Familiar Utility 01/28/2016 03:12 PM CST
Right now I find that 920 (Call Familiar) is a pretty weak and mostly RP feature. Most other professions that have summoning powers have much more useful "pets".

What does this ability bring to the class that is not simply an RP gimmick?

Sorcerers can summon a demon (725) that can:
1. Carry coins
2. Hold mana
3. Hold items (of significant size, mind you)
4. Break sanctuaries
5. Take control of a web
5. Guard your pockets from thieves
6. Deliver messages
7. Find players for you
8. Even eat junk you want to trash!

On top of those abilities, it also contributes damage when using 713 and can carry a floating eye (707) for the Sorcerer making some of their spells work better.

The demon is significantly harder to summon than a Familiar, and not all of them do all of the listed utility, but a sorcerer can control which demon they summon with proper training and runes.

Animal Companion (630) is also a lot more useful! Specifically in combat.
Animate Dead (730) also more useful! It just lasts less time, and requires you to find a target to animate - but once you animate something it has a great deal more it can do like attack and cast magic spells!

Then you have Spirit Servant (218). While this little guy has a lot less functional / RP value it does one essential and awesome service. It automatically retrieves a disarmed weapon for you! How great is that. I'll tell you - pretty great! It can also preserve you if you die!

Now, what does 920 do by itself?

1. Lets you look through it's eyes (707 does this too)
2. Lets you send it to town when you die so it can ask for help for you?
3. You can leave it to lurk in a room for you and watch that room...
4. Find other players! Just like demons!
5. Read stuff!
6. And fun emote/rp things.

It does combine with 930 giving you the ability to travel within the same realm, and that's awesome - but still requires a second spell to actually have a practical use for the pet. The only other noticeable value that I have ever heard about is that having your familiar summoned and in the same room can increase the success of Enchanting (925).

My suggestion is not to make 920 an uber amazing creature that destroys everything, but it should have some additional utility added and control! I think that Wizards should be able to summon a specific type of familiar to suit a specific utility it can bring (like 725 and demons).

That utility, in my opinion, needs to suit the class. Right now, the Wizard class seems particularly weak while disabled. What if you had a variety of creatures that could be summoned with Call Familiar which were specialized in breaking specific disabling effects (Web, Bind, Stun, Silence or Rage) a certain number of times per day. The number of times would be based on your training of specific skills (i.e. EMC or HP). Then Wizards could actually have a familiar that does not 1) help them fight with damage (725, 730, 630) or 2) help them protect their possessions (725, 218), but it would 3) protect them by removing status effects (limited to a number of times per day)! A unique, but specifically useful for Wizards, effect.

I think this ability would go a long way to addressing some of the new concerns raised by removal of spell potency / power from other spells (506 particularly) by providing the Wizard with a new mechanic that can save their life!
Re: Familiar Utility 01/28/2016 03:19 PM CST

Has there ever been any talk about allowing a mage to cast invisibility on their familiar? I for one would find it fun, useful, and eye appealing in that there would be less of a menagerie outside tables or merchant shops that restrict pets.
Re: Familiar Utility 01/28/2016 03:34 PM CST
>>Has there ever been any talk about allowing a mage to cast invisibility on their familiar? I for one would find it fun, useful, and eye appealing in that there would be less of a menagerie outside tables or merchant shops that restrict pets.

I don't have the necessary Air Lore to check, but I wonder if that should be part of the Evoke change to allow you to make your group invisible, as most summoned creatures gain the benefit of group spells.
Re: Familiar Utility 01/28/2016 05:04 PM CST
I'm encouraged by a lot of idea posts.
Re: Familiar Utility 01/28/2016 05:29 PM CST

the ANCHOR ability could also stand to just be baseline. It's purely a QoL improvement 99% of the time, as it's not hard to find someone in town center anyway which is where you'd anchor it more often than not as is. Locking it behind a FIFTY lore investment doesn't seem like a good perk for water lore.

Make ANCHOR baseline, make the EL:W investment be bonus mana regen if your familiar is at your ANCHOR point. Gives everyone the helpful but not not at all game changing quality of life benefit, keeps the lore benefit for water mages tied to the spell.
Re: Familiar Utility 02/06/2016 02:59 PM CST
I use my familiar for rescues in OTF all the time.

I always have mine parked by the portal out. The key is the ability to have the familiar find the corpse, cast Gate, and have the familiar return to you (and stay) before going through the mist yourself. That usually saves a long drag through no-dragging-allowed-in-my-presence construct country.

Familiar Gate is a great spell once you have enough training to only cause a small stun when you fail the cast - and there will be not uncommon failures even well beyond cap.

Askip
Re: Familiar Utility 02/06/2016 05:23 PM CST
<Familiar Gate is a great spell once you have enough training to only cause a small stun when you fail the cast - and there will be not uncommon failures even well beyond cap.

I would say familiar gate is potentially a great spell, but it suffers from the limitations of the familiar mechanics and those ridiculous failure penalties for insufficient training. This is just another instance where wizards have fallen behind due to lack of development.

~Taverkin
Re: Familiar Utility 02/06/2016 08:06 PM CST
<<I would say familiar gate is potentially a great spell, but it suffers from the limitations of the familiar mechanics and those ridiculous failure penalties for insufficient training. This is just another instance where wizards have fallen behind due to lack of development.>>

You can use the gate rune but yes, i agree. I'm not a fan at all of "you learn this spell now, but you actually can't reliably use it for 40 levels" model. Gate failures, in general, are just lame. Sorry, it should just work. I've never once hate gate fail and been like "that was super fun, it really immersed me in the world more to have to run and eat herbs for no reason"

the ANCHOR ability should be baseline, it's a great QOL improvement that has no business being locked behind a FIFTY rank lore threshold.
Re: Familiar Utility 02/17/2016 01:17 PM CST
I think you have forgotten the most important feature of 725:

0. YEARS OF TRYING TO MASTER ILLUSIONS

For a lot of people, it kind of negates those other 8 you listed.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Familiar Utility 02/17/2016 03:23 PM CST
>0. YEARS OF TRYING TO MASTER ILLUSIONS

This is completely irrelevant these days when demons are allowed in the towns with the capped hunting grounds with demon permits (no, OTF is not a capped hunting ground). In fact, there is about zero reason other than RP to do illusion training.
Re: Familiar Utility 02/17/2016 03:46 PM CST
How is OTF not a capped hunting ground? Many capped characters have hunted there for years.