Erithian Cultural Event - Fash'lo'nae Discussion (Log) 06/23/2012 11:03 PM CDT
Tonight at the Mentors' Erithian Cultural Event, I ran a service/discussion on Fash'lo'nae. I was asked to post the log, thus I am.

(Side note: the readings are excerpts from the tomes of Fash'lo'nae's history as delivered to the masses by Fash'lo'nae in the guise of some guy called Reshum.)

[The Shrine]
The scent of incense lingers in the air. Tall teak ceilings make the room feel large, while reed mats mute the gleaming wood floor. Panels of beige and silver silk hang from the walls,

rippling as a soft breeze moves through the room. Several golden matte silk cushions form a line in front of a stone shrine. You also see the translucent Inurtia disk, the Willhee disk,

an expressive astral spirit that is flying around, the Myrefalcon disk, the Alexandrietta disk and the Grisle disk.
Also here: Kohanna, Astari, Mentor Sereh who is sitting, Mentor Alifair, Mentor Gweniveer, Antory, Mentor Inurtia who is sitting, Saidear who is sitting, Willhee who is sitting, Japhrimel,

Renowned Lord Myrefalcon who is sitting, Angeleze who is sitting, Tehrror, Ainsley who is sitting, Archamandis who is sitting, Grisle who is sitting, Durakar who is sitting
Obvious exits: east

Kohanna recites:

"Welcome, and thank you for coming!"

Kohanna recites:

"We have had a beautiful two days here at the Erithian culture event, and thank you to the Mentors for housing us while we are here. We continue the event now with a service dedicated

to Fash'lo'nae."

Kohanna recites:

"Tomorrow at 8 we will have a play, which will showcase the birth of the spirit Jaston. Following that, at 9:30 there will be another service, this time to Fash'lo'nae and Lumnis

jointly. Prelate Godefroy will join us for that."

Kohanna recites:

"Thank you all again for coming, and I hope to see you again."

Kohanna recites:

"I now turn things over to Magister Raelee, who will be leading the service."

(Raelee turns to face all those assembled, giving them a scrutinizing look for several moments before speaking.)

You simply state, "I will begin with a reading."

You open the black tome.

You simply read, "There was no flock of birds to herald Fash'lo'nae's birth. There were no drakes clashing and battling in the dead of night. Most say there were just the quiet scratching

sounds of a primitive elf dragging a piece of white stone across a dark boulder to create a simple mural. The sounds would pause, periodically, as the author would stop to consider their

design - and then resume, faster, more confident in each swipe of the stone. Days would pass before they would be finished, an astonishingly consistent, orderly effort in an ancient,

chaotic world."

You simply continue, "As the painted boulder neared completion, Fash'lo'nae simply appeared, as if he'd been there all along. He observed, curious about what was before him. He did not

disturb the author in the slightest - indeed, the author hadn't even noticed his appearance - but when the design was done, he stepped forward, considering what had been done."

You glance around the room.

You continue, "The author was momentarily startled by the Arkati's presence - while our ancient, simple ancestors surely could not understand what Fash'lo'nae was, there is always a

palpable sense of power among the Arkati. The author did not run, however, and merely watched as Fash'lo'nae picked up a similar piece of stone and began to make several adjustments to the

design - crossing out things here, adding a detail there. It only took but a few minutes, but when the Arkati stepped back, the author considered the changes, and then nodded silently."

You slowly read, "He turned to speak to the stranger, the one who had helped him solve that which he worked on for so long, but Fash'lo'nae was gone."

A draft blows through the room, causing the panels of silk on the wall to ripple and sway.

You simply continue, "Weeks later, the author would come back to the site, to teach their people the simple glyphs and symbols that formed the ancient roots of written language."

You read, "Many strange, extraordinary things happened during those days. Another tribe suddenly deduced the secret of fire, thanks to the technique of a tall stranger. A group of giantmen,

hidden in mountain caves, would learn of the razern deposits deep within their home and summarily flake off spear points stronger and more deadly than any had ever seen before. A tribe of

gnomes discovered a breakthrough in trapping techniques, yielding to larger kills and bigger food supplies. Countless other groups of every race and creed would see some sort of enhancement

to their lives that day. All of these minor breakthroughs pointed to one source - a tall stranger with odd yellow eyes."

You continue, "However, they would see him again shortly after these little miracles. The tribe who discovered fire also discovered that it spread easily with fierce winds, and their entire

village was nearly wiped out. The giantmen who had discovered razern would find that such a precious commodity that formed such a deadly weapon would lead to bloody infighting that sundered

their large tribe into splinters. The gnomes, emboldened by their catches, began to tinker with their traps, leading to a horrible slaughter by a herd of carnivorous beasts thanks to an

ineffective pitfall. Others, in turn, suffered minor catastrophes, and all would again see the tall stranger who had so freely given them his gift of knowledge - this time, however, he did

nothing."

You slowly state, "Nothing but observe, and then he was gone."

You gently close the black tome, taking care with its pages.

With a slight flick of the wrist a small shard of black rock suddenly appears in your hand!

You trace the curling edges of the writing on your shard of black rock, and the air around your fingers blurs and contorts in odd spirals.

You state, "We will not be offering prayers, tonight."

You survey the area.

You ask, "... do any of you know why?"

Inurtia glances about with a look of concern on her face.

Alexandrietta shrugs.

Archamandis shakes his head.

Grisle asks, "Is he not so vain as other Arkati?"

You ponder the meaning of Grisle's existence.

Saidear asks, "Because you said so?"

Speaking to Grisle, you say, "An adequate response."

Speaking to Saidear, you say, "... less so."

You say, "As the passages I have read illustrate, the Grandfather - as we so often call him - has only one purpose."

You state, "That purpose is to learn."

You say, "We may benefit from his knowledge, or we may not. However, when granted its only purpose is to further his own understanding - not benevolence."

You ask, "Thus I ask, what does he have to gain from our prayers?"

You continue, "What can we teach him by beseaching and begging that he does not know?"

You say, "This, that I hold in my hand..."

You trace the curling edges of the writing on your shard of black rock, and the air around your fingers blurs and contorts in odd spirals.

You say, "This is a shard of the rock. The rock on which written language was invented."

Inurtia says, "Quite the relic."

Speaking to Inurtia, you say, "Indeed."

You slowly say, "He gave us this because he wanted to know what we would do with it."

You ask, "What do the mice in the maze do when granted a little bit of knowledge?"

Alifair says, "That actually makes perfect sense."

Grisle says, "They use it to progress further."

Alexandrietta asks, "It does?"

You nod at Alifair.

Speaking to Grisle, you say, "Again, an apt response."

Alexandrietta asks, "Why not just teach them?"

Myrefalcon says, "Knowledge for knowledge's sake."

Alexandrietta says, "I don't understand such a round about method."

Tehrror softly asks, "So what benefit do we get from praying to him if he only aids as incidental consequence to his own ends?"

Speaking to Tehrror, you say, "None at all. That is why we are not."

You say, "The purpose of the Grandfather is to seek knowledge. He does this to teach himself, not to teach us."

You ask, "But he is something far greater than us, is he not?"

Durakar shakes his head.

Speaking quietly to herself, Alexandrietta says, "Speak for yourself."

You glance between Alexandrietta and Durakar.

You slowly say, "... if we are to approach this with the logical given that knowledge is the ultimate purpose."

You say, "He who knows the most is the greatest."

You say, "... and whether or not you respect that notion, it would be foolish to deny the depth of his learning in comparison to our own."

You say, "Prayer earns us little."

You say, "Study earns us everything."

You say, "While those in service of most of the Arkati while their days away in prayer and offerings of incense or blood..."

You say, "The best we can do to honor Fash'lo'nae is to follow his example and learn."

(Raelee gives all of those assembled another long, scrutinizing gaze.)

You slowly say, "... thus, I will pose a question to you all."

Sereh's face turns slightly pale.

Speaking quickly to Sereh, you say, "Oh do relax, I am not going to do anything."

You close your eyes for a moment.

You clearly ask, "What do you want to learn?"

Japhrimel says, "That which I do not know."

You glance expectantly around the room.

Alifair says, "Everything."

You nod at Japhrimel.

You nod at Alifair.

Saidear says, "Whatever I can."

Alexandrietta says, "How to defeat my enemies."

Grisle says, "I'm interested in learning how to best giants."

Grisle nods.

Ainsley says, "Why people make the choices they do, usually."

Speaking to Japhrimel, you say, "I can especially appreciate your response."

Speaking to Alifair, you add, "And yours."

Sereh says, "I just want to know what I need to know before I need it."

Durakar says, "I want to learn that which I need to know. To know everything is too much, yet to not seek knowledge would be foolish."

Speaking to Sereh, you say, "Useful."

Angeleze says, "I want to know why people don't live in harmony with nature and instead try to control it."

Tehrror softly says, "I want to learn how to make my mechanical devices work better, especially to perfect my mechanical dragon fire starter."

Speaking to Durakar, you ask, "And why would it be too much?"

(Raelee raises both eyebrows slightly, gazing evenly at Durakar.)

Willhee drunkenly says, "I jess be want'in ta know where I can be find'in a drink."

Speaking to you, Durakar says, "To know everything is to hold too much power in one's hands. Power is a very dangerous thing to have when one holds so much."

Antory says, "I want to learn how to portect others."

You say, "Perhaps if power is what you seek."

You say, "Knowledge is not inherently dangerous - only the application of it."

You say, "Those with true dedication to this path, however... they do not seek power."

Antory says, "Maybe we shuold plan this knowledge, think ahead."

You say, "We only wish to know."

Tehrror softly says, "The possession of knowledge, a little or a lot, is only as good or bad as the use its put to."

You nod at Tehrror.

You say, "Exactly."

Tehrror softly asks, "So what use would be knowing everything if none is used?"

You say, "And all that we learn opens doors to more. We seek everything, even if we may never reach it."

Speaking to Tehrror, you say, "We are operating on the philosophical ideal that knowledge is the ultimate end."

Speaking to you, Durakar says, "Yet no one can have knowledge and not apply it in some manner. Even if that application is the refusal to do anything about it."

You say, "Though there is some debate as to whether or not knowing truly everything is even possible, given that knowledge is often merely a stepping stone to more."

Speaking to Durakar, Kohanna asks, "The same could be said of ignorance, though, couldn't it?"

You say, "And while we could debate this endlessly, I will move on to another question."

Japhrimel says, "And knowing whether one can know everything is merely one more thing to learn."

Alifair says, "A journey from here to forever..."

You clearly ask, "You know what you wish to learn. The second question is, what are you willing to do to learn it?"

Speaking to you, Myrefalcon says, "I generally have come to discover that the more knowledge I gain, the more questions I have, and the more knowledge I realize there is TO gain."

Alifair says, "That is a more interesting question."

Speaking to Myrefalcon, you say, "It never ends. It is, in truth, a life of wanting."

Alifair asks, "Would you cut someone open to find out how they work?"

Speaking to Alifair, you ask, "What better way is there to learn?"

Ainsley asks, "Don't most of us?"

Speaking to Alifair, Myrefalcon says, "I have."

Alifair says, "But here is where the paths can divide, I believe."

Speaking to Durakar, Kohanna says, "I only mean that chosing not to seek knowledge is, in itself, a decision that leads to consequences."

You say, "Consequences."

Speaking to Kohanna, you say, "A rather timely choice of words."

Alifair says, "Consequences."

Alifair nods.

Kohanna flushes slightly, some color reaching her cheeks.

You clearly state, "Action. Consequence. Results."

Speaking to Kohanna, Durakar says, "Everything will lead to consequences, I was stating that gaining knowledge will do so even if one does nothing with that knowledge other than hold it."

Alifair says, "But no mention of conscience."

Speaking to Alifair, you say, "Because to learn is above morality."

Alifair says, "To some."

Speaking to Alifair, you say, "To the Grandfather."

Alifair says, "Indeed."

Grisle says, "It seems even he may be not be interested in all knowledge."

Speaking to Grisle, you ask, "And why do you say that?"

Speaking to you, Grisle asks, "Does he hunger for what is beyond the shroud, in death?"

Speaking to Grisle, you say, "I would imagine so."

Speaking to Grisle, you say, "As with everything, even the Grandfather has to set his priorities. He is not a creature of omniscience, though from our narrow perspective it may oft seem

that he is."

Grisle nods to you.

You say, "Though, I expect he has resources to explore that far more practical than our own."

Alexandrietta says, "It's funny how people think of those with great strength as deities."

Tehrror softly says, "I'm wondering though, assuming he would wish to know what was behind the shroud. It seems likely that he'd have no issue sacrifiing others to find out, but would he

take the journey himself to gain the knowledge."

Alexandrietta asks, "Why would you if you can make someone else do it for you?"

You say, "As previously mentioned..."

Inurtia says, "Oberservation and self experience lend different results and perspectives."

You say, "Action, consequence, results."

You say, "We act. We accept and observe the consequences. The results are what we learn."

Alexandrietta says, "But you get the chance to decide later if you NEED to experience it yourself."

You say, "The consequences can be great, but that is something we do accept."

You say, "Perhaps, if I came to the conclusion that I must pass beyond the shroud myself to learn..."

You say, "... I would first seek to learn a way to return."

Alifair smiles.

Speaking softly to Inurtia, Tehrror asks, "The conundrum of the effect of the observer on what is being observed. Can even he really know?"

Alexandrietta says, "That's what I am saying, experiment with someone else first."

You nod at Alexandrietta.

You glance around the room.

Speaking to you, Myrefalcon says, "Some say that the mere observence of an action might effect the result therefore the consequence."

Moonlight shines on the shrine, making the figures carved into it seem as if they could come alive at any moment.

Speaking to Myrefalcon, you say, "It is possible."

Speaking softly to you, Tehrror says, "That would be a different experiment. Knowing he could return would result in a different experience than knowing he could not."

Speaking to Japhrimel, Kohanna says, "I somehow think that might not have desireable consequences."
Tehrror agrees with Myrefalcon.

You say, "One of the earliest things we often find on this path is that there are few truly easy answers."

You say, "Allow me to pose another question."

You slowly ask, "... have you all learned something tonight?"

Speaking to you, Grisle says, "Indeed."

Speaking to you, Myrefalcon says, "Aye."

Kohanna says, "Yes, it was very informative."

Angeleze says, "I'm just as confused as ever."

Antory says, "Yes, not be curious in front of strangers."

You state, "If you have, then we have honored The Grandfather well."

Speaking to Angeleze, Myrefalcon says, "Then you have at least learned that."

Angeleze says, "I suppose."

You say, "And if you have not..."

You say, "An even better step would be to do what you can to answer your lingering questions."

Tehrror softly says, "I learned about an Arkati I had only heard the name of before. Very informative, indeed."

Speaking simply to Tehrror, you say, "Good."

Alifair says, "Thank you very much. Though provoking as ever."

Speaking to Alifair, you say, "I know."

Speaking to you, Kohanna says, "Thank you very much for speaking with us about this."

You nod slowly at Kohanna.

Speaking to you, Kohanna says, "You are clearly very knowledgeable, and it was enlightening to hear you speak."

Speaking to Kohanna, you say, "If there are further questions, I am willing to entertain them."

Kohanna asks, "Does anyone have a question for the Magister?"

(Raelee nods slightly.)

Grisle asks, "We as a group typically group Fash'no'lae amongst those of Lornon, correct?"

You say, "Correct."

Grisle asks, "Is there a reason for this, beyond what some would perceive as a callousness for well being?"

Grisle says, "Our, well being."

You say, "Once, long ago, the Arkati divided themselves amongst the moons."

You say, "These positions were ones of their own choosing."

You say, "One would say Fash'lo'nae is of Lornon because of his known association with Eorgina. A measure of loyalty."

Tehrror softly says, "Oh. I guessed that it was perhaps his 'at any cost' philosophy about gaining knowledge. Knowledge without morality, that is."

Alexandrietta says, "Everyone picks their own side and try to justify it by saying it's for a higher purposes. Everyone does things for selfish reasons."

You say, "There is often a mindset that the division between Liabo and Lornon is somehow a division between good and evil or light and dark."

You say, "In the beginning, however, it was more... as you might say... political."

You say, "Even those of Lornon represent something that is simply a part of life, unpleasant as it may possibly be."

You say, "He is of Lornon because he lives there."

Speaking confusedly to herself, Angeleze says, "Politics."

Speaking to Grisle, you ask, "But does where you live define what you are?"

Speaking to Grisle, you ask, "Absolutely?"

Speaking to you, Angeleze says, "It's a part of who you are."

Speaking to Angeleze, you say, "But it is certainly not everything."

You say, "Shades of grey."

Tehrror softly says, "I would say the distinction of good or evil came more from those who choose to follow particular aspects of given arkati. And then how they act on those aspects."

You nod at Tehrror.

Tehrror softly says, "Not so much that dark is evil, light is good."

You say, "What defines good and evil is often relative... based on the particular model of morality and ethics you adhere to."

Alexandrietta says, "Good. Evil. People want power. So there is conflict."

Alexandrietta says, "The rest are details."

You say, "What Lumnis might call evil is entirely different from what Luukos might call evil."

You ask, "Who, precisely, is correct?"

Speaking to Grisle, you ask, "Does that answer your question sufficiently?"

Speaking to you, Grisle says, "Thank you."

Speaking to Grisle, you say, "Curiosity always deserves reward."

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."