Landing Graveyard Gate 08/10/2012 08:40 PM CDT

I know I saw this somewhere but I can't find it now. Do empaths have a spell to open the landing graveyard gate? If so, what is it? I sure wish there was a search function in the forums so I don't have to be asking a question that has already been answered.
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 05:23 AM CDT
Sympathy ought to make the goblins push on the gate, but I don't think it does.
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 08:46 AM CDT

Thanks, Rathboner
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 12:39 PM CDT
The gate opens with a number of spells, ranging from 407 to 309 to 1604; I can't think of any empath spell however that can open it. 9 ranks of climbing should do it, you can then climb in and ring back to town.

BTW, I am listening to Ride of the Valkyries prior to going to hunt in OTF.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 12:48 PM CDT
Oh yes oh yes; you can't get any better music to hunt by! Wheeee!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 12:51 PM CDT
The "Apocalypse Now" version, with the helicopters coming in; Oh yeah!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 02:35 PM CDT

It will be a long time for me to get there, if ever. Thanks for the post and good luck in OTF.
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 02:56 PM CDT
Actually, you can get 9 ranks of climbing by level 8; I did this with all my folks (they are all in Voln) in order to access the GY at low levels. You can climb the gate to get in, you just can't climb back out; hence, you need a ring set to town to get back. Note that there are undead in the catecombs under town, so if you are in Voln, you can whack undead and gain favor even at level 1. Hmm, ok, I think you can't join Voln till level 3, but the principle remains the same. There are undead in other places besides the GY.

Also, it is possible to push the GY gate open just with body strength. A giantkin or dwarf or half krol with a good strength bonus can do it alone. Smaller/weaker races may need another friend to help push.

"Good luck" in OTF? Bah, those guys are wimps! They have no chance!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 03:44 PM CDT
OK, getting in by climbing is easy with enough skill; pushing on the gate with only 1 character takes a bit longer to open it. Note however that with inadequate skill, you can in fact get hung up on the spikes on the gate top, and get seriously wounded or even killed when trying to climb up. I recommend at least 8 ranks climbing skill before trying this.

>> go trail

[Graveyard]
The trees part to reveal a trodden dirt path. Along its edges grow scraggly clumps of creeping dirge-vaon vines. The scant leaves on the few sickly trees that support the vines seem to tremble in some unfelt and disquieting breeze. A narrow trail leads southwest.
Obvious paths: none
> go path

[Graveyard]
A massive bronze gate spans the path, blocking the way north. On either side are high stone walls surmounted with jagged rocks. Now green and pitted, the gate is still locked shut by a rusted chain fastened with an ancient padlock. A cast likeness of the goddess Lorminstra, Keeper of the Gates of Oblivion, her Staff of Doom in hand, and a grotesque statue of the Empress Gosaena are the main motifs of the elaborately decorated portal. You also see a dirt path.
Obvious paths: none
> stow r
You put a skull grafted vultite lance in your forest green backpack.
> climb gate
You carefully grab hold of the sharp grill work and begin to work your way up it.
[Graveyard, Top of Gate]
You find yourself hanging from the ornate ironwork of this gate, the top of which consists of rows of sharp iron spikes pointing straight up. You might be able to vault over them, but that is best left to the acrobats.
Obvious paths: down
> jump
With characteristic daring, you decide to vault over the spikes!
With the grace of a swan you swing yourself over the deadly barbs and drop to the other side of the gate.
[Graveyard]
You pause inside the gates to survey the eerie scene. A magnificently crafted granite crypt to the north inspires wonder and loathing. The carvings on the facade are horrific, detailing the onslaughts of the Unlife throughout the chaotic history of Elanthia. A gravel path wraps around the structure, while thorny brambles growing among the tombstones deter you from leaving the paved route. You also see a flashing orange wisp.
Obvious paths: northeast, northwest
>
A flashing orange wisp flits up and away.
> push gate
You dig your feet into the ground and begin to heave against the heavy bronze gate.
>
The gate budges a little more.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
> cman surge
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength.
You feel a fair amount stronger.
>
>
A goblin tramps in!
>
A goblin swings a flail at you!
AS: +46 vs DS: +297 with AvD: +52 + d100 roll: +20 = -179
A clean miss.
>
AS: +46 vs DS: +297 with AvD: +52 + d100 roll: +77 = -122
A clean miss.
>
>
You gracefully avoid the attack!
>
>
You begin to lose touch with your internal sources of strength.
>
You skillfully dodge the attack!
>
>
You barely dodge the attack!
>
>
AS: +46 vs DS: +297 with AvD: +52 + d100 roll: +98 = -101
A clean miss.
> cman surge
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength that are not yet exhausted from your still recent prior attempt.
You feel a fair amount stronger.
>
A goblin screams at another goblin, "Mine, mine, mine!!!" and points at you.

The goblin then takes a large windup with his flail and swings it at the other goblin, cleanly decapitating it. The other goblin's head drops to the ground and rolls up next to you.
The goblin falls to the ground, kicks several times and dies.
>
A foul stench rises up from a slimy goblin head.
>
You get tired and stop pushing to rest a bit.
Roundtime: 13 seconds.
R>
A goblin tramps northeast.
R> push gate
You dig your feet into the ground and begin to heave against the heavy bronze gate.
>
Bits of gore drip from a slimy goblin head.
>
A goblin's carcass collapses into a gooey mess.
>
A goblin tramps in!
>
A slimy goblin head gurgles as the last of the air trapped inside escapes.
>
>
A goblin yells, "Hoolp! Hoolp! Tryoong to kill me!"
A goblin tramps northeast.
>
The dead, unblinking eyes of a slimy goblin head stare up at you.
>
The gate budges a little more. It might give any minute now!
>
A swarm of flies begin to devour the eyes in a slimy goblin head.
> look
[Graveyard]
You pause inside the gates to survey the eerie scene. A magnificently crafted granite crypt to the north inspires wonder and loathing. The carvings on the facade are horrific, detailing the onslaughts of the Unlife throughout the chaotic history of Elanthia. A gravel path wraps around the structure, while thorny brambles growing among the tombstones deter you from leaving the paved route. You also see some light leather, a flail and a slimy goblin head.
Obvious paths: northeast, northwest
> 'ugh!
You exclaim, "Ugh!"
>
The slimy goblin head decays into dust.
> 'disgusting!
You exclaim, "Disgusting!"
>
>
The ancient hinges of the gate creak loudly as they give way. A chain halts the opening of the gate, but there is enough clearance for you to slip through.<<

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/11/2012 03:53 PM CDT
Or, if you have the right spells, you can just do this ...

>> pr 1604
>
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Purify...
Your spell is ready.
>
> cast gate
You gesture at the bronze gate.
Channeling the divine energy of your deity, you direct a prayer toward the bronze gate. With a deep shudder and a shrieking scrape, the gate slowly opens wide enough to allow passage.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)<<

Spells that work include 309 (clerics), 407 (wizards/sorcerers), and 1604 (paladins). A 407 imbed might work, but I have never actually tried this out. Might be worth experimenting with. Note that the success rate of 407 seems level related; higher level casters will succeed more often.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 08:19 AM CDT
I believe you will want a wavable imbed, so that you can wave the item AT the gate; just firing one off into the room (with rub or raise or tap) will probably not work.

There used to be a STRength limitation on pushing the gate: only characters over <some amount, I think it was 95 or higher> in the stat would be able to move the gate solo. Anyone with less, you must have multiple characters to push.

Oh, and you left Bards, Rogues, and Warriors out of the Unlock/407 list.
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 09:57 AM CDT

There used to be a STRength limitation on pushing the gate: only characters over <some amount, I think it was 95 or higher> in the stat would be able to move the gate solo. Anyone with less, you must have multiple characters to push

This is still true, I tried recently pushing with one character with a lower strength stat.
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 03:32 PM CDT
>>Oh, and you left Bards, Rogues, and Warriors out of the Unlock/407 list.<<

Warriors and rogues with 407 are rather uncommon. As for bards ... who cares about bards!

PS; never listen to "Carmina Burana" while hunting OTF; they'll kick your butt while you are singing along. (Alas, yes, I can understand the lyrics, due to a Catholic HS education).

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 03:34 PM CDT
It won't be much help to Empaths, but Force Projection (1207) also opens the Graveyard gate.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 03:35 PM CDT
Although, if you really want to try it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 04:06 PM CDT
<<It won't be much help to Empaths, but Force Projection (1207) also opens the Graveyard gate.>>

That's... incredibly good to know. My monk thanks you.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/13/2012 08:22 PM CDT
Does character size / mass factor at all in the gate opening process?

Doug
Re: Landing Graveyard Gate 08/15/2012 08:31 PM CDT

All of you are awesome! Thanks for all the great replys.

Katisa