Vaalor Culture 06/12/2014 10:29 AM CDT
Hi All,

I had a few(many) questions about Vaalor Elves and Elves in general that I couldn't seem to find good answers to in the documentation. I will admit I am not the best at that. I'm hoping to flesh out a backstory for my Vaalor Elves that makes sense and isn't over the top. I have zero knowledge of RL military structure for comparison.

1. If the Vaalor mandatory military service period is 100 years, would most elves serve more once given that they live so long? Would it be reasonable to assume those 100 year stretches are not contiguous? If so, what would happen to rank/position in the interim? At what age to elves typically begin their first 100 years? Are there any documents detailing the airship divisions in actual practice?

2. If playing from a family with a prominent military background, is it too much to assume you'd previously served in an officer position, skipping the entire enlisted structure? If so, is there a comprehensive list of important personnel I should highlight so I don't look like a total fool when I fail to recognize an important officer? I did see the little chart on Krakii and used that to make some highlights, but not sure if it's up to date or all inclusive.

3. What kind of fertility range do elves have? Would it be normal for siblings to be centuries apart in age?

4. Any advice on how to play a 400+ year old character without looking like the village idiot because you're scrambling to absorb lore info would be fantastic. Clunk was kind enough to take my paladin on a tour or Li'Aerion which was wonderful, but in general it's hard to justify sitting down for story-time lessons. Other races in particular.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide!

- Eruya/Erelim
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/12/2014 01:01 PM CDT
I don't have the answers, but good questions!

GM Scribes
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/12/2014 06:53 PM CDT
That is not a good sign!

- Eruya/Erelim
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/12/2014 08:00 PM CDT
I play a Vaalor elf. My opinions are in no way official just my best guesses.

>>1. If the Vaalor mandatory military service period is 100 years, would most elves serve more once given that they live so long? Would it be reasonable to assume those 100 year stretches are not contiguous? If so, what would happen to rank/position in the interim? At what age to elves typically begin their first 100 years? Are there any documents detailing the airship divisions in actual practice?

In terms of the 100 year service I would see it as contiguous. Certainly I would think some may stay more than 100 years to be career military. Since elves have such long lifespans I could see them entering service as early as 30 years old. Maybe earlier.

As far as airships go... we see them from time to time as room messages in Vaalor and Illistim. There is a dock in Vaalor. There is a player owned airship somewhere. So they definitely exist. Very few characters, if any, that I know of have roleplayed involvement with them. So, you have an open book to do something creative.

>>2. If playing from a family with a prominent military background, is it too much to assume you'd previously served in an officer position, skipping the entire enlisted structure? If so, is there a comprehensive list of important personnel I should highlight so I don't look like a total fool when I fail to recognize an important officer? I did see the little chart on Krakii and used that to make some highlights, but not sure if it's up to date or all inclusive.

I would guess that one could say they had been a certain rank but if they are no longer in the Legion that it would not be recognized by current Legionnaires. In terms of current Legionnaires you'll get to know them when you play in Vaalor and can highlight their names accordingly.

>>3. What kind of fertility range do elves have? Would it be normal for siblings to be centuries apart in age?

Good question! I would guess that, yes, siblings can be centuries apart.

>>4. Any advice on how to play a 400+ year old character without looking like the village idiot because you're scrambling to absorb lore info would be fantastic. Clunk was kind enough to take my paladin on a tour or Li'Aerion which was wonderful, but in general it's hard to justify sitting down for story-time lessons. Other races in particular.

Wing it! When I rolled up my Vaalorian he was at 300 years old or so which is described as mature. 400 shouldn't be that much different. I'd imagine it would be much harder to pull off a 600+ year old Vaalorian.

Check out the history and time line docs. That will help you get familiar with legendary Vaalorians and Ta'Vaalor's history.

If I'm way off base on any of this stuff I'm sure someone will come along to correct it. And, welcome to Ta'Vaalor! Look for Nouvard if you need any help or have questions.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/13/2014 06:04 AM CDT
Tsalim, who was one of the first Vaalorians I encountered, role played a retired officer from the airship legions. I suspect some of those room messages were his design when we were able to submit ideals. He always played them as being similar to moder day marines.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/13/2014 09:36 AM CDT
<<That is not a good sign!

Don't fret! It's just there's two other people who are far more qualified than I to answer them or at least offer answers.

I'm not aware of any released documentation that really covers those questions, so it boils down to the guru perspective, of which I'm not. I am interested in the answers, tho!

GM Scribes
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/13/2014 11:24 AM CDT
Not to rock the boat or anything, but what ever happened to that comprehensive Elven document that was supposed to be released years ago?
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/14/2014 07:31 PM CDT
Chad,

>In terms of the 100 year service I would see it as contiguous. Certainly I would think some may stay more than 100 years to be career military. Since elves have such long lifespans I could see them entering service as early as 30 years old. Maybe earlier.

Fair point. If a person were to serve beyond their mandatory 100, you think it would generally be contiguous as well? And not multiple "tours", I guess?

Menos,
>Tsalim, who was one of the first Vaalorians I encountered, role played a retired officer from the airship legions. I suspect some of those room messages were his design when we were able to submit ideals. He always played them as being similar to moder day marines.

Awesome! I think I've read an empath guide or something by him as well. I can read up on the marines to get a feel for the structure and reinforce that notion.

Appreciate the help guys. It's tough to avoid stepping all over established lore if you're not playing a wide eyed 18 year old.

- Eruya/Erelim
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/15/2014 02:57 PM CDT
,Awesome! I think I've read an empath guide or something by him as well. I can read up on the marines to get a feel for the structure and reinforce that notion.

I'd be more than happy to help you with that. I have quite a number of years under my belt. Plus, I'm a huge history buff. You want Marine history or ideas on how things are done just let me know.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/16/2014 10:40 AM CDT
<<Not to rock the boat or anything, but what ever happened to that comprehensive Elven document that was supposed to be released years ago?

Crud, there was supposed to a comprehensive Elven document?

I, er, did start an elf doc, WHICH is still, uh, in drafting stages, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't ever announced nor promoted as comprehensive. Do you recall any details? It's always possible the person behind it left staff and that killed it. KILLED IT DEAD. (Perhaps Naos was working on it?)

GM Scribes
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/16/2014 07:51 PM CDT
>Crud, there was supposed to a comprehensive Elven document?

I vote yes!

Anyway, maybe this is an easier question. Did the airships do anything at all during the Griffin Sword conflict? I read over the summaries on Krakii for that whole event, but it didn't really get into the gritty stuff like that. Also what was specifically the 2nd Battle of Shadowguard?

- Eruya/Erelim
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/16/2014 09:51 PM CDT

>>what was specifically the 2nd Battle of Shadowguard?

Ifn ye runs into Clunk, ask him.

In brief though, Tiope of Vaalor led an effort to re-unite the Elven Empire. Unfortunately, her tool of choice was to re-unite them under the banner of the Sabrar, who were all now undead. She failed, and fell on her own sword at the failing, but turned into a shadow demon that was defeated to end the siege of the Elven Cities.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 08:51 AM CDT
<<Anyway, maybe this is an easier question. Did the airships do anything at all during the Griffin Sword conflict? I read over the summaries on Krakii for that whole event, but it didn't really get into the gritty stuff like that. Also what was specifically the 2nd Battle of Shadowguard?

IS the Krakii updated with regard to the released history of the GSS? It was written by one of the two GMs who ran it: http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/gryphon_sword_war/full.asp

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the airships playing a significant role in the sieges/battles, with the exception of the personal airship of Maluverre Sil'Andruthile, which flew players up to the top of a big ol' nasty to help defeat it and save the city of Ta'Illistim.

GM Scribes
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 12:51 PM CDT
>I, er, did start an elf doc, WHICH is still, uh, in drafting stages, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't ever announced nor promoted as comprehensive. Do you recall any details? It's always possible the person behind it left staff and that killed it. KILLED IT DEAD. (Perhaps Naos was working on it?)

I don't remember who started it... I think it was the Illistim Guru before Naos, and then Naos took it over.
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 01:26 PM CDT
<<I don't remember who started it... I think it was the Illistim Guru before Naos, and then Naos took it over.

I can't speak for what Valyrka has on the plates, but I'm guessing that project may be dead due to the path of littered guru bodies that connects us to its announcement.

GM Scribes
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 02:24 PM CDT
Sorry folks, if this elven document was mentioned that long ago, I am going to pronounce it dead. I did do some research and found no trace in any archives I have access to.

If there are any other documents you would like to see, let me know and I can put them on my idea list for future docs.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 03:38 PM CDT

I'd like to see more detailed documentation on the Elven Nations, like local customs in each city... For example, what should a traveler from Ta'Vaalor expect when he goes to Ta'Ardenai?

You know the Vaalor have guards posted at all their gates, but what about the Loenthra? The Ardenai? We know the Nalfein don't want foreign rabble in their city, as evidenced by the Wavedancer docking in Ta'Nalfein but not letting anyone go ashore.

What kind of things would you see in the Military of Houses Ardenai, Nalfein, and Loenthra? We've seen House Ardenai send troops to Ta'Illistim during the Griffin sword war. The Ardenai watchers were wickedly cool using both a bow and a longsword. We've also seen some weapons and armor sold over the years... A Loenthran dueling rapier, a Loenthran Phalanx shield, a Nalfein ceremonial dagger, a monir-hilted Ardenai warblade, etc etc etc.

But, I'd really love to see more details about House Ashrim... I used to hold a candle light vigil every year commemorating the fall of House Ashrim on my wizard.
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 06:07 PM CDT
Sorry folks, if this elven document was mentioned that long ago, I am going to pronounce it dead. I did do some research and found no trace in any archives I have access to.
If there are any other documents you would like to see, let me know and I can put them on my idea list for future docs.

Is the Faendryl Socio-Political Document going to be moved to QC approved status soon?
Also would like to give a general round of thanks for both the people writing the documents and the people (on the wiki's and on the official) who make them available for easy reading. One thing I learned in my time in DR is that not all games, not even all Simu games, have the same depth of lore documentation to help out as GS does.
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 09:00 PM CDT

As I replied in the dark elven folder, the faendryl document needed extensive changes that have been difficult to do. Another Gm and I are working together to make those changes. It will be released when ready.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/17/2014 09:11 PM CDT
Fair point. If a person were to serve beyond their mandatory 100, you think it would generally be contiguous as well? And not multiple "tours", I guess?
- Eruya/Erelim

I would imagine time off could be taken after mandatory service and then there being a reenlistment option.

But these are questions better answered by our guru Mazreth. You might try asking in the Towns/Ta'Vaalor folder. Also, it is a good folder to read. If you set your Options/Threads Per Page and Threaded Posts Per Page to 10,000 you can go back pretty far in posts.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Vaalor Culture 06/21/2014 12:25 PM CDT

I have read over and offered some corrections to a document that is in the works which covers a few of these questions. Such as: general mandatory military service, noble houses and military service with regards to the legion as well as the reserves. Additionally it covers a few cultural views from Vaalorians on things such as death, marriage (ceremonies) and general social structure. It has been a few months since I reviewed it so I will dig around and see where it is at.

My personal view is that the original mandatory service is contiguous but that any following service could be in "tours" consisting of a minimum of 50 years. Returning soldiers would maintain the rank they held upon retirement. The airships are something that I hope to develop more documentation on in the future but are lower on my priority list right now. There is a ShadowGuard document that has just cleared QC and will be released soon which will further flesh out the events of that historic battle. When creating personal RP, keep in mind that officer in the Legion or Reserves is not an actual obtainable player rank. That does not mean that your parent, grandparent, etc might not have held it though. One other note, women serve just as men do and are considered equals among the Vaalor elves, both socially as well as militarily. In some cases, they are even considered more highly than men but that is for documentation still to come. Hope that helps some.

~Mazreth
Ta'Vaalor Guru
Erithi Guru
Burghal Gnome Guru

"Mother should I trust the Government?"
Melivn exclaims, "SHUN THE NON BELIEVER OF MINIS!"