Masters of Lore 01/07/2015 06:33 AM CST
Is there an established difference between the "First Master of Lore" (Meachreasim, Linsandrych) and "Chief Scholar" (Hiraani)?

I was not around for any events, I just know Myasara bumped Hiraani up a notch 5-ish years ago.

- Xorus' player

The gypsy fortuneteller smiles at you and whispers, "I know many things unseen."

>ask fortuneteller about things unseen

The fortuneteller gives you a strange look.
Re: Masters of Lore 01/08/2015 05:40 AM CST
... because if it is just one of those cases of inconsistency, where "first" is a title in early texts and only an adjective for Linsandrych in later texts, I would suggest retconning it so that the titles are separate functions.

For example, maybe Linsandrych was the "first" to hold the Master of Lore rank, but "First Master of Lore" was not separate from her role as the Argent Mirror. She vanishes, powers begin devolving. The First Master of Lore becomes the title of their chief advisor to the monarch, similar to "Prime Minister" versus Ministers, responsible for calling the internal assemblies of the Masters of Lore and maybe referring individual Masters as special advisors.

The Chief Scholar becomes something like the president of a university system, the head bureaucrat coordinating the Council of Elders. The council would only consult with the royals in the context of a convened meeting. The Masters of Lore are virtually autonomous, so the Chief Scholar wouldn't really have anything to do with them. Lords and Commons. Unless "Chief" means something even more mundane, without any significant power other than the given Loremaster ranks.

- Xorus' player