Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/25/2013 11:37 PM CDT
Bone Shatter (1106) has been updated to no longer grant a bonus based upon the caster's Mental Mana Control. The base effectiveness of the spell has been increased to offset this change, but Empaths who previously trained heavily in Mental Mana Control may notice a decrease effectiveness with the spell. All Empaths are being given a new FIXSKILL to adjust their training due to this change.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/25/2013 11:59 PM CDT
Well, that sucks. So, if mental mana control is no longer so useful for the 1106 (the main thing I trained it for), is there a point to keeping it, or can we free up those points for other things?
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 02:41 AM CDT
<So, if mental mana control is no longer so useful for the 1106 (the main thing I trained it for), is there a point to keeping it, or can we free up those points for other things?>

MMC still allows you to regain more mana each pulse, improves the warding margin for the CS cycles from 1110, and increases the number of possible targets for sympathy. If none of those are good enough reasons for you to keep MMC, drop it down to 24 ranks and spend the extra TPs elsewhere.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 08:33 AM CDT
"drop it down to 24 ranks" -- Starchitin

Usually it's Bards I'm talking to (in reference to MC:Mental and Unravel), but I would never choose to stop at just twenty four (24) ranks of any of the Mana Controls.

If you're going to go that far, crank it up to thirty (30) ranks and at least get the extra +1 mana per pulse.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 08:52 AM CDT
<If you're going to go that far, crank it up to thirty (30) ranks and at least get the extra +1 mana per pulse.>

I'm assuming most empaths will have SMC as their primary manna control since it affect so many more spells available to empaths, esp if an empath is stopping short of 1x in MMC.

With MMC as the secondary mana control, it doesn't matter if they stop at 24 or 30 they still won't get the extra +1 to mana. They'd have to go up to 40 ranks for that. The reason I recommended the extra 4 ranks was to maximizing mana sharing with mental mana.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 11:40 AM CDT
>With MMC as the secondary mana control, it doesn't matter if they stop at 24 or 30 they still won't get the extra +1 to mana. They'd have to go up to 40 ranks for that. The reason I recommended the extra 4 ranks was to maximizing mana sharing with mental mana.

Deoends who you share with. Its the combination that counts, not one in isolation. 24 only maximises if everyone you share with has 22 ranks. I'm not sure where mana pulse and multispell benefits would come for empaths, but for every other class training mana controls I'd get 25 if I was going past 20 for those benefits.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 11:50 AM CDT
Hmm... don't know what I'll do with those points then. I hunt exclusively with 1106, and I still seem to be averaging hunts in the 3 minute range, so the change hasn't affected me too badly. I could push my HP up to 261... I could always use more mana. It's funny, he's got 31 million xp and there are still a bunch of hunting related skills that aren't any where close to maxed out, even so he's probably the toughest and most survivable of all my characters.

If I drop the points back on MMC, I'll drop it to 30, I like nice round numbers.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 12:46 PM CDT
Where is all the screaming and crying and yelling? Oh wait this isn't the sorcerer boards after a nerf. Empaths really aren't any fun.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/26/2013 01:14 PM CDT
It seems like a pretty minor nerf overall... and it actually is an improvement for lower level empaths.

Plus sorcerers are just EMO that way. :p

Just saying.

-- Robert
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/27/2013 08:51 AM CDT
You're right, I missed the fact that it was the "other" mana control; didn't even consider MC:Spirit.

I was just responding to the fact that it was A type of Mana Control, where my normal advice is to take it to a multiple of 10.
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/27/2013 10:20 AM CDT
<You're right, I missed the fact that it was the "other" mana control; didn't even consider MC:Spirit.>

Hehehe, you can always tell who's used to playing hybrids and who's not by how they think of MCs.

The best part was I used Krakiipedia to confirm I wasn't nuts before I made that post :P

Starchitin

Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/27/2013 01:54 PM CDT
<MMC still allows you to regain more mana each pulse, improves the warding margin for the CS cycles from 1110, and increases the number of possible targets for sympathy.>

If those things ARE good enough reasons, what's the recommended training in MMC for them?

Thanks!
Kiske's player

'She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/27/2013 02:17 PM CDT
Mental Mana Control also factors into multi-casts for spelling up, MANA PULSE, MANA SPELLUP, and is a factor in the success formula for guild skill training.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Bone Shatter (1106) Update 09/27/2013 02:21 PM CDT
<If those things ARE good enough reasons, what's the recommended training in MMC for them?>

If your goal is for more mana per pulse it depends on if MMC is your primary or secondary MC. If it's yer primary (the mana control you have more ranks in) you'll want a multiple of 10, but if it's your secondary (you have more ranks in SMC) you'll want to have a multiple of 20 when you stop.

If you want a wider warding margin for 1110, I'd 1x in it until you're happy with how much damage the CS cycles are doing.

If you want more targets for Sympathy, decide how many possible targets you want, subtract 6, multiply by 10, then subtract the number of SMC ranks you have.

Starchitin