So even if it's taking the same amount of time as a non-master, the quality of the product is better.

Also, one starts gaining experience directly for fletching arrows as a master (where as below master, the experience is only gained on each successive rank).

So, would it be game breaking to reduce the RT? No, probably not. Are there already some differences between a master and non-master? Yes.

Besides, when I was mastering the skill, I hardly made any arrows at all. I just did the first two steps and started over. You can master faster that way ^_^

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/04/2014 09:18 AM CST
Personally I think fletching is a well designed artisan skill. I would like to see forging re-written more in the fletching model (i.e. multiple, shorter RT steps). While I am all for reducing RT for tedious tasks in general I don't know that fletching needs it any more than any other task.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/04/2014 10:31 AM CST
I'd take half the experience for a master fletched arrow or no experience if I could get two in the same amount of time it takes to get 1.

An average of 2 minutes per arrow is a long time to spend in RT. That's without painting or customizing it in any way and using a script. Why would I paint my arrows (which look really cool by the way) when in the end it just makes the process take even longer.

Arrows are disposable. They are lost and must be replaced naturally while hunting.

Keith of course you don't care about arrows, because you have an ebow.

For forging you are creating an item that will remain in the game forever. Arrows, not so much.
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/04/2014 10:34 AM CST
There is one thing I would like to see incorporated with fletching.

I would LOVE being able to make bows. Granted, technically this wouldn't be fletching since a Bowyer is a bow maker and a fletcher makes arrows, but you get the idea.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/04/2014 11:08 AM CST
Hey now Brinret is a master fletcher. Just because I have an e-bow doesn't mean I don't care. This is another thing that could be lumped in with the discussion we're having in the Front Ends design folder. How about instead of making one arrow at a time we let masters work with a bundle of shafts? Same number of commands, same amount of screen scroll but multiple arrows. I'm not against removing some of the tedium of replacing arrows. I'm against watching someone script them in the small park scrolling the screen twice as fast as they are now.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/05/2014 03:24 AM CST
Fletching is at least designed in such a way that one of my characters mastered the skill.

I have zero archers. I happen to like the experience at least from mastering the skill. I don't tend to make arrows these days though.

This isn't to say I'm strongly opposing the change, but I do think the fletching system is well implemented.

But you can buy arrows and that doesn't take any time at all. You get a +5 AS for once in awhile spending time fletching. My wife does a lot of fletching, and I think half the time is spent killing blood eagles because she thinks the fletchings look cool. I just don't see that the time invested to this skill is imbalanced.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Artisian Skill Idea 11/05/2014 03:28 AM CST
Though, if your animal companion is a beaver, then, and only then, should you be able to make arrows twice as fast. If your companion is there to help you out!