Level 0 spells... 03/31/2015 02:35 AM CDT
So I for one was taken quite back by the release of Arcane Blast. Such a genius idea! The GM team has been doing lots of stuff lately. My jaw would drop but it hasn't even recoiled yet from previous stuff.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but how about other level 0 spells? ("No, that can of worms was open when I got here!") I was thinking for professional-circles only, so that each semi or pure gets ONE sort of cantrip. This could be used for a bit of laughs or to patch up some little minor details with the professions and circles where no slots existed, or there was no real point in burning a real spell slot on some minor boon.

For 700, I'm thinking...ODEIR'COS. I realize that wouldn't be great for low-level players, but I'm just spitballing. Something of the sort was suggested for 405, and if the powers that be wouldn't approve it for 405 maybe costing zero mana is out of the question. Even so, it's the first kind of "cantrip" that came to mind for sorcerers. Something pretty simple, which has no possibility to cause an imbalance, and would just be nice to have.

In fact, if the goal was helping specifically low-level characters, as well as insisting it cannot create any balance issue, then probably this slot would be wasted since most of us would eventually never touch it. So I was thinking since Arcane Blast was targeted to very low level characters, this one could be a little fancier (just a touch).

My intent is not at all to insist that by some "equalizing" effect such a change is necessary. I'm also reluctant to ask GMs for even more work when so much great work is being done. However, I was inspired by this release and figured there's no harm in starting a tangential idea.

My reasoning to insist it is only in professional-base circles has several lines of reasoning. 1) Squares don't get spells. 2) All non-squares get exactly one spell 3) If it's professional-based, we don't need two classes debating over Major Spiritual.

I have a total of three characters this could potentially effect, but I'm not thinking immediately what 1600 or 900 could be.

I would expect, naturally, that the basic principles of Arcane Blast apply (no Rapid Fire, Haste, Imbed, blah blah blah). I don't think stance should factor in here ("one spell").

I don't think offensive or defensive spells or any disabling is right for these slots. Just you know, that little fluff you wanted for the class which might nicely fit in here.

Ideas please!

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Level 0 spells... 03/31/2015 08:12 AM CDT
I love your enthusiasm Daid but I think the level 0 spell is best left only to the Arcane spell list. By placing it in a list that no one can train and then just making it a essentially a baseline skill for pures we have avoided the cry of "why does X have a level 0 spell and not Y, my spell list isn't complete." 1700 was an elegant solution to a complex problem that is way better than any solution the rest of us offered imo. However, I think any other problems we have can be better handled with higher level spells, guild abilities or skill gated abilities. Just my two cents.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun... Yeah the opposite of what Daid said!

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Level 0 spells... 03/31/2015 08:34 AM CDT
I agree that 1700 was a very clever and useful solution.

I figured it was worth probing to see if this concept can be used anywhere else, though frankly as you see I thought of almost nothing to do with it. Even for the odeir'cos situation (which is mainly just the annoyance of swapping physical runestones that's tedious between each unlock wave), tossing it into 405 for sorcerers that know 714 is as good or a better solution than 700.

I agree the rate of implementation with different 00 spells could lead to imbalance or complaints about spell circles that aren't finished or whatever. I doubt it would cause that much of a ripple though. If wizards got left out in the first round, will they be regretting the absence of a 900 cantrip or still staring at 502 scratching their heads?

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Level 0 spells... 03/31/2015 09:34 AM CDT
I think if, as an example, 300 were implemented and wizard were still staring at 502 scratching their heads there might be some griping. We already have holes in the existing spell lists to fill. I just don't think we need to create new holes.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Level 0 spells... 03/31/2015 09:58 AM CDT
I wouldn't expect any other level 0 spells anytime soon, if ever. Arcane Blast (1700) was an exception, based upon a definite need for low level casters. That's not to say other cantrips couldn't be developed down the road, but I doubt they would be level 0 spells.

GameMaster Estild