The Chrism spell system 04/13/2015 09:57 AM CDT
We all know how chrisms work. They're a beautiful and extremely helpful thing.

And only clerics can create them.

And only clerics can use them. Nobody else can use a chrism on another player.

Is there any POSSIBLE way, that this can be reviewed? Clerics being the sole creator of Chrisms, I completely understand and support. But with a population this small, there are maybe a dozen random clerics on at any given time, and many other people who die, and want a raise, and want a chrism, and have to wait for a cleric to use it. Paladins, players with Raise Dead scrolls, the Raise Dead staves(staff?), and several more items and abilities that can get a person back up and on their feet. And we've got bodies who are complaining there are no clerics around to raise them, not because they demand cleric-y goodness, but because they have a chrism in their chrism holder and want it used.

I'd type a whole giant page about this, but it's pretty straightforward. Can this be reviewed and changed so that Clerics remain the sole creators of chrisms, but people can use them? Please please consider this. When people die in the middle of the night and there's no cleric available, just a random doink paladin like myself, it is a really disheartening thing to hear, "Yeah. I guess I'll take your rez. Since there's no cleric around that can chrism me."

Thanks for reading.
Re: The Chrism spell system 04/13/2015 12:42 PM CDT
Chrisms were specifically designed so that players would prefer to be resurrected by a Cleric, and not just be a service. With the proliferation of the other methods of resurrection, Clerics were losing a significant niche of their profession. I can understand the concern about the lack of Clerics, but if anything, this just promotes more players to play one, as I did when I originally created my character.

GameMaster Estild
Re: The Chrism spell system 04/14/2015 03:09 AM CDT
I definitely stand behind Estild on this one (and I haven't had a cleric since 1997).

I ever brought up the idea of paladins being able to apply chrisms, but this was inserted with a bout of criticisms and improvements for the old Divine Word. The overhaul for that spell nicely addressed several of the issues with Divine Word, and I think there's no reason paladins need chrisms.

The actual issue at hand (if it isn't "we need more clerics") is if something is available people will expect it. People really should not expect chrism raises, even if they have one in a chrism holder. People in River's Rest seem to have not gone too far with this folly, and are usually happy to be resurrected in any form at all which doesn't involve decaying.

If someone insists to sit on the ground waiting for a cleric with a chrism, it's certainly their prerogative but it isn't a game design issue IMHO.

The Order of Voln definitely helps alleviate a lot of the death's sting aspects which a chrism might assist with. And Divine Word allows you to go out and get fried again.

I would personally like to see that raising dead bodies with scrolls, etc, gave the caster any experience, though.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: The Chrism spell system 08/17/2015 08:05 PM CDT

A long time ago there was such a shortage of Clerics that they were able to get a lot more experience. I don't remember the exact info on how it worked, but at first it was insane how much experience they could get. I think this was well before the DE-ICE....
Just an elf about town...
Re: The Chrism spell system 08/17/2015 10:23 PM CDT
Raising someone above 2nd level was basically worth about 350 field experience, which always went into your unabsorbed bucket. (Like an Adventurer Guild bounty, nowadays.)

Since some of the AOL folks were putting anything from 20s to 40s into their AURa stats--so they had only 2 or 3 or 4 spirit--and someone with 50 cleric spells lost only 1/4 of the targets spirit... it was an experience point BUFFET, let me tell you. Since clerics could also meditate in order to absorb experience faster, this got to be just silly.

In todays numbers, 5000 experience in an hour doesn't sound like that much. (Because people are used to Adventurer Guild bounties, and XXX.) But that used to be an exceptional rate of accumulation.
I think the example that I posted at one point--Krakii was in the high 30's, as I recall, hunting horses up in Shadow Valley--was one evening when a bunch of people got killed for some silly reason (maybe a firestorm trap in TSC?) and many of them had those low spirit numbers. After a bunch of raises and 20 minutes of meditating, I was at +6000 experience, and still "completely saturated".

6000 absorbed, in 20 minutes. (Again, long before XXX. No RPA multiplier running. Just really big absorption pulses, of a couple hundred points each, and the meditation extra pulses.)

I think it was Sagan's player who made a point about experience accumulation. He pointed out that you didn't have to level (at that time, by checking into the Inn), so he kept running messages and making iron with his 1st level character, a cleric. When he finally DID check in, he came out, meditated, and absorbed something like 3000 points per pulse. (Remember that 1-5 levels used to be 10k each; 2-10 were 20k each.) He went from 1st to 10th level/150000 experience in less than an hour, most of the absorption coming from meditate.
Re: The Chrism spell system 08/18/2015 06:05 PM CDT
My first character that accomplished much was a North Gate raising cleric circa 1997.

I'm not sure if there was a major "shortage" of clerics. Lots of us hung out there to raise, because it was the only location for 130 before that spell was nerfed.

Even when it was going into your bucket, it's always been quite a lot of experience. I'm not sure when the level-comparison part was added.

The main thing I recall that would be different from now is MEDITATE. We'd 213 the room inside the North Gate, permanently have Manna and Heroism running, rotate dead bodies brought by dragging or fogging, and pile on the experience.

My cleric got from level 12 to level 30 or so this way.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p