What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/03/2017 12:33 PM CDT
>prep 920
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Call Familiar...
Your spell is ready.
>summon lemur
You wait patiently, but to no avail.

Years ago (but still in GS4 I'm pretty sure) we could SUMMON <familiar type> and usually get it if it was native to that realm. This hasn't worked for quite a while, I just never remembered to post about it.

What happened to this feature?

~ Methais
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/03/2017 12:46 PM CDT
Instead of keeping something simple that made it fun for my wizard and his familiar, they now turned it into a tedious irritation that works with slightly less accuracy.

You now need to make some stupid talisman and go about casting call familiar until you eventually get the familiar you want. Then you need to wave the talisman or some crap (check the wiki on call familiar, I forget the exact specifics) to set that talisman to the familiar you have currently summoned.

At this point, using the talisman should give you a much greater chance to call that specific familiar. Sometimes you may get a variation of it....for example. Maybe your talisman is setup for a raven. You utilize the talisman, but instead of getting a raven you get "a black raven".

I hate it. I guess some people like it.

I really liked SUMMON when it was working with the spell. I could always summon the familiar I wanted. Now I'm stuck jumping through hoops to try and obtain the same results. I wrote off utilizing Call Familiar from that point on and took it out of my roleplaying my wizard did.

-Drumpel
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/03/2017 12:51 PM CDT
I don't know what happened to SUMMON familiar, but you can use the merchant quality familiar talismans to save the exact familiar you want. As long as you remember to make or make backup copies of the familiar on a new talisman before the first runs out, you should always be able to get it again.
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/03/2017 01:50 PM CDT
>>I don't know what happened to SUMMON familiar, but you can use the merchant quality familiar talismans to save the exact familiar you want. As long as you remember to make or make backup copies of the familiar on a new talisman before the first runs out, you should always be able to get it again.

uhmm, hopefully Raelee can still summon her owl?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/03/2017 09:04 PM CDT
>uhmm, hopefully Raelee can still summon her owl?

Fear not! Owly is immortal. (IE - Owly is bound to a permanent, custom familiar talisman.)

Previous to that, however, I find that if you want a VERY specific familar... the talismans (even the regular, non-merchant ones) were superior to summon.

When the talismans entered the picture, the number of descriptive options for familiars also greatly expanded. Familiar 1.0... we only had a few kinds of owls. White, grey, great horned and speckled... if I recall correctly.

Enter Call Familiar 2.0 (circa 2006). This is when talismans entered the game. There's like 18 owl varieties. (This is also when Owly actually entered the picture - barn owls weren't available previously.) Getting the correct one would have taken forever as summon didn't include the ability to summon a specific owl. However, since the original talismans are weighted towards summoning an exact clone of the familiar you used to create them... as a capped wizard, I was averaging less than 3 casts to summon a male barn owl with no additional descriptors. That's not bad. (The chance is based on wizard spell ranks.) As others mentioned though, the merchant ones (which can also be made via alchemy) have a 100% chance.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/04/2017 10:46 AM CDT

>uhmm, hopefully Raelee can still summon her owl?

>>Fear not! Owly is immortal. (IE - Owly is bound to a permanent, custom familiar talisman.)

Every now and then, Clunk gets the sense that things are as they should be.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 06/13/2017 01:09 PM CDT

While not as a direct answer to SUMMON, but remember that alchemy can make familiar talismans that will summon a SPECIFIC familiar. Have a green-eyed calico cat? It'll summon that every single time. There's a few different tiers of these talismans, above the off the shelf ones.

The first, shop sold, will only summon a type of animal, descriptions vary.

The first made via alchemy will summon a specific beast, but only those found naturally, not altered familiars.

The second tier made via alchemy can be bound to an altered familiar, and will summon it every time.

The last crafted in the alchemical labs, each have their own formula, and will summon a pre-altered familiar, of which there are 12.
Re: What happened to SUMMON familiar? 01/23/2018 11:55 AM CST

In case anyone remembers it, there was also one amusing night when SUMMON first came out that you could summon (arbitrary adjective) (standard familiar). So there was quite a host of undead foxes, blue cats, whatever you could think of. Familiar Gate also worked cross-realms for that night and I was Gating back and forth between Icemule and Ta'Illistim. :D