Prev_page Previous 1
Death of the Amunet 11/15/2013 07:56 PM CST
Out of idle curiosity...does anyone actually still use the amunet?

With the pervasive nature of third party add-ons...I find it harder and harder to find the ambition for the handful of folks that still ever even bother. Is there any reason why crystal amulets weren't tweaked with small statues and the like to take MIU into account? I used to try to at least keep connected, but as a volnite...the only group that doesn't have society access, it simply became too much of a bother to rub my amulet 15-20 times a day with the abysmal duration that still curses the net.

if Voln isn't going to get society access, can we at least get an update on the duration? Sure, they are extremely common in the treasure system, but that isn't the point.

-Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/15/2013 08:55 PM CST
It's sort of an afterthought for most of my characters. I'll use it if I am seeking out specific individuals. Mostly I don't remember because it isn't well used and I get tired of refreshing it. I'd like to see extended duration and the ability to use it across longer distances with some sort of lore training or something. Or even better, just an on/off for wearing and activating it (and leaving it on).

-- Robert
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/15/2013 09:25 PM CST
>I'd like to see extended duration and the ability to use it across longer distances with some sort of lore training or something. Or even better, just an on/off for wearing and activating it (and leaving it on).

I could go for that too...but the system needs some love...ESP 2.0 was a good first run...but it needs more help...and as much as I tend to avoid saying this...it really can't be a big deal from a coding perspective. You already gave us spell durations with spell active. This is clearly a simple and logical next step towards fighting off the add ons...at least for the casual player.

--Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/15/2013 09:30 PM CST
I always have it on. Most times, even in Ta'Vaalor, I'll use it and get responses.

I dislike the idea of having to wear one constantly to be able to use it. As it is now I usually shatter one after my spell ups while waiting for mana to return. It takes up a valuable neck slot.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/15/2013 09:39 PM CST
I use it often.
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 12:34 AM CST
My non-Voln characters are always on the amunet and use it frequently. My Volnies turn it on when needed. I can't tolerate lnet at all. The amunet works just fine for me.
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 12:37 AM CST
Yes. I don't use lich and don't want to.

I also stopped using AIM around 10 years ago but only recently started up an account just for our MHO and the RtCF chat room.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 02:52 PM CST

I always keep the amunet active, but I'd have to thank ;isigils and ;isigns for that. I simply have sign/symbol of thought included as one of the things activated. I'm glad I do always keep it on, there is some chatter on the amunet and if someone needs a rescue or information I'm happy to help. If I had any volners however, I can't say I'd remember to activate.

Lochiven
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 08:01 PM CST
> My Volnies turn it on when needed. I can't tolerate lnet at all. The amunet works just fine for me.
> If I had any volners however, I can't say I'd remember to activate.

So my initial thought was half correct...amunet is not dead...at least not in every town...but the use of the crystal amulet in it's current state is annoying at a minimum.

Seems like a simple fix...if not an oversight from previous fixes. NIR...little help here?

--Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 08:47 PM CST
I can say I would not mind using a very small amount of Voln favor to tap into the general amulet thoughts.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Death of the Amunet 11/16/2013 11:39 PM CST
It's obviously a game breaking thing which would totally destroy balance to have rubs of crystal amulet last 4 hours (or even better, to last until it is rubbed again to turn it off). Additionally coding something like this in would take immense amounts of recoding, rather than just changing a single variable. Thus, it won't happen.

All snide comments aside, I don't see any reason why this could not both easily be done, and not adversely affect game balance.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Death of the Amunet 12/11/2013 05:09 PM CST
I think a global ESP option would prompt a large resurgence in players using it again.

~ Inurtia Ayana Faendryl
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/03/2014 01:25 PM CST
<<I think a global ESP option would prompt a large resurgence in players using it again. - Inurtia>>

Take my comments on this with a grain of salt. I've been a very sporadic player for the past ~10 years.

To your point, I agree, and I think that's part of the reason that LichNet took over as completely as it did. 15 years ago, it made sense to segregate various areas to their own ESP zones just to make the net usable under heavy population loads. The majority of net traffic back then was either zone-specific (need a rescue, can someone spell me up, has anyone seen xxxxxxx) or someone selling something.

The nice thing about LichNet (and I've never used Lich or LN) is that it has conditioned players to be able to communicate with each other regardless of location. So, from a game play perspective, it wouldn't be a foreign concept to have a "global net" as one of the channels (does the net still have channels?) and to be able to send messages to others regardless of their location.

Of course, this all assumes that the chatter/traffic still exists (primarily on LN), and that you want to find a way to move it back to an in-game function.

Geof
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/03/2014 03:51 PM CST
But then you'd have to also be IC, which isn't happening on Lich.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/03/2014 03:56 PM CST

>But then you'd have to also be IC, which isn't happening on Lich.

sure it is, just not the characters you're referring to.
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/03/2014 06:25 PM CST
>But then you'd have to also be IC, which isn't happening on Lich.

True, LNET is effectively a chat room and folks are even chastised for letting IC and OOC bleed together...in either direction, but I think that's all the more reason a IC amunet might be attractive to some.

To be honest though, I'd still be at least temporarily satisfied with an extension to the per rub duration on amunets...or someone (preferably NIR rather than random PC...no offense folks) explaining some reasonable reason why it's so ridiculously short now.

--Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/03/2014 10:37 PM CST
Platinum has global thoughts, and outside a handful of players, it tends to be dead there. Even when there are 30 people in. I think global ESP would be a step in the right direction, but I doubt it will save the current state the amunet is in. Would have to change the mindset of players. Would have to strip 3rd party communication efforts. Would need to create a desire to want to communicate again.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/04/2014 05:17 PM CST
More than likely, if you do something to disable the third party communication tools, new ones will arise. However, if the in-game tool is easy enough to use and has equivalent capabilities (global range, either remove the crystal amulet dependency or make the duration permanent until stopped), then I'm sure there are quite a few people who would use it instead. This wouldn't supplant LichNet for the OOC stuff, but it couldn't be a bad thing to make it easier for the IC stuff to use the in-game tool.

No idea where something like this would fall on the effort/payoff scale, though.

Geof
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/04/2014 05:51 PM CST

One small change that would increase usage slightly would be that if when someone using the amulet thinks to someone who doesn't have it active currently, it could give that person a nagging indication that someone was attempting to communicate with them.

That being said, I manage to keep the thought net active nonstop simply because it is a part of my ;sigils and ;signs which are always active after login. If I was voln, I'd never think to even turn it on.
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/04/2014 06:39 PM CST
<<<No idea where something like this would fall on the effort/payoff scale, though.>>>

I don't believe adding a global channel would be a major undertaking, since they already exist via CHEs and MHOs.

<<<One small change that would increase usage slightly would be that if when someone using the amulet thinks to someone who doesn't have it active currently, it could give that person a nagging indication that someone was attempting to communicate with them.>>>

Great idea. I completely agree, I think this would give ESP new life.

<<<That being said, I manage to keep the thought net active nonstop simply because it is a part of my ;sigils and ;signs which are always active after login. If I was voln, I'd never think to even turn it on.>>>

Yes. My CoL and GoS folks are constantly on the net. My Volnies rarely bother, although they do wear ESP devices (house pins), just in case.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/04/2014 10:52 PM CST
>Yes. My CoL and GoS folks are constantly on the net. My Volnies rarely bother, although they do wear ESP devices (house pins), just in case.

Yup, that's the heart of my issue. I don't pretend Amunet will ever retake third party chats or what have you, but that's really all the more reason to take a few moments to change the duration of the amunet. It's not hard, it's not unbalancing, and maybe a few more people will take the IC opportunity.

not sure what the code is based on currently...if it's flat (as I suspect) change it to 180 minutes or 10,800 seconds, or a third/fourth/lessthantwelfth of either. it could be adapted to the MIU based formula and even that would be an improvement...heck...any change that brings it towards current methodology would be a major improvement. When only PCs under level 3, and voln members have to bother with the actual crystal amulets and 2 other societies can just use society powers it gets rather ridiculous. Sorry, I forgot the roughly 1-7 PCs over level 3 that choose not to join any society..

All that said, I'm still looking for the logic as to why a change like this would be a BAD thing. I'm not normally a 'the coding can't be that hard' guy, but in this case...it really can't. It'd take longer to FIND the code than it would to change it.

--Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/05/2014 10:23 AM CST
I personally use the amulet always and like the global thought idea, assuming by that you mean a channel you can think on that broadcasts globally.

Like this - THINK ON GLOBAL Where are all those deaths happening?

I don't really want to hear Ta'Vaalor calls for rescues when I am in Icemule.

But if I am in Ta'Vaalor I might want to let Mulers know I will be home tomorrow.

So let me throw out an old idea I had.

Make a citizenship channel that is world wide.

There are multiple ways to implement what channel you can access or hear.

You have access to any town's channel where you are eligible for citizenship (you could write your name in their book).
You have access to any town's channel where you have ever had citizenship (you have written your name in their book at some time).
You have access to the citizenship channel of the town where you currently have citizenship.

If multiple channels were implemented you could toggle each one just like the currently existing channels.

So if a player makes the effort they could gain access to each town's channel* and hear all those channel specific thoughts from anywhere. They could also toggle off the EN channels when they where in the West if desired. And easily turn them on to send a thought when needed.

I am no coder but since all these would just be new channels with access based on already existing character data it should be doable.

Just throwing it out there, might be a compromise.

Olgre's pea brain

*Some racial restriction(s) there?
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/05/2014 10:31 AM CST
Once its on it should stay on until deliberately turned off. No expiring on a duration. There's supposed to be a flag that automatically turns it on, but it doesn't work. Most people only turn it on occasionally if at all, but if it stayed on when they turned it on there would be a chance of a critical mass building up again and it actually seeing some use again.
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 12:39 AM CST
>Platinum has global thoughts, and outside a handful of players, it tends to be dead there.

We don't tend to chatter and RP on it, but almost all of us have it on at all times, with few exceptions, and use it regularly, especially in coordinating rescues and whatnot. There are also a lot of private thoughts going around. The babble happens in chat, which is good, since I can turn chat off whenever I want without missing something important in-game. Chat is far too overused during events like EG, but oh well. I still love my global amunet. I always try a "think to" before a ";chat to".

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 12:42 AM CST
And FYI, we don't chatter on LNet either, just in case you felt left out, Wyrom. ;) It's mostly people asking OOC numbery GS stuff, and rarely to everyone.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 08:00 AM CST

>And FYI, we don't chatter on LNet either

at least a few of you do
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 09:23 AM CST
I don't see many people connected to ESP in Platinum, or using private thoughts. I mean, I see it, but it doesn't come close to the number of people in game. I monitor it pretty heavily when I'm around. I am constantly checking tables, out of the way nodes, and ESP. Big Wyrom, always watching!

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 12:31 PM CST
I really do think that if the thought net was made global, a lot more people would use it. At this point, I don't see a point in keeping it regional at all.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 01:39 PM CST

The Droit has spoken, make it so.
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 02:04 PM CST
I really do think that if the thought net was made global, a lot more people would use it. At this point, I don't see a point in keeping it regional at all.
Droit

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. We use it in Ta'Vaalor during invasions. I'd rather not hear all the "noise" from the rest of Elanthia at all times. That would likely have me turning it off rather than using it more.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/07/2014 02:10 PM CST
Could always make a global channel and a regional one.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/08/2014 12:51 AM CST

>>I don't see many people connected to ESP in Platinum, or using private thoughts. I mean, I see it, but it doesn't come close to the number of people in game. I monitor it pretty heavily when I'm around. I am constantly checking tables, out of the way nodes, and ESP. Big Wyrom, always watching!<<

Related note: I heard a reference to someone in Prime accessing the amunet via a House "member's pin." What are these?

-E
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/08/2014 02:49 AM CST
<<<Related note: I heard a reference to someone in Prime accessing the amunet via a House "member's pin." What are these?>>>

CHEs (houses) offer pins their members can wear to identify and communicate with one another. The pins allow their wearers to access the amunet, and also provide one-way teleportation to their CHE home, wherever it may be, once a month.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/08/2014 08:19 PM CST
>I don't see many people connected to ESP in Platinum, or using private thoughts. I mean, I see it, but it doesn't come close to the number of people in game. I monitor it pretty heavily when I'm around. I am constantly checking tables, out of the way nodes, and ESP. Big Wyrom, always watching!

comparing prime and plat is almost like comparing prime now to prime in the 90's.

That said, my initial issue is just as valid in plat as it is in prime...volnites have to rub their amulet a zillion times a day to stay on the net, and they rapidly get tired of the concept.

Consider this...

Would it be a game changer? No
Would it replace LNET? No
Would some people enjoy/appreciate it? YES
Would more people use the thought net? YES
Would it encourage additional IC contact? YES

So Riddle me this Aways Watching One....

What's the harm in implementing global net?
What's the harm in changing the duration of amulet activation in any of the ways mentions?
Is either change hard/time-consuming given that one exists in another instance and the other is either changing a number in code or copy/paste of code from every other spell we use?

I'll buy that it isn't high on the priority list...but you're effectively saying...it isn't used much in plat...so it isn't worth the <xx minutes> it'll take to implement in Prime.

Sorry...not buying that rational. Answer my 3 serious questions, with logical, cost/value, etc arguments...and I'll leave it be...but give me something other than 'the 25-50 active players at any given time in plat don't use it that much,' because that's thin if not completely irrelevant.

The reality is...not every bit of code you write/manipulate will make everyone happy or change the game as we know it. Some people hate invasions and storylines...some avoid merchants...and so on and so on. Don't tell us it's worthless...tell us why it's not worth what it'd take to do or how it'd be unbalancing to gameplay as a whole. I'll take either...but not neither.

--Jurp
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/08/2014 10:37 PM CST

>>What's the harm in implementing global net?

A few people have expressed reasons for not having a global net. Not wanting to hear about corpses in solhaven when you're located in Vaalor and such.

A few suggestions to keep some semblance of seperation while still allowing utility,

1. Allow private thoughts globally but anything thought without a target goes on your default local.
2. Allow the ability to think on another region's thought net, but don't force everyone locally to see other regions. I picture this approach more akin to the empath spell cry for help. If an invasion was to hit landing, you could 'think on icemule general' to request healers, clerics, defenders. I would like to see it also come across as a weak or faint thought. Might just be me but I'd like to be reminded these cities are vastly far apart in some cases.
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/09/2014 12:15 AM CST
I think the simple and obvious solution would be to simply add a Global channel to the existing structure, much like the CHE/MHO channels (that are already global). The mechanics are already there to pick and choose which channels to listen to, and which to tune out. Nothing new needs to be created here.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/09/2014 11:53 AM CST
Before I really go on, I'm just the SGM of 3P and the Platinum Guru. I don't really have much pull on ESP. I just have an opinion based on experience and factual data.

>>comparing prime and plat is almost like comparing prime now to prime in the 90's.

Not entirely. It shows me on a smaller scale what is being used. I'm confident there would be more people using it in Prime. But I don't think it would be as wide spread as you would think. Because I don't think too many people are interested in roleplaying over the ESP channels. I think people would probably prefer some sort of chat.

>>What's the harm in implementing global net?

There isn't harm, but it does take some allure from CHEs in Prime. Global channels exist, and just about everyone joins a house for locker space. So people are already connected, why not use what's there? Why not let your CHEs decisions have more of an impact.

>>What's the harm in changing the duration of amulet activation in any of the ways mentions?

I think an unlimited amulet would take away from our special amulets that exist. But I'm one of the people that wouldn't mind seeing the duration being longer per RUB. I think the duration being low for the society powers is fine. But actual crystal amulets should be longer in my opinion.

>>Is either change hard/time-consuming given that one exists in another instance and the other is either changing a number in code or copy/paste of code from every other spell we use?

It's definitely not that easy. ESP would essentially need to be redone to handle any changes for a new channel. It would also need a lot of approvals.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/09/2014 03:52 PM CST
It's definitely not that easy. ESP would essentially need to be redone to handle any changes for a new channel. It would also need a lot of approvals.

On a completely tangential subject, it has always amazes me how much apparent bureaucracy there is behind the scenes of Gemstone given the size of the game (community and supporting staff). I get that you want some level of approval and oversight but it often appears that this has been taken to a ridiculous level in Gemstone.

-- Robert
Re: Death of the Amunet 01/09/2014 05:01 PM CST
<<<It's definitely not that easy. ESP would essentially need to be redone to handle any changes for a new channel.>>>

I don't believe it would require an ESP overhaul simply to add a new global channel. This has been done many times as new CHE/MHO channels have been added to the system. I don't know for a fact it would be "easy", but I don't think it would be a major undertaking.

<<<It would also need a lot of approvals.>>>

I suspect that's the primary roadblock, along with the point Wyrom raised, which is...

<<<There isn't harm, but it does take some allure from CHEs in Prime. Global channels exist, and just about everyone joins a house for locker space. So people are already connected, why not use what's there? Why not let your CHEs decisions have more of an impact.>>>

This. This occurred to me, as well, which is why I was a bit lukewarm to the idea of a global channel at first. CHEs and MHOs feature global ESP channels for their members. As a founding member of a CHE (Sylvanfair), I've long felt such perks should remain exclusive. As Wyrom pointed out, it's part of the allure of joining, as well as a consequence for your choice.

So I guess you could say I'm on the fence as to whether an open global channel would be a "good thing" or a "bad thing". Maybe it would just be a "thing" without really tipping the scale either way. I don't know, but I can certainly see pros and cons to both sides.

~ Heathyr and friends

Re: Death of the Amunet 01/09/2014 05:11 PM CST
<<<On a completely tangential subject, it has always amazes me how much apparent bureaucracy there is behind the scenes of Gemstone given the size of the game (community and supporting staff). I get that you want some level of approval and oversight but it often appears that this has been taken to a ridiculous level in Gemstone.>>>

I actually appreciate the high level of oversight. I agree that it may sometimes seem ridiculous from the player's perspective, but I also recognize that it has helped preserve game integrity over the course of the game's long life. I don't believe the rich and complex game world of Gemstone could have survived for nearly two decades without it. Every change to the game carries the potential for unforeseen consequences. And if you think it's hard getting something changed, it's nearly impossible to get something changed back once it's done.

~ Heathyr and friends
Prev_page Previous 1