<Character> gestures. 11/06/2017 01:44 PM CST

<Character> gestures while calling upon the lesser spirits for aid...
<Character> gestures.
<Character> suddenly looks more powerful.

So, something that has always bothered me is the second "<Character> gestures." messaging.

It also shows up as duplicate messaging with some of the default spell messages.

I wonder if it's necessary to show at all?

I'd like to propose that the messaging be removed or possibly a flag setting to turn it on and off.
Re: <Character> gestures. 11/06/2017 02:12 PM CST
I believe the first line is the prep, which is different for each <Realm? List?> and can even be modified nowadays with off-the-rack wording or custom.

The second line is the actual casting of the spell; since it was being done as self-cast, there is no more information on that line (like "... at Krakii." or "... at a lesser orc.").

The third line is the spell effect.

I think the caster can do away with the middle line if s/he uses 'incant 202', but that's an issue of "what s/he generates" rather than "what you get sent".
Re: <Character> gestures. 11/06/2017 03:02 PM CST
Well, in a lot of cases a spell prep wouldn't make sense to me without a gesture. Take these three preps shown in third person:

Leafiara calls upon the spirits of chaos to come to her aid and to empower her spell.
Leafiara murmurs a calming phrase...
Motes of silvery light sparkle across Leafiara's skin, twinkling like stars, as she prepares a spell...

Those first two preps are completely verbal, but she can't cast them without arms and the only reason that makes sense to me is because of the gesture. The third one would be even worse to me because it ends with her preparing a spell and then normally the gesture is the signal that she's casting it--without that step, it would jump from preparing to suddenly happening out of nowhere.

It's true the gesture can seem redundant with some default messaging or even preps (116 jumps to mind) and I do think more care could be taken with them, but I think it would be even worse to have the option to get rid of it.
Re: <Character> gestures. 11/06/2017 03:36 PM CST
>The second line is the actual casting of the spell; since it was being done as self-cast, there is no more information on that line (like "... at Krakii." or "... at a lesser orc.").

It also tells you the method. "gesture" means it was cast, but it would be different if it was channelled, (and probably evoked, but I don't think I've ever evoked a spell)
Re: <Character> gestures. 11/15/2017 01:51 PM CST
<Character> gestures while calling upon the lesser spirits for aid...
<Character> gestures.
<Character> suddenly looks more powerful.

>I'd like to propose that the messaging be removed or possibly a flag setting to turn it on and off.

It might be easier to squelch the line break between lines 2 & 3. I'm sure someone has found a script to do that by now. Thus:

<Character> gestures. <Character> suddenly looks more powerful.