Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 11:05 AM CDT
Empathic Link just got some love and some bugfixes! First off, a longstanding issue causing a killing blow to not go through the link has been fixed. Second, critters no longer need to be similar in order to be linked to each other!

On to the good stuff: Empathic Link has also been updated to be an open cast spell, targeting up to (3 + (Mental Mana Control Skill Bonus / 50)) targets. For each target beyond the first, the mana cast of the spell will be increased by 5. To help balance this out a little bit, the chance of propagating damage to each linked critter has changed from a guaranteed 100% to 50% base. Also, only the linking empath's damage will travel through an empathic link now.

Mental Lore, Telepathy ranks increase the chance of propagating damage by 2% using a seed 1 summation. (So, at 55 ranks of Mental Lore, Telepathy, there is a 70% chance for each linked critter to take damage).

Mental Lore, Telepathy also gives a (Skill Bonus / 5)% chance to overload your link after you've cast the spell. This will cause electrical damage to one of the targets that was successfully warded, which will then travel through the link for all kinds of mayhem!

~ Konacon
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 11:39 AM CDT

>the chance of propagating damage to each linked critter has changed from a guaranteed 100% to 50% base.

On paper, that's a pretty drastic reduction in effectiveness. It seems like the bug fix was considered part of the love and balanced for.

>For each target beyond the first, the mana cast of the spell will be increased by 5.

So it's 8 + (Creature Level/10) + (5 * # of creatures)?
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 11:46 AM CDT
> On paper, that's a pretty drastic reduction in effectiveness. It seems like the bug fix was considered part of the love and balanced for.

I'm fairly confident the spell will perform will with it being open cast and the other changes. If it doesn't, this number is adjustable.

> So it's 8 + (Creature Level/10) + (5 * # of creatures)?

Sorry, no, my mistake. It's 17 for the one critter, 22 for two, 27 for three, etc.

~ Konacon
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 12:00 PM CDT

>Sorry, no, my mistake. It's 17 for the one critter, 22 for two, 27 for three, etc.

It seems like there is no point in casting Empathic Link unless there are two creatures to create a link between, so automatically the spell really costs 22 mana, any chance on dialing this back 5 mana?
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 12:21 PM CDT
> It seems like there is no point in casting Empathic Link unless there are two creatures to create a link between, so automatically the spell really costs 22 mana, any chance on dialing this back 5 mana?

Sounds like a plan. 17 mana for 2 or less, +5 for each target after that! :)

~ Konacon
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/13/2016 05:21 PM CDT
This + Empathic Assault seems like it could be pretty awesome. I'll try this evening.

(btw, speaking of Empathic Assault, it's got some bug where if you crit-kill on the initial bolt, it'll sometimes not give bounty credit. Not sure why that happens.)

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/14/2016 02:40 PM CDT
Whoa, thanks for making this happen. I've always wanted 1117 to be useful.
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/15/2016 06:27 PM CDT
I like the spell. Haven't gotten enough time to play around with it yet outside of that one hunt I posted on the PC, but I think it fits the missing hole that we've had in our attack repertoire pretty well.

Question: Does it work with damage dealt from wands and other magic items?

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/15/2016 06:32 PM CDT
> Question: Does it work with damage dealt from wands and other magic items?

I believe that it should.

~ Konacon
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/20/2016 03:24 PM CDT
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Empathic Link...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You concentrate on establishing a link between yourself and a giantman rogue.
CS: +503 - TD: +366 + CvA: 0 + d100: +11 == +148
Warding failed!
A faint thread of energy forms between you and a giantman rogue.
You concentrate on establishing a link between yourself and a human thief.
CS: +503 - TD: +359 + CvA: -2 + d100: +10 == +152
Warding failed!
A faint thread of energy forms between you and a human thief.
You concentrate on establishing a link between yourself and an elven rogue.
CS: +503 - TD: +388 + CvA: 0 + d100: +74 == +189
Warding failed!
A faint thread of energy forms between you and an elven rogue.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

>incant 1106
You don't have a prepared spell to release!
J>
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Bone Shatter...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a giantman rogue.
You concentrate intently on a giantman rogue, and a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward him!
CS: +503 - TD: +366 + CvA: 0 + d100: +42 == +179
Warding failed!
The internal skeletal structure of a giantman rogue implodes inward upon itself, leaving behind no support for his body or life. The giantman rogue falls to the ground in a lifeless mass of flesh and fractured bones.
You twinge slightly as your Empathic Link to a giantman rogue fades away.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Is this supposed to happen? from the release notes it said there was a bug. Did I find it?

GBB
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/20/2016 03:47 PM CDT
> Is this supposed to happen? from the release notes it said there was a bug. Did I find it?

The bug was that critical damage wasn't going through if critical damage killed the target, and that bug was fixed. What you're seeing here is intentional. The manipulation lore benefits to 1106 and 1115 won't carry through 1117.

~ Konacon
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/20/2016 10:09 PM CDT
It was a nice try though

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Empathic Link (1117) Updated! 04/21/2016 10:00 AM CDT

I was never expecting a myriad of instant kills, but it does seem to me as a be penalty for getting an instant kill. :( Is there anyway that the others could still get damaged?

GBB