1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/16/2016 12:16 AM CDT
The interactions between 1120's sympathetic status effect and other spells are frustrating at times. I often use 1120 when fighting bandits and usually do so with a group. If I cast 1120 first, many of my hunting partners' area effect spells (e.g. 410, 435, 518, 1117, etc) do not work like they would expect. I understand that creatures with the sympathetic condition are on "our side", so I get the reasoning for why it works like it does. That said, it would greatly improve my quality of life (especially while group hunting) if this was treated like pretty much any other status effect. I think one factor that makes this more confusing is that even spells that affect non-grouped PCs like 410 don't seem to affect sympathetic creatures.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/16/2016 12:53 AM CDT
Agreed. There's really nothing more frustrating as an empath than firing off 1120 in a swarm the moment before your hunting partner casts Cone or Judgment or ewave or Divine Wrath and making them waste their mana and cast RT. Now that 1117 has been upgraded, I've stopped using Sympathy all together while group hunting with anyone but squares. The benefits of the spell just don't balance with giving them protection against (what feels like) all mass attack spells.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/16/2016 08:42 AM CDT

Also agreed. Now it won't even work with ewave, and it's never played nicely with fury and the other spells mentioned. I have the luxury of having SA so I'll often just use fire spirit instead, but other than 1117 (which is a great spell now, btw, thanks) 1120 is one of the few area effect spells available to us. In fact, pretty much the ONLY time I use it is when hunting in a large group with bandits when fried, and then sympathy is a great way to tag everything without taking health (so others can get their hits in), but not if it means they're going to be glaring at me every time I use it because they just wasted their mana trying to use something else.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/16/2016 01:28 PM CDT
I like the concept of the spell, but I'm never in a situation where it's more beneficial to cast it over either leaving the room or casting something else as it's implemented (esp since 1117 was made open cast). Critters always take way longer to kill each other then I could on my own, it takes me too long to determine which one of several identical critters were not affected that I can swing at, and you can't take advantage of their distraction to disable them so they'll just start swinging at you again after a couple swings at other critters.

I don't see how the proposed solution would help though, unless the bandits are just being tagged for credit on bounty tasks (I refuse to do bandits so I'm not sure of the specifics of how that works). If critters affected by 1120 could be affected by area effect spells, wouldn't your partner's spell just nullify the effects by disabling them until the spell wears off?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/16/2016 07:39 PM CDT

The main benefits of 1120, especially in a group, is not so much that they attack each other (though that IS funny), but that while they are under its effects the don't attack YOU or anyone in your group. Not only does this "tag" them (so you get credit for the bounty), but it also has the benefit of pulling them out of hiding. So it's a great spell to cast the moment bandits pop out, unless of course it keeps the other people in your group from having their spells work - a good example is with fury. Bandits jump out and say, stun someone I'm with, I sympathy to keep the bandits from further attacking them or putting them in more rt, then unstun my partner, then they try to cast fury to kill ALL THE THINGS and poof, they just wasted 35 mana because fury didn't work with sympathy up.

I have had people say that they wouldn't hunt bandits with me if I was going to use sympathy. Which is sad because, kind of like you said, otherwise it's not really that handy of a spell.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/17/2016 09:16 AM CDT
>Bandits jump out and say, stun someone I'm with, I sympathy to keep the bandits from further attacking them or putting them in more rt, then unstun my partner, then they try to cast fury to kill ALL THE THINGS and poof, they just wasted 35 mana because fury didn't work with sympathy up.

I've given up and use 135 or 213/220/130 in situations like those, depending on how badly it's hit the fan.

1117 should pull bandits out of hiding as well, IIRC.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/20/2016 01:21 AM CDT
Sympathy (1120) will no longer cause creatures to be considered a part of the empath's group (in terms of being affected by other AoE spells). :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/20/2016 11:27 AM CDT
Awesome, thank you!
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/20/2016 06:32 PM CDT
Thanks a bunch for taking a look at this, Estild. While this issue wasn't exactly a game breaker, small changes like this can really improve Quality of Life.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/20/2016 09:52 PM CDT
Estild, you continue to rock.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/21/2016 06:07 AM CDT
This is great, except that I think maybe you broke 410. You can't ewave sympathetic creatures any more (although 709 now works).
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/21/2016 03:33 PM CDT
GSTEPHENSON2
This is great, except that I think maybe you broke 410. You can't ewave sympathetic creatures any more (although 709 now works).

There have been no updates to Elemental Wave (410) itself and it still appears to work:

>incant 1120
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Sympathy...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a bighorn sheep.
Closing your eyes and expanding your mind outward, you attempt to instill a sense of sympathy into those within the area...

CS: +581 - TD: +54 + CvA: +25 + d100: +55 == +607
Warding failed!
A bighorn sheep's eyes begin to glow grey-green.

CS: +581 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +10 == +613
Warding failed!
A rolton's eyes begin to glow grey-green.

CS: +581 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +33 == +636
Warding failed!
A giant rat's eyes begin to glow grey-green.

You open your eyes, feeling less focused.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

>incant 410
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Wave...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a bighorn sheep.
A sphere of dark ethereal ripples expands outward from you.
A bighorn sheep is buffeted by the dark ethereal sphere.
A rolton is buffeted by the dark ethereal sphere and is knocked to the ground.
A giant rat is buffeted by the dark ethereal sphere and is knocked to the ground.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 01:55 AM CDT
I tried it tonight. Natures Fury still can not attack while Sympathy is up. (I'm the Ranger)

You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Nature's Fury spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an elven thug.
You close your eyes in a moment of intense concentration, channeling the pure natural power of your surroundings. As you continue to gather the energy, a low thrumming resounds through the area. Suddenly, a multitude of sharp pieces of debris splinter off from underfoot, savagely assailing everything around you!
As swiftly as the chaos came to be, it recedes again into the surroundings.

This is what happened before too.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 01:55 AM CDT
I tried it tonight. Natures Fury still can not attack while Sympathy is up. (I'm the Ranger)

You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Nature's Fury spell...
Your spell is ready.
You close your eyes in a moment of intense concentration, channeling the pure natural power of your surroundings. As you continue to gather the energy, a low thrumming resounds through the area. Suddenly, a multitude of sharp pieces of debris splinter off from underfoot, savagely assailing everything around you!

This is what happened before too.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 01:56 AM CDT
Sympathy still does not work with Natures Fury.

Your spell is ready.

Same as it was before.
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 02:48 PM CDT

Also does not work with mass calm 619:(
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 03:29 PM CDT
GAGEJ4
Sympathy still does not work with Natures Fury.

SHEN1
Also does not work with mass calm 619

It should now work. There was an issue with creatures that are spawned for specific players (bandits, etc).

GameMaster Estild
Re: 1120 (Sympathy) and interactions with other spells 09/23/2016 03:52 PM CDT

awesome thank you

aurach