feb premie contest entry 03/01/2012 12:06 PM CST
Not sure if anyone would actually be interested in my ideas or anything, but I posted my entry for a festival idea on the premie folder, figured since it was erithi in design I'd post it here too.

I don't know if my idea is going to be one that is generally liked or not, but I figured I'd post it. I apparently have been out of college for too long and included a wee bit of a bibliography.

*An Erithi Event I would call “The Raiyartha Kana”
*I would have this be near Ta'Illistim, probably near the town, but not within it. I would want a small festival grounds or a setup like the Pavilion the Mentors used for the Elf Weekend
*I went insanely overboard on this. Pick and choose what you would like. This could also be used as a quick-reference for almost all aspects of Erithi society:

My event would be an Erithian one. Feel free to pass the ideas along to the Mentors for their Erithian weekend, I know they don't actually have any Erithi Mentors. The Erithi are a highly unused race. Most people really just don't seem to care. I had some who, when I mentioned them, said “what, the winged people?”, so I would really like to create more interest and understanding for Erithi.

I would call this The Raiyartha Kana.. similar to the Rai'kan, the Erithian tea ceremony(1). It is believed that the Rai from Rai'kan stands for “Raiyatha” or “Soul” in Erithian and that Kan is “a conflation and then truncation of the words for tea and ceremony “(1). I would modify the Kan into Kana and say it means ceremony (there is a limited amount of known Erithian words, this is not one of them that has been previously documented).

As the name would translate, roughly, into Agate Ceremony, I would then focus on the erithian agates. The first shop I would create would have one room of loose erithian agates (2). Also, in a second room, in the shop would be a number of different asian-sounding gem-holders. For example: a lacquered pale fel bangle. I would have each of these agates be enhancive. For example: panther agate would be +2 DEX. (I know this is doable, as I have an empath half-elf only gem that boosts something or other and fits into gem-holding jewelry). I would make each agate crumbly, as well, but with a lot of charges.

A second shop, or section of the same shop, would focus on Rai'Kan, the erithian tea ceremony (1). I would provide the complex setups that have been sold previously, kettle, tea bowls, tea pot, tea cups, whisks, spoons, water, tea, condiments. I would also have a raffle for a tea table. A nicely worked table with one of the scripts that doesn't let anyone else pick it up.

Also in this shop I would have agate-specific scrying bowls, for Erithian divination, aganiri. (This was referenced in a post in the Erithi folder, but is too far back for me to provide a link.)

In another room of this shop I would provide wedding bowls. They are tea bowls, but about twice the size and made from different Erithian agates. The agate they are made from symbolizes something specific, so having the right agate bowl is important. I would also include an inscription service in this room, as wedding bowls can soemtimes be inscribed with a saying along the side (1).

If I didn't put the wedding bowls in the tea shop, I would put them in a small shrine to the two primary Arkati of the Erithi, Lumnis and Fash'Lo'Nae. Fash'lo'nae is believed, by many, to have brought the Erithi to Elanthia 1500 years ago (3/4). Lumnis is also commonly referred to as the Mistress of Agates (2). Both of which are Arkati of knowledge and that is something the Erithi hold very highly. The Nathala Dai also looks to Niima (4). I would include in this shop a few symbols for each of these arkati. However, I would also include this symbol: a slit-pupiled eye overlaying five conjoined circles. That is the symbol of the Order of the Watchful Eye, a type of martial monastic peacekeeping order (5). The combination of Fash'lo'nae's symbol and Lumnis' symbol displays the uniqueness of the Erithi's consideration for both the light and dark arkati of knowledge and wisdom.

The Order of the Watchful Eye is a group of weaponsmiths. Those who create Katana. They craft them, they bond to them, and they use them (5.) I would definitely have a shop dedicated to both weaponry and forging, if I was going to do a full fledged Erithian festival.

For that particular shop I got, what I feel, is a good idea. Get the erithian weaponsmith, Sabizki from near Illistim to come up for it. Have him(as an NPC) come early on and say that everyone who is his normal customer is welcome to his services throughout the festival. Normally you have to go to his shop and do a favor for him before he will sell to you. Then he could come back periodically over the festival and unlock erithian weapons(add tgara zests for example) or alter them.

Lastly, I would have a shop for clothing, if only because Erithian clothing is so bloody odd. I played my erithi before they came out with it and never really wanted to change his clothing. I would do mannequines for men and women with the different clothing, that can be found at link 6. If a merchant comes to alter clothing and does Erithian clothing, pleas reference this same link to ensure that acceptable and unacceptable materials are used and not used, as the case may be (6).

One last aspect of Erithian culture that I would want to emphasize, though not in a shop, is Erithi Poetry. I would recommend a lecture based off Kavrajjuri's lecture on poetry. I would then hold a sort of contest. Decipher the meaning of different poems your NPC merchant says and the first to get the meaning closest gets work done. The lecture is not on the official pages, as far as I know, though I do have a saved copy if you would like it.

1 – Erithi Tea Ceremony - http://www.play.net/gs4/info/races/cultures/erithian/tea_ceremony.asp
2 - Gems from Erithian Lands - https://www.play.net/gs4/info/gems/gem11.asp#Erithian
3 - Erithians - http://www.play.net/gs4/info/races/erithians.asp
4 - The People of the Sky – A study of Erithi - http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/erithian_history.asp
5 - The History of the Elanthian Katana and the Order of the Watchful Eye - http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/katana.asp
6 - The Dress of the Erithi - http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/erithi/clothing.asp
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/01/2012 01:45 PM CST
You've certainly put a lot of work and thought into things! I'm impressed.

I can't really find anything I'd disagree with, and it's very disheartening to hear that some of the Mentors are confusing the Aelotoi with the Erithi. That seems to be a rather common occurrence, one that I ran into pretty frequently as I played my own Erithi. Hopefully that can be remedied in the upcoming Mentor event.

If you'd allow, in case any other GMs are watching, perhaps I could make some suggestions to add on.

I would request that there be additional loose agates that are not enhancive, so that they can be worn in the holders without fear of them crumbling. I would also request that among the tea supplies we'll find the tea blends that were sold in the erithian pavilion at CCF. They were unique to CCF and provided different taste messaging for Erithi. I bought a jar of each and I adore them.

Speaking of tea, the Erithi NPC Isienaka gave a lecture on the tea ceremony that I'd be glad to provide if it's needed.

The information on erithian divination can be found in game in the Mist Harbor library. There is a five-volume compilation of racial divination techniques and the Erithi are among them.

I like your idea for Sabizki to make a stop. Our previous guru, Xynwen, had said she was working on coding katas for the Erithi, or formulaic movements used in combat training. An event like this would be perfect to demonstrate some of them, even if we had to use ACTs.

Along the lines of erithian clothing, I might suggest a wide selection using both traditional clothing - using the nouns, proper materials and the like - but also offering erithian-styled clothing in more traditional designs. Including new words or nouns can be a bit daunting, after all, and not everyone would recognize them. Perhaps we could also include some cobbling materials such as woven reed uppers and the yatane pattern that was made available at last year's EG.

Given the erithi love of nature, it would be wonderful to place the festival outside of a town as you suggested. We may also have some outdoor rooms to enjoy nature or have a tea ceremony.

Perhaps we might also have some erithian home furnishings available for sale, such as a mounted atanika or rice paper fan wall hanging, a heron-patterned blue silk rug, an agate-inlaid marble hearth, and so on.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/01/2012 04:58 PM CST
ooo, ooo add the erithi food merchant from the zul race festival
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/01/2012 06:31 PM CST
I've hidden the post that started this thread to preserve the anonymity of the February contest until after the judging is complete and the winners are posted. Sorry about that!

~Just Jainna
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/11/2012 04:42 PM CDT

Yay, post is back. I had fun writing it.
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/11/2012 04:50 PM CDT
Good! Then I can toss in another idea.

At the 2009 EG auction and recently at DMC, pairs of hairsticks that transform into sai have gone out. These hairsticks are hairstylers that have different styles and scripts for erithi. I'd love to see some hairsticks go out that are simply hairsticks, or perhaps retaining the transformation scripts without the higher enchants and mechanical properties that the auction-level versions have. Their creator, Xynwen, stated that she'd wanted to release them outside of auctions, and I have a couple erithi that they'd be perfect for.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: feb premie contest entry 03/28/2012 02:05 AM CDT

A dagger version of the hair sticks would find a loving home with me in plat...

-e