Which class? 03/16/2017 04:19 PM CDT
I'm a long-time DR player thinking about trying out GS, but I'm not quite following the new player guides. Can anyone give me a basic rundown of the strengths/weaknesses/uniquness of each of the classes relative to each other?
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 04:52 PM CDT
https://gswiki.play.net/Profession

will help. Their relative strengths are pretty standard. Warriors are better open fighters while rogues are better ambushers, for example. Paladins are better than bards are physical combat. Sorcerers are mostly offense. Etc.
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 05:30 PM CDT

I'm not sure how DR works but the training costs for skills is a good indicator what classes could excel at. If something costs less and/or they have the ability to triple train then those are skills that class could excel.
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 06:28 PM CDT

I've read through the professions, and even some of the build types. I just find it all overwhelming, and I can't tell what is useful and what will be ignored. For example, are sleep based attacks worthwhile, or will I just be powering through. Is a sorceror a glass cnaon or can it handle it's own? Is enchanting worth rolling a wizard for, or is it mostly ignored exccept for the best of the best. I'm just lost and can't decide what I would want to play for, potentially, years.
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 07:34 PM CDT
What do you like to do? That might help.

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 07:38 PM CDT

Is everything a valid answer? I like classes with a lot of options that don't feel gimped as a jack of all/master of none type build. I like options, multiple builds, and some minor and needed utility. I find that I tend to gravitate to magical classes, and I like them to be able to hold their own in combat. They don't have to be the best, but I don't want to be solely dependant on others to hunt.
Re: Which class? 03/16/2017 08:12 PM CDT

you're not limited to 1 F2P account, try a few, try them all
Re: Which class? 03/17/2017 02:14 AM CDT
>> I'm a long-time DR player thinking about trying out GS,

Another convert! Welcome to the LIGHT Side :)

I played DR for 20 years. The last ones the saddest of them. I found the magic still in GS. You'll love it! I'm still learning every day, and that's afte 2.5 years.

~Luxie

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Which class? 03/17/2017 09:31 AM CDT
Sounds like maybe ranger?

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Which class? 03/17/2017 09:41 AM CDT
Yeah, I was thinking something like:

- Square (little magic use) - rogue
- Semi (moderate magic use) - ranger
- Pure (heavy magic use) - wizard

Doug
Re: Which class? 03/17/2017 10:37 AM CDT
I agree
Re: Which class? 03/17/2017 05:24 PM CDT

Very helpful. Thanks all.