740 Planar Shift Changes 02/09/2016 05:11 PM CST
Crossposting with the thread discussing the chronomage changes.

Obviously you are going to be reviewing spells, as you say, well here are my ideas for 740, which ever was only a chronomage coupon, and is even more diminished now.

1. Get rid of two types of chalk. One type only. The cost for using this spell is obtaining 40 spell ranks, spending 40 mana, carrying a book, carrying chalk, drawing a circle, having the lore, and being the only pure to have two less powerful by definition minor circles. We don't need to buy expensive chalk.

2. Allow it to go anywhere, I mean anywhere. The scatter, nelemar, otf, various other blocked rooms found in hunting areas around the land. allow travel to mist harbor if you're premium with it. Don't allow it to bypass certain merchant areas, or entry into areas that are instanced (warcamps, etc) where there is a technical hurdle. But otherwise, if it is a hunting area, any room in which critters can spawn, allow 740 to access it. It is PLANAR shift, it should be able to go places other cannot. The only place I can think of where it shouldn't be allowed to go is a deed room, a locker room, a jail cell, and a merchant stall/backroom closed by the merchant. The heart of the rift, the top of the reach, the summoning chamber in the Sheruvian Monastery, the 2nd floor of Nelemar, the OTF cottage, the AI crystal room, every public magical workshop, cavernhold, all should be accessible with PLANAR shift. Or get rid of it and put something more unique in 740.

3. Self cast with no circle have it transport the sorcerer to a planar guild. Like a regular guild, just more exclusive. You could include sorcerer only demonic plane hunting outside the gates as a later addition, but the prime draw of this is an always accessible sorcerer meeting place and hangout. We need our own safe plotting space, planar guilds are excellent for plotting, it is known.
Re: 740 Planar Shift Changes 02/09/2016 07:33 PM CST
I looked at some other 40th level spells (540 and 340) while thinking this over. I also considered the post on the other forum pointing out that Planar Shift (740) will retain the advantage of being able to transport a group and that of keeping one book rather than multiple gold rings.

A level 40 profession base spell should be valuable. I think the suggestions above are measured and worth considering.
Re: 740 Planar Shift Changes 03/20/2016 11:09 AM CDT

I agree with all of this. In particular the point about allowing it to go anywhere.