Enchanting humor 01/02/2018 10:02 PM CST
It always makes me laugh when I get a bad enchanting result followed by a "Success!" message. Today I saw a new all time bad on the rolls (twice!) that I had not seen before... the result? Success!

>channel my morn
You channel at a hefty mithril morning-star.
You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/03/2018 09:25 AM CST

>You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!

Err...congrats? :D

I do not see that message listed on the wiki in the Roll Results Descriptions.

Perhaps this is a variation of the 4-9 roll? Were you using the Gift of Eonak?

Askip
Re: Enchanting humor 01/03/2018 09:56 AM CST

>I do not see that message listed on the wiki in the Roll Results Descriptions.

the roll descriptions were set up to match the possible difficulties on the final channel. this is specified in that section:

>The charts below are also based on the final CHANNEL.

the 3% fumble does not apply to the other channels, so for clarity the messaging was kept to where it mattered.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/03/2018 10:52 AM CST

Thanks for the clarification.

:D
Re: Enchanting humor 01/03/2018 02:03 PM CST
It always makes me laugh when I get a bad enchanting result followed by a "Success!" message. Today I saw a new all time bad on the rolls (twice!) that I had not seen before... the result? Success!

>channel my morn
You channel at a hefty mithril morning-star.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Consider yourself lucky that your enchanting skill out-matched that horrible roll. <grin>

~Contemplar~
Re: Enchanting humor 01/07/2018 11:18 AM CST
>> >I do not see that message listed on the wiki in the Roll Results Descriptions.

>> the roll descriptions were set up to match the possible difficulties on the final channel. this is specified in that section:

>> >The charts below are also based on the final CHANNEL.

>> the 3% fumble does not apply to the other channels, so for clarity the messaging was kept to where it mattered.

It turns out that it is possible to receive this result on the final cast without fumbling / failing the project. My example:

>prep 405
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Detection spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast on my leath
You gesture at some sleek black stalking leathers.
The layers of essence permeating the black stalking leathers unfold before you to reveal the familiar patterns of a tempering enchanting project, which you recognize as one of your own. It is currently tempered and ready to be enchanted. It is on the final step of the enchanting process. You recognize the vibrant red aura surrounding it as indicating a weak level of enchantment.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>prep 925
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Enchant Item...
Your spell is ready.
>channel my leath
You channel at some sleek black stalking leathers.

Visible wisps of essence dance across the surface of the black stalking leathers as you chant quietly, your sure gestures guiding them to slowly coalesce into a pair of small softly glowing runic symbols. The two lone runes flicker momentarily, the intensity of their glow increasing as their form sharpens into crisp, clean edges. Suddenly, the symbols erupt in a cascade of tiny prismatic motes of light, encompassing the leathers to form a shimmering layer over its surface. Slowly, the radiant shell sinks into the leathers, leaving behind a faint, fading aura.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/07/2018 12:21 PM CST
Well, that was certainly a bad RNG experience!

So, we're suggesting that might be the enchant verbiage for the 4-9 roll result? And. . . do we know if 4 results in a negative open ended roll or not?

Doug
Re: Enchanting humor 01/07/2018 12:26 PM CST

>And. . . do we know if 4 results in a negative open ended roll or not?

from Contemplar during the wiki page review:

Currently there is no open roll for the enchant attempt.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/07/2018 03:32 PM CST
Thank you, thank you.

Doug
Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 03:06 PM CST
>And. . . do we know if 4 results in a negative open ended roll or not?

from Contemplar during the wiki page review:

Currently there is no open roll for the enchant attempt.

I may have been wrong, but that is not true.

Open rolls are allowed, and thus that is why Robert was able to get that result. I had to double check it myself! His skill as an enchanter had overcome that deficit regardless. Consider yourself lucky the roll wasn't worse!

It means that you rolled really badly, but not at a point where there would be a fumble.

I apologize for the miscommunication on the rolls.

~Contemplar~
Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 03:37 PM CST
And thank you, Contemplar. I was struggling with this, trying to figure it out.

Now, alle ist klar.

Doug
Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 03:46 PM CST
>> Open rolls are allowed, and thus that is why Robert was able to get that result. I had to double check it myself! His skill as an enchanter had overcome that deficit regardless. Consider yourself lucky the roll wasn't worse!

>> It means that you rolled really badly, but not at a point where there would be a fumble.

Am I reading this correctly to mean that a wizard with more skill in enchanting is less likely to receive a fumble (3% failure) result? I had previously assumed that literally there was a separate die roll where if 1-3 on a D100 came up then the project had a failure regardless.

Possibly I am confusing fumble and 3% chance of failure here as well. Is this accurate?

Fumble: If the wizard rolls bad enough on an Open Roll then they can get a bad result regardless of the 3% failure. So more skill would help mitigate bad (negative) open rolls.

3% Failure: A separate / independent roll that is made to determine if a final enchant channel fails. Skill would NOT help mitigate the 3% failure possibility here.

Thanks!

-- Robert

Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 03:56 PM CST

if there is an open roll, how does fumbling work? if you roll a 1-3 does it just automatically fumble, but you can still roll lower (open roll) and have skills come into play to counteract? It was a lot easier to understand 3% on a d100
Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 04:24 PM CST
Is this the last cast of an enchant cycle?

. No - is it open ended (high or low)?
. . . No - add to modifiers and report results.
. . . Yes - roll again (and continue if open ended) then add to modifiers and report results.
. Yes - is it 01-03?
. . . Yes - roll again to determine and report result.
. . . No - is it open ended (high or low)? [jump to top]
. Have a good belly laugh.

Doug
Re: Enchanting humor 01/08/2018 04:26 PM CST
>>Am I reading this correctly to mean that a wizard with more skill in enchanting is less likely to receive a fumble (3% failure) result?

I bet 'no.'

But, it sure did save you from that 04 + 50-ish roll you suffered. ;)

Doug
Re: Enchanting humor 01/09/2018 08:31 AM CST
I took away that it was NOT the 3% chance of failure, but WAS an open(-low) roll.

It wound up only taking him down to (for example) -83 total, and the sum of his Enchanting capabilities took him up to <high enough to succeed anyway>.

However, had the roll continued (roll >=95 to keep the "open" results calculating), it may have wound up in the -127 range, or worse, and then his Enchanting skill would NOT have been sufficient to still have a successful result.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/09/2018 01:46 PM CST
>I took away that it was NOT the 3% chance of failure, but WAS an open(-low) roll.

>It wound up only taking him down to (for example) -83 total, and the sum of his Enchanting capabilities took him up to <high enough to succeed anyway>.

>However, had the roll continued (roll >=95 to keep the "open" results calculating), it may have wound up in the -127 range, or worse, and then his Enchanting skill would NOT have been sufficient to still have a successful result.

That pretty much sums it up. <nod>

~Contemplar~
Re: Enchanting humor 01/09/2018 02:21 PM CST

can you explain in English please?

Are you confirming the 2 separate rolls?
Re: Enchanting humor 01/09/2018 02:25 PM CST
Opinion/projection:
- 3% chance of outright failure is checked for;
- if NOT failed/fumbled, then new d100(open) is rolled (which can be extremely good/>=95/keep rolling, or extremely bad/<=5/keep rolling).

Note that the later rolls are ALL only >=95 to trigger a new one; 1-5 only trigger on the FIRST roll going low.
Re: Enchanting humor 01/09/2018 03:47 PM CST
>can you explain in English please?

>Are you confirming the 2 separate rolls?

Yes. There are 2 separate rolls.

~Contemplar~
Re: Enchanting humor 01/10/2018 10:44 AM CST
>Open rolls are allowed, and thus that is why Robert was able to get that result. I had to double check it myself! His skill as an enchanter had overcome that deficit regardless. Consider yourself lucky the roll wasn't worse!

>It means that you rolled really badly, but not at a point where there would be a fumble.

>I apologize for the miscommunication on the rolls.

>~Contemplar~

My understanding is that enchant failures are limited to the 3% random type for properly trained wizards. If the 925 CAST displays the horribly unlucky messaging then, barring a 3% random failure, the enchant success rate is 100% regardless of the d100 roll messaging (SEE EXAMPLE BELOW)

This is a final cast. The 925 CAST messaging is horribly unlucky but adding 1 coin of encumbrance changes the messaging to barring bad luck . The success rate at this point is 100%. If a negative d100 roll can cause a failure by reducing the roll result to less than +101, the below cast should have failed. It didn't!

>pre 925
>
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Enchant Item...
Your spell is ready.
>chan my dagger
You channel at a dagger.
Visible wisps of essence dance across the surface of the dagger as you chant quietly, your sure gestures guiding them to slowly coalesce into small softly glowing runic symbols. A pair of the runes flickers momentarily, the intensity of their glow increasing as their form sharpens into crisp, clean edges. With a brief shimmer, the symbols sink below the surface of the dagger, leaving behind a faint, fading aura.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

Mark