Armor Hinderance 05/14/2016 10:28 PM CDT
Can we change the spell hinderance so there is none for up to double leathers for all 4 pure classes? Or are we still saying spiritual spells are easier to cast?

That 2-4% doesn't sound like a lot but it sure feels like it happens a lot.

Character formerly known as Drauz
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/16/2016 07:09 AM CDT
As my main is a sorcerer, of course I appreciate what you're getting at. Still, I have to ask, "Why?"

If the hindrance is annoying, wear robes or light leather or full leather. If you want more protection, you suffer more hindrance.

Although there's nothing wrong with this question, what's the rationale here. If a sorcerer deserves no hindrance in double leathers, maybe a cleric deserves no hindrance in a leather breastplate.
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 09:34 PM CDT
I'm curious what people think of adding hindrance % to cast RT and making outright spell hindrance/failure less frequent. Couple this with updating armored fluidity/casting so it removes, say, 2% hindrance per rank instead of 10% failure rate. It seems like people who train a lot in armor could cast in it but it'd be clumsy and slow. The idea needs some work for squares in plate who cast spells like 410 but it'd encourage pures to train more in armor and rely on others who can offer them the armor specialization. It might also be a serious contender against armor support.

Again, maybe not needed but it seems like an interesting twist.
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 09:37 PM CDT
Actually, it could add to spell prep time instead of cast RT - say, if you have 6% hindrance you have a 6 sec prep time.
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 09:40 PM CDT
To make sure I am understanding your suggestion... are you saying that someone with a 10% spell failure to cast a spell would have their RT increased 10% of the time but it would be fine the other 90% of the time or something else?

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 09:40 PM CDT
Actually I like this idea even more. Take away the % chance to failure but add to cast RT, I don't want to go back to prep times. Give casters something to shoot for post cap.

Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 09:56 PM CDT
>To make sure I am understanding your suggestion... are you saying that someone with a 10% spell failure to cast a spell would have their RT increased 10% of the time but it would be fine the other 90% of the time or something else?

Cast RT (or prep time) would always increase a number of seconds equal to the spell failure %, but actually losing a spell would be much less frequent. Armor specialization would reduce the spell failure %, so if you had a modified spell failure % of 0 you would have no additional RT. The reason I suggested prep time instead of cast RT is I don't think you can attack or perform maneuvers during cast RT. Prep time, as far as I can remember, is just a countdown. It'd still encourage people to stay within their training but it'd add a choice. Most players, I think, would prefer not to raise the round/prep time.
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 10:03 PM CDT
As a wizard that wears doubles (4% base spell failure), having my RT always increase sounds like a terrible idea. I'd much rather have my spells fail 4% of the time (which is effectively making it take 6 seconds to cast a spell 4% of the time and 3 seconds the rest of the time - yes I know I can get multiple failures in a row).

As a paladin that wears plate having my RT increase by up to ~20 seconds (picked a number somewhere close to spell failure pct in plate) is unacceptable.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 10:15 PM CDT
>As a wizard that wears doubles (4% base spell failure), having my RT always increase sounds like a terrible idea. I'd much rather have my spells fail 4% of the time (which is effectively making it take 6 seconds to cast a spell 4% of the time and 3 seconds the rest of the time - yes I know I can get multiple failures in a row).
>
>As a paladin that wears plate having my RT increase by up to ~20 seconds (picked a number somewhere close to spell failure pct in plate) is unacceptable.

In this scenario your wizard could get someone with 2 or more ranks fluidity (the paladin, or any other paladin trained in it) to adjust the armor and remove the failure chance completely. I agree the percents for plate throw the idea off, even for paladins who have lower thresholds and several effects to mitigate it. I think the only way it'd really work is to lower the failure %s for plate armors somewhat, or make the numbers independent of each other.
Re: Armor Hinderance 05/17/2016 10:25 PM CDT
There is a lot to work out but I like the idea behind it.