Targeting Familiars 06/09/2017 01:14 PM CDT
I've seen my familiar affected by certain mob actions and spells but not often enough to get an idea of which types of spells or actions are the most common. It got me thinking about how this benefits the wizard in a small way and could this be expanded to benefit in a bigger way? Could the familiar be targeted more often? Could it be targeted for simple attacks? Would this create an issue where the familiar could be killed? All questions that would need to be worked out.

Air and water lore training augments 920 already. Perhaps Earth lore training would increase a familiars chances at being targeted over the wizard?

Could a Dev explain where things currently stand with how familiars are targeted and by what?

Thanks!

Chad, player of a few
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/09/2017 03:00 PM CDT
I haven't seen anything attack my familiar in years. I just assumed they disabled it.

~ Methais
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/09/2017 03:05 PM CDT
I might have seen mine affected by a warcry recently. Web might be another one. It would be nice to compile all that info. I'll have to remember to do that when I see it next time.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/09/2017 06:18 PM CDT
Things used to directly attack your familiar. IIRC it'd hit for a bunch of damage, the familiar would die and show up dead, but wouldn't actually be dead. Then one day stuff just stopped attacking it.

~ Methais
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/09/2017 07:09 PM CDT
My familiar gets targeted in the red forest (not with AS/CS attacks but creature abilities).
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/15/2017 04:56 PM CDT
My familiar gets targeted in the red forest (not with AS/CS attacks but creature abilities).
VERSIN

Yeah, thats where I hunt now. Red Forest. This just happened...

A direbear's face contorts as she unleashes a gutteral, deep-throated growl at a golden-eyed majestic white owl!
A golden-eyed majestic white owl is overcome with a terrible rage!

Then a little while later...

A golden-eyed majestic white owl's unnatural rage is once again replaced by the owl's natural demeanor.

I'm still curious to know more about how familiars are sometimes targeted by certain things. I seem to recall web being one of them also.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/15/2017 06:16 PM CDT
I also had sign of possession target my familiar (my brother used the sign). Rather funny.

[Vornavis, Outlands Road]
Tall grasses mix with bracken and stunted trees on the slopes of shallow hills. Black against the eastern night sky, the top of an ancient tower peers menacingly over the crests of the intervening hills. You also see a reinforced shield, a reinforced shield, the blackened silver Azerik disk and a lightning wyrdling that appears rather calm.
Re: Targeting Familiars 06/15/2017 06:56 PM CDT
>>I'm still curious to know more about how familiars are sometimes targeted by certain things. I seem to recall web being one of them also.

Still from the perspective that having creatures attack the familiar (or spend their actions on) is a 'good thing' to consider?

Doug