Oh pinion... 07/15/2015 09:53 PM CDT
My current project is a wizard with an avian familiar. After learning 920 I'd consistently summon the same familiar using the binding rune for months. During the Spitfire run, with the awesome customization of familiars and talismans to keep them (Thank you Galene!), my familiar shed a feather. It had not ever done that before. During the week of the Spitfire it shed at least three. Since the Spitfire it has only shed one!

My character has a use for these feathers so it is a delight that this is something that happens. Not having played a wizard with an avian familiar for a good length of time I have to ask how often does this happen?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Oh pinion... 07/16/2015 11:05 AM CDT
You know, that's a great question!

It is rare, but I'm sure it's just a random check against a value (percentage) to see if it happens. What that value is, and how frequent the check I have no real idea.

It makes sense in that regard that you may trigger it multiple times in a short period, then not see it for quite some time. I hope you get an answer!

Doug
Re: Oh pinion... 07/20/2015 01:10 PM CDT
Possibly a little late to the party here...

But I've had an avian familiar for years. And, if I'm logged in... that owl is usually parked in the town center for wherever I am. With a heavily-used owl familiar, I can say from personal experience that I probably average at least a week or two between feathers.

(When this feature was first released years ago... the rate was MUCH higher. The end result was that at the end of an evening, you might have a pile of feathers 20-deep piled up in TSC. Needless to say, the gen rate was slowed down pretty quickly after that.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Oh pinion... 07/20/2015 01:24 PM CDT
A reply from the familiar queen herself!

It makes sense that it is a pretty rare occurrence. Too many feathers and it would get obnoxious. It puzzled me because the first time it happened with my familiar was at the Spitfire when the new familiars and talismans were released. I thought perhaps it tied into that release.

Good to know. Thank you for the info!

It got me thinking that it would be neat if wizard familiar feathers had special properties for fletching.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Oh pinion... 07/20/2015 01:43 PM CDT
>>It got me thinking that it would be neat if wizard familiar feathers had special properties for fletching.

Agreed! Wouldn't it be cool if:

1) Avian familiar - as discussed (fletching).
2) Lupine familiar - hair useful for alchemical reagent or even short term affect (like 'grouped fear resist' - the pack fears nothing).
3) Rodent familiar - hair useful for alchemical reagent or even short term affect (like 'sneaky shadowy ability' - the rat goes where it will).
4) Wyrdlings - small crystaline elemental forces (don't ask where they come from!!) useful for alchemical reagent or even short term affect (like 'resist this!' - hanging around a ball of lightning builds up a certain toughness to one's senses).

And so on. . .

Doug
Re: Oh pinion... 07/20/2015 05:49 PM CDT
>>>>It got me thinking that it would be neat if wizard familiar feathers had special properties for fletching.

or or ... certain owly feathers give a wisdom bonus ...

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Oh pinion... 07/21/2015 12:50 PM CDT
>or or ... certain owly feathers give a wisdom bonus ...

By "bonus" you mean "severe penalty"... right? :)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."