Global ESP 04/28/2014 10:54 AM CDT
The "Death of the Amunet" thread in this category includes some discussion in favor of global ESP. This would provide a needed IC alternative to lnet.

GMs sometimes argue that the culture or "mindset" of the player community needs to be changed to support IC interactions and roleplaying. I agree. But this kind of culture change needs its own support from the GMs and game mechanics.

I do not personally use lnet because it is occasionally toxic and often distracting. I would use a global amunet and I hope some additional consideration will be given to its implementation.
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 11:20 AM CDT
The amulet used to be game-wide, but of course the game used to be a lot smaller (geographically).
Then it got a lot larger (population, and geography), and having discussions audible in the Landing about the invasion going on over on Teras didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.
Likewise with the Broken Lands, what with not even being on the same celestial body.

Nowadays, with the much smaller population that we have returned to, I think it would be feasible to have a global amulet option available again. Getting more militant about enforcing the black/white/other channels would help, too. (All sales, all rescues, and other.)
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 11:25 AM CDT
I tend to lurk on LNet for the occasional important announcement, plea for help etc. and try to ignore the rest of the mess. I would definitely start using the amunet again instead if it were global. I might get a chance to wear my amulet holders then too!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 12:55 PM CDT
I'd be ok with it if there was a global option. My char would not be interested in seeing global chat and would only rather have it local.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 04:46 PM CDT
Global ESP exists within your House (CHE) that you join. So the option is already in place.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 06:25 PM CDT
>Global ESP exists within your House (CHE) that you join. So the option is already in place. (Wyrom)

Then it is not really global ESP. The option to maintain ESP contact with one's House regardless of realm is a separate mechanism. This is not an "option already in place" since it does not provide an IC alternative to lnet or meet new demands created by the game's low population.

I am pushing my usual agenda here by voicing support for an idea that may encourage additional roleplaying in Gemstone. I think there should be as many different mediums for roleplay as possible. I like to roleplay through IC posts on the official forums, I wish the forums were better. I would like to roleplay through letters sent to other characters, I wish we had an IC mail system. I would like to roleplay on the amunet if more people were listening.

The Gemstone staff may disagree with my vision and/or these ideas. They are famously secretive about their own vision for the game and I have no sense of what the prevailing opinion is among the staff in regard to encouraging roleplay. This said, I am sure a few may chime in here and I appreciate their willingness to communicate as always.
Re: Global ESP 04/28/2014 09:18 PM CDT

Silvean,

A tangent to the thread topic but have you any idea of the character limit to the parchments you can write on yourself? Believe these can then be put into envelopes. There are also the gem boxes that can make a hologram of you speaking and only the person you choose can activate, length of message is based on value of the orb gem.
Now, if there were player mail or street urchins to deliver these items I imagine they could be of use.
Re: Global ESP 04/29/2014 04:00 AM CDT
>Global ESP exists within your House (CHE) that you join. So the option is already in place.

In theory an MHO could do it, because they aren't mutually exclusive, but so you really want situations where a player is cut off from the game's thought net because another player won't let them into the MHO that controls it or new players being out in the cold until they can locate the player in game that has control over access?
Re: Global ESP 04/29/2014 10:06 AM CDT
I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. But a CHE should also have a little more meaning than just a locker. I know some people do the group events. I have a number of ideas I'd love to see. I'm just not in charge of those areas, nor do I plan to be. Heh.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Global ESP 04/29/2014 08:08 PM CDT
>But a CHE should also have a little more meaning than just a locker.

They do. Most, if not all have magical workshops, members only areas, etc. I'd be a bit shocked if there were that many left that really touted global net as a big benefit of CHE houses. I could be wrong, but I'm inclined to say there's no more that think it's the thing that makes CHEs special than think a global net in prime would be value added. Admittedly, neither is probably a huge number.

The reality is, to Krakii's point, a lot of decisions were made at the start of GS, modified based on player volume, and need to be reevaluated in today's player base. There was a time when Simu staff said that fixskill/fixstat would never ever be offered again...actually multiple times. both are now readily available through multiple methods...including for RL cash (through SIMU of all things,) which also would have been considered taboo a decade ago. The spell 925 was changed to limit the availability of high enchant (Read: high end) gear...now (pay) merchants routinely churn out gear that was valued in the 100s of millions back when 100s of millions really meant something.

ok, off the soap box and back on topic...much like the change in duration that I requested and received for the amunet some months back (Thanks again for that!)...global amunet won't change the way everyone plays, and agreeably isn't worth a huge time investment by the GMs, but since it exists in plat, the code is there...so the real question is...what's the harm? If it's a matter of CHE perks, let's find them a cheap replacement bauble, especially since most active players are CHE members on most if not all of their characters, if only for locker space anyway. Giving global amunet, doesn't remove the private channels for CHE's.

--Jurp
Re: Global ESP 05/01/2014 11:43 AM CDT
>Global ESP exists within your House (CHE) that you join. So the option is already in place.

Hmm, indeed. For my house which, in total over more than ten years has had like less than 100 people join. Not all of us are in Paupers! If I use WHO HOUSE BEACON it's not rare that it's one person besides me online (excluding my wife, we play at similar times).

But in a less jesting manner, at least I for one am a massive proponent of this.

If you really want to have any idea how badly I want to untune lnet, well go see the post where I told someone I will start blocking one person per day. I need to go log on today and find someone to ban, by the way. But honestly, lnet is THAT bad.

>I tend to lurk on LNet for the occasional important announcement, plea for help etc. and try to ignore the rest of the mess.

I do a lot more than lurk. Sometimes I get right in there.

Please, I hate LNet. Can't you save me? Wow please please please just DO IT.

I can't say this is my number one bane in the game. That's reserved for foraging professional bonuses until they are ever eradicated. This is pretty high up there, though. In game thought net, untune lnet forever, infinite winning.

Honestly, honestly, what is the benefit to NOT have this feature. Any GM reply might kindly address it.

daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Global ESP 05/01/2014 12:17 PM CDT
Oh, also, if the CHE cross-realm is ANY reason, please state it.

I will only speak for myself, as one officer, of one house, but I'd rather have the crystal amulet work everywhere at the expense of feeling special inside.

We could do a more formal inquiry if that's what's needed. But communication channels only work with critical mass. That's what I'm trying to get at here. Besides begging.

BEGGING!

daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Global ESP 05/01/2014 02:46 PM CDT

As a member of a CHE I can definately say a global amunet would be more rewarding to the game as a whole than the CHE system,

moving the global chat back to an in character method and away from LNET would, I think, be good for RP and the game in general. LNET is not good for rp it is good for chatting about things I can't even mention on this forum without getting banned. An in character alternative should be considered, CHE is not that alternative.
Re: Global ESP 06/08/2014 04:10 AM CDT

Just found this old thread, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in for a global amunet.