Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 11:27 AM CDT
So! If you bring your familiar to the rift planes and then leave the rift.. your familiar gets stuck there. You get the messaging that "your familiar is too far away too command." At this point, your familiar won't return, won't follow any commands, and you're stuck having to go back into the rift to carry it out. Quite the inconvenience. Bug or intended?
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 05:23 PM CDT
Hmm...familiars should not follow into or out of the Rift. Sounds like a bug.

--
Naos
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 05:55 PM CDT
Just did some quick and dirty testing and a brief nance through the code, and I was not able to reproduce this, nor does it look like it should be possible. If it happens again, a bug report from the room you landed in would be useful. You should be able to bug the familiar itself...I think.

--
Naos
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 06:36 PM CDT
Did you carry it in?

Doug
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 06:39 PM CDT
I have carried my familiar into the rift in the past so I know this is possible. I didn't note any issues upon leaving in the past but likely I just let the spell expire.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/20/2011 06:44 PM CDT
You have to carry your familiar in or more unpleasantly, if you die, your familiar joins you on the rift. Otherwise when you enter the rift they sleep in the cavern of ages.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/21/2011 08:28 AM CDT
Aha. I only just noticed the bit at the end of the original post about having to go back in and carry the familiar out. We will file this as a feature. It's absolutely intended that a familiar will not follow you into or out of the rift. Being able to carry one in by hand isn't something I had originally considered, but I don't see any reason to change that behavior.

The bit where your familiar comes to you when you die in the rift is, however, a bug. (Assuming, of course, that the familiar was not already in the Rift.)

--
Naos
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/21/2011 10:43 AM CDT
If you die in the rift and your familiar was in the cavern, then the familiar joins you on the rift when you die. So when you decay (because no one rescues there!) you can't go pity yourself back in town somewhere. Instead, you have to spell back up and go back into the rift if you want to get your familiar back.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/21/2011 05:19 PM CDT
Foregoing for a moment what happens when Naos gets ahold of this little gem. . .

Have you tried to refresh your familiar to return him / her to your side?

Doug
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/21/2011 06:09 PM CDT
I don't think I have, but I can't log in at the moment to check. Anyone else wanna give it a whirl?
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/21/2011 06:29 PM CDT
Alright I lied, I tried. It didn't work.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/29/2011 08:16 AM CDT
How about dismissing it entirely? Much as I know Zippy is an integral part of Oravia's lifestyle, it may be possible to correct it that way, until Naos has a fix in.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/29/2011 06:44 PM CDT
Can't dismiss a familiar that's too far away to interact with. I could let the spell run out I guess, but then I have to find another male red fox. It's annoying.
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/30/2011 08:23 AM CDT
>Can't dismiss a familiar that's too far away to interact with.

Perhaps he meant Stop 920? In any event, that would still leave you needing another male red fox :-(
Re: Zippy and the Rift 06/30/2011 05:48 PM CDT
"Zippy and the Rift"; is that anything like "Benny and the Jets"?

(I keep hearing this title set to that tune; someone stop the music!)
Re: Zippy and the Rift 07/19/2011 12:31 PM CDT
If you want the same "familiar" every time there's a spell that does that already, 630. It doesn't have near the use of 920 but it's the same companion all the time.

Keith/Brinret

Caden says, "Once more, and I will animate your corpse until you beg for your final death."
Re: Zippy and the Rift 07/19/2011 02:04 PM CDT
Hm.. Maybe I learn that one at 3x cap.