Balefire Request 09/15/2015 03:26 PM CDT
The Problem: Sorcerers currently lack a high mana warding-based spell which does direct damage to a single non-magical target. Dark Catalyst works well on magical creatures, but is specifically designed not to function effectively for creatures lacking large mana pools.

The Solution: Balefire could be used as a single target warding-based spell, filling the gap between Disintegrate and Dark Catalyst as a high cost, high damage option.

Functionality: The spell would follow the same general rules as Mana Disrupt. It could be channelled for extra power, and benefit from stance and open hands. It would use the plasma crit tables, and would still allow for additional damage via Minor Demons, but only for the single target. The % chance of the demon providing additional damage to the spell would be dependant upon the sorcerer's training in Demonology. The formula would be Demonology skill / 4.

Further rationalization: This spell would also help to bring balance to Demonology vs Necromancy lore by encouraging mid to high level sorcerers to train in Demonology without the dependence upon a bolt spell.
Re: Balefire Request 09/15/2015 09:09 PM CDT
I really like this idea, maybe make it similar to 415 in that you get damage then a disruption or plasma? damage flare. Then if you have a demon out have it function very similar to the bolt version.

Drauz
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 12:14 AM CDT
<<Dark Catalyst works well on magical creatures, but is specifically designed not to function effectively for creatures lacking large mana pools.>>

I remember back in the day telling Romulus that the magic lore had essence being the foundation of all physical things, and that since construct kinds of creatures exist only because of magic, they should be that much more vulnerable to spells that tear at the fabric of their being. I guess he lost the argument with Warden.

- Xorus' player
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 12:28 AM CDT
Romulus was a bit before my time. I do miss Nilven and Strathspey though.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 09:31 AM CDT
>> The Problem: Sorcerers currently lack a high mana warding-based spell which does direct damage to a single non-magical target. Dark Catalyst works well on magical creatures, but is specifically designed not to function effectively for creatures lacking large mana pools.

I realize that Pain lacks the ability to get a one hit kill, but it does fill this need, from what I can tell. The objections would be that it takes more mana (33 or 44) in order to get a sure kill, and more time (9-12 seconds). I realize that it may not be exactly in line with what you're outlining, but from what I've seen on mine sorc, Pain is a really solid "Can kill anything with reasonable safety" spell, especially with the stunlock effect.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 12:54 PM CDT
Pain can do that, given that you're able to achieve a high enough endroll, have a target that is susceptible to the spell, and are willing to extend a minimum of 33 mana and 9 seconds cast time.

Not ideal.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 01:04 PM CDT

All classes are not supposed to be equally good against all enemy types.

Sorcerers are extremely well suited to fighting magical opponents with abilities like 703 and DC. If they are slightly weaker against armored, physical foes, perhaps that's by design.

Similar to how ambushers are weak against non-corporeal.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 01:07 PM CDT

Also 9 seconds is not a particularly long kill time. 2 swings, 3 bolt spells, hide + ambush, all take a comparable amount of time.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 01:28 PM CDT
The guy championing the class the specializing in sustainable 0-1 second cast/swing RT is saying other profession's kill times are just fine. Got it.

The concept of spending more mana for better results, albeit with diminishing returns is built into pretty much all pure classes and spell lists. CMANs often operate in the same fashion. This spell fits that paradigm. If the devs wish to move away from that manner of development, so be it, but that isn't the trend i've been seeing of late.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 01:52 PM CDT
>>The guy championing the class the specializing in sustainable 0-1 second cast/swing RT is saying other profession's kill times are just fine. Got it.

Not that that has any bearing on this discussion, but I haven't defended 0RT casting times once. I've never used a RF build and couldn't in good conscience say whether they're OP or not. Once it's moved to 1sec RT I will be surprised if you can 901 a creature in less than 9 seconds.

Also not wanting my warmage destroyed is not the same thing as asking for buffs. Generally for a buff, you should probably make a case?

So far the argument you've presented is pain isn't good enough? Plenty of people seem to think it's pretty darn good considering it has excellent disabling properties and can kill the creature in a guaranteed number of casts. It doesn't seem significantly worse than, say, 910/510 for killing speed and power.

Is 705 too weak to reliably kill creatures in a reasonable amount of time? If 713 was a warding spell, what damage profile to you see it using? Presumably it would still be based on WM to do damage, how is that an improvement on pain?

Saying that all creatures should be as easily dispatched as your prime targets doesn't strike me as a particularly persuasive. <shrug>

I'm willing to hear more.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 02:00 PM CDT
Dragging this discussion to a more productive area, there is a problem here that I am trying to address while working to modify an existing spell to fill a needed role. This is necessary because sorcerer spells lack the ability to scale with level beyond a certain point.

There is a missing element to sorcery that exists in various forms across all other pure classes. The ability to activate a mode which enables more powerful casting for a short time for a large amount of mana. I'm speaking about Rapid Fire and Spirit Slayer. These two spells cover the other 3 pure professions. Sorcerers are clearly the odd ones out. Obviously, the power of Rapid Fire should not be the target of such a sorcerer spell, but something resembling Spirit Slayer shouldn't be out of the question.

These ideas have been put forward in the past. The issue boils down to spell slots. We can't put an enhanced casting mode into a minor circle, as it would be either unbalancing, redundant, or overpowered. All that remains is 750. I honestly think that Major Summoning has been dreamed about by sorcerers for so long that GMs are leery of attempting to code something which would satisfy the class without being overpowered or overly complex.

If we had a spell which enhanced the power of our lesser spells for added mana, 702 or 705 could both be used to fill the gap in our arsenal. Until then, however, a mid level warding spell would fill the role. I think Balefire best fits.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 02:15 PM CDT

I still don't understand in what way you expect a 713 warding-version to out-perform pain. Will it consistently kill in less than 3 casts? That would probably make it the best warding spell at the level. Certainly way better than 915, 415, 512, 514, 312. Maybe comparable to 1115 which is the current efficiency leader in that cost-range?

Making 702/705 relevant at higher levels (if they aren't, currently) is something I can get behind. I think channeling/bolting is trying to aid in that goal, I can't say with any personal experience whether that is successful.

Sorcerers already have a ton of damaging warding spells, I guess I just don't see the need for more.

((Also, if you want to spend more mana to kill something quick, implosion seems like the obvious go-to solution. It has no preference for mana-based creatures that I'm aware of.))
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 02:20 PM CDT
So you agree that we do lack an option available to all other pure classes, but your argument is that sorcerers don't need it. Yet I should continue to try to convince you of the need of something else I think sorcerers lack, but you think we don't. That sounds like a lot of fun, but i'll pass.

On the plus side, i'm feeling less bad about those wizard nerfs by the minute. I'll count that as a win.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 03:03 PM CDT

Uh... what? Not sure how you got that from my post at all but I'm happy to let the thread die. I wasn't really trying to give you a hard time, but to understand if your argument had actual merit (as it seemed a little soft to me). If you traded 713 for any of those spells listed save 1115, you'd be losing in the trade so I'm not sure what you're on about.

You asked for a mid-tier CS damage spell. Someone mentioned pain. You said, "yeah but we need to get a good WM for that". How would warding-713 be any different? I guess we'll never know.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 10:28 PM CDT
The point is that at no point is pain less than 33 mana to kill, never. It works but what I think he is asking for is something with a chance to at least crit kill. With a max warding pain does 35% of a targets max health with zero critical damage. It does great damage and is great for things that can't be crit killed, but is mana intensive to kill with. That doesn't mean that a warded version of 713 wouldn't be mana intensive but it could have the chance to kill with less than half the mana as well while still doing similar damage.

It is also in part that Balefire is one of the only demonology attack spells we have, besides Torment... If you don't want to use a bolt spell then you pretty much better have necro lore (for combat purposes). A warding version would help to make demonology more on par with necromancy, even though necromancy currently effects some of our best combat spells in the game as well as Ensorcell.

Drauz
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 11:01 PM CDT
>A warding version would help to make demonology more on par with necromancy, even though necromancy currently effects some of our best combat spells in the game as well as Ensorcell.

And Sacrifice. And rot flares.

It's also worth noting that Balefire is the only spell drawing a combat ability out of our minor demons; it would be nice to have access to those demon flares without being forced to bolt. At the same time, I think Disintegrate (705) is consistently underrated. I use it all the time and find it highly effective in situations where you get an extra damage cycle: undead and stunned critters.

On a side note, did they remove disintegrate's ability to completely vaporize a target? I can't recall what happened with that.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 11:13 PM CDT
You can still trigger the effect, but it will actually leave a corpse at the end of the messaging, so as not to penalize the spell with potential gear loss. It is an EXCEEDINGLY rare effect.
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 11:32 PM CDT
Well you could always use 415.

<attempts to outrun the implosion>
Re: Balefire Request 09/16/2015 11:34 PM CDT
<<It's also worth noting that Balefire is the only spell drawing a combat ability out of our minor demons; it would be nice to have access to those demon flares without being forced to bolt. At the same time, I think Disintegrate (705) is consistently underrated. I use it all the time and find it highly effective in situations where you get an extra damage cycle: undead and stunned critters.>>

I think 705 is underrated because 702 is really a god like spell for the mana cost. I routinely do 50-120 hp in a single cast all for the cost of 2 mana. It can crit kill, does a ton of damage, and has a low mana cost. That pretty much everything you look for in a good spell. 705 CAN do much more damage but the damage cycles seem so erratic even on high end rolls (sometimes the third cycles will do 15 and sometimes it does 80-90).

Demonology is just not strong enough. It really only adds a chance for a demon to flare on 713, success with 740, extra lbs to phase, and chance for 712 to flare (unless you are with a single creature or have teleport as the flare, you are boned already). There is little advantage to having more than 50 ranks of demonology. I haven't bothered to summon a demon in years, its just a hassle plain and simple. I am a master of illusions and I still don't want to summon one just on the off chance I forget to reapply the illusion and get a huge fine ( I am usually in Ta'Illistim). I really wish there was some way to just make the illusion stay up as long as the particular demon was summoned (and not wear off when in combat, not even sure if it does this). I just want the hassles taken out and just let me have fun.

I have no ideas as to what spells could be bolstered by demonology though, but it should be at least one warding spell. I'll leave that to more creative people.

Alkire
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 08:40 AM CDT
>Demon hassles

They did streamline Minor Summoning during HSN. Demons are easier to summon, will not enter town if not illusioned, and the illusions are indefinite.

Have a look at the updated wiki: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Minor_Summoning_%28725%29

But, yeah, you are right to say, "There is little advantage to having more than 50 ranks of demonology." This was the same before and after recent changes. I haven't looked at all of the lore seeds but I know 52 ranks of demonology provides the next tier for phase, i.e. 26 pounds.
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 07:28 PM CDT
That's great, a nice step in the right direction. Now have illusions never come off once applied.

Again though a warding version would be a great step into trying to make demonology back on par with necromancy. It seems to be a hard thing to balance and they keep just shifting all the weight from one side of the scale to the other. I remember when there was almost no point in training necromancy unless you wanted to tear your hair out animating things. Now you'd be crazy not to (or just have rp reasons).
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 07:31 PM CDT

>Now have illusions never come off once applied.

If you read the link in Silvean's post, you will see that that is how it works.
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 07:45 PM CDT
I did, and that not what it says.

<<Though demon illusions are permanent until dispelled, certain demons performing particular actions will cause the illusion to drop as well.>>

Drauz
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 08:00 PM CDT

<<Though demon illusions are permanent until dispelled, certain demons performing particular actions will cause the illusion to drop as well.>>

It's not dropping off after a timer runs out anymore. I believe that is what the poster was referring to, since the demon won't even follow you into town unillusioned unless you allow it to, but perhaps I was wrong.
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 08:08 PM CDT
What happens when you X-realms travel into a town with an unillusioned demon summoned?
Re: Balefire Request 09/17/2015 08:10 PM CDT
And I was saying that this was a step in the right direction, but that I want that illusion to never come off once applied unless I specifically take it off. No actions it can take will take it off.

Drauz
Re: Balefire Request 09/25/2015 11:15 AM CDT
I apologize for not reading through the entire thread, but I think we're looking at the wrong spell to fill this need.

The correct spell for review would be 718.

Torment could be an amazing spell, but it is currently very very lacking in value. Demonology does improve 718, but it doesn't improve it in all the right ways, and no attack spell that I can think of (outside of 525) comes with the inherent risk of killing the caster. This spell is not so overwhelmingly powerful that it should pose such a significant risk to the caster.

I'd love to see how often 718 is being used because it it's current for, the spell is lack-luster at best. I have found one niche use for the spell, but that niche takes a ton of micromanagement.

Balefire serves a valuable purpose for Sorcerers. It's a great spell for spell aim enthusiasts, and handles swarms well when trained for that purpose. I see no reason to tweak 713. I can post at least a dozen reasons why 718 should be tweaked for the "kill squares" niche that is being discussed.
Re: Balefire Request 09/25/2015 11:24 AM CDT

>Torment could be an amazing spell, but it is currently very very lacking in value. Demonology does improve 718, but it doesn't improve it in all the right ways, and no attack spell that I can think of (outside of 525) comes with the inherent risk of killing the caster. This spell is not so overwhelmingly powerful that it should pose such a significant risk to the caster.

yes, totally agree. It needs some sort of awesome attack/defense bonuses with a demon present. Maybe apply the same flaring chance from Balefire, double flare for the higher spell level.
Re: Balefire Request 09/25/2015 03:02 PM CDT
<<<Torment could be an amazing spell, but it is currently very very lacking in value. Demonology does improve 718, but it doesn't improve it in all the right ways, and no attack spell that I can think of (outside of 525) comes with the inherent risk of killing the caster. This spell is not so overwhelmingly powerful that it should pose such a significant risk to the caster.>>>

Torment is dangerous to use, yes. But it's essentially a guaranteed kill for 18 mana, provided nothing goes wrong in the process. Most "mishaps" can be prevented by the caster--stance, crowd control, etc. I think it's a great spell and is definitely part of my typical arsenal. Probably my biggest complaint is the "immune to unbalancing" that make it useless (and very dangerous to cast) on some critters. This is a demonic presence attacking--it should not have such a flaw.

~ GtG
Re: Balefire Request 09/27/2015 10:03 AM CDT
<<<Torment is dangerous to use, yes. But it's essentially a guaranteed kill for 18 mana, provided nothing goes wrong in the process. Most "mishaps" can be prevented by the caster--stance, crowd control, etc. I think it's a great spell and is definitely part of my typical arsenal. Probably my biggest complaint is the "immune to unbalancing" that make it useless (and very dangerous to cast) on some critters. This is a demonic presence attacking--it should not have such a flaw. >>>

I found that Torment took me longer to kill a square target, despite offensive and stunned, than just using 3x pain. The setup and risk did not outweigh the additional ~20 mana of using my regular pain, pain, pain followed by 702 if they aren't already dead.

Against pures it works pretty fast. However, I can just 719 a pure and that usually does the trick in one cast anyway for less mana than 718 and much faster.

718 should be re-tuned to be our most useful square killing spell. The mechanics behind 718 make no sense. There isn't a single spell that imposes such a large risk to the caster outside of 525 (which also needs a major review), nor is it worth using when you consider time vs mana. Give the caster control of the subsequent casts for no additional mana (re-cast when the timer is up). Reduce the time between cycles with lore training. Make it so you can completely mitigate the risk of using the spell. Increase the crit thresholds via lore training(not just damage). Make it link up with summoned demons for extra flares. And finally, it should basically bypass armor and inflict maximum damage regardless of target (in case it doesn't already).

I'm glad you like the spell personally, but I imagine that you are the absolute minority. If Simu posted the number of times this spell is cast (which they apparently track), I imagine it is one of the least used Sorcerer spells in the game, if not the least used spell.
Re: Balefire Request 09/27/2015 11:07 AM CDT
Without getting in to all the banter, I basically like this proposal.

It's kind of like "See what happened to 705 during HSN? Please do the opposite to 713."

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Balefire Request 09/27/2015 08:48 PM CDT
One thing that would make 718 more useful for me would be if you got the TD pushdown on the initial cast. I'm only level 20 so it I still have trouble getting a warding on armored creatures and this would make the spell pretty useful for me. Maybe require channeling for this effect so that the offensive stance has actual meaning?

Would that be OP?
Re: Balefire Request 09/28/2015 02:13 AM CDT
As long as 718 is off yet on topic.

1) Make it not suck with bounties, k thx

That's the number one reason I tried that spell and said, "Wow this blows."

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Balefire Request 09/28/2015 02:15 AM CDT
Seems ironic the "room-away" spell I actually used (709) got pulled, while 718 just sat there in torment.