Forced Name Change? 06/18/2017 05:13 AM CDT
My 23-year old son is visiting me from college for Father's Day, and we were talking about Gemstone IV and how I loved playing Gemstone III on AOL when he was a kid.
We created an account because he wanted to play a Dark Elf, he is a big fan of Bob Salvatorre's "Drizzt" series. I was happy to see him play.

He ask what we should name his character, and I suggested the "Xexx" after my original character from the 1990's. I thought it would be ironic, since I often refer to my father as "Xexx" during the game. That name was apparently taken (my original cleric perhaps?) so he changed his Elf's name to "Xxexx". Everything seemed good and he said that he liked the people on "Prime" who were welcoming and supportive, if not a little confusing with their advice. I told him about the importance of logins for login rewards so he would download the front-end onto his laptop.

When he logged in tonight, his character was forced into a room, and told that he had to have a mandatory name change. I am not certain why that decision was made, nor how to appeal that decision - so in the meantime, he tried to change his name to "Gromph" and that didn't take. Then he tried to change his name to "Killian" and that did not take either. He became a little discouraged and logged out.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? As a father, I was glad to have my "Player 2" join me - I only get to see him once or twice a year now that he's in college and he graduates next year. Can anyone help me understand the name change and appeals process; because he seems unable to make the system work?
Re: Forced Name Change? 06/18/2017 05:43 AM CDT
I'm sorry to hear there was some frustration with trying to find a name for a new character. But in general, using a lot of consonants in a name is not exactly a great idea. Especially if there is already a character named very similar to it. For many, seeing names such as that causes a hiccup in their immersion to the roleplaying atmosphere.

If you type POLICY 6 in-game there's a good explanation on why many styles of names aren't quite the right...fit. But I'll go ahead and paste below what you'll see.

>POLICY 6

GemStone IV Player Policy: Character Names

The following guidelines are in place to ensure a high level of consistency among the names of the adventurers within our community. Players consistently creating names that violate the guidelines may be formally warned or face suspension of playing privileges.

- Names with titles in them. (Knighblackness, Mistressjade, Kingdan)
- Phrases. (Imatoasteroven, Irocku, Westandtall, Youfearme)
- Technology based names. (Laserbrain, Jetfighter, Mouseclicker)
- Copyrighted or trademarked names. (Nintendo, Lucasfilm, Chevy)
- Odd punctuation or capitalization. (Fragel DeLYon)
- Garbage names. (Xxbdgscy , Yyyzzz)
- Names with repetitive letters. Two may be allowed, three will not. (Xxfredxx, Ghannndalf, Marrrisa)
- Abbreviations or words with missing letters are not allowed. (Drgnslr, Grngobln, Ldyjssie)
- Character names should not be the name of any of the monsters, gods, goddesses, towns or cities in Elanthia.
- Names that mimic items or creature names. (Broadsword, Tower, Puma)
- Names too similar to names of Staff members or NPCs in game.
- Famous out-of-genre literary figures or well-known literary terms. (Buckrogers, Chewybacca)
- Names of out-of-genre personalities from T.V., literature, cartoons, video games, or movies. (Hansolo, Clarkkent, Spongebob)
- Names of current or past well-known personalities. (Madonna, Goldberg, Cronkite)
- Names of well-known historical or religious figures. (Hitler, God, Stpeter, Gandhi)
- Names of real locations, holidays, or events. (Chicago, Easter, Mitzvah)
- Vulgarity of any sort will not be allowed.
- Racist or racist related terms are clearly unacceptable.
- Drug-related terms are not allowed. (Cocaine, Opium, and prescription names)
- Names clearly in bad taste will not be allowed. (Lykmipihole or Monkeyspanker)
- Names created specifically to mock current players.

Names used from a fantasy naming generator (including the one in the character creation for GemStone) do not automatically comply to this policy.

Two words that form a name do not automatically violate the naming policy.

There may be names within the lands that do not adhere to the above guidelines. The fact that these names were created prior to this revision has no bearing on the creation of new names. We will not argue or debate names currently in the game, if we feel a newly created name violates our guidelines.

If you were sent to re-create your name, but feel your name is acceptable, and you wish to appeal, you must file the appeal in writing to gsfeedback@simutronics.com. Your request will be submitted to the senior staff for review. Be prepared to wait 1 to 2 weeks for a review of your appeal.

If an existing name is found to be a blatant violation of our guidelines, the senior staff may either request or force a name change depending upon the severity of the guideline breech or disruption among the community.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Forced Name Change? 06/18/2017 08:54 AM CDT
The game has been around long enough that getting your first pick of a name is unlikely. You may want to encourage him to get creative with spelling at the very least. Here are some possible alternatives to the three you mentioned (Xxexx, Gromph, Killian) that might be available:

Xesk, Xezz, Zess, Xekt, Zekt, Xexen, Zezen, Xyxer, Zyzer, Xeyger,
Groff, Grymph, Grompf, Grompft, Gormpf, Gorf, Jorph
Kilyan, Killeyn, Kyllian, Kalyan, Kyllyn, Kallan, Kellek, Kellik, Kelym, Keylor, Keilor

Best of luck.

P.S. I love naming characters. :>
Re: Forced Name Change? 06/19/2017 03:36 AM CDT
dad - don't worry about it. just so you guys know, my middle name is "x" for Xavier. my grandmother likes the x in our name because saint peter dies on an upside down x instead of a cross. Also, Malcolm X. was a very influential speaker that I wrote about back in high school. dad said that "xexx" was the name of his original character in gemstone but he couldn't get it back cause it was from 1993 or something.

dad, thanks for trying to show me your game but I tried 3 times and got nothing so, i'm just gonna stick to my P-state D&D group. this mud stuff is more for you and your girlfriend and older people anyways. younger guys like Warcraft or if you really want a good game - check out event zero dawn on the playstation 4. you just have to pay $60 once and you don't have guys telling you that you can't use your own middle name as your guy's name. see you when you come out to visit!
Re: Forced Name Change? 06/19/2017 03:50 PM CDT

So,

I think it's really neat that he was trying to get into Gemstone on Father's day.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Forced Name Change? 06/21/2017 03:53 PM CDT
Aaaaand now I feel old. Thanks ;)