Granteham IV, the Has-Been King? 06/30/2018 08:33 PM CDT
Hi, I noticed the wiki was updated to remove reference to King Granteham IV, whose longbow had been featured in Library Aies's Hall of Glory. Though there has never been published history around him, may we get an explanation for why he's been summarily erased from history? Seems like he could have been an interesting figure (and his seniors) to plug the millennia-long gaps in what ends up being the fantastical lives and dynasties of the elves.

Thanks!

---

For our own historical OOC records, here's how it looked on Nov 22, 2002:

[Library Aies, Hall of Glory]
Dark grey granite flecked with deep sapphire blue covers the floor, unembellished save a single silver diamond inlaid in the center of the room. Silvery haon bookcases line the walls, their edges trimmed in thin hammered silver strips. A carved haon longbow is mounted on one wall, a silver plaque beneath it.
Obvious exits: out
>l longbow
As simple as the longbow looks, even the untrained eye can see it was crafted by a master bowyer. The lines are clean and balanced, and the silvery haon has been sanded and polished to a smooth gleam. The grip is worn from many years of use.
>l bookcase
You see nothing unusual.
>l plaque
There appears to be something written on it.
>read pla
In the Common language, it reads:
~~~ The Longbow of King Granteham IV, House Illistim ~~~
Re: Granteham IV, the Has-Been King? 06/30/2018 09:25 PM CDT
Someone was asking me about him as the new King, as he had been added to the list of Mirrors after Myasara on the wiki. They wanted to know if there was a new Mirror. So I did take him off the wiki, for now. I do plan on some sort of documentation... but there is no King in Ta'Illistim so there has to be another reason why he was called "King". The library and Museum are getting an overhaul with new books and displays, so I decided to take him out for now until there is a full display and story for him.

He has not been "erased," just being researched by the loremasters who will be able to present a better biography for all to read and a display for all to see.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Granteham IV, the Has-Been King? 06/30/2018 10:04 PM CDT
Ah, gotcha.

Myasara used to be referred to as a Queen, so where ever male ruler existed eons ago, it would seem logical that he'd be called King in kind.

I'm interested to see what you have in store!
Re: Granteham IV, the Has-Been King? 07/01/2018 09:11 AM CDT
>>He has not been "erased," just being researched by the loremasters who will be able to present a better biography for all to read and a display for all to see.

I love when this sort of stuff happens. It's just like the ambiguities and uncertainties of real life history. It's subject to the powers and influences of the day, the erasures and ostracism-like effects of the past, and the fictions of future fertile imaginations. It's also a reminder that any fact can be tainted by purposeful perspective.

So, yeah, I love it when the histories of Elanthia are ambiguous. It presents the opportunity to role-play "all of the above".

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Granteham IV, the Has-Been King? 07/05/2018 04:18 PM CDT
There are a lot of gaps in the "post-Lanenreat" monarchs for him, partly I'm sure because there would be so many of them with the much shorter reigns. He could even be recent. It's one of those mildly awkward things with limited history, not knowing the monarchs during your character's own life span. Living memory for Elves is so long that it basically covers the last several thousand years. But I would not be able to tell you anything about the one Faendryl monarch who was between Rythwier and Korvath.

- Xorus' player

A robust goblin champion falls to her knees giving off half-terrified squeals.