Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 03:02 AM CST
Hi,

Are there any resources that I can read about Nalfein elves in detail? I am scared to leave the Landing again but will if it will be beneficial.

When I was deciding on a race, my GS friend told me about Nalfein having a language of fans which I was all "Ooh!" about. I haven't learnt much about this yet and do not expect to since my character is still a novice and has a long way to go.

However, I would like to learn more about this race to shape what my character may someday become.

I do not know much in-game lore and honestly, I am terrible at lore stuff. :( But I still want to get some of the tone right.

It seems like elves in general are kind of...err... aloof. I don't think I want to go down that road but I don't want to be overly bubbly if it would seem totally weird on a Nalfein elf. They seem a bit more outgoing than some of the other elf races from what little I read, so it might not be too weird to smile at the races who aren't as awesome as me? :)

Sarika
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 05:10 AM CST

Hmm there wasn't as much documented as I expected.

There is this from the main website
House of Nalfein
(The Elves of Ta'Nalfein)

The line of Zishra Nalfein founded Ta'Nalfein, which has always been a center of Elven politics. The Nalfein are fairly adept at everything, but they have always been the masters of stealth, whether in the field or the council chambers. Their politics are particularly ruthless, as they let little stand between themselves and their desires. The Nalfein are also apt to take up the life of a wandering merchant, traveling the world to trade in both goods and information.

My impression of the Nalfein elves were that they were always calculating. Every gesture, smile or interaction either comes with a side agenda or during the interaction they are watching out for any weakness to turn to their advantage. Even their clothing choices have multiple layers of intent. Everything needs to be functional, efficient, with a touch of flair, yet still be able to conceal all sorts of daggers or other surprises.
They could be as outgoing as you like but my character would be skeptical if your Nalfein was showing what looked to be affection. I'd just assume the affection was feigned and be very suspicious of your intents.

I think there should be a website out there with the fanspeak language and information about the fans themselves but I can't find it at the moment.

You might use http://search.gsiv.net/ and sift through the Nalfein links that pop up.

Lochiven
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 05:18 AM CST
>When I was deciding on a race, my GS friend told me about Nalfein having a language of fans which I was all "Ooh!" about. I haven't learnt much about this yet and do not expect to since my character is still a novice and has a long way to go.
Sarika

Find Lysistrata IG.

-farmer
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 05:43 AM CST
You can basically play a Nalfein however you want. They are generally the rogue stereotype for races, but there isn't a large amount of (official) documentation about them. Generally most of the information you'll find about them is hidden in other Lore documents, such as a little blurb about them in the Sea Elf War. There is very little solid information, again officially, that discusses Nalfein culture or any of that though, so once again it is very open to you pretty much being or RPing as whatever you want.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 07:04 AM CST
ooh. I will try the search feature when I get home. Thank you.

I will definitely look out for Lysistrata. I was sad I missed the fan dancing demo in Jan.

Lots to learn. Doubt that I would play a highborn type who dabbles in politics (o god! I'd have to remember events and people's names. ..no way!) but perhaps more singleminded about getting what she wants in life generally. I am a big text Barbie fan too. Hmm.

Just got to think how to control/incorporate my tendency to be too darn chatty into it all. (as evidenced here)
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 07:53 AM CST
>I am a big text Barbie fan too. Hmm.
SQUISHYSNAIL

I dunno much about Barbies, but I heard that there's an MHO that focuses strictly on Elegance and fashion in Elanthian. Might want to see if you can find a member to talk to.

-farmer
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/04/2012 10:12 AM CST
>I dunno much about Barbies, but I heard that there's an MHO that focuses strictly on Elegance and fashion in Elanthian. Might want to see if you can find a member to talk to.
ISMANO

I was JUST reading through the folder at work this morning. I'll look into it more once my character is earning enough to support herself properly. LOL

Thank you.

-Sarika
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/05/2012 11:34 AM CST
The Nalfein were also the house that the Turamzzyrian Empire went to war with in the First (?) and Second Elven Wars.

There is a surprising amount of lore out there about them, but it can be a pain to track down. There are loresongs, for example, to items that offer information, and as others stated, check out documents that offer information regarding the meaning of things.

GM Scribes
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/05/2012 01:29 PM CST
In hindsight, the first Elven War was against the Nalfein, but when it began, the Turamzzyrian empire thought it was quelling rebel elves in the Wyrdeep Forest. Then a Nalfein messenger was captured leaving the Empire and the Empire began considering it a true war against forces backed/provided by the Nalfein.

Then the old emperor died and the new emperor stopped the campaign... Then another Nalfein was captured leaving the Empire, this time with a message bearing the new Emperor's seal... Then the new emperor was assassinated by one of his own guards!

lol, who needs the soaps when you have the history of the Human empire?

/seo/
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/11/2012 04:09 PM CST
<<lol, who needs the soaps when you have the history of the Human empire?

QFT

GM Scribes
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/13/2012 05:15 PM CST
There is also a sweet battle in the Second Elven where an Imperial Legion got stomped and annihilated as they high-tailed back to the human empire. Fun reading, nice write up on it in the Elanthian Times.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Nalfein Elf Culture 12/16/2012 09:37 PM CST
My Plan to start my Nalfein reading was delayed. Figuring out GS mechanics took me longer to get the hang of and I set aside the RP aspect just so I could learn the game. LOL.

Going to start reading up soon though. thanks for all the tips.