Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 20
Upcoming Spell Changes 08/26/2015 11:45 PM CDT
Below are some details regarding some of the more significant changes that we're planning with the Elemental Lore Review. This should give wizards a bigger picture of updates to help in their personal assessments. We do welcome your feedback, but I want to remind everyone about the forum policy, which will be strictly enforced.

502: The spell will be redesigned to be a low level warding spell. The primary forte of wizards will always be bolts, but for wizards who like to diversify, this will be a new option to sustain their hunts instead of just relying on a 19 mana warding spell (Immolation).

Haste (506): When the haste effect fades, it leaves the target exhausted and unable to benefit from the spell again for a short period. When self-cast, this exhaustion can be overcome by infusing extra mana into the spell, to the point of the spell doubling in mana cost each time it is recast without letting the cooldown expire (so the first cast would be 6 mana, then 12, 24, 48, etc). Training in Elemental Lore, Earth reduces the 2 minute cooldown by (EL:E skill / 3) seconds. So at 24 ranks (102 skill), it's -34 seconds, at 100 ranks (200 skill), it's -66 seconds, and at 202 ranks (302 skill), it's -100 seconds. When cast on others or through magical items, the cooldown cannot be reduced and cannot be applied to the target until it has expired.

Elemental Focus (513): The spell will no longer lower physical AS.

Rapid Fire (515): While active, Rapid Fire will reduce the castRT of all subsequent spells cast to 1 second and it will no longer automatically re-prepare the same spell. Once the effect ends, there is a short recovery period before the spell can be used again. Training in Elemental Mana Control reduces the 3 minute recovery period by (skill / 2) seconds. So at 102 skill, the recovery duration is 129 seconds, at 202 skill it is 79 seconds, and at 302 skill it is 29 seconds. If the spell is recast during the recovery period, all subsequent spells cast while it's active will cost an additional 5 mana. Training in Elemental Lore, Air has a seed 1 summation (based upon ranks) % chance to reduce the castRT to 0 seconds for any spell cast while Rapid Fire is active. Training in Elemental Lore, Water, has a seed 1 summation (based upon ranks) % chance to not cause the spell to go on cooldown when the effect ends. e.g. the chance for each of these to trigger is 10% at 55 lore ranks, 20% at 210 lore ranks, etc.

Cone of Elements (518): The spell has been renamed, is group friendly only, and now only affects (3 + 1 per 50 Elemental Mana Control skill) targets. It will use the caster's attunement to determine the base element to use when cast, but at 20 ranks of each lore, the wizard can optionally force a certain element to be used. e.g. a Fire attuned Wizard could cast the spell with cold crits if they have 20 ranks of Elemental Lore, Water. Syntax would be "cast water/fire/air/earth/lightning". Water will use Minor Cold (1709), Fire will use Minor Fire (906), Earth will use Hurl Boulder (510), Lightning will use Major Shock (510), and Air will use a new high damage factor bolt with vacuum criticals. The appropriate lore will increase the damage factor of each bolt and any extra effects implemented from the ELR can also potentially trigger for spells like Minor Fire (906).

Immolate (519): The chance to incinerate (instant kill) a target is now calculated as a seed 1 summation of ((lore ranks - 10) / 2), but with a reduced chance for any warding result that is less than 150. The penalty is calculated at 2% per 1 WM. So if had a base 10% chance to incinerate the target, but the warding result was 125, the chance would be reduced to 5%. With 192 lore ranks, the base chance is 13%. Training in Elemental Lore, Fire will now only provide a % chance for one additional crit cycle (in addition to the base 2), determined by (lore ranks / 1.5), so at 100 ranks, you have a 66% chance, at 150 ranks a 100% chance. Both of these revisions match the same setup as Wither (1115). The spell will no longer cause roundtime to a target, except for when players roll around to try to extinguish the immolate effect early. The base critical damage of the spell has been increased across the board, resulting in a spell that matches the lethality of other spells such as Divine Fury (317). Overall, we increased the base effectiveness of the spell and decreases the significant degree of the lore benefit, which should result in the spell being usable by more than just exceptionally trained fire mages. The lore benefit still scales very well to increase the lethality of the spell.

Tremors (909): If a target is knocked down by the spell, they will be subject to a 5% + (Elemental Lore, Earth seed 4 summation) / 2 penalty to their Evade, Block, and Parry chances. In addition, there is now a self cast version, which will allow you POUND your weapon or STOMP on the ground, which will instantly attempt to knock down all non-friendly targets in the room. It will also apply the same EBP penalty to affected targets. This ability has 5 charges and is increasable with additional EL:E ranks (+1 at 20, 50, 90, 140, and 200 lore ranks). It cost 5 mana to use this ability, but that can be reduced by training in Elemental Mana Control (-1 at 75 and -2 at 150 ranks), and has a 10 second cooldown. There is no roundtime or castRT for invoking this ability.

Enchant Item (925): The spell will be updated to provide much more information to the caster, such as their chance of success when CASTing the spell, while CHANNEL would actually attempt the enchant, which would also provide more feedback regarding their luck for the attempt. In addition, tempered items will no longer shatter, but still cannot be used during combat. At 100 ranks of each lore type, a wizard is able to enchant an item with those flaring properties (e.g. a wizard has 100 ranks of Elemental Lore, Water so they can enchant cold flaring weapons). Enchanting such weapons apply a penalty, which can be further mitigated by additional lore training. This requires a alchemy created pre-temper potion. Lastly, training in Elemental Lore, Water will allow a wizard to store trace amounts of mana from each pulse, which can then be infused into their tempering potions to reduce the temper time. (Exact details to be released later, but this bonus will only apply to water mages who actively gain experience each week. For example (these numbers are completely made up), if you had 100 EL:W ranks and were online and gaining experience (through hunting or any other means) for 10 hours during a week, you would be able to reduce your next temper by 20%. The high end (actual numbers) for this benefit cap at around 243 lore ranks with 10 hours online, to receive a 30% reduction.

Time Stop (950): When invoked, all targets (that are not more than 10 levels above the caster) in the room are immediately incapacitated for up to 20 seconds. Any creature that enters the room in the following 20 seconds is also subject to immediate RT, equal to the remaining amount of time left for the effect. While time is stopped, the wizard can prepare an onslaught of spells to be instantly released on targets in the area when the effect ends. Specifically, the wizard can queue up to a set number of spells per target (including themself for open cast spells on themselves, like 912, 410, etc). To do so, the wizard simply prepares and casts the spells at the targets like normal and the spells do not actually fire until the 950 effect ends. Usable while incapacitated (except unconscious) with the STOP TIME command. Limited uses per day, starting at 1 with an additional use unlocked at 50, 125, and 200 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air. * This is the intent; it has some complicated interactions with game mechanics that may change the details some.

As a note, these are not the only changes, or even a majority of them, as we still have a lot of other updates coming out with the Elemental Lore Review.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:09 AM CDT
Is that a typo on the haste lore requirement? Earth lore, not air lore?!?

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:16 AM CDT
Richard/Fjalar
Is that a typo on the haste lore requirement? Earth lore, not air lore?!?

Elemental Lore, Air will increase the magnitude of the haste effect while Elemental Lore, Earth will decrease the cooldown.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:20 AM CDT
Ah, cool. Thanks, the changes look pretty good to me.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:31 AM CDT

Hope that Wizards get more TP's for all these lores they are going to need....as it is it's tough to train a wizard to cap....or are these lores perceived as all post cap goals which makes uncapped wizards less viable......
You also see the Shilarra disk etched with the image of a Vathor
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:49 AM CDT
Thanks, Estild.

502 as a low level warding spell sounds like a decent option to have.

That's a pretty huge nerf to haste. Ouch. I guess we'll have to umm wait and see what else the ELR is bringing to offset this.

Nice change on 513 for warmages.

Rapid fire. Again, ouch. That is a huge nerf. I do like the removal of the re-prep mechanics. But I wish we had been able to retain full up-time at least, given that we can no longer stack the spell. The cost for this spell is quite high now and the effect drastically reduced in power.

Cone of elements. Wow. While the effect is cool, that's a hefty nerf. Will we at least be receiving an attune reset for that one?

Immolate I don't know enough about to say how big a nerf that is. It sounds nice for less fire lore, though.

Enchant item. More information is welcome. It's a shame the other bit is linked to water lore instead of a more general skill like EMC.

Time Stop. Very cool spell! But how does this work if a monster is immune either due to level or other factors? It's pretty expensive and limited in use to have things spoil it with immunity. Depending on your answer, it could really spoil a cool concept.

Overall, my character is taking a huge offensive and defensive nerf with little given back. Time stop is the only addition on the list that adds something I could possibly use without taking something away. The rest are, unfortunately, not appealing to my particular style of hunting. That's discouraging. And I suspect Timestop will be problematic where I hunt due to immunities, so even that could be a complete bust for me. Lucky me, huh?

Waiting and seeing.

~Taverkin
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 12:53 AM CDT
<Overall, my character is taking a huge offensive and defensive nerf with little given back. Time stop is the only addition on the list that adds something I could possibly use without taking something away. The rest are, unfortunately, not appealing to my particular style of hunting. That's discouraging. And I suspect Timestop will be problematic where I hunt due to immunities, so even that could be a complete bust for me. Lucky me, huh?>

Taverkin....I whole heartedly agree with you...right now as things stand I am less than impressed but I will reserve my ire till I hear more...so far what I see and hear I don't like...

You also see the Shilarra disk etched with the image of a Vathor
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 01:33 AM CDT
I'm sorry, but this nerfs warmages into oblivion. Not only do we need to train in one lore to make haste effective, but now two - just to keep it up without a 2 minute downtime! Maybe a way-post-cap warmage could afford the mana and lores to keep haste up on a reasonable basis for huting, but my level 23 warmage has 0 chance. I can only 0.5x lores. The extra +20 AS from 513, while welcome, is inconsequential as it doesn't bring us on par with other semis. I cannot complete a hunt while keeping haste up, let alone use the other disablers (909/410) I need to bring critters' DS in range of my swings.

It's nice that capped mages have some patience to see how the rapid fire/immolation changes play out. But I simply will not invest thousands of dollars and years of play into a warmage just to get him to a chance to see if he can be viable post-cap with absurd lore training.

-1 GS4 account.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 01:49 AM CDT

Estid it looks good to me, as I'm an air lore mage and only use haste for herb eating and other situational uses seems pretty fair that it will cost more mana each cast while on cooldown. I can see why hasting your entire party might be a problem, and the workaround to still do it is to imbed the spell for your buddies.

Rapid Fire with an added cost to use per spells while on cooldown seems pretty fair as well as it encourages not to use the minor shock bolt (I always found this kinda ludicrous, like tickling something to death.) For a fully trained mage the cooldown reduced to 30 seconds seems fair enough, the lore perks kind of meh, but seem to help with the boredom of cast cast cast. IE when the lore benefits proc you cast faster or can use right away. Reminds me of MMO type procs. I'm not fond of the 1 sec rt, but will certainly make me a bit more cautious.

Immolation I haven't used much since 10 years ago so I dunno how much of a nerf to fully trained fire lore mages, but it seems that the goal is to stop the use of one spell constantly, the 415,new 902 spell, along with 906 908 should give more variety to casting. Tremors looks good for war mages.

Enchant looks to have a nice info update.

Cone of Elements YES! looks good to me....

Along with the already released stuff and whats coming besides this I give the dev. team a big thumbs up!

Just an elf about town...
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 01:52 AM CDT
I seriously hope you have something up your sleeve to give back some HUGE love to bolting specs. The way I see it, you've completely destroyed the rapid shock spec, thrown a big nerf at our area effect, hit us hard on mana efficiency, power, speed, defense, and utility. Basically everything about the way I play my character is being fundamentally changed for the worse and you announced not a single thing that gives anything back to a pure bolter. I can't believe what I'm reading.

I'm sure warmages are in shock as well. The lore requirements for haste are completely insane. By the time a war mage can reduce their RT and the cooldown to anything close to a reasonable level, the low ROI for wizard weapon AS will ensure that the party's over. You did give a little bit back to them, at least. And while their spec is probably finished for most players, at least some die-hards could stick with it at the high end and maintain their vision for their characters.

Immolate? I don't know. It's a nerf, but they do get 502 and if I interpret correctly, fire lore is more forgiving so they could branch out into other lores. Unfortunately, nothing listed has any particular synergy with the immolate spec.

So, from 3 specs down to...1 1/2? A strong start, Estild. I am holding out hope for the rest of this, but it just gets worse and worse from my perspective.

~Taverkin
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 01:53 AM CDT
I forgot Time Stop!

Wow!, this has been asked for and looks great! 20 seconds to mess a crowd up and anything that walks in affected until the 20 seconds is up? YEA BABY!

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:03 AM CDT
<I forgot Time Stop!

<Wow!, this has been asked for and looks great! 20 seconds to mess a crowd up and anything that walks in affected until the 20 seconds is up? YEA BABY!

<Just an elf about town...

That's true. Super cool factor there. I'm just concerned about the immunity factor. If I cast this spell it limits my ability to cast spells along with all the monsters in the room and all that enter the room. Those spells are delayed for the duration. But if something isn't affected does it get to just keep attacking me while I'm frozen in time by my own spell? And did I read correctly that the RT is variable? So what happens to the monsters that break out sooner? Do I always have to wait the full 20 seconds until my spells go off?

It sounds really cool, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around how this spell will avoid these shortcomings. The only thing I can figure is that we'd still be able to hit monsters that are unaffected as normal, but that doesn't really make any sense and how would that work for area effect and multi-target spells? It sounds like kinda a mess!

And if it isn't reliable, it really sucks because it's 50 mana per cast and limited to 1 time per day (up to 4 with lore?). Those are pretty heavy restrictions if the spell isn't reliable.

~Taverkin
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:08 AM CDT
Is it going to take 100 ranks of air and 100 ranks of water to enchant lightning gear, or just 50 of each?

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:10 AM CDT
Playing as a pure War-mage (0 spellaim) to over 9 mil exp so far this is going to severely gimp the play style. Being able to infuse extra mana to avoid the cool down period sounds like a good idea until you take into account the mana issues war-mages have presently. Within the last mil exp or so I have finally been able to hunt self-cast if I can keep 919 up, which is very mana expensive, keep in mind our AS still isn't good, (low 400's self-cast) which means I rely on disabling ewave/immolate/sleep and plinking the mob to death with fast swings. Every hunt I rely on 516 currently to keep myself going, which still only gives me maybe a 10-15 minute hunt max duration. with these changes my average hunt time will probably double, if I can even fill my head before I run out of mana/stamina.

yes, I could drop 919 from being up constantly, keep relying on outside spells, spend $$$ to get a higher than 7x weapon, and continue spending millions of silvers on enhancives, while being bound to the bounty system to recharge those enhancives in order to stay somewhat viable and dying significantly more since we still have no maneuver defense, or armor to take the hits we'll be getting while we're in offensive stance stuck in full RT.

Not sure what the rest of ELR, but I do hope more ELR changes are coming, because IMHO warmages are going to have a rough time.

(lol@thought of a warmage without enhancives at cap and a 4x weapon still being viable after ELR when it wasn't viable before ELR)
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:16 AM CDT
Disregarding 919 why are war mages short on mana?

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:19 AM CDT
I do want to sincerely say, thank you for posting these changes prior to the end of Duskruin! I was about to drop a lot of money and time in the sewers to be able to buy a couple of greater flare weapons, so thank for letting me avoid that waste.

(I've have been playing a strange, completely against the recommended builds, TWC warmage for the last couple months since I started GS4 again after 15 years, and have been having tons of fun! It's hard: the training points are scare beyond belief and the lack of mana & AS make even equal level critters tough, but I've been enjoying the challenge and uniqueness (I think) of the build. Easy come, easy go! See you in another 15 years...)
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:20 AM CDT
Yea Tav, we will wait and see how this plays out. I suspect they will have it where you have to use a special command to target critters under Time Stop, but critters that break free or are unaffected will target as normal. So you load up enough spells to kill whatever is stopped and deal with anything else as normal.

Maybe they use some of sanctuary code to put the monsters in or something.

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 02:26 AM CDT
These changes effectively destroy the warmage concept. There will be few, if any, following this path when these take effect. Now, as it happens, my gal is OK; she has had a lot of earth lore for quite some time. But a new warmage, relying on haste, with all lore training going into airlore just for the RT reduction? Forget it. They will be relying on bolts for the entire 2 minute cooldown period. They can do it, mind you, because 513 no longer reduces weapon AS. But why would you bother going to the expense of training in weapon and CM ranks if you can only use your weapon 1/3 of the time you are hunting? Very very VERY poor implementation.

The warmage is dead; funeral services will be held at a time and place to be announced.

I am too disgusted to even feel like adding a tag line.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:33 AM CDT
I think that the idea that a class is viable only if it can be trained sufficiently post cap is absurd and probably why we got into this whole mess. My warmage at level 22 and has 66 mana. He also has 6 air lore ranks (and can afford no more)! That gives me, what, 3 casts of haste? Realistically now, I have to stop hunting every 2 minutes for 2 minutes. This isn't going to change significantly for the next 50 levels, except that maybe I can get a couple of 6 minute hunting periods in between 2 minute rest periods. And this assumes I don't want to cast any 909/410 (let alone other spells).

So this slows down my hunts by a factor of 4 (again not assuming I even want to cast an ewave to be able to hit something). And guess what that does to my buff spell timers? I now run out of my buff spells (assuming a single cast of them before i go hunt) before i can fill my mind. Sure, i could sit there any cast them over and over again until i had 4 hours of each, before going out to hunt once or twice, but it takes my entire mana pool to spell me up once for 30 min of each spell...you do the math about how long it takes to regen the mana and recast to get 4 hours (including the diminishing returns of the spell timer ticking down while waiting for the mana to come back).

There will be no new warmages in GS4. Some may persist post-cap, because they have the training points and the sheer stubbornness to do so, but for us new players (or return players), it's no longer viable or fun.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 02:38 AM CDT
>if you can only use your weapon 1/3 of the time you are hunting?

Seems like warmages would be more likely to pay the extra cost a couple times before each cooldown.

Fyonn's player
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 02:55 AM CDT
>>Seems like warmages would be more likely to pay the extra cost a couple times before each cooldown. <<

You miss the point. Older warmages can do this. I have 320 mana, 24 airlore and a potload of earth lore; I will be able to keep haste up for a long time. Younger mages (anyone under level 40 at least) will not be able to do so. Remember, warmages are reliant on other spells, like e-wave, to set their targets up to be hittable; they aren't just casting haste and nothing else. The mana drain for a younger mage would be excessive.

Oh, and the change to cone of lightning sucks also. Mind you, I have almost never used this spell myself, but the drastic reduction in target number is excessive. I agree, the former ability to hit unlimited targets was quite OP, but my cleric, for example, can paralyze 8 targets with a cast of 316. Might want to push the target limit upward a bit. And not friendly to ungrouped players? Did anyone stop to realize the implications of this? We're going to hear a lot of moaning when this is implemented.

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 02:57 AM CDT
<Disregarding 919 why are war mages short on mana?

Just an elf about town...>

Disablers/GOS/919/506 get expensive, trained in physical skills our Spells are lacking until way post cap so lower CS = no 100% hit rate, sometimes takes 2-3 casts of the effective disable spell vs various mobs for it to stick which can mean an upwards of 40-50 mana per mob.

This of course is going to end up being the same discussion we had with GOS Sigils with the low duration and high mana cost, but I already posted on that in it's respective folder in the past... I am hoping the rationale to this will be different, which was that The spells aren't meant to be up all the time, and are meant to be reaction spells... even though dying if you don't use them is the norm... or the fact this game isn't mechanically built to be Reactive, but ProActive (IE. getting all spells up before you get swung/casted/manuvered)

obviously I don't particularly agree with the direction the game is going with the cooldown/spells cannot be up all the time type changes, and in my opinion is opposite of what makes it fun to play.

Hoping the actual implemented versions are a bit less of a Nerf than it is currently.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 03:02 AM CDT
Yes, Cone of Elements not being friendly is NOT good. That's why meteor swarm, stun cloud, fire cloud, death cloud sucked. Please don't give us a spell that we won't be using...

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 03:15 AM CDT
The problem with War Mages really boils down to the fact that the game was not originally designed with them in mind. Before rune staffs pure casters had to tote weapons and shields for the DS and spells got a soft cap so you could raise DS via guarded stance. Mana was quite hard to come by in the early days and wand begging was quite the norm. Some mages decided that they would forgo the whole wand begging thing and kill things bigger than rats with their weapons. Back in those early days there were no combat maneuvers or guild skills and squares had it a lot rougher than now.

Not really sure how it can be fixed really, how can you expect to be great with a weapon when all the physical skills are so darned expensive, and how can you expect your magic to be very strong when you neglect magical skills? Not easily fixed....

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 03:20 AM CDT
I can understand why rapid fire and immolate are being toned down as too OP. But haste? Seriously, when was the last time that you heard someone say "those weapon swinging mages are just too powerful!" Are M-striking warriors really envious of us? Are ambushing rogues jealous of our ability to kill something with 14 swings of a lance? Do paladins feel inferior when they see our whopping weapon AS?

Still not worthy of a tag line
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 03:31 AM CDT
>>Not really sure how it can be fixed really, how can you expect to be great with a weapon when all the physical skills are so darned expensive, and how can you expect your magic to be very strong when you neglect magical skills?<<

My gal pwns OTF, does OK in Nelemar (that charge maneuver is a killer), but totally avoids the Scatter. That place is a death trap. She's also done reasonably well in invasions. Bolting/immolating wizards are more effective in combat; being a warmage is more about style.

That's why I am surprised that the Devs are trying to exterminate the breed. Of the three wizard subclasses, warmages ae the least efficient in combat.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes ... the death knell for warmages 08/27/2015 03:31 AM CDT
Good points Throgg, maybe they should tie earthlore in such that haste continues as is. I can see that hasting whole groups of people constantly was out of whack, but really not war mages. Quite a bit of the changes to earth lore will be benefits, but not enough to compensate the loss of haste unless there's a few more tricks we aren't aware of yet.

Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 03:55 AM CDT
Well I figure I might as well throw my 2c in as well. We'll start with the good:

502 - Poster boy for useless spells everywhere. Glad to see it go!

513 - I actually asked for this specific change, so it would be crazy to not giving kudos on this one!

518 - The elemental stuff is cool. I don't often fight more than 5 creatures at a time so the downgrade would rarely, if ever, affect me.

909 - The new tremors sounds pretty cool. I like the self-cast edition, sounds very warmagey. The EMC part of that sounds rather pointless but it doesn't hurt anything. The EBP part could be good but I think you have it set way too low. Seed 4 / 2? so checking my chart that is a whopping 4% at 60 ranks. This setup is worse than a straight seed 10, hmmph.
Also, most importantly, I hope there was a plan to add at least a small amount of RT to this spell? Right now monsters instantly stand back up when knocked down by tremors, making it rather useless much of the time.

950 - Sounds cool. It'll be a while before I can cast it but it's neat.

Okay, now to the bad parts.

515 - It seems just plain worse than the current version, I'm not seeing any benefits here. I think you should consider giving a chance at it returning mana based on some lore. (Ie: seed 1 chance at reducing spell cost by 3, making it more advantageous to use higher spells instead of 901) Or a chance at double-casting the spell for free. Some type of benefit to balance out how much worse it's getting.

519 - I like the part about it's base increasing but removing the RT element seems like a huge nerf to the general usefulness. I was hoping it would keep that part so you could use 519 to slow them down and then use 515 to finish them. The % stuff I don't know enough about to comment intelligently.

925 - Enchant, arg. Still can't be used while tempering? Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh. What an easy quality of life fix that would have been for wizards actually enchanting their own things.
The lore thing is cute but 100 fire lore and you can now enchant only fire flaring weapons? Meh. How does ensorcell work again? Oh yeah they can do flaring weapons as soon as they get the spell. No 600mtps required and works on every flare instead of only one. You know what I would want for massive investment like that? The ability to ADD flares.
The last part I actually like (kinda). Being able to reduce enchanting time is something I've really been wanting, but locking it behind water mana is such a kick in the nuts. I really wish this was EMC instead. Give all of us who actually play our wizards a benefit!

506 - Holy frijoles is this ever a gutting of the warmage subclass. I really hope when you earlier referred to numbers you didn't like, this was at the top of your list. 1 min up, 2 minutes down? DOUBLE lore requirements?! Good gods man, did you think warmages had extra tps to throw around? They're barely scraping by as it is with the requirement for Cman stealing every spare point. 100 ranks for -66sec? LOL. Obviously that is cap only, and even then that's a full minute of downtime. How do you expect lower level warmages to afford this earthlore bounty? I hope you have massive AS gains in the works because I don't see how else this is viable at all. And to be clear, by massive I mean like 1 AS for every 2 ranks of earth lore so we can stop training CM and train earth instead. With a change like that, it could end up being ok. With the current pitiful AS this subclass is fubar.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 04:39 AM CDT

<Agreed - having it active for 1 minute, then on cooldown for 1 minute wouldn't work well.

<GameMaster Estild

How did we get from this to 1 minute up, 2 down!?
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 05:24 AM CDT
>>? Right now monsters instantly stand back up when knocked down by tremors, making it rather useless much of the time.<<

I am sort of hating a lot of the proposed spell changes. In defense of tremors, however, I would like to point out that the spell isn't totally useless. It will be good against turtled creatures. A)It continues for a bit, so they can fall down more than once and B)Creatures have to go into offensive stance in order to stand up. This significantly drops the AS of a creature that has turtled on you. Now, call wind can do the same thing, but doesn't always work as far as a knockdown.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 05:26 AM CDT
I would like to make an argument for keeping cone of elements player friendly. There has always been a sort of continuum of mass and multi-attack spells. A sort of balance between effectiveness and ease of use with the total combination of the two favoring pures. On the pure side the spells tend to be mass effect, player friendly, and also effective killers. Individual spells sacrifice on one or two of these but tend to keep the others. As you move over to Semi spells they tend to be multi-target, player unfriendly or they are less effective at killing (like mass calm).

I think switching COE to be both multi-target and player unfriendly while only somewhat increasing the damage puts it too much on par with what a magical semi should be casting and not a pure. COE should be in some way more useable than Menos' 1630 just to keep things in the proper proportion. I also think being player friendly makes sense in conjunction with the spell aiming "aimed" bolts aspect of it as opposed to a wave moving out maneuver attack.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 05:32 AM CDT
>><Agreed - having it active for 1 minute, then on cooldown for 1 minute wouldn't work well.
<GameMaster Estild<<

>>How did we get from this to 1 minute up, 2 down!?<<

It's perfectly clear to me. He meant that 1 up and 1 down wouldn't work well because the downtime wasn't long enough.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 05:40 AM CDT
>>On the pure side the spells tend to be mass effect, player friendly, and also effective killers.<<

Well, just to play Devil's Avocate for a minute, there are some AOE spells that pures cast that are not player friendly. Major e-wave, open implosion, censure, meteor swarm, and the open version of 325 all hit other non-grouped players. However, cone is a flurry of bolts, and as such presumably can be aimed by the casting wizard. OK, maybe if cast by a wizard who had totally not trained in spell aiming it might hit anything in the room, but I doubt such an abortion exists.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 07:13 AM CDT

I hope that the new 502 is as or near as powerful as mana disrupt.

I'd also like to see 518 stay player friendly.

Will anything be happening with Meteor Swarm? this seems like an ideal time.

With Immolate, you compare the setup and lethality to two lower level spells, shouldn't this be adjusted up to match a 19th level spell?

Will there be an adjustment to bolt damage factors?

>The high end (actual numbers) for this benefit cap at around 243 lore ranks with 10 hours online, to receive a 30% reduction.

So wizards wanting the full benefit will have to always have their enhancives active and fill up much of their slots with water lore items. It doesn't quite sit right. Perhaps the example should be something realistic, what is the reduction at 101 and 202 ranks?
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 07:21 AM CDT

Throgg somewhere in the comments above a warmage mentioned he was trained 0 in spell aim...
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 07:52 AM CDT

I'm wondering if there is a plan to change 919, it sorta doesn't get used very much anymore, obviously you could put the duration back, or you could cut it entirely as defensive and make it offensive or utility. I did however have an idea.

What if it could absorb or deflect elemental damage? Based on lore, the concept being when a fireball is cast at a wizard his wizard shield could deflect the fireball to another target in the room (jedi like). With enough lore a portion of the energy of the spell could be absorbed as a mana return to the wizard. I would make it percentage based on lore, two different seeds, one for absorption (less often) one for deflection (more often). Then of course each lore mattering for its specific element.

This could also work as an addition to 430 or as a component of 450.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 07:58 AM CDT

>Time Stop (950): When invoked, all targets (that are not more than 10 levels above the caster) in the room are immediately incapacitated for up to 20 seconds. Any creature that enters the room in the following 20 seconds is also subject to immediate RT, equal to the remaining amount of time left for the effect. While time is stopped, the wizard can prepare an onslaught of spells to be instantly released on targets in the area when the effect ends. Specifically, the wizard can queue up to a set number of spells per target (including themself for open cast spells on themselves, like 912, 410, etc). To do so, the wizard simply prepares and casts the spells at the targets like normal and the spells do not actually fire until the 950 effect ends. Usable while incapacitated (except unconscious) with the STOP TIME command. Limited uses per day, starting at 1 with an additional use unlocked at 50, 125, and 200 ranks of Elemental Lore, Air. * This is the intent; it has some complicated interactions with game mechanics that may change the details some.

That sounds like a great 50th level spell. 350, 1150 and now this, are very well designed. But I don't envy the person who has to code this with all those little automated things that are going to need their own custom exceptions. Ithzir fading is the first one I can think of.

If I could put time in a bottle....
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 08:31 AM CDT
>>>Time Stop (950): When invoked, all targets (that are not more than 10 levels above the caster) in the room are immediately incapacitated for up to 20 seconds<<

The key words here are "up to". This implies that the period of incapacitation could well be less ... like 5 seconds, perhaps. What elements factor into determining this time frame?
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes 08/27/2015 08:33 AM CDT

Disclaimer - My only wizard is an enchanting pocket wizard, so I don't really have a horse in this race.

Estild - You should really reconsider the Haste changes. I'm sure I'm not alone in my love of abusing Haste imbeds. However, I recognize that if there's one thing that's broken about Haste it's letting non-wizards have it up 100% of the time, whether that's by use of imbeds or by having a wizard cast it on other characters in the field. With that in mind, the modifications you suggest seem acceptable for Haste when cast on another character and when cast from a magic item. The modifications make cooldown reduction a distant post-cap goal for anyone using imbeds and would make the training requirements and mana usage for wizards casting Haste on others comparable to, if not more onerous than, the current requirements for group cast Bravery and Heroism. If you're serious about warmages remaining viable, I think self cast Haste by characters with knowledge of the spell needs to remain unchanged. Even with hundreds of millions of silver worth of equipment warmages are a novelty/niche build at cap. If there's a game-breaking warmage build out there, I'm sure I don't know what it is.

Beyond that, it seems like the direction you're going in is to encourage wizards to cast higher mana cost bolts which makes sense to me. It always seemed odd to me that Rapid Fire Minor Shock was regarded as the most efficient bolting build. But you need to make the buffs to bolting more obvious. You mention a new higher DF air bolt. You allude to new lore bonuses for Minor Fire and other bolts. But you're painfully short on specifics. I think wizards would be less put off by the changes to Rapid Fire if they knew what was happening on the flip side to make the higher mana cost bolts more attractive.

That's about all my limited knowledge of wizardry allows me to comment on intelligently except to say that 950 seems cool. Also, if you want to troll everyone you should make the new 502 like the old 702.
Re: Upcoming Spell Changes (Haste Specific) 08/27/2015 08:47 AM CDT
<<
Haste (506): When the haste effect fades, it leaves the target exhausted and unable to benefit from the spell again for a short period. When self-cast, this exhaustion can be overcome by infusing extra mana into the spell, to the point of the spell doubling in mana cost each time it is recast without letting the cooldown expire (so the first cast would be 6 mana, then 12, 24, 48, etc). Training in Elemental Lore, Earth reduces the 2 minute cooldown by (EL:E skill / 3) seconds. So at 24 ranks (102 skill), it's -34 seconds, at 100 ranks (200 skill), it's -66 seconds, and at 202 ranks (302 skill), it's -100 seconds. When cast on others or through magical items, the cooldown cannot be reduced and cannot be applied to the target until it has expired
>>
<<
Elemental Lore, Air will increase the magnitude of the haste effect while Elemental Lore, Earth will decrease the cooldown.

GameMaster Estild
>>

I don't even know where to begin with this. You did exactly what you said you weren't going to do. You said 1 minute on, 1 minute off wouldn't work (For a Warmage), and made it even worse with a 2 minute cooldown? Is the duration going to be increased beyond 1 minute? I suggest a 5 minute duration to compensate for the MASSIVE NERF that this cooldown is.

Also, how does Earth Lore reduce time? Isn't AIR LORE the time lore? How does this make sense at all?

No clue how I'm going to get the points to actually train off this massive nerf. Looks like I'll become a pocket enchanter. Exactly what I didn't want. Exactly what you said you force us into.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 20