reduced ability to charge items? 09/12/2018 10:53 PM CDT

So quick tested this tonight by getting reads on various items on me. One thing that stood out, is before I could make small statues with messaging indicating over 30 charges being able to be added. I have 100 major ele ranks, 2x MIU, and 2x EMC. Now I get messaging indicating only 26 charges. Was there a reduction in wizard's ability overall to charge items, or is the read system not quite accurate, or is this a possible bug?
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/12/2018 10:56 PM CDT
So quick tested this tonight by getting reads on various items on me. One thing that stood out, is before I could make small statues with messaging indicating over 30 charges being able to be added. I have 100 major ele ranks, 2x MIU, and 2x EMC. Now I get messaging indicating only 26 charges. Was there a reduction in wizard's ability overall to charge items, or is the read system not quite accurate, or is this a possible bug?

Your chances of success haven't changed. The new system is more accurate. The old system used categories of charges (few, several, many, great many) and the great many was a pretty large range.

Viduus
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 08:03 AM CDT

So, with the craft bazaar, a few wizards charged statues for it. Now that this update is live, they are able to see that those statues had 34 charges in them. When they use 405 now, it lists 26 as their max as well.

While the old ranges were large, according to the wiki....

Magic Charges are listed during a loresong on a scale:

1-9 usually tells you the exact number with a sufficiently skilled bard
10-19: quite a few
20-29: several
30+: many
https://gswiki.play.net/Charge_(magic)

so those of us who got many before on our 517 reads, are now getting 26 max. If there was no change to the ability to charge, we should have seen "several" before.

If the intention wasn't to reduce wizards ability to charge items, are we sure there isn't a bug in this system that is either...

(brief pause to test the spell)

As for the actual charge item spell... were the mechanics of it changed? I just tried to charge some small statues to test these changes and see if 26 was indeed the max, or if the messaging was wrong. I was unable to charge anything. I tried statues, gold coins, prisms, blue crystals, I tried rubbing a statue to use a charge to "convert" it to the new system, nothing... Any attempt to add any charges at all were unsuccessful. Note, this is on a capped wizard with 100 major ele ranks, and 2x MIU and EMC.

>
You gesture at a small statue.
You sense that the statue is a magic item that holds the spell "Spirit Guard" with 4 charges.
It is a mage rechargeable item.
You estimate you're skilled enough to push this item to a maximum of 26 charges in a single session.
The statue can take a few more sessions, but is showing signs of wear.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>rub orb
>
You gesture over the pulsating orb while holding a small statue near it.
A strand of pure essence leaps from the orb and onto the statue!
>rub orb
>rub orb
>rub orb

You gesture at a small statue.
You sense that the statue is a magic item that holds the spell "Spirit Guard" with 4 charges.
It is a mage rechargeable item.
You estimate you're skilled enough to push this item to a maximum of 26 charges in a single session.
The statue can take a few more sessions, but is showing signs of wear.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

every item I tested had the same result, it was impossible for me to add a single charge to any items. I'm pretty sure the spell is either broken, or was significantly changed in the mechanics of how it functions.

As it stands, for me at least, this spell is completely broken and I am not able to charge anything under these changes. I strongly suspect bugs in the system.

Any other wizards out there with the same results? Has anyone been able to successfully add a single charge to an item since this update last night?
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 09:26 AM CDT

I just tried a quick charge on a fresh small statue.

405 read 4 charges before

channel 517, it greened, but stated that the operation was a success (so charges should have been added

405 reads 4 charges after

4 Rubs and statue poofed

Love the change, but it does appear to have a bug
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 11:52 AM CDT
1-9 usually tells you the exact number with a sufficiently skilled bard
10-19: quite a few
20-29: several
30+: many

The original messaging for 517 didn't follow the above scale. It went a few (<5), several (5 to 10), fair (10 to 15), bunch (15 to 20), many (20 to 30), great many (30+), and made some assumptions about your mana pool and item integrity.

The current messaging for 405 isn't an absolute (you can push past the stated 26 charges if you want), but will generally keep your item safe.

>>As for the actual charge item spell... were the mechanics of it changed?

The code for 517 was decades old and had some updates to bring it up to current standards. That always opens up the possibility for bugs, but the failure chances, formulas, and core logic all remain the same.

>>As it stands, for me at least, this spell is completely broken and I am not able to charge anything under these changes. I strongly suspect bugs in the system.

It was a bug and has been resolved.

Viduus
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:19 PM CDT
I just tried a quick charge on a fresh small statue.

405 read 4 charges before

channel 517, it greened, but stated that the operation was a success (so charges should have been added

405 reads 4 charges after

4 Rubs and statue poofed

Love the change, but it does appear to have a bug

There was a bug with the success/fail messaging so I've updated the messaging on the channeled version of 517 to provide a little more clarity as to what's going on.

For clarity on how this mechanic works.
-Using this option will always green your item, no matter the results (success/fail)
-It's an all or nothing scenario, you either get 5 charges or 0.
-Failure to have enough mana to add 5 charges will auto-fail and blow your nerves.
-Attempting to add 5 charges to something that pushes it over capacity will auto-fail (so if you have a 40 max charge item that's currently at 38 charges, an attempt to add 5 will just result in fail)
-Mana costs up to 11 times the base cost of a spell. So a 1712 item would cost you 132 mana.
-Standard skill checks apply

Viduus
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:33 PM CDT
>> So a 1712 item would cost you 132 mana.

Um, discord channel, but I just tried this and it cost 360 mana.

Trying it again shows:

Starting mana 394 - Ending mana 22 = 372 expended.

Even accounting for 17 for the spell itself, that's a damn sight more than 132 mana.

Doug
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:42 PM CDT

Yeah, I have 267 when I blew out my nerves trying earlier, but I'm only level 77. Is the 132 with maximum savings from having 303 500s and 202 EMC?
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:50 PM CDT
Um, discord channel, but I just tried this and it cost 360 mana.

Trying it again shows:

Starting mana 394 - Ending mana 22 = 372 expended.

Even accounting for 17 for the spell itself, that's a damn sight more than 132 mana.

Doug

I forgot that I was using a completely maxed mana share wizard when grabbing that value.

>>Yeah, I have 267 when I blew out my nerves trying earlier, but I'm only level 77. Is the 132 with maximum savings from having 303 500s and 202 EMC?

Yeah this. I'll reevaluate how this mechanic works and circle back. It should be substantially more mana expensive than traditional charging, but I want a reasonable amount of predictability involved.

Viduus
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:53 PM CDT
132 Per Charge means 660 Mana is needed

Assuming 450 is the Max practical mana, that means that 8th circle is the utter maximum.

Appreciate that you're taking a reevaluate. I get the intention is "blow all your mana to do this once" but It sounds like it needs a curve.
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 01:57 PM CDT
" -It's an all or nothing scenario, you either get 5 charges or 0." -- Viduus

This is a good clarification; thanks.

But:

" -Using this option will always green your item, no matter the results (success/fail)" -- ibid

together with:

" -Failure to have enough mana to add 5 charges will auto-fail and blow your nerves.
-Attempting to add 5 charges to something that pushes it over capacity will auto-fail (so if you have a 40 max charge item that's currently at 38 charges, an attempt to add 5 will just result in fail)" -- ibid

Could it possibly be done that if either of these two results happens, the item does NOT get greened? Either that, or give the Wizard something that has a 100% accuracy rate to report "This Item Is Too Full"....
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 02:12 PM CDT
>>or give the Wizard something that has a 100% accuracy rate to report "This Item Is Too Full"....

See 405.

Viduus
Re: reduced ability to charge items? 09/13/2018 03:03 PM CDT
> I forgot that I was using a completely maxed mana share wizard when grabbing that value.

Hearing "mana share" instead of EMC brings back memories.

~ Methais