903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 12:40 PM CST
Can someone perhaps explain why water lore will not turn 903 into Minor Cold with water lore? However water lore will turn 518 into Minor Cold? If it has something to do with evoke and fire lore turning it into minor steam, perhaps there is a way to get it to change to minor cold with being attuned to water for 5 mana? I always envisioned my ice mage chucking ice blocks but the current system to use 512 then 903 is mana intensive and unpractical in my opinion.
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 01:17 PM CST
Not to take away from the request at all, but - have you used 907?

Doug
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 01:31 PM CST
I have used 907 and I don't want to be forced to use a ball spell. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why 20 water lore will enable minor cold for 518 but won't allow 903 to do the same as a single target spell. Why is it acceptable for one and not the other?
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 02:56 PM CST
>I have used 907 and I don't want to be forced to use a ball spell. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why 20 water lore will enable minor cold for 518 but won't allow 903 to do the same as a single target spell. Why is it acceptable for one and not the other?

My guess is they don't want us casting a powerful spell like Minor Cold for 3 mana, because it would cause the end of the universe or something.

~ Methais
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 04:56 PM CST
>>I'm just trying to wrap my head around why 20 water lore will enable minor cold for 518 but won't allow 903 to do the same as a single target spell.

Yes, I understand. It isn't the lore design, it's the spell design. I get that really any answer other than 'OK, LET'S DO THIS, GREAT IDEA!' isn't going to get wrapped around. But there it is.

>>they don't want us casting a powerful spell like Minor Cold for 3 mana

It could simply cost more mana, like Minor Steam does already.

Before I wander too far afield, I'll just say - I'd like to see this, too. In general, I'd like to see each of the 'wizard-based arcane' spells available to wizards natively with focused training. King of Elements and all that. I like 518, but. . . let's do more!

I'm not sure I'd peg Minor Cold to Minor Water as it sits today, because - I'm not really a fan of Minor Steam being tagged to Minor Water. But, if Minor Steam were tagged to 906, and cost 4 mana, and then Minor Cold were tagged to Minor Water and cost 7 mana, I think I could live with that. Only other thing is, absent a specifically designed intentional spell (like 518) that is 'open and flexible', I'd make the lore requirements to 'add elements to the elements' more steep.

Say, 40 ranks EL:W to get the Minor Cold, and 40 ranks EL:F to get the Minor Steam. As fer instances. Serenity to accept, conviction to change and all that.

Doug
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 08:53 PM CST
>if Minor Steam were tagged to 906, and cost 4 mana, and then Minor Cold were tagged to Minor Water and cost 7 mana, I think I could live with that.

Yes.

>I'd like to see each of the 'wizard-based arcane' spells available to wizards natively with focused training. King of Elements and all that.

Yes.

>I like 518, but. . . let's do more!

Yes.

>40 ranks EL:W to get the Minor Cold, and 40 ranks EL:F to get the Minor Steam.

No.

~ Methais
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 09:35 PM CST
>if Minor Steam were tagged to 906, and cost 4 mana, and then Minor Cold were tagged to Minor Water and cost 7 mana, I think I could live with that.

I can live with that, that's why I said 5 mana. Just figured that the round up 1707 to 1708 and cut in half, I did the same for 1709. But for 7 mana I'd be fine with that as well.

It's just that 2 of the 3 arcane bolts are able to be casted with the proper lores. The only way to get minor cold is to first use 512 then use 903. So it's essentially 15 mana to cast minor cold but it's 4 for minor steam and 6 for major acid.
Re: 903 and Water Lore 12/28/2017 10:49 PM CST
I agree that wizards should be able to cast minor cold natively or with lore requirements.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: 903 and Water Lore 01/01/2018 01:11 PM CST

>Can someone perhaps explain why water lore will not turn 903 into Minor Cold with water lore? However water lore will turn 518 into Minor Cold? If it has something to do with evoke and fire lore turning it into minor steam, perhaps there is a way to get it to change to minor cold with being attuned to water for 5 mana? I always envisioned my ice mage chucking ice blocks but the current system to use 512 then 903 is mana intensive and unpractical in my opinion.

You're right but the 903/512 combo was released years before the elemental lore review, whoever was responsible for 903/steam 904/major acid changes probably would have added 903 or 907/ minor cold given the choice. It does currently suck for the low level ice mages who want to RP that archetype, I did it by 3x harness power and using 907 which wasn't ideal but I had a hunting partner to fall back on. Evoke 907 to minor cold and set the cost to 5 mana would cater for the lower level ice mages, and the higher level mages who can afford the mana for the 512 shatter combo or have enough lore to make 907 worth casting can use that.
Re: 903 and Water Lore 01/25/2018 06:47 PM CST
I always liked the 907 evoke for Minor Cold idea instead of 903. In the end, it's the same result, so either way would be good, but it would give more options for the water mages out there.

Less likely, I think an interesting option would be to replace 907 (or 908?) with Minor Cold, and then make both the ball spells be lore-driven versions like Minor->Major Acid. There could even be another spell, perhaps something for the earth people. I still think a version of Hurl Boulder that shattered into pointy rock bits would be fun also.
_ _ _
Myasara says, "Raining rocks down on my city was not the best course of action."
Re: 903 and Water Lore 01/30/2018 08:56 PM CST
>Less likely, I think an interesting option would be to replace 907 (or 908?) with Minor Cold, and then make both the ball spells be >lore-driven versions like Minor->Major Acid. There could even be another spell, perhaps something for the earth people. I still >think a version of Hurl Boulder that shattered into pointy rock bits would be fun also.

More options are always better.
Re: 903 and Water Lore 02/05/2018 06:05 PM CST
>and the higher level mages who can afford the mana for the 512 shatter combo

Even at cap with max mana it's still not worth it compared to just about anything else we can do instead. If not for the mana then for the setup time and insane lore requirements to make a shatter guaranteed.

https://gswiki.play.net/Cold_Snap_(512)#Lore_Benefits

>If a target is encased in ice (i.e., failed Cold Snap warding twice) and the caster CHANNELs a bolt that causes a rank 5+ impact (505(?), 510, 1709) critical, there is a (Water Lore skill bonus / 3) chance that the injury location will shatter, completely destroying it and causing 50% of the target's max health in concussion damage.

And then you still need 200 ranks of water lore to have 100% chance for a shatter to happen after all that.

Simu thinks this is balanced.

~ Methais